daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #41
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
true
true
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #42
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I have never even heard of a 6 star hotel, just up to five.
Old May 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #43
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

Say you have the very best hotel in the world offering everything in luxury and style and say you are 6..7 stars...whatever, and someone comes along and spend twice as much and adds more ...how many stars can you go???? I refuse to say in less than 8 myself.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #44
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Alot of people in Dubai must be beyond insecure. First a testosterone fuelled race to build the tallest building. Now 7 star hotels! People who are attention starved develop edifice complexes or buy expensive designer brands to feel more important. It's a classic knee-jerk reaction of individuals who don't feel they measure up. Ambition is commendable, but what is happening in Dubai is actually vulgar and crass.

Inventing the classification of 7-star hotel smacks of insecure people who need to elevate themselves to feel worthwhile. Psychiatrists must be experiencing a bonanza in Dubai.
No, it's for advertisement. Dubai is banking on all of its investments to pay off, and making themselves a world class city from nearly nothing.

Doing all this building, from the world islands thing to the WTB, to the world's only 7 star hotel generates loads of talk about them, which is good for them.

One bad side effect is that such flamboyance can more easily generate a love hate relationship...(My opinion)

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #45
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

6-7 star rating is not official, but gives hype and attention. People who have stayed in usual 5-star hotels would expect more from these gimmick ratings, which could turn out more occupancy and sales for the hotel.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #46
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Like the Burj Al Arab, they claim they're 7 stars. What's the reason for that other than the architecture and gold?
It's obvious. It's a marketing gimmick - they must distinguish themselves from the regular Ritz Carlton so more tourists with large cash wads stay over there, and also to Dubai in general.

Most people in the world, including my cousin who acutally LIVES in Dubai, do not (did not) know that official hotel ratings only actually go up to 5* and the 6th and 7th star is self awarded.

As they say, insufficient knowldege is dangerous, and marketing managers take advantage of people who fall for such things.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #47
aravinda

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
It's obvious. It's a marketing gimmick - they must distinguish themselves from the regular Ritz Carlton so more tourists with large cash wads stay over there, and also to Dubai in general.

Most people in the world, including my cousin who acutally LIVES in Dubai, do not (did not) know that official hotel ratings only actually go up to 5* and the 6th and 7th star is self awarded.

As they say, insufficient knowldege is dangerous, and marketing managers take advantage of people who fall for such things.
First off, the hotel is not officially a 7* property. That's just a moniker that a British journalist came up with during one of the hotel's first press reviews. Its officially a 5* property.

As to why it may deserve a 7* rating, there are many reasons. First off, each guest is ushered in a Rolls Royce. They however have the option of arriving via private yatch, submarine or helicopter. Then there's the personal butler that assigned to each suite, on call, 24/7. If that's not enough, each suite (note there are no rooms at the Burj) is dual story, comes with multiple plasma screens for entertainment, has revolving beds, and like mentioned, everything is gold plated!
aravinda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #48
AM Putra

Likes (Received): 5

Whatever the difference rule in each country, a score more than 5 is a joke, hype joke.
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #49
tugavalenciano

Likes (Received): 16

Lisbon has a project of a 7* hotel ...the second in the world!
tugavalenciano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #50
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

The 175m Beetham/Jumeirah Tower London will have a '6 star' hotel:

[IMG]http://i18.************/4hjkchw.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/2d7zg9z.jpg[/IMG]

From the architects website:
"The proposals for One Blackfriars Road, London SE1 are for a mixed scheme containing a 375 bedroom 6* hotel, 120 residential apartments and a publicly accessible sky deck"
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #51
davidearl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

I think the difference here is class and taste vs. over the top "look at me" indulgence ratings here.

It's like trying to compare a classic Cartier Watch to a gaudy Jacob the Jeweler "bling" watch. Sure... the jacob the jewler watch is flashier and pricier... it does not make it work better. Nor does it illustrate that the person wearing it has any more taste.. in fact... I'd argue that they were NEW money and probably grew up very poor.

taste and service obviously mean different things to people all over the world. I would argue that in many parts of the world it is easier to get many services because people are not paid very well and thus anybody with the cash get get...YES! their very own house slave with each suite!

7 stars my ass
davidearl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #52
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidearl View Post
I think the difference here is class and taste vs. over the top "look at me" indulgence ratings here.

