daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #61
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

some updates

...unfortunately not of the construction sites, hardly possible to get there and figure out which tower is where...

thanks to samovar:

[IMG]http://************/e0mkjo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/e0mtes.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/e0mvpz.jpg[/IMG]

1. Liberty House
Cost: AED 450 million
60 storey, commercial-residential
372 residential units
Completion: 2007

2. al-Fattan Towers
Two towers, 50 storeys residential, 15 storeys offices

3. Sky Gardens
Cost: AED 500 million
47 storeys, residential (575 units)

4. Emirates Financial
Two towers, residential-commercial, 26 storeys each

5. Name unspecified
Cost: AED 1.25 billion
Two towers, residential/commercial
50 storeys each
Completion: unspecified

6. Daman Towers
Cost: AED 1.26 billion
Three buildings, commercial-residential-hotel
Expected completion: 2008

[IMG]http://************/e0mz6g.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/e0mzau.jpg[/IMG]

7. Park Towers
Cost: AED 600 million
Two towers, 30 storeys each, residential
Completion: 2008

8. The Ritz Carlton
Cost: AED 1.5 billion
18 storeys, hotel, 330 rooms

9. Park Lane Apts
Cost: AED 1.5 billion
Residential

10. One Central Park
Cost: AED 1.8 billion
80 storeys, commercial

SZR on the left:

[IMG]http://************/e0n1o0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/e0n1u8.jpg[/IMG]

New towers:

Al Fattan tower:

[IMG]http://************/e0n2fo.jpg[/IMG]

Dubai Holding Tower:

[IMG]http://************/e0n2no.jpg[/IMG]
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #62
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI
I dont see why people cant walk in the heat, as long as it is less than a 15-20 min walk; there is no reason not too. other than being lazy.

hahaha no man. trust me, i was the poor kid. my friends used to go around in taxis and shit. i had a couple of dirhams for transport which means... public transit! i waited 20mins in alghubaiba bus station, 20 mins in satwa bus station, 20 mins on SZR waiting for buses. i got SOAKED with sweat. it sucked man
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:45 PM   #63
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Likes (Received): 19

Dubai is a marvel, but how can the city support all the development? Can someone from Dubai explain how a city with a small population, in the middle of the desert can afford to do so many wonderful things?!

I mean there must be corporate demand or residential demand for all of these towers to fill up. Or is it just the the plight of a vane, idealistic government?

Dino Domingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #64
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

don't insult the govt it turned dubai from a desert city to a globally important hub in the middle east, a tourist's paradise and the fastest growing city in the world.

there is a huge demand, towers and projects are sold out within days, even hours.
of course it is sold to investors too, but 200000 people are moving to dubai every year , for example, and a lot of people buy apts as 2nd or 3rd home as well.

business:
well jebel ali free zone is home to over 2000 companies, and there are projects like media or internet city, or dubai silicon oasis which are perfect for major companies in that fields.
for example MS or HP and siemens have their regional HQ there.

another point is the superb location: the airport is one of the busiest in the world, 6m people a year, expected to double by 2010. huge extension underway.
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #65
DGM

Likes (Received): 570

Considering that this is a city that is developing over night (figuratively speaking) it is a shame that they don't encorporate a functioning mass transit system into the city lay out. Take it from a resident of miami, as soon as the city is no longer a tourist hub the city's population starts to grow you will want mass transit. Anyways I'd love to see that 37,000 car garage (which may be one of the largest in the world) in maybe 50 to 100 years when oil fields begin to run dry. It will be highly symbolic of this era of over-consumption. On a side note, does anyone know where the largest parking lot/garage is in the world? im just curious.
DGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #66
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
another point is the superb location: the airport is one of the busiest in the world, 6m people a year, expected to double by 2010. huge extension underway.
currently 23 million passenger traveling via dubai airport ,when the expansion completed it will be able to handle 60 million ,dont forget JA airport with staggering capacity of 16o million passenger with 6 runways

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:16 AM   #67
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM
Considering that this is a city that is developing over night (figuratively speaking) it is a shame that they don't encorporate a functioning mass transit system into the city lay out. Take it from a resident of miami, as soon as the city is no longer a tourist hub the city's population starts to grow you will want mass transit. Anyways I'd love to see that 37,000 car garage (which may be one of the largest in the world) in maybe 50 to 100 years when oil fields begin to run dry. It will be highly symbolic of this era of over-consumption. On a side note, does anyone know where the largest parking lot/garage is in the world? im just curious.
i believe ,the largest parking is in abu dhabi i saw it once in FHM

Old September 29th, 2005, 12:17 AM   #68
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM

very good point
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #69
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoulikimou
currently 23 million passenger traveling via dubai airport ,when the expansion completed it will be able to handle 60 million ,dont forget JA airport with staggering capacity of 16o million passenger with 6 runways

right i messed up with the figures i read today.it was in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM

first a metro is UC already. and you should see the roads currently UC no other city can compete with that it is unbelievable.
agree with you i could have been done earlier.

but then you think of 50 to 100 years time, and want a tranist within 1 year,little bit of a paradoxum, isn't it.
nevertheless i hope within 50 years we won't need oil to drive our cars, and that parking space will be full of either hybrid or H˛ cars.

and show me any city which is not full of cars today...
Old September 29th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #70
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I really like this project actually because it's not just another project that adds office space and nothing else. If you read the UAE forums you'll see this one has been very successful so far. Also the size is more reasonable than some of the others.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #71
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 248

The biggest car park is in Los Angeles, USA
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #72
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

i was surfing the web and West Edmonton Mall claim that they have the world largest car park holds 20,000 vehicles.!!!

Old September 29th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #73
Khanabadosh

Likes (Received): 14

Well Duabi is developing at supersonic speed. Unbelievable. I am surprised by the rediculous objections by some people.

Last edited by Khanabadosh; September 29th, 2005 at 02:04 PM.
Khanabadosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:42 AM   #74
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
don't insult the govt it turned dubai from a desert city to a globally important hub in the middle east, a tourist's paradise and the fastest growing city in the world.

there is a huge demand, towers and projects are sold out within days, even hours.
of course it is sold to investors too, but 200000 people are moving to dubai every year , for example, and a lot of people buy apts as 2nd or 3rd home as well.

business:
well jebel ali free zone is home to over 2000 companies, and there are projects like media or internet city, or dubai silicon oasis which are perfect for major companies in that fields.
for example MS or HP and siemens have their regional HQ there.

I was not insulting the government. I only asked for someone to explain it so that I could be more informed.
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #75
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanabadosh
Well Duabi is developing at supersonic speed. Unbelievable. I am surprised by the rediculous objections by some people.
Im not objecting. In fact, as I said, I think Dubai is a marvel. What is transpiring out there is absolutely incredible. I hope to visit Dubai some day when it is basking in all its glory.
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #76
c0kelitr0
Resident Whore

Likes (Received): 21

prepare for a hot shower all the time hehehe...u'll get what i mean!
c0kelitr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #77
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM

i understand what u mean in your first post on this thread. i guess the problem is that the dubai government probably didnt anticipate the level of growth during the last decade. it was only during the last 2-3 years that traffic has become a major problem in Dubai. before, there would be roads that would become clogged during rush hour, but the government simply upgraded them to 8-12 lane (both ways) highways and the problem was taken care of. now its gotten to the point where several major arteries even after being upgraded cannot handle the traffic. I left Dubai and moved to the US in 2000. back then, the roads were extensive, new, smooth and very open. i came back in dec 2004 and there was traffic EVERYWHERE. the planned metro has actually been pushed forward a couple of years to cope with the sudden surge in traffic. additionally, oil prices are so cheap (at least they were) that people really didnt think twice about public transit during the last decade. thankfully they are taking action now
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #78
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Domingo
I was not insulting the government. I only asked for someone to explain it so that I could be more informed.

sorry this wasn't meant offensive!! are you satisfied with the answers you got?
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #79
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
prepare for a hot shower all the time hehehe...u'll get what i mean!
Like rural australian towns during summer.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #80
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

I just visited this thread!

So many new towers!!, and that Dubai Holding Towers and Daman Towers look rediculously cool!!!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote