daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Heritage Buildings

Old November 8th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 289

The Asian Civilisations Museum

Created this thread since there is no thread yet regarding this museum. Anyway, here is some news regarding the ACM.

Quote:
ACM set to get bigger, better with extension plan
Posted: 08 November 2012 1324 hrs

SINGAPORE: The Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) is set to get bigger and better with a S$5.5-million extension plan.

A new wing will be added to ACM's current building at Empress Place.

The museum's extension plan comes after it received a S$5-million donation from Hong Leong Foundation.

S$500,000 of the donation will be used to acquire artefacts related to Fujian culture.

The Fujian culture is especially meaningful to Mr Kwek Leng Beng, the governor of Hong Leong Foundation, as his father, Kwek Ho Png, founder of Hong Leong Group, was born in Fujian.

Construction for the new wing is expected to be completed in 2015.

ACM director Alan Chong said the new wing is a respectable, yet clearly different, addition to an important heritage structure.

The new galleries will take advantage of natural light and provide a different experience for the visitor.

He added that more of the museum's collection can be revealed in an innovative and hopefully thought-provoking way.

Mr Kwek said by working with the Asian Civilisations Museum, it hopes to be able to inform and educate future generations about the roots of Singapore's forefathers.

Dr Chong said:"We are very keen to show how China relates to the rest of the world, through trade, through immigration, through exchange. This is really what we are trying to work on. Fujian especially, was the homeland of so many immigrants to Southeast Asia, not just to Singapore but also in countries which are now Malaysia and Indonesia."

According to Dr Chong, the extension will not follow the colonial architectural style of the existing building.

Acting Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong broke ground for the new wing on Thursday, together with the museum's staff and patrons.

The new wing be a modern structure of glass and titanium.

Facing the Victoria Theatre, the three-storey structure will look like a solid box floating between two existing museum wings.

"The Asian Civilisations Museum is a wonderful old building and we shouldn't try to create something that would be an imitation of nineteenth-century history," said Dr Chong.

"The preservation monuments board also instructed us that they prefer to have something that was new, rather than something that imitated the old and I thought one of the best ways of preserving the old facade was to construct something that was quite light, it has got a lot of glass, daylight so that you can always see the old building behind the new. It floats in front of the original building and that was our intention."

ACM, which first began operations at Armenian Street in 2005, is dedicated to exploring the rich artistic heritage of Asia, especially in Singapore's ancestral cultures.

- CNA/ck/xq
source:CNA

Btw, if you can't see the images I posted, I have deleted them.

Last edited by Mith252; November 8th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 8th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Mith252

For more info regarding the exhibitions there, vist the website in the link below.

asian civilisations museum

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Mith252

Some images of the museum.

http://www.acm.org.sg/img/themuseum/themuseum1.jpg

http://www.streetdirectory.com/stock...ions_museum_i/

http://www.singapore-vacation-attrac...front-view.jpg

http://www.etour-singapore.com/image...ion-museum.jpg

Location of the museum.

http://www.acm.org.sg/img/visitus/acmmap.jpg

Old November 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Mith252

Same news reported in TODAY.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...79104471_n.jpg

source: TODAY

Old November 9th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #5
Mith252

Same news as above from mypaper.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...25118197_n.jpg

source: mypaper

Old September 6th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #6
Mith252

News from CNA.

Quote:
Asian Civilisations Museum offers guided tours in Malay this weekend
POSTED: 06 Sep 2013 9:47 PM

Volunteers will be offering guided tours at the Asian Civilisations Museum this weekend, a first of its kind collaboration between the museum, Madrasah Aljunied and the National Institute of Education.

SINGAPORE: Volunteers will be offering guided tours at the Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) this weekend.

It is the first of its kind collaboration between ACM, Madrasah Aljunied and the National Institute of Education (NIE).

The group comprises 16 Malay teachers in training at NIE and seven students from the madrasah.

Supported by the Malay Language Council, these tours will take place on September 7 and 8 to mark the launch of Malay Language month, which will be held at the museum.

