daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #201
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Just build the bloody thing already!!!

Hopefully they'll adhere to STR's timeline.
Even it is to be built, I doubt that it would be according to that timeline, b/c there is still no final design.

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #202
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^Yeah there is. The only claim there isn't one in case they have to do another re-design (which would be limited to the spire only),which they won't, because the current v3.0 design seems to have won general acceptance. Right now they're working on the structural blueprints and the detailed timetable, both of which will be done by the end of the year.

And besides Tal, the new design isn't THAT bad. No need to hate it so much. Sure, it could use a twin (as has been already brought up) but by itself it is no slouch.

The Freedom Tower is between 2WTC and the Sears Tower, just behind the John Hancock Center.

Last edited by STR; August 30th, 2005 at 12:57 AM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #203
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

I spot the BMO building!!!
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #204
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^Indeed you do.

http://skyscrapermodels.us/models/Fi...Place_TOR.html
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:24 AM   #205
Duopolis
Hong Kong lover

Likes (Received): 1

I'm sick of this whole f***ing Freedom Tower vision. Just call sir Foster!!!
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:03 AM   #206
TalB
Refugee

We could also have Ken Gardner and Herbert Belton give something better.
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:26 AM   #207
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

I think that same design, only around 1,600 feet tall. That would be much better, IMHO.
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:03 AM   #208
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

I agree that, architecturaly the original twin towers where not very special, and when I visited them for the first time back in 83, (my first visit to NYC) I was staying in Hoboken, and chose the third day of my visit, as the "Lower Manhatten" day, so the first two days i spent wandering around Midtown, and its architectural gems, (Rockafellar Center, being one of my favorite of alltime urban developments).

Of course, at various times, the twins would show themselves, but always in the distance. When i went into Lower Manhatten, my approch was from the PATH train, so i did not see anything of the twins, until i came out of the WTC PATH station, thru the South Tower lobby. I walked out on to the plaza, from the eastern side of South Tower, (from here, of course the North Tower was not visable......yet.!!!!) but i walked north, until the northern edge of South Tower, revealed North Tower. (the placment of the twins,or how they played off of each other, is one of the things i liked about them the most.!!!)

And it was at that point that i was struck by the sheer scale of the complex, the overwelming size and hugeness of it all hit me at once,.........and to this day nothing i've seen with my own eyes, built by man (tho Hoover Dam, and the Golden gate bridge, hold their own.) has left so lasting an impression as did the World Trade Center.

What pains me today, is the thought that three or four architects, all noteworthy, are to design towers for the site, and as we saw what happened with the Child's/Libskind "collaberation" what i'm afraid we'll end up with here is a group of towers with not only no connection to each other, but worse yet no connection to what was once there.

For this reason i'm glad I was able to see the World Trade Center, before it was destroyed,........ and will never have fogiveness to those that destroyed it.!
Old August 31st, 2005, 06:39 AM   #209
AirJay78

Likes (Received): 0

Well said!
AirJay78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:45 PM   #210
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-292084c.html
Mike, gov tout 10B WTC plan

BY DAVID SALTONSTALL
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

With the fourth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks nearing, Gov. Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg ventured to Ground Zero yesterday to tout future projects at the site that still remains a dusty pit.

Bloomberg and Pataki said $10 billion in public and private investment was planned for the disaster area, with many of the projects to begin within the next six months.

That includes the refortified Freedom Tower, a PATH hub designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, a Fulton St. transit center connecting 11 subway lines, the World Trade Center Memorial and eight surrounding office buildings.

But construction has not begun on any of those projects, giving yesterday's event - officially staged to announce construction of an underground concourse to connect the future transit hubs - a sense of far-away promise.

The Dey St. tunnel, for instance, isn't likely to be finished until 2007, while the Fulton St. transit center isn't scheduled to be done until 2008.

Both Bloomberg and Pataki have been criticized for the pace of rebuilding at Ground Zero, a 16-acre parcel that is owned by the Port Authority and largely controlled by the state.

But Bloomberg and Pataki clearly hoped to put the best face on upcoming projects before next month's anniversary ceremonies at Ground Zero, and the upcoming mayoral election.

Another ceremony, to break ground on the new PATH hub, is planned for next week.

"Taken together," Bloomberg said, "these projects are dramatic proof that lower Manhattan is re-asserting its rightful role in the life of New York, and as the financial center of the world."