It's like trying to compare a classic Cartier Watch to a gaudy Jacob the Jeweler "bling" watch. Sure... the jacob the jewler watch is flashier and pricier... it does not make it work better. Nor does it illustrate that the person wearing it has any more taste.. in fact... I'd argue that they were NEW money and probably grew up very poor.

taste and service obviously mean different things to people all over the world. I would argue that in many parts of the world it is easier to get many services because people are not paid very well and thus anybody with the cash get get...YES! their very own house slave with each suite!

7 stars my ass
I'd tend to agree, in the last decade or two star ratings have generally become much less relivant due to differences in culture, style, etc.

For the business end of the market I'm sure they still have some meaning but as far as tourism goes a brand, info or recommendation is far more important than star rating with often isnt even mentioned.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #53
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Six Star Hotel for Glasgow
Quote:
Glasgow City Council have today awarded planning consent for progress Property Developments' proposed new 6-star Argyle International Hotel and Serviced Apartments development.

Charles Price, CEO of Progress Property Developments, said today:
I am delighted that we have received planning consent for our development proposals. Tourism is already one of Glasgow's biggest industries and after Glasgow's successful bid for the Commonwealth Games 2014 I am certain all these exciting developments will help Glasgow achieve its recently announced goal to be a truly world-class destination. I am delighted that we have been given the opportunity to enable our development to play a part in helping Glasgow achieve its tourism ambitions.

Ian Simpson, PPD's Architect said today:
I am delighted that our scheme has received detailed planning consent as our design is closely aligned with Glasgow's international positioning and its "Glasgow: Scotland with Style" brand. Hotel occupancy in Glasgow is currently running at its highest ever level, and there is an acknowledged shortage at the top.
Quote:
Firms fight to run first 6 star hotel in Scotland

SEVEN international groups are lining up to run what could become Scotland's first six star hotel.

Plans for the luxury £125million complex for the city's International Financial Services District are to be considered by councillors on Tuesday.

And if given the go-ahead the man behind the project, Glasgow-born businessman Charles Price, expects to announce who will run it within weeks.

The 26-storey Argyle International will include a gourmet restaurant, two huge penthouse suites, a rooftop "sky bar" and an infinity swimming pool.

Today Mr Price said: "We are in discussions with seven multi-national operators who have their head offices in the US, Far East and Middle East.

"We hope shortly to be in a position to announce who will be the hotel operator."

Mr Price is determined the Argyle International will be one of the best hotels in Britain. He revealed he is looking for something very special from the firm which will take over its running.

The property tycoon said: "It is not just the size of the company but a question of whether or not they share our dream. One operator has already told me he understands what I want to do and he can make the dream come true."

Mr Price said considerable work has gone into the detail of the hotel since the plan was unveiled in the Evening Times in May. Initially, he planned to have an infinity pool on the top floor of the hotel but has now decided the top floor will be occupied by a bar with stunning panoramic views across the city. The pool will be on the floor below.

Mr Price said: "We want this development to be in tune with what is happening in Glasgow and Scotland. We have promised the city we will create an iconic building which will be acceptable not only to Glasgow but to Scotland and the rest of the world."

One of Mr Price's more unusual ideas is to introduce an artist in residence who will have a base in the hotel where his or her work will be available for sale to guests.

Councillors will decide on the hotel just a week after they voted to kick out another hotel plan for the city. As first revealed by the Evening Times, the design for Staybridge's 20-storey hotel in Jamaica Street was described as hideous' and ghastly'.

If the Argyle International gets the go-ahead it will have 158 large rooms and suites. Adjoining it will be a block of 68 flats serviced by the hotel for guests planning a longer stay in the city.

The proposed site for the hotel is currently partially occupied by a pawnbroker's store.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #54
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Alot of people in Dubai must be beyond insecure. First a testosterone fuelled race to build the tallest building. Now 7 star hotels! People who are attention starved develop edifice complexes or buy expensive designer brands to feel more important. It's a classic knee-jerk reaction of individuals who don't feel they measure up. Ambition is commendable, but what is happening in Dubai is actually vulgar and crass.

Inventing the classification of 7-star hotel smacks of insecure people who need to elevate themselves to feel worthwhile. Psychiatrists must be experiencing a bonanza in Dubai.
You should write for the Star Isaidso
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote