daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #1101
Dimethyltryptamine

Likes (Received): 6445

I wouldn't go that far... but London is doing well for itself.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1102
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
With Heron Tower, the Shard and now this tower, London seems to be breaking one speed record after another, easily rivaling the construction pace of Dubai and China...
Not at all - just go onto skyscraperpage to see how much more there is in Dubai or China
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1103
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

I think both of you didn't properly read what I wrote. When I said "construction pace" I was obviously referring to the speed of the individual projects (as the first half of my sentence should have made clear), not the pace at which new projects come to be.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #1104
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7150

This will be the Shard of the City, two rivals overlooking eachother.
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #1105
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Likes (Received): 0

It's become a bit of a lughing matter to me now with how much construction is going on all over the world in very random cities. I mean some nowhere places in China are building 2000ft scrapers!! How the hell they make that pay is beyond me even with cheap labour! Construction economics seems to be a side issue!

Think how long we waited for LBT and yet random boxes are going up as 'foot buildings' at 1050ft/1100ft in China to their bigger brother centre pieces which seem to be going into hypertall mode!
RichW1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #1106
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
This will be the Shard of the City, two rivals overlooking eachother.
Just thinking it will be very interesting on the skyline because AOD these two buildings will be a lot closer in height to each other than the 73ft roof height differential would suggest!
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1107
PortoNuts

I agree, the construction sector should never get too large, especially when we are talking about skyscrapers. Building randomly is very dangerous because eventually an economic downturn will arrive and the fall is big.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1108
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
I agree, the construction sector should never get too large, especially when we are talking about skyscrapers. Building randomly is very dangerous because eventually an economic downturn will arrive and the fall is big.
Thing is, an economic collapse is the least China should worry about. Just look at their surpluses! They managed to endure the recent recession unscathed.

Dubai I am a little worried about, though. The vacancy rates there are beyond imaginable yet they continue to build.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1109
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichW1 View Post
I mean some nowhere places in China are building 2000ft scrapers!!
Calling Shanghai and Shenzhen "nowhere places" makes your attempt at trolling a tad too transparent, don't you think? Always keep in mind that subtlety is the key to successful internet trolling.
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:27 AM   #1110
Turbosnail

Quote:
I think both of you didn't properly read what I wrote. When I said "construction pace" I was obviously referring to the speed of the individual projects (as the first half of my sentence should have made clear), not the pace at which new projects come to be.
Oh yes.. obviously..
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1111
jayo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Calling Shanghai and Shenzhen "nowhere places" makes your attempt at trolling a tad too transparent, don't you think? Always keep in mind that subtlety is the key to successful internet trolling.
Oh c'mon, give the guy a break.

You can see what he means. The large majority of people have probably never heard of these cities. And by these cities, I'm not talking about Shanghai and Shenzhen, I'm talking about the smaller Chinese cities that RichW1 was probably referring too, for example, Chengdu, Dalian, Wuhan, Nanjing.etc
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1112
droneriot
Urban Hermit

None of these cities happen to be building towers above 2,000ft or 600m, that's why I named only Shanghai and Shenzen, currently the only two cities building towers of such height.

On a sidenote, people who've never heard of Nanjing should really brush up on their WW2 history, it's as notable a name there as Pearl Harbour, Stalingrad or Auschwitz.

In all fairness you do have a point of course. There are quite a few cities in China that I hadn't heard about before I joined this forum. Checking up on some of them on Wikipedia however I was surprised that most of them have more inhabitants than many major cities in North America. In the United States some people with a quarter million inhabitants have skylines with buildings above 200m, so it makes sense that a Chinese city with ten times as many inhabitants would build supertall...
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1113
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
Thing is, an economic collapse is the least China should worry about. Just look at their surpluses! They managed to endure the recent recession unscathed.

Dubai I am a little worried about, though. The vacancy rates there are beyond imaginable yet they continue to build.
I wasn't talking particularly about China but I don't think that building ramdomly is very good in the long run, even for China.
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:22 AM   #1114
PortoNuts

From August 29th

by essjaybee.

Old September 1st, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1115
Turbosnail

This video shows the tower once built in it's surroundings - from BBC Britain from above -

http://www.londonandnyc.com/2010/08/...cityscape.html
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:12 AM   #1116
RichW1
In Pursuit Of The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo View Post
Oh c'mon, give the guy a break.

You can see what he means. The large majority of people have probably never heard of these cities. And by these cities, I'm not talking about Shanghai and Shenzhen, I'm talking about the smaller Chinese cities that RichW1 was probably referring too, for example, Chengdu, Dalian, Wuhan, Nanjing.etc
Thanks Jayo, that was exactly what I meant! To be fair I did go a little over the top with 2000ft but those 'random cities' I was referring to that you mentioned do have ranges from 1076 ft in Wuxi to 1,972ft in Mecca. Hardly global financial household names to be home to such heights!!

Quote:
None of these cities happen to be building towers above 2,000ft or 600m, that's why I named only Shanghai and Shenzen, currently the only two cities building towers of such height.

On a sidenote, people who've never heard of Nanjing should really brush up on their WW2 history, it's as notable a name there as Pearl Harbour, Stalingrad or Auschwitz.

In all fairness you do have a point of course. There are quite a few cities in China that I hadn't heard about before I joined this forum. Checking up on some of them on Wikipedia however I was surprised that most of them have more inhabitants than many major cities in North America. In the United States some people with a quarter million inhabitants have skylines with buildings above 200m, so it makes sense that a Chinese city with ten times as many inhabitants would build supertall...
ok to be fair you have a point with the 2000ft marker as I've said above, but also read above you'll get my point.
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1117
JLAG

Likes (Received): 504

Really good looking video. I especially like it after 45 seconds when you see all the glory in one shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
This video shows the tower once built in it's surroundings - from BBC Britain from above -

http://www.londonandnyc.com/2010/08/...cityscape.html
JLAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 01:24 PM   #1118
MissyC

Just came back from London ...

and I made it all to the top of Saint Paul's Cathedral where I could make some new pictures on this trip and I was myself very much amazed at the fast pace London is changing and getting ready to become the New York of Europe, which it already is.

I ll post some pics soon ...
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1119
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

The core has apparently started rising, verified by two forumers. No pictures yet. Doubt it will be long though
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1120
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
I ll post some pics soon ...
Looking forward for them. As Heron Tower steps down from the spotlight, this one replaces it.

Tags
britain, london