Originally published on August 31, 2005
Old January 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #211
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2719

any new news?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #212
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

wow for freedom tower!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM   #213
aranetacoliseum
animo lasalle

Likes (Received): 40

sears tower is taller than taipei 101 if we base on spire.........
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:39 PM   #214
London
New York

sears doesnt have a spire, its an antena, which isnt classed as part of the building becasue its not apart of the design of the tower.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM   #215
TC03

Likes (Received): 102

It looks cool, but it's so anonymous. Not a worthy successor of the 'mighty' Twin Towers imo...
TC03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM   #216
gunners

i think this is just another way of america making a statement to the world, imo america is way behind the rest of the world in sky scraper design.
gunners no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #217
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

The tower is pretty good with the whole complex. W/ complex 8/10 w/o complex 5/10. It's interesting seing that beam of light coming up from the spire.
Old January 3rd, 2006, 10:28 PM   #218
Shmuckadoodle

Location: Greater Madchester, England, UK, Western Europe, Earth, Space (North)

Now THATS what they should build...

~Albert Einstein

City of peace
9462 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #219
Xeon
l i f t e d

Likes (Received): 1

@9462
I feel u man, If only.... geez I love that idea!!!!
Xeon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 02:49 AM   #220
TalB
Refugee

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_138/editorial.html

Volume 18 • Issue 33 | Dec. 30 - Jan. 5, 2005

Editorial

Put the Freedom Tower on hold

If tomorrow we could open the Freedom Tower as well as a new building to replace the shrouded Deutsche Bank building haunting the World Trade Center site, we’d be years ahead of where we are now but we’d have the same problem. The site would still look like a hole in the ground.

Rebuilding Church St. is the fastest way to bring life back to the site and that must be the urgent focus rather than constructing a symbolic building on West St. that will be hard to rent and may only increase the pessimism after it opens. Construction is ready to begin on the Freedom Tower in April but finding tenants there will be hard. As one business leader told us, the building has a constituency of one: Gov. George Pataki. W.T.C. developer Larry Silverstein originally wanted to build closer to Church St. first and he was right.

We were delighted that Silverstein announced two weeks ago that Norman Foster would design Tower 2 on Church and Vesey Sts. and even happier when Lord Foster told us his first priority for the corner is to make it lively. Many of our readers still longingly recall the corner where Borders Books helped make the W.T.C. mall the country’s most profitable per square foot. Tower 2 should be easier to rent because it will be adjacent to the magnificent train station where construction began last month.

With Silverstein’s continued problems renting out 7 W.T.C. across the street in spite of generous government incentives, it is foolish to rush into building the site’s least viable building. We are well aware of the real, collective psychological harm that will be caused by delaying construction yet again, but that short-term pain is well worth it if we can rebuild viable buildings quicker.

It doesn’t matter to us whether any officials acknowledge mistakes as they shift the focus, just that they do. But mea culpas are not hard and we’ll start. Up until now, we have criticized aspects of the rebuilding plans, but have endorsed the general thrust. We should have recognized sooner the danger of beginning construction on the site’s west side.

The Port Authority, which owns the site, says that Silverstein could start building Tower 2 in 2007 and Towers 3 and 4 in the middle of 2008, when the protective “bathtub” for the Church St. buildings is complete. The Port holds out the chance of speeding up the timetable by six months. It is clear to us that both parties need more of a sense of urgency on Church St. and they should commit right now to the fastest possible timetable. The Port should have been working sooner to design and build the bathtub — which they have known for years would be necessary. The P.A., which is controlled by Pataki and the governor of New Jersey, has had the money to begin constructing the protection at least since this summer when the Federal Transit Administration authorized it.

Mayor Mike Bloomberg has focused on the right issues as we prepare to build – getting as much of the construction done at the same time as possible and building buildings the marketplace will support. Most, if not all of the remaining $3.35 billion in Liberty Bonds should go to the W.T.C. but that money can be spent on hotels and retail stores in addition to offices. The P.A. should prepare the Church St. underground infrastructure, and bill back the developer later for the developer’s fair share.

As for the Freedom Tower, we are beyond symbolism, which does not translate to commercial viability.

Clarification
In the hard copy edition of the editorial in this week’s Downtown Express, the Port Authority claimed that developer Larry Silverstein would be able to begin foundation work at the World Trade Center site’s Church St. lots in the spring of 2006, but the P.A. has now retracted its assertion. Steve Coleman, a P.A. spokesperson, made the original claim, but in a followup interview after press time, Coleman said he was misinformed and withdrew his previous statements.