daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 4th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Taufiq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto/Abu Dhabi
Posts: 405
Likes (Received): 1

6 Star Hotels

How many of them are there in the world?

So far I have:

Le Saint Geran in Mauritius, South Africa

Pellazo Versace in Sydney, Australia

I am also not sure if *technically* these are 6 star hotels all these ratings seem to be self awarded..
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #2
ncik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 254
Likes (Received): 1

Pellazo Versace is not in Sydney, NSW. It's in Gold Coast, QLD.
ncik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #3
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,507
Likes (Received): 353

Until one of the rating services state that they use more than 5 stars, then it is all self-awarded.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #4
Medo
Moderator
 
Medo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
Posts: 18,435
Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
Until one of the rating services state that they use more than 5 stars, then it is all self-awarded.
I agree, 6 star hotels mean nothing to me
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #5
Nate
У Борщині
 
Nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ріджайна
Posts: 1,204
Likes (Received): 2

There is also a hotel that claims to be the only 7 star hotel in the world... The Burj Al Arab in Dubai.

But I agree with everyone else in this thread. 6 and 7 star ratings mean nothing to me...
Nate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #6
Bu_Bastak
King of Kings
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dubai
Posts: 70
Likes (Received): 0

Burj al arab is a 7 star hotel but.. there is 1 thing i cant figure... when i was in south africa a couple years ago, a hotel names palace hotel in sun city was a 7 star hotel.. or so it said to be? any1 know if this is true at all?

sry to be postin bout 7 stars and not 6
Bu_Bastak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:41 AM   #7
luv2bebrown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Unknown
Posts: 1,882
Likes (Received): 109

burj al arab uses the 7 star rating to differentiate itself from other hotels.

hotels are star rated not on quality, but on services and amenities offered.
a hotel could have all the amenities required to be considered a 5 star hotel, but if all those things suck and the hotel sucks, it is still considered to be a 5 star hotel.

in my experience, the 5 star hotels in the East (Asia and M. East) completely blow away most of the 5 star hotels in say... America. so i think the current star rating is archaic and therefore fully agree with hotels which claim to be 6* or 7*

self-proclaimed 6* and 7* hotels are simply in another league than regular 5* hotels.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #8
Baianóide
BAHIA
 
Baianóide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Salvador - Bahia - Latin America
Posts: 7,228
Likes (Received): 38

Toca do Marlin, in Bahia, Brasil. First 6* in Latin America.

www.tocadomarlin.com.br
__________________
BAHIA

O Brasil não é uma nação, são várias nações. Autonomia é o caminho. FEDERALISMO DE VERDADE JÁ!
Baianóide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:38 AM   #9
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown

in my experience, the 5 star hotels in the East (Asia and M. East) completely blow away most of the 5 star hotels in say... America. so i think the current star rating is archaic and therefore fully agree with hotels which claim to be 6* or 7*

self-proclaimed 6* and 7* hotels are simply in another league than regular 5* hotels.
It's actually reversed. A 4 or 5 star restaurant or hotel in Asia is more like a 2-3 star in America. There are thousands of hotels in Asia/ME and you can't judge them all solely on a few good ones like Burj or Mandarin Oriental in HK. The rest are typically crap that most Americans would be appalled to stay in.

The same applies when comparing European and American hotels (usually that's because of room and bed size though).
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #10
Shado
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 348
Likes (Received): 0

Star ratings are really just an indication of the features a hotel has, not the quality. And 6-7 star hotels are self awarded. They may have things that 5 star hotels do not, but there is no rating that says '6 star hotels must have xyz feature' etc.

I've stayed in 5 star hotels with horrible beds, airconditioning that doesn't work etc. While I've stayed in 3 star hotels with comfortable beds, working airconditioning, that might as well be 5 star, but they lack one small feature, like a hair dryer or some such, that prevents them from gaining the rating.

Quote:
Pellazo Versace in Sydney, Australia
:o It's around 700km from Sydney. The Gold Coast is Australia's sixth largest city, just a short distance from Brisbane, Australia's third largest city.
Shado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #11
Stamford Island
You & I were meant to fly
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Singapore
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 0

6-star does exist, doesn't it? But I'm quite certain 7-star was made up by Burj Al Arab. Ritz-Carlton Millenia in Singapore is 6-star.
Stamford Island no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:56 AM   #12
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
It's actually reversed. A 4 or 5 star restaurant or hotel in Asia is more like a 2-3 star in America. There are thousands of hotels in Asia/ME and you can't judge them all solely on a few good ones like Burj or Mandarin Oriental in HK. The rest are typically crap that most Americans would be appalled to stay in.