The museum says the tour trail has been specially designed by the museum and will showcase objects that highlight the fascinating links between the Malay language and culture with the wider Asian region.

Conducted in the Malay language, these tours aim to bring out the essence of the stories behind the chosen objects.

- CNA/fa
source: CNA

Old March 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #7
Mith252

News from CNA.

Quote:
National Museum, Asian Civilisations Museum to undergo revamp
POSTED: 11 Mar 2014 21:17

Both the National Museum and Asian Civilisations Museum are set to undergo a revamp -- these are part of efforts by the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth leading up to celebrations for Singapore's 50th anniversary.

SINGAPORE: Visitors to the National Museum will soon be greeted with a new experience -- these are part of efforts by the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth, leading up to celebrations for Singapore's 50th anniversary.

The lives of everyday Singaporeans and objects from the daily lives of Singaporeans will be featured for a more personal history of the nation. The museum will also provide more glimpses into the post-independence era, when citizens were still finding their feet.

Children and families will have their own dedicated space at the National Museum, the Play@NMS. The new wing will be opening in May.

The Asian Civilisations Museum will also undergo a transformation -- some changes include a new design for its lobby, new shops and expanded permanent galleries.

Acting Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong said: "We are also exploring a new entrance for the museum that opens onto the Singapore River. We may combine this with a new gallery space that will breathe more light into the museum.

"This needs a bit more study but it's a potential game-changer for the museum. It would open the museum to many more visitors and convert it into a vibrant offering along the waterfront. Not to mention, this would connect the museum to the historic heart of Singapore."

These measures come on the back of record visitorship, with more than three million visitors to museums last year. From June to December 2013, after free museum entry was introduced, visitorship surged by more than 25 per cent.

- CNA/ac

Old March 11th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Mith252

News from TODAY.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...21564517_n.jpg

source: TODAY

Old April 18th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Mith252

News from CNA.

Quote:
Asian Civilisations Museum to undergo extensive renovations
By Yvonne Chan
POSTED: 18 Apr 2014 16:43

The Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) will undergo extensive renovations, transforming it into a new exhibition space for important artefacts. This will be unveiled in phases beginning the third quarter of next year.

SINGAPORE: The Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) will undergo extensive renovations, transforming it into a new exhibition space for important artefacts.

This will be unveiled in phases beginning the third quarter of next year.

Situated by the Singapore River, the Asian Civilisations Museum is getting a makeover.

Parts of the museum are already closed to the public for upgrading works, and its classical frontage will soon get a facelift, along with additional gallery space.

Mr Lawrence Wong, Acting Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, said: "One of the expanded spaces is the China Gallery, which should be completed next year. I'm glad that the private sector has stepped forward to help fund this. The building will inject a fresh and modern element into the otherwise classical architecture of the museum."

The National Heritage Board told Channel NewsAsia that the gallery's expansion will yield more space to allow for a particular focus on ACM's Fujian collections.

The project is supported by donations from the Hong Leong Foundation.

The main lobby will also undergo an overhaul with new retail spaces integrated with the galleries to increase accessibility to the museum.

It will also improve the visitor experience by providing popular, relevant and affordable shopping and dining choices.

As part of its revamp, the National Heritage Board is exploring the conversion of the museum's waterfront area into a new entrance, which will house the lobby and gallery space, opening onto the Singapore River.

The National Heritage Board said it is currently working with the Urban Redevelopment Authority on the construction and design.

Mr Alan Chong, director of Asian Civilisations Museum, said: "Our idea right now is, the area should be open and distinguishable from the historic architecture, so it will be open, light-filled and you can always see that it's an addition to the old building, which is one of the great historic structures of Singapore.

"In that sense, it should be modern and feel different. At the same time, we also want people to have a way in... they enjoy some shopping some beverages, some entertainment, they will also be engaged with the museum and see what's on offer."

The extensive renovations also mean the end of the lease for long-time F&B tenant Indochine, which opened in 2003.

Mr Michael Ma, CEO and founder of Indochine, said: "There's no venue such as this, as I call it Indochine Waterfront, right on the waterfront. Indochine is all about the colonial time of the French, Indo-Chinese food, the culture that came to Singapore and ACM was so well-matched and that's what attracted us to come to ACM in the first place."

The National Heritage Board said Indochine and interested F&B operators can bid for the new restaurant and other retail spaces once plans are firmed up.

- CNA/de

Old June 29th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #10
Mith252

Some pictures I took of the development on Saturday.

https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/...61320944_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...00942344_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/...04408598_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...47549696_n.jpg

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Mith252

News from CNA.

Quote:
IndoChine Waterfront now only serves memories
By Gena Ng
POSTED: 30 Jun 2014 22:00
UPDATED: 30 Jun 2014 22:09

After more than 13 years, IndoChine serves its last plate at its Waterfront restaurant.

SINGAPORE: As the sun sets over the Singapore River, the financial buzz gives way to a quiet hum as the waterfront area comes to life with diners.

As iconic as the Asian Civilisations Museum (ACM) that stands majestic over the river, was the IndoChine Waterfront restaurant.

But after more than 13 years of serving everyone from local diners to tourists, and even the world's who's who, the restaurant served its last plate on June 29 to make way for a new entrance to the ACM as part of the museum's makeover plans.

This, despite a last-ditch effort to save the restaurant through an online petition set up by IndoChine, that drew many of the restaurant’s patrons who voiced support on the “Save IndoChine Waterfront, ACM” Facebook page.

Voted as one of Tatler's Best Restaurants in Singapore in 2011 and 2012, the restaurant -- one of the first in the chain started by Michael Ma -- has a colourful history, playing host to bona fide royalty such as Prince Albert ll of Monaco and royal glitterati from David and Victoria Beckham, to Beyonce and Mariah Carey.

“Mariah Carey - she wanted to put tomato sauce in everything ... She’s a very nice person, but why would you put tomato sauce in everything you eat?” recalled Mr Ma.

As for svelte Chinese actress Gong Li, she loves the restaurant’s Vietnamese beef pho and would polish off two bowls of the soupy dish during each visit.

Needless to say, the restaurant’s food is one of its greatest boons, and despite an extensive menu there are some who will pout at the table.

“We have a lot of customers that get upset. They come here once a week and [if] their favourite dish is not there, they… get annoyed,” Mr Ma confessed with a laugh.

The menu was created with an Asian focus to fit the theme of the ACM. But Mr Ma did not stop there.

He researched and picked out every piece of furniture that he thought would go with the museum’s architecture, from the Sukothai Bhuddha statues right down to the Ming Dynasty chairs, which were custom-made.

“You want [an] old venue to remain old ... the nostalgia of IndoChine in the 1920s and 1910s,” said Mr Ma. “This is the old immigration centre, and this is the furniture that suits it. We completed the design to fit this building.”

But for its founder, the IndoChine Waterfront is more than just a restaurant that offers good food and ambience.

“I had a lot of good parties here,” reminisced Mr Ma. “I come here nearly every day, you know, for the last 13 years. It’s a long time.”

The restaurant also holds a tender spot in the heart of some of its regulars, like Bernd Stepke, who moved to Singapore 11 years ago from Germany.

“To me, [IndoChine Waterfront] is a very special place,” said Mr Stepke. “It was the first place where we had a very nice dinner… So it’s a place where I always like to come back to.”

Although IndoChine will be able to bid for new retail space once plans for the Asian Civilisations Museum’s revamp have finalised, Mr Ma said he is looking for a new venue.

While some patrons welcome the thought of a new view, others like Mr Stepke, cannot imagine the restaurant being anywhere else other than the waterfront area.

“This is a unique location, with a view to the river, with a view of the Singapore skyline... I cannot imagine where we can reinvent this place somewhere else.”

- CNA/gn