daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #41
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

My building has huge balconies, that more resemble a small room. In fact, most tenants in my building have installed windows where the balcony ledge was, which turns it into a small room guarded from the elements. Mine doesnt stick out at all from the building, if it was only higher than 4 floors!! I wonder how one like mine would perform real high up?
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #42
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Hong Kong
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #43
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
A 70th-floor balcony that's 8-10 feet deep, but only projects 2 or 3 feet from the building (with the remainder set in to the building) and has a 5 foot high faux-stone outer wall with a "thick" foot-deep "crown" at the top would be cool -- offering cave-like shelter and psychological & physical protection from which residents could cautiously emerge on their own terms when they're READY to experience the awesome view. The faux stone is important -- psychologically, it says "this is solid, thick, safe, and sheltering".

A 30th-floor balcony that's a 4-foot deep by 10 foot wide slab of 3" thick post-tensioned concrete projecting out from the outer wall, surrounded by a metal railing, is almost GUARANTEED to be a terrifyingly unpleasant and stressful place to be, where just about anyone would feel naked, vulnerable, and exposed. Even someone who's an engineer and knows all about post-tensioned concrete is going to feel that nagging, visceral, low-level emotional fear that says, "the floor is going to crack and break off, and I'm going to fall to my death". Or, "that railing looks flimsy. If I lean on it, it's going to snap". And, of course, with no sheltering sides set into the building itself, anyone standing there is going to be fully visible to the neighbors & have no privacy, and be subjected to the full force of any winds blowing at that height.

The most important trait of ANY balcony is a sense of protection and safety. At the very least, a balcony should be at least 8-10 feet deep, and at least 4-6 feet of it should be set back into the building to create a sheltered transition zone between the protected indoors and exposed outdoors.

Think about the balconies you've been on. Which ones were pleasant? Which ones did you really HATE, and couldn't wait to get back inside? The two WORST ones I've experienced were both in Miami. One was a 20th-story hotel room somewhere in Miami Beach from a 60s/70s era building. Hundreds of tiny little slabs projecting naked from the beach side of the building. Absolutely horrible. The other was yet another hotel room where a friend was staying and was even worse... little more than a sliding glass door with metal railing along the outside to lean over. Useless as a balcony, and terrifying to stand near because it looked too flimsy to lean on.
It may be professionally damaging for me to post this, but here's something to make you feel more uncomfortable about balconies:

Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #44
xperia1231

Likes (Received): 0

If you look closely though the glass windows you can the the original arches that use to be the entrance.
xperia1231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:40 AM   #45
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Likes (Received): 710

Chateau Puerto Madero, 50 floors. Buenos Aires, Argentina

LukeNNicole liked this post
gnzlnho no está en línea   Reply With Quote