The same applies when comparing European and American hotels (usually that's because of room and bed size though).
Actually North America and Europe/Asia have different rating.

Is like for a North American driving 60 is fast while for elswhere in the world 60 is no way a fast speed.

Why? Simply becouse the North American "60" is rated in MPH, while the other's "60" is in KPH. 60 MPH = 100 KPH.

From my experience the Luxury Hotels in Asia & Middle East are far more luxurious than their European or North American counterparts.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:48 PM   #13
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,384
Likes (Received): 2570

The Island ShangriLa in HK is considered a 6 star hotel
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 03:21 AM   #14
sk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Λευκωσια,Linköping
Posts: 1,659
Likes (Received): 3

anassa hotel in pafos ,cyprus is considered to be a 6 star hotel (officially rated as 5 stars of course since the hotel rating in cyprus is between 1-5 stars)
sk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #15
909
-
 
909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,417

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
Actually North America and Europe/Asia have different rating.

(...)

From my experience the Luxury Hotels in Asia & Middle East are far more luxurious than their European or North American counterparts.
Just a question: what do you mean by far more luxerious?
__________________
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player. That struts and frets his hour upon the stage. And then is heard no more: it is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #16
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

For sure Asia's hotel is WAY better that here, I just got back from Hong Kong stayed at The Harbour Plaza in Hung Hom, I will say the location, service and amenitie just out of this world for a four stars hotel - the harbour view, rooftop pool, whirlpool, workout room with sauna and spa, guest only garden and lot of good places to eat. And overall it really depand on how much they willing to help you and make you feel you're the VIP, when I ask for an American brand face cleaner, here in the US they may just tell you where to go get it, the people at The Harbour Plaza go get it for me and I know it is not a commom brand in HK. btw. I only stay in one of the normal room, not the high end suite, it feel better that the Hyatt in SFO, or the InterCon. in NYC, just the service kick US hotel's butt.
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #17
LEP
Lake Garda
 
LEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 70
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexas
For sure Asia's hotel is WAY better that here, I just got back from Hong Kong stayed at The Harbour Plaza in Hung Hom, I will say the location, service and amenitie just out of this world for a four stars hotel - the harbour view, rooftop pool, whirlpool, workout room with sauna and spa, guest only garden and lot of good places to eat. And overall it really depand on how much they willing to help you and make you feel you're the VIP, when I ask for an American brand face cleaner, here in the US they may just tell you where to go get it, the people at The Harbour Plaza go get it for me and I know it is not a commom brand in HK. btw. I only stay in one of the normal room, not the high end suite, it feel better that the Hyatt in SFO, or the InterCon. in NYC, just the service kick US hotel's butt.
I thought the hotels in the US were fantastic. Imo better than Europe's and Asia's. Btw are you biased because your not American?
LEP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #18
Sexas
Whole Other Country
 
Sexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 735
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEP
I thought the hotels in the US were fantastic. Imo better than Europe's and Asia's. Btw are you biased because your not American?
Try travel around, narrow view don't bring you anywhere.
__________________
Communication is Inevitable, Irreversible & Unrepeatable. Be Warn!
Sexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #19
Chris121091
Category 10
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: @[email protected]@
Posts: 329
Likes (Received): 0

Any hotel can claim to be 100 stars if they wanted to, but it all depends on AAA (triple A) and Mobile to rate these hotels.
Chris121091 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM   #20
isaidso
the new republic
 
isaidso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The United Provinces of America
Posts: 29,623
Likes (Received): 10781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu_Bastak View Post
Burj al arab is a 7 star hotel but.. there is 1 thing i cant figure... when i was in south africa a couple years ago, a hotel names palace hotel in sun city was a 7 star hotel.. or so it said to be? any1 know if this is true at all?

sry to be postin bout 7 stars and not 6
Alot of people in Dubai must be beyond insecure. First a testosterone fuelled race to build the tallest building. Now 7 star hotels! People who are attention starved develop edifice complexes or buy expensive designer brands to feel more important. It's a classic knee-jerk reaction of individuals who don't feel they measure up. Ambition is commendable, but what is happening in Dubai is actually vulgar and crass.

Inventing the classification of 7-star hotel smacks of insecure people who need to elevate themselves to feel worthwhile. Psychiatrists must be experiencing a bonanza in Dubai.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu