daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #21
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
That's true, for older patrons and those with mobility problems, it's going to be quite irratating to navigate. Heck, I wouldn't want to have to go through a dozen escalators to see the museum. Is this fairly close to the central core of Guadalajara? It doesn't look like there's much surrounding the Guggenheim. How'd they choose Guadalajara (over other cities like Monterrey, etc.)?

Guadalajara is a very cultural town. I don't think there is another city in Mexico that could support this kind of museum. This is the second most populous city in Mexico with 4 to 5 million people in the metro area. I don't know what is happening in Guadalajara! Super-proyects seem to be appearing all over the place!

This is literatly on one of the edges of the city. The city can't grow in that direction because of the canyon unless they build a bridge there (which I hope they won't).
Christianmx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #22
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse
Two, I think it is a very poor solution for this site. It's just so arrogant IMO.

That is what Hani Rashid from Asymptote said! I guess you either hate it or your love it.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #23
Tapatio Oriental
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

This is the place where the Guggenheim Guadalajara will be built.

Tapatio Oriental no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #24
jordygr
Jordy-GDL

Simply the best choice.

Great.
jordygr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:49 AM   #25
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Seeing the pics of Tapatio Oriental shows that its not actually in the middle of nowhere, just at the very border of the city. With that in mind I think that the project is great, although 180m might be a bit too much for a spot like this. I also like the school of architecture, those students are lucky as shit. I would kill for a Guggenheim to be built next to my school of architecture

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #26
dewback

I am glad they picked Guadalajara over Monterrey and Mexico City, and the selected design makes justice to the architectural hype behind any Guggenheim museum. Also, the site looks wonderful.
dewback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #27
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

I prefer the Jean Nouvel design, oh well i suppose they wanted a more 'iconic' building...
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM   #28
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2308

Very good news. I can't think of any better city or design for the project. This will surely be a great project in Guadalajara's belt of upcoming projects.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:44 PM   #29
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

the location is totally superb...................
and white really look good............
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #30
dewback

Something tells me that they are going to use this new museum and the tower they are building as a possible hook in case the city decides to bid for the 2016 games.
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #31
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Are they thinking about a bid for the 2016 Olympic games?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:20 PM   #32
dewback

If Europe wins the 2012 bid (most likely), that would make any New York 2016 bid the favorite. I have heard rumors that Monterrey was going to bid for 2016, but Guadalajara might give us a surprise and defeat Monterrey for the national primaries.
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #33
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Are they thinking about a bid for the 2016 Olympic games?

2020 is what has been said
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #34
samsonyuen
SSLL

And don't forget that a bid from South Africa or South America (Cape Town, Johannesburg, Sao Paolo, Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires) would be cities in regions that haven't had it. I think one of these cities will get 2016 regardless of the outcome of the 2012 games (that I think London or Paris will get). I think 2020 is a good chance for Mexico to get the Olympics. No return to Mexico city though? Isn't most of the infrastructure already there?
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #35
samsonyuen
SSLL

PS Sorry for hijacking this thread.
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:26 AM   #36
dewback

Mexico City is over-populated and has serious problems with crime (abductions), pollution, and traffic. That is one of the reasons why a Guggenheim museum wouldn't end there.
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #37
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianmx
It could have been worse if you think about it! They could have picked Dallas for example! There patrons would have to drive 45 minutes to an hour from there suburb to the museum on the highway! Or worse yet! Tampa!!!
Hmm thats really funny considering that in Tampa they would probably put thins in a much better location most likely waterfront and more people have heard of and go to Tampa then Guadalajara and Tampa already has several world class arts facilities so probably wouldve been better here. And as for Dallas well your city makes dallas look more urban with its endless looking sprawl so how long will it take well considering 45 minustes drive would be a distance of 30 miles well i wonder which would take longer. Dallas excellent highway system or your not so great highway system i wonder?? I do take back my first comment the 1st picture made it look like it was in the middle of nowhere but its just on an outskirt
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #38
DONI'84

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl
Hmm thats really funny considering that in Tampa they would probably put thins in a much better location most likely waterfront and more people have heard of and go to Tampa then Guadalajara and Tampa already has several world class arts facilities so probably wouldve been better here. And as for Dallas well your city makes dallas look more urban with its endless looking sprawl so how long will it take well considering 45 minustes drive would be a distance of 30 miles well i wonder which would take longer. Dallas excellent highway system or your not so great highway system i wonder?? I do take back my first comment the 1st picture made it look like it was in the middle of nowhere but its just on an outskirt

Tampa, more visited than Guadalajara? Hehe, perhaps by all those middle americans who don't even know what art is. All they want to see is football and drink beer. That rowdy boisterous crowd.. who wants them as visitors! Tampa isn't a great city, and if you ask me, the only city worth visiting in Florida is Miami-South Beach. As for Dallas, yee-haw!, I live in SF, a true American World Class city, and anything that comes from Texas is looked down at, but Dallas is special.. I like the city, but it's such a young city compared to Guadalajara. I think you get ahead of yourself and yap yap without knowing what you're talking about.. which makes you an absolute ignorant, but then again, you're from Tampa so how can I blame you...
DONI'84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #39
Apoc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

^
As for the museum...I totally love it!....First torrena now this?...GDL is getting some pretty good projects lately
Apoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:37 AM   #40
Phriggin' Ogre
American't

Location: Central Washington[currently] Greater Los Angeles California, Greater Guadalajara, Jalisco[formerly]
Likes (Received): 2308

^Who cares about Torrena when you're getting the JVC?! The JVC is imo Guadalajara's best upcoming mega project. With all of these projects, Guadalajara's status will surely skyrocket... that's just my safe bet.