daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #1
rark
rocks

Likes (Received): 0

National Gallery Singapore (former Supreme Court & City Hall)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mith252; April 2nd, 2014 at 11:45 PM.
rark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 6th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #2
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 67

whats all that black stuff on top? never seen it there before.

Some more pics:

and here are some night pics by babystan03

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #3
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 3

getting ready for National Day at Padang!
hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #4
RafflesCity
By Spirit

oh..I thought that too but wasnt sure

a pic found posted earlier (found from the web)
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #5
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

I hope I can get the tickets. Want to go this year!
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #6
rark
rocks

dome of the supreme court

hmm and i just read that the "stone slabs" are not actually stone but are gypsum type of plaster, didnt know it till today

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 6th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #7
shao_ye

Likes (Received): 1

national stadium will be undergoing reconstruction rite? does tt means national day celebrations will be held here for at least 2 years in a row?
shao_ye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #8
rark
rocks

i guess so...

Old June 15th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #9
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

hee....the city hall is gearing up for the preparation of National Day hee.

As you know that by 2006/2007, City Hall and Supreme Court will be taken over by MICA as they are earmarked for the museum attraction purpose. Imagine like a British Museum in London or Lourve Museum in Paris where thousands of travellers would throng to awe at the beauty of sculptures, paintings and other forms of arts. Wonder whether these 2 buildings can match up to those formiddable buildings that are always on the must-see spot of the tourist maps. Actually these buildings (City Hall and Supreme Court) have some advantages since they are so prominent to the tourists when they come to the city.

Singapore govt has to think of the ways to leverage on this strategic position to attract tourists non-stop like Madame Trussade Museum. I remembered that when I went there, thousands of tourists snaked all the way from the entrance to the Baker Street Tube station which is about 6 minutes' walk away. Oh my god ! Too bad, Singapore has a short history and has nothing much interesting artefacts to show off unless, British and Lourve Museum are WILLING TO DONOR ALL THESE PAINTINGS, WORKS, SCULPTURES to this MUSEUM. VIOLA....SINGAPORE becomes a WORLD-CLASS MUSEUM ATTRACTION heee. !!!

I remember my friend who visited famous Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and she said that after you finished viewing inside, you will feel very sad and melodramatic. It is said that Shin-ichi's tricycle, sitting in a glass case, burnt and rusted. Shin-ichi was 3 years old and he was playing outside with his tricycle. Then the bomb was dropped in Hiroshima, killing his sister and brother instantly. Shin-ichi almost escaped but could not survive till that night. So, the parents did not want to consign him to the lonely graveyard but to bury him with his tricycle in their own backyard. 40 years later, his father dug it up and gave it to the museum....

ZXAVIER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #10
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

the last part sounds melancholy...

Yup. A 40-year-old city. What artifacts can it show? We'll start from scratch and accumulate
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #11
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Despite a short history, Singapore lies in a fascinating region and has some unique historical milestones taking place at City Hall itself..it should also aim to cater for the local 'tourists'..creating an attraction using such majestic buildings so prominently sited couldnt be better..also they should have these buildings lighted up every night.

speaking of Madam Tussaud, I think there are 2 Singaporean waxwork figures there: Lee Kuan Yew and the SIA girl
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #12
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

You are right, speaking my point. It is so prominently located right at the hear of the City Hall and the govt should think of way to spruce up the eye-catching attraction with different and creative ways. Like in Paris, every night, Eiffel Tower will be lighted up with different ways. At one night, you can see glittering light of this Tower. The other day, you can see the kaleidoscopic lights shining on these buildings or in a better way to reserve these kaleidoscopic lights for Singapore Flyer if confirmed to be completed by 2007. Or to put a big neon light "SINGAPORE I LOVE YOU 2006" Or to put the a bigger and eye-catching Singapore Flag unlike old and small flag flapping weakily on top of the City Hall building presently. Or to keep it just simple enough, every night, think of the way to use energy-saving glowing light to add greater majestic glow to these colonial buildings.

And when you enter these buildings, it has to evoke interesting idea of these colonial buildings..rather than putting artefacts on display. It has to do with interesting projections about Singapore's short history in a very creative way.

Or to keep changing the artefacts or to borrow artefacts from other museums like the way HK has been "borrowing" Madam Trussade wax figures up to end of Sept (if I got my information correct). Or to exhibit Cheng Ho's adventure odyssey..just like in Paris where my friends told me that the management in Lourve Museum keep on changing the artefacts in different places or to borrow other artefacts from other countries within stipulated period of time. Same thing goes for British Museum which borrows a full collection of samurai to spark off interest in Japanese samurai after the recent appearance of English movie "Samurai" starring Tom Cruise. That can be done that way like SAM hosting Botula (pardon my wrong spelling), Taiwanese stone sculptures. But it has to go for a bigger and provocative design that people woul want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
Despite a short history, Singapore lies in a fascinating region and has some unique historical milestones taking place at City Hall itself..it should also aim to cater for the local 'tourists'..creating an attraction using such majestic buildings so prominently sited couldnt be better..also they should have these buildings lighted up every night.

speaking of Madam Tussaud, I think there are 2 Singaporean waxwork figures there: Lee Kuan Yew and the SIA girl
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:04 AM   #13
heirloom

Quote:
Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and she said that after you finished viewing inside, you will feel very sad and melodramatic. It is said that Shin-ichi's tricycle, sitting in a glass case, burnt and rusted.
aiyar their stuff makes them look like the worst victims. so unfair to everyone.

Quote:
Yup. A 40-year-old city. What artifacts can it show? We'll start from scratch and accumulate
maybe URA gallery could move here. we could also suck up to our scandinavian free trade partners by having a permanent and revolving scandinavian design exhibit ::

Quote:
Or to put a big neon light "SINGAPORE I LOVE YOU 2006" Or to put the a bigger and eye-catching Singapore Flag unlike old and small flag flapping weakily on top of the City Hall building presently.
uhm a bit too patriotic for my liking. i prefer city hall+supreme court's current lighting, perhaps just spruce it up a little and turn it on every night. esplanade's white dots are also very beautiful.

Quote:
Botula (pardon my wrong spelling), Taiwanese stone sculptures.
its botero and ju ming
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:06 AM   #14
heirloom

plus i think once the supreme court and city hall have been converted into museums any singapore flags should be removed.
Old June 21st, 2005, 07:11 AM   #15
RafflesCity
By Spirit

what I think could do is on National Day or certain occasions they use laser lights to colour the building, much like what they did for the Arts House or Buckingham Palace during the Queen's birthday in 2002
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM   #16
ZXAVIER
ZXAVIER

hmm...still think it is good to put in the flag just like the white house in washington dc...to imbibe sense of patriotism in singaporean as there is so lacking of sense of belonging among singaporean.

just my 2 cent's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
plus i think once the supreme court and city hall have been converted into museums any singapore flags should be removed.
Old June 21st, 2005, 11:18 AM   #17
heirloom

but once they become art museums they are no longer buildings that directly deal with singapore's affairs. well i dont know how to say it but i guess you know what i mean. like you dont see the singapore flag on the singapore art museum, the singapore history museum, the arts house, the esplanade theatres, and victoria concert hall / theatre.

i think singaporeans are already too patriotic or at least too full of themselves. need to travel less to less developed neighbouring countries, but to rapidly advancing ones or already advanced ones.
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #18
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 33

The buildings are so plain as compared to other cities' City Halls and Courts....

redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM   #19
rark
rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
The buildings are so plain as compared to other cities' City Halls and Courts....
germany's reichstag
omg omg omg

Old June 28th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #20
heirloom

when they were built, singapore was kind of an outpost mired in poverty right? not unreasonable for the buildings to be far less magnificent than the ones in europe... but buildings today should really be better than they are. not more magnificent perhaps, but with better attention to detail.