daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:36 PM   #181
AirJay78

Likes (Received): 0

If you meant the single tower design was bland and unispiring, then I agree. Bottom line, there needs to be a twin!!!
AirJay78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2005, 10:51 PM   #182
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 492

I was referring to single tower design. That's the current reality, after all. The two tower version is just a pipe dream. I would like it too if there were two towers. And I do think the old towers were bland - but they looked good because there were two of them. So if they did build a second tower, I wouldn't mind this design.

BUT don't count on the memorial design being changed in any substantial way. There's really been no debate on that at all, unlike the design for FT. So realistically, if you're going build a second tower, you will need to find another site for it, than the one in this rendering.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM   #183
CHANEL
WhAtEvEr

Likes (Received): 5

HOW TALL IS THIS BEAST GOING TO BE.
CHANEL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 11:59 PM   #184
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

541m or 1,776ft. A little cheesy really but oh well.

The height to the roof will be the same as the origional world trade centre towers at 1,3xx feet (can't remember the exact height).
crazyevildude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #185
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

I don't know but this might go down as the most over-rated tower ever. Solid design, but nothing stunning and innovative.
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #186
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 492

As far as I recall it is 1362 ft to the top of the main part of the roof, which was the height of one tower, and 1368 including the "attic", which was the height of the other tower - but I may be wrong on this.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #187
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25290

to tell you the truth I like the single-tower design over a twin-tower design (maybe even the the original twin towers). I'll have to wait until it's built to be sure.

Basically if someone asked me which should be built: the new single-tower design or a safer original twin towers design, I would choose the twin towers ony for nostalgic reasons.
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #188
Liz L

Likes (Received): 0

Well, it doesn't look as twisted and graceless as previous proposals, and it does have a nice, shiny-shiny glass curtain wall, but still...**GRUMBLE**

HellOOOO, people, whatever happened to Art Deco? *SIGH*
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #189
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Just build the bloody thing already!!!

Hopefully they'll adhere to STR's timeline.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #190
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/25/ny...pagewanted=all
Freedom Tower's 'Unique' Corners Found on Other Drawing Boards

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
Published: August 25, 2005

I DIDN'T know what the word chamfer meant," Gov. George E. Pataki confessed in June, "until I first had the chance to sit down with David and hear what he has done to create this unique element to set this building apart."

"David" is David M. Childs, a consulting partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. "This building" is the revised Freedom Tower at the World Trade Center site, which the governor was unveiling at the time. And "chamfer" describes a beveled or cutaway corner, which the new 1,776-foot Freedom Tower has abundantly.

"Unique" is another matter.

It turns out that a number of buildings and building projects - including one or two in Skidmore's own portfolio - have been designed with chamfered, tapering corners that create a multifaceted obelisk form out of isosceles triangles. No one is accusing Mr. Childs of appropriating this idea. But neither can he be said to have originated it.

"In any given moment in the history of various arts, things are in the air," said Robert A. M. Stern, the dean of the Yale School of Architecture. "So people in different parts of the world often come to very similar solutions."

Mr. Stern allowed that he had felt a "momentary frisson" on June 29 when he saw images of the revised Freedom Tower design on the Web. It bears a resemblance to the unbuilt 1,030-foot Pennsylvania Plaza project in Philadelphia, designed in 2000 by Robert A. M. Stern Architects and illustrated in a monograph of the firm's work.

Mr. Childs said he had never seen that monograph.

Rather, he said, the form of the Freedom Tower evolved logically from the building program, which called for smaller floors in the upper reaches of the building than those at the base. The cutaway corners, he said, paid subtle homage to the chamfered edges of the original trade center towers, which gave the pair an especially luminous outline.

Because only the corners taper, not the sides, the tower will appear from some directions to be almost perfectly rectangular, proportioned like one of the lost twins and just as tall. But from oblique angles, that evocative shape will give way to a gentle slope.

NEVER hesitant - in fact, quite learned - about citing historical antecedents for his own work, Mr. Childs mentioned Cleopatra's Needle, the Washington Monument and Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square as he described the new Freedom Tower.

"Iconic things tend to be simple," he said. And recurrent.

Carolina Y. C. Woo and Roger F. Duffy of Skidmore applied the tapering chamfer in 1994 to proposals for a 1,653-foot tower in the Wangjing City project in Beijing. (Another version had a bold diagonal grid and dramatically crimped corners that made it look like a precursor to the Hearst Tower by Foster & Partners, now under construction at Eighth Avenue and 57th Street.)

In the 1980's, Harry Weese of Chicago was experimenting with the form in a project for a supertall building. In the 1990's, William Pedersen of Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates gave the form a curve in his design for the 1,614-foot Shanghai World Financial Center.

And all these towers might be thought of as owing a debt to the 233-foot lighthouse at Cap Ferrat on the French Riviera, which was rebuilt after World War II.

But the search for architectural provenance is more than an academic exercise. In some cases, it has become a high-stakes pursuit.

Thomas Shine, an architect in Brookline, Mass., is suing Mr. Childs and Skidmore in federal court. He has charged them with copying the earlier Freedom Tower design, unveiled in 2003, from two of Mr. Shine's student projects of 1999, which Mr. Childs had an opportunity to see and admire as a jurist at the Yale School of Architecture.

Mr. Shine registered his work with the Copyright Office in 2004.

Skidmore insisted that the Freedom Tower design was an independent creation that differed substantially from Mr. Shine's projects, challenged the accuracy of several of his exhibits, questioned Mr. Shine's copyright claim and said that any similarities involved ideas, unoriginal material and functional elements that cannot be copyrighted.

On Aug. 10, however, Chief Judge Michael B. Mukasey ruled that the lawsuit could proceed, saying that a lay observer "might find that the Freedom Tower's twisting shape and undulating diamond-shaped facade make it substantially similar" to one of Mr. Shine's projects and "therefore an improper appropriation."

To date, the Zeckendorf family has not announced plans to sue over the use of the name "Freedom Tower," which the developer William Zeckendorf Sr. proposed in 1956 for a 1,750-foot structure in the West 30's.

William Lie Zeckendorf, one of his grandsons, recalled little about that unbuilt project other than the identity of the architectural firm working on the site at the time the first Freedom Tower was announced. It was Skidmore, Owings & Merrill.
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #191
firulais2005

Likes (Received): 1

i like it
firulais2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #192
United-States-of-America
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Great.
United-States-of-America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #193
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...l=nyc-swapbox1
Ground Zero developer Silverstein's "passion in life"

BY PRADNYA JOSHI
STAFF WRITER

August 27, 2005

Earlier this year, a rash of criticism and political finger-pointing virtually halted progress in rebuilding at Ground Zero.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver complained that too much attention was concentrated on the now-failed efforts for a West Side football stadium and not enough on rebuilding downtown.

Gov. George Pataki was blamed for ignoring the overtures from the New York Police Department, which as early as November 2003 had been privately pushing for changes it said were needed for the centerpiece building, Freedom Tower, to withstand a potential bomb attack. A new design was ordered up and unveiled this summer. Some issues remain unresolved, including the fate of the International Freedom Center and The Drawing Center, two museums proposed for the site. Many victims' families want both centers moved to another location. They argue that any exhibits at the site should commemorate the victims of the terrorist attacks.

Even as 7 World Trade Center nears completion, it has only one committed tenant to date -- Silverstein Properties. And critics have viewed the new Freedom Tower design more as a bunker than an accessible office building.

But when it comes to actually building the new office towers on the 16-acre site, private developer Larry Silverstein, 74, is perhaps the single most prominent force moving the construction forward.

Just six weeks before Sept. 11, 2001, he signed a 1,160-page, 99-year contract to lease 10 million square feet of office space at the World Trade Center from the Port Authority.

In an interview with Newsday, Silverstein said many of the problems that once mired progress are over now that Pataki named his chief of staff, John Cahill, to serve as the governor's point person for downtown redevelopment. Silverstein also said that by 2011, the public will see much of the completion of the efforts to rebuild at the World Trade Center:

Q: In a nutshell, what will citizens see in terms of rebuilding progress? What are the next priorities to tackle at the site?
A: 7 [World Trade Center] is nearing completion. We should have a temporary certificate of occupancy at the end this year. We will physically move people in the building in March of '06. In April of '06 you will see footings going into the ground at the base of the new Freedom Tower.

By '09, you will have the top out of steel for the Freedom Tower and by the end of '10, beginning of '11, you will have a finished building.

It will be 1,368 feet in height to the top of the building and 1,776 in height to the top of the mast antenna. It will reinstate the skyline and it will serve as an icon of the skyline of New York. If illuminated, it will be visible probably within a 50-mile radius of the city.

Its design is much better than the original Freedom Tower. It is majestic and exquisite in its simplicity and is really an elegant building.

Q: Are there plans to adjust anything?
A: At this point, it's done. It's moving forward as you've seen it and as the world has seen it.

In the not very distant future, we're going to be announcing the architect for Tower No. 2 so that we can do the plans for Tower No. 2 in '06, start construction of that in '07 and have that completed by 2011 as well. [In 2003, Silverstein named architects Norman Foster, Fumihiko Maki and Jean Nouvel to design Towers 2, 3, 4 & 5 but did not assign any particular tower to one architect.]

Construction will be starting shortly on the PATH terminal [being built by the Port Authority], so that will be completed by '09. The street grids will be completed by '09.

The memorial will be completed by '09. The new Broadway-Fulton subway stop expansion will be completed. ... All of this will be a fait accompli so that by '11 when the Freedom Tower is done and Tower No. 2 is done, the entire northern portion of the site, plus the memorial, plus the street grids, plus some retail, will all have been completed. The only thing left to do will be building Towers No. 3, 4 and 5, which will be sequenced I suspect in '13, '14 and '15.

Q: What does the success of this project mean to you personally?
A: It's a challenge, it's a privilege, it's an obligation. I signed a lease for 99 years, obligating me to pay $120 million a year in ground rent for the next 99 years, without abatement, increasing every five years.

That obligation also includes replacing or rebuilding anything that gets destroyed on the site and doing it as expeditiously as possible. So since it's my responsibility and my obligation and since my life was spared on 9/11, I simply made the decision to move forward aggressively to get it done to the best of my ability. [Silverstein missed his usual breakfast at Windows on the World because of a doctor's appointment.]

Q: How hard will it be to attract businesses to Freedom Tower particularly given that many critics say the design looks too much like a high-security bunker?
A: You have to reserve judgment as to what it looks like until you see what it looks like. Notwithstanding the fact that the building will have a massive blast wall at its base, it will be a magnificent-looking building. That is the challenge for the extraordinarily talented and creative architect who's designing the tower and that's David Childs [of the firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill].

Q: How has this changed the firm Silverstein Properties?
A: There's no question this has become the No. 1 project for us. This is our passion in life. It's our focus.
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #194
Dancer

Likes (Received): 253

I just want to say

BUILD TWINS AND BUILD THEM BIGGER
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #195
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

That is right!
NEW YORK deserves something BIGGER than FREEDOM TOWER!
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #196
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

I beleive I am the only person on earth that thought that the Twin Towers were amongst the ugliest, blandest boxes, ever built. New design looks alright.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #197
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

new york deserves a rainbow tower
Old August 29th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #198
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeTheOnly
I beleive I am the only person on earth that thought that the Twin Towers were amongst the ugliest, blandest boxes, ever built. New design looks alright.
No, I thought they were too....I think alot of people just like them because of what happened and they feel as if they should.

The new design is ok I suppose. It'd be nice to have something more special, but it'd be better if they just got on a built the damn thing.
crazyevildude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #199
Dancer

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
No, I thought they were too....I think alot of people just like them because of what happened and they feel as if they should.
I think you are right as far as them not being the beautiful buildings in their appearance. I think it was their innovative structure and shear size that made them beautiful to look at for me.
I think a lot of people feel a connection to the towers because of what happened on sep 11 but most people I’ve talked to in this forum, like my self, had a connection long before they were destroyed.
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #200
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayeTheOnly

yea they were ugly as ****,
alot of people here criticize boxy towers which aren't glassy and there designs outdated but yet they're the same ones who love the twin towers.

sorry but they were ugly,and they're gone so get over it.
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote