daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM   #61
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

that last render looks wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:37 PM   #62
Tonka Truck
Tonka Truck

Likes (Received): 0

If it's not the WTC, I doubt very much people will be calling it that. Either they'll call it FT or by some nickname.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
I wouldn't worry about the name too much. As soon as people have to call it their office someday, they'll start calling it WTC again instead of FT. It's really only politicians who call it by the silly name.
Tonka Truck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM   #63
Arttera
responsible content

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocStar
I agree. It has to be ‘Twin towers” in order to bring back NYC’s former glory that we all loved.
This is IT
Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:37 PM   #64
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_112/tower.html
Volume 18 • Issue 6 | July 1-7, 2005
Tower of fear, not freedom for some
By Josh Rogers with Ellen Keohane

View of the tower from the proposed World Trade Center memorial.

The new design changes to the Freedom Tower are intended to make the building the safest in the world but it may take time to convince Downtowners.

An unscientific sample of views of people who work or live near the World Trade Center site Wednesday revealed that many may not feel more nervous having a 1,776-foot building in the neighborhood, but they aren’t anxious to go inside the Freedom Tower once it is built at Fulton and West Sts.

“I just say good luck getting someone to work in there — they can’t even get people to lease that other building,” said Jacqueline, a 30-year-old administrative assistant who declined to give her last name. She works in the World Financial Center, and was referring to the nearly completed 7 World Trade Center which does not have a tenant yet.

Earlier in the day, Gov. George Pataki said he would be confident his children would be safe if they worked in the Freedom Tower.

“New Yorkers have always reached for the sky, and we are doing it today,” Pataki said June 29, the day the changes were announced. “We owe it to the heroes of Sept. 11 and we owe it to the generations to come.”

The security design features include a 200-foot base reinforced with metal that will also be reflective; a dense concrete core to protect the offices’ elevators, stairways and sprinkler systems; additional wider stairways; and biological and chemical filters.

The changes came after Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said the building design unveiled in December 2003 was too close to the streets. He issued a statement saying the changes answered the police department’s concerns limiting vehicular access on Vesey and Fulton Sts. and keeping traffic at least 65 feet from the building.

“The new Freedom Tower design incorporates standards the Police Department had sought to protect the building against bomb blasts, which our counter terrorism experts agree present one of the greatest threats to such iconic structures,” Kelly said.

David Childs, the building’s architect, said the security changes led to design improvements including creating room for two public plazas on the east and west sides of the building. The reinforcements at the base of the building pushed the occupied floors higher, thus making it possible to put the observation deck at 1362 feet, the height of one of the Twin Towers.

The spire antennae rises to 1,776 feet, matching the year America began. Some observers said the design reminded them of the Empire State Building and Childs said his idea was to design a Downtown tower that connects visually to the two most prominent in Midtown — the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings.

There will be 69 floors of offices with 2.6 million square feet of space. The highest office floor will be 1,120 feet off the ground. Previously the building cost estimates were $1.5 billion. Larry Silverstein, the building’s developer, did not say how much the new design would cost. He said construction will begin early next year with steel rising from the ground sometime in 2007. He said the building will not open until 2010 and he has not begun to look for tenants yet. Silverstein said there has been a lot of interest in renting out 7 W.T.C. since Friday, when Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver’s Lower Manhattan incentive package passed with the backing of Pataki, State Sen. Majority Leader Joe Bruno and Mayor Mike Bloomberg.

“The phones haven’t stopped ringing since that package was passed,” Silverstein said.

The plan includes discounted rents of $3.80 per square foot for the first 750,000 square feet of space at 7 W.T.C., across the street from the Freedom Tower, and $5 per square foot for the first 750,000 at the Freedom Tower or other proposed offices at ground zero.

At least for now, the incentives would not be enough to convince some employees to go along if their bosses decided to move into the Freedom Tower.

“No, I wouldn’t feel comfortable working there,” said Lucinda Lieberman, 47, who works across from the W.T.C. site as an assistant account supervisor for a reinsurance firm. “They had more than one attack on the World Trade Center…There’s such a thing as three strikes and your out.”

“I don’t think I’d like to go to the top of one of those buildings,” said Kathleen Moore, who lives across the street and put her age at “well over 50.”

“After 9/11 I don’t like heights,” she added. “They’re planning a restaurant on top — I’ll never go there.”

The feeling was not unanimous though. “We can’t let terrorism stop us,” said Yvette Barreto, 42, a technical assistant who works at One Liberty Plaza. “Yes, I would feel comfortable [working there]. There are people risking their lives working in tall buildings all over New York.”

[email protected]
Old July 4th, 2005, 02:26 AM   #65
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

I say we be patient with the idea of a second tower. Nothing else is going to be built before FT. As FT nears completion, everyone should start calling/demanding/picketing for a twin, especially all the New Yorkers.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #66
Taufiq

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
the nearly completed 7 World Trade Center which does not have a tenant yet.
wow I had no idea that the paranoia level was this high, it's understandable I guess.. and it also kind of explains why there isn't so much emphasis on the structures being taller or twin.
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 02:43 AM   #67
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq
wow I had no idea that the paranoia level was this high, it's understandable I guess.. and it also kind of explains why there isn't so much emphasis on the structures being taller or twin.
People are usually a bit reluctant to work at a site of mass murder.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 02:50 AM   #68
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq
No one is renting in 7WTC because the owner is asking for way too much money.
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #69
Zopwx2

I guess I can live with this building, but they need to work on the spire a little more......
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #70
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Once things start getting built and the memorial goes up, the paranoia lvl should go down hopefully.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #71
eon
2,000+

I'm calling it "One World Trade Center".
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #72
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon
I'm calling it "One World Trade Center".
Sounds good to me!
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #73
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocStar
Don't troll in this thread with your own WTC site designs, that stuff belongs in Citytalk. This is about the one tower that's being built, not everyone's hope for a twin.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #74
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Lets have a Vote, I'd love the Twin of these for sure.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #75
thunderbunny

Likes (Received):

Yes, build 2 Freedom towers!!!
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #76
azzurri.chris

Likes (Received): 3

I want the twins back!!!
azzurri.chris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #77
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

cheese do you ever post without using the word troll???

personally i like his render, of course it aint getting built but it aint trolling.... trolls live in caves and are quite reclusive, their skills with photoshop are not generally as good as an average human.
nezzybaby está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #78
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

Looks sooo much better than the original height-faking tower by A LOT. Now I will like this tower.
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #79
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3719

In some way it is nice to see a simple design without a patriotic crown or an almost invisible top that looks like they are afraid to build the last 100m on the top.
May be it doesn't look so special designwise, but the old WTC looked even more simple.

I think that the architect decided to just make a simple skyscraper, to avoid building a supertall skycraper memorial.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #80
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

It would look alot better without the spire IMHO which awhile it fitted the original design(even if I didnt think much of the design as a whole) juts looks tacked on here to me espeically with the slightly tilted roof.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote