daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1841
Frankus Maximus

Likes (Received): 735

This one has been on hold before, let's hope they secure a prelet and continue to build.
We still have the Shard (309m), Leadenhall (225m), St George Tower (181m), 100 Bishopsgate (172m), 20 Fenchurch St (160m) all under construction.
Frankus Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1842
CompayEE
CompayEE

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud32 View Post

Thanks for the info... what a let down.
Hopefully it is just a false alarm. We shall see...

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/...N/article.html

Of the three towers already under construction, the tallest will be the so-called Pinnacle, or Bishopsgate Tower. It is being privately funded by Arab Investments, a vehicle controlled by investors from Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, so there’s no public disclosure of the construction schedule or strategy. Construction restarted last summer, just in time for City sentiment to sour. I wouldn’t be surprised if it were halted again - or permanently.
CompayEE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #1843
Willrocks10
Waffles

Likes (Received): 10

Have they given up???
Willrocks10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1844
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompayEE View Post
Bad news, please don't kill the messenger
thanks for sharing the article but this is a bad news
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1845
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 815

This skyscraper is going to the the centerpiece of the city cluster, they can't put it on hold or cancel it!
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1846
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7139

by lumberjack.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr
Old January 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #1847
CompayEE
CompayEE

Likes (Received): 29

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-6294117.html

News > UK > Home News

Funding worries and lack of tenants force developer to halt work on 63-storey, £800m office block

Rob Hastings, Wednesday 25 January 2012

Construction of the City of London's tallest skyscraper has been stopped at just the seventh floor amid funding concerns, with serious doubts that the 63-storey office block will ever be finished.

A failure to sign up any major tenants has left the £800m Bishopsgate Tower – commonly known as "the Pinnacle" – indefinitely stunted. Prospective occupants are said to be scared of committing to costly office rental deals while the eurozone is in the grip of financial crisis.

Located at the heart of London's financial district, the Pinnacle is one of Britain's key architectural projects. Its intended height of 288m would make it Europe's second-tallest skyscraper after the Shard, which has almost been completed on the other side of the River Thames at London Bridge.

Yet with its main investor calling builders off the site two weeks ago, the ugly concrete stump left behind is a worrying sign for developers of other towers in the capital. The Pinnacle, the Shard, the "Cheesegrater" at 122 Leadenhall Street, the "Walkie Talkie" at 20 Fenchurch Street and the Bishopsgate Tower – all at varying degrees of completion – have reportedly signed only one office rental deal between them.

The news comes at an alarming time for commercial property developers across the world. A lack of clients for the 80-storey Three World Trade Centre – one of the skyscrapers replacing the twin towers at Ground Zero in New York – means it may instead have to become a mere seven-storey shopping centre.

A fortnight ago, a report by Barclays Capital warned of an "unhealthy correlation" between the skyscrapers being built and recessions following swiftly afterwards. However, Jack Sidders, of Construction News magazine, said the Pinnacle had encountered particular problems because of its innovative design. Featuring what the construction firm Brookfield describes as a "distinctive snakeskin façade spiralling to the top", it was initially nicknamed the "Helter Skelter".

"Most big corporations these days are looking for very large, open-plan spaces with flexible working space, and the tapered design of the Pinnacle is making that more difficult," said Mr Sidders. "At the moment I think it's anyone's guess what will happen with the Pinnacle."

A spokesman for the developer, Arab Investments, confirmed yesterday that work on the site had halted but refused to comment on what negotiations were taking place.

The ambitious building experienced a troubled conception. Work was delayed in 2010 while Arab Investments put together a deal involving a £500m debt facility from a collection of banks and private consortia. By the time it resumed last September, the completion date had slipped back to 2015.

The prospect of a large building site left dormant will no doubt concern the City of London Corporation, but a spokesman declined to comment on whether the authority would offer help to recruit tenants for the Pinnacle.

Meanwhile, London's other skyscrapers will continue to search for tenants. "There is widespread market sentiment that anybody building a big skyscraper at the moment is doing so in a pretty tough market," said Mr Sidders. "It would not be too surprising if other schemes were to encounter similar hurdles."

He added that the developers of the Cheesegrater and the Walkie Talkie had chosen different strategies to fill their buildings, which offered hope that they should be finished without any repeats of the stoppage at the Pinnacle.

What goes up often comes down to the weather

Rob Hastings' view from the top

For builders working on any skyscraper, abrupt stoppages to their incredibly complex operations are frustrating. Last year I went behind the scenes at the Shard – or rather above them – by visiting the cabin of the crane which dictated much of the construction work from 259m above the streets of London.

As I talked to some of the steel erectors and window cladders, it quickly became apparent how intertwined are the various parts of such a complex project. Each relies on teams from many other companies – and other countries – to keep their work on schedule.

Even without money worries in the equation, the weather is often enough to halt the work. High winds force cranes to shut down for hours, preventing materials and machinery from reaching any level of the building. For this reason, when conditions are right, construction continues at all hours, according to plans drawn up by a project manager.

London's skyscraper building boom means several of the new generation of towers have been under construction at once recently, with architects and developers criticised for simply prioritising height above all other design attributes. But in doing so, their ambitions have certainly helped the construction industry.

Work on the Pinnacle was temporarily halted at a relatively early stage, having only reached the seventh floor before builders were called off. That means the hiatus came before many of the contractors needed to turn a concrete core into a steel skeleton and then a fully fleshed-out building had arrived on site.

Nevertheless, such a pause will affect many different workers – from the concrete suppliers and lorry drivers bringing materials to the site, to crane drivers and their loading assistants below
CompayEE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #1848
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Damn it!!!...well, let's stay positive and hope for the best.

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #1849
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Stunning building... Wow, i hope we see progress soon.. this is too beautiful, exquisite. A true work of art.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #1850
PortoNuts

The focus now goes to Leadenhall and the Walkie Talkie. Hope this one will restart soon.
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #1851
Willrocks10
Waffles

Likes (Received): 10

A BIG shame. If the worst comes to the worst we will still have the Shard, Leadenhall and Fenchurch under construction. Lets hope the government gets their act together because to me all they have done is just cutting back our armed forces which by the way is not a good idea.
Willrocks10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1852
PortoNuts

Contrary to most people, I like the Leadenhall project as much as I like this one so I hope that one keeps up the good pace.
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #1853
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Contrary to most people, I like the Leadenhall project as much as I like this one so I hope that one keeps up the good pace.
I concur, that building is just as in interesting in design. I prefer the BGT though.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #1854
PortoNuts

Bishopgate is the bigger tower, therefore the project that will most likely redefine the City's skyline. But it's not as if Leadenhall doesn't matter. At least that's the idea one get from some comments.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1855
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8733

This tower is on hold now?

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1856
matt_12

Likes (Received): 3

What a shame.. Fingers crossed they will restart soon
matt_12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1857
Mariosantiaguino
Urbano

Likes (Received): 11356

Quote:
Originally Posted by I(L)WTC View Post
This tower is on hold now?
Apparently yes, damn it. Is one of my favorite skyscraper in the world
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #1858
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1859
PortoNuts

About 2 years ago almost all major projects were on hold, so this won't spoil all the rest that's going on.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM   #1860
Andre_Filipe
On The Horizon

Likes (Received): 5251

Yeah this was my favourite project in London, disappointed its on hold.
Andre_Filipe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, london