daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Hmmm?
10 68 19.10%
9.5 27 7.58%
9 24 6.74%
8.5 16 4.49%
8 41 11.52%
7.5 12 3.37%
7 28 7.87%
6.5 13 3.65%
6 22 6.18%
5.5 6 1.69%
5 16 4.49%
4.5 6 1.69%
4 9 2.53%
3.5 20 5.62%
3 or less? 48 13.48%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 8th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #161
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

6/10
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #162
raggedy13

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber73 View Post
I'm not really into this whole rating deal... I must ask - what's with all these high numbers. I see at least a half-dozen randomly placed stubbies. Not really pretty ones I might add (No offence to Yellowknife). Might as well remove those buildings. The skyline would improve, yes? Maybe I could hammer together a tool shed and take a photo as the sun sets. I could put it up against the likes of Hong Kong and New York. Probably get a similar rating.
Well the rating system is a bit flawed for sure as it's rather subjective. Some people will inevitably not take context into account when considering a skyline and therefore compare cities of 20k to cities of 10 million (and vote accordingly) while others take the more realistic approach and factor in the size of the city relative to the size of the skyline (afterall, not every city can be 10 mil). That is why Yellowknife has a number of higher votes. Those who take more into account than what is just put in front of their face tend to give higher votes because they realize that this is a remote town on the edge of the earth and yet for 20k people they've managed to put up a skyline that could put cities 10 times their size down south to shame.
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #163
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

it really isn't that great...tops, a 7 even for it's size. do all the rich people live in those shacks?
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #164
PinballWizard

Likes (Received): 0

My city is the same(ish) size and its tallest is 14 stories short of Yellowknifes!?!?

Makes me angry and confused lol
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #165
italki
BANNED

This is Yellowknife in winter

[IMG]http://i12.************/660zmmd.jpg[/IMG]

i want to live there. I love cold weather and the snow

[IMG]http://i19.************/4zn8psn.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/62zc3eg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i19.************/6heiyw7.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by italki; July 17th, 2007 at 12:40 PM.
italki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #166
italki
BANNED

oh and i forgot to say i gave 10/10
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #167
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

believe it or not. I actually have this inner feeling to move there.

to see if there's anything that I can do.

anyways.. 10
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #168
italki
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
believe it or not. I actually have this inner feeling to move there.

to see if there's anything that I can do.

anyways.. 10
i d love to move there too... if only i had canadian residence
Old July 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #169
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

damn.............for a city of that size 9/10
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #170
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 986

5/10
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM   #171
NickABQ

Likes (Received): 89

Yellowknife is cool ass!! For its size it gets a 9.....but even standing alone it does better than some cities....so it gets a 6 from me.
NickABQ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #172
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1377

Nice place, I so like the northern towns like this one 7/10
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #173
Kailyas

Likes (Received): 7

6.5/10
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #174
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10801

Interesting place and one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. The Northwest Territory, of which Yellowknife is the capital, posted per capita income in 2006 of $97,923 Canadian or $99,881 in US dollars. Astounding! I believe it has the highest income levels of any jurisdiction in the Americas.

The diamond industry has boosted income levels from already lofty levels.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #175
girlicious_likeme
Some Random User

Likes (Received): 124

What's up, my hometown!!! lollll!

We are the centre of all activities in Northern Canada, we have the busiest airport in northern Canada. Our buildings are starting to age so that's why the city is planning to maintain them, but we're prepared for the future because climate change might make us a boomtown.

I enjoy living here anyway! I like ice fogs and auroras, and summer temperatures BTW reaches beyond 30c. Our winter temperatures are usually around -42c to -51c. Despte those temperatures, it is good to live here because we might have a potential to become the hub of the north somtime in the future.

Last edited by girlicious_likeme; June 14th, 2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: i live here.
girlicious_likeme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #176
isaidso
the new republic

You're seeing a part of the world few of us will ever be so blessed to experience. The North fascinates me, and has the same mythical pull as the West does.
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #177
girlicious_likeme
Some Random User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You're seeing a part of the world few of us will ever be so blessed to experience. The North fascinates me, and has the same mythical pull as the West does.

Thank you. And we are in the Northwest Territories. so it means that we are the combination of north and west, which is true because of the energy sector in our territory, and large-scale proposals in our territory.

Massive projects throughout the territory:
1. Deh Cho Bridge - This will LINK Yellowknife and the mines to Southern Canada. This will slash out ferry crossings, which is environmentally dangerous (spill of goods in the Mackenzie river).
2. Mackenzie Valley Pipeline - This will pick natural gas from the Mackenzie Delta, and from the Sverdrup Basin in Nunavut by 2030. The largest facility will be in Inuvik, the largest Canadian community north of the Arctic circle.
3. Mines (Diamonds, Gold, Uranium, etc.)- this is a thing of the past, and still going on.
4. Mackenzie Valley Highway - plans are going on for an EXTENSION of the highway north of Wrigley, which is the current terminus of the highway.
5. Hydropower in Mackenzie River - this will use RUN-OF-RIVER technology and it can produce much energy as James Bay and Churchill Falls (capacity of 12,000 MW). They will be built in various parts of the river.
6. Geothermal Power in Yellowknife- The abandoned Con Mine is under Phase 2 of feasibility study for Canada's first LARGE-SCALE geothermal power plant (it depends if BC finishes first). It will provide heating in the city of Yellowknife. It will also provide water heating, snow melting, soil worming, and GREENHOUSE HEATING.
7. Devolution - the NWT is planning to be the first "HAVE" territory. Devolution in Yukon is done, in NWT, it's almost complete, in Nunavut, it's starting.
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #178
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

7/10
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM   #179
isaidso
the new republic

girlicious:

Deh Cho Bridge? What body of water would it cross. Surely not the Great Slave Lake. I'd love to find out more. I'd also like to know how much further north the Mackenzie Valley Highway might go.

Canada has ignored the northern two-thirds of the nation for far too long. The south and the north need to be better integrated. It's fantastic that these projects are in the works. The new Pacific port in northern BC and a proposal to link Canada to Russia over the pole with a new shipping lane could radically change the way we view our nation. With the north rapidly warming, there is great optimism that NWT, Nunavut, and Yukon will continue to prosper and develop. It's an exciting time for your region and for Canada.
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM   #180
girlicious_likeme
Some Random User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
girlicious:

Deh Cho Bridge? What body of water would it cross. Surely not the Great Slave Lake. I'd love to find out more. I'd also like to know how much further north the Mackenzie Valley Highway might go.

Canada has ignored the northern two-thirds of the nation for far too long. The south and the north need to be better integrated. It's fantastic that these projects are in the works. The new Pacific port in northern BC and a proposal to link Canada to Russia over the pole with a new shipping lane could radically change the way we view our nation. With the north rapidly warming, there is great optimism that NWT, Nunavut, and Yukon will continue to prosper and develop. It's an exciting time for your region and for Canada.
The Deh Cho Bridge will cross the Mackenzie River, near the Great Slave Lake (near the split between Highway 1 [Mackenzie Highway] and Highway 3 [Yellowknife Highway]).

For the Mackeznie Highway, it will go northwards from Wrigley to the Dempster Highway, with a side road to Deline (near Great Bear Lake). When the extension is completed, all communities in the NWT will be connected except for Lutselk'e (eastern part of Great Slave Lake and near to the future national park in 2012), Paulatuk (being at the extreme northeast of the territory), Sachs Harbour (located at Banks Island), and Ulukhaktok (located at Victoria Island).