daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #221
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/06/ny...pagewanted=all
At Ground Zero, Accord Brings a Work of Art

By GLENN COLLINS
Published: March 6, 2006

Nicole Bengiveno/The New York TimesIn the lobby of 7 World Trade Center: David M. Childs, left, the architect; Larry A. Silverstein, the developer, with his wife, Klara; and Jenny Holzer, the artist of the wall of words.

Cultural negotiations at ground zero between the artist Jenny Holzer and the developer Larry A. Silverstein have ended not just in an agreement, but in a work of art.

The initial disagreements might seem puny compared with the disputes between Mr. Silverstein and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, between Mr. Bloomberg and Senator Charles E. Schumer, and between Gov. George E. Pataki and various other stakeholders at the site.

But the accord is a rare and public sign of progress in this very disputatious neighborhood in Lower Manhattan. Already, thousands of moving, ghostly-white words of text have been programmed by Ms. Holzer evoking the history of New York; they will scroll across a glowing, 65-foot-wide, 14-foot-high wall in the lobby of 7 World Trade Center. Though the artwork resides in the lobby, it is already visible several blocks away. It is the ornament of the first skyscraper to have been built at ground zero, rising from the rubble of the first 7 World Trade Center.

The artwork — a continuing stream of poetry and prose written by dozens of different authors, from Elizabeth Bishop and Allen Ginsberg to Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman — will move along a screen made of acid-etched, diffused, translucent glass illuminated by whitish light.

It will take at least eight hours for the entire text to scroll by, Ms. Holzer said. The piece will dominate the lobby of the 52-story building, a shimmering, sharp-edged parallelogram sheathed in glass at the intersection of Greenwich and Barclay Streets at the northern edge of ground zero.

Though the $700 million building is not scheduled to open until mid-May, the artwork is already being tweaked. The letters appear in a five-foot-high band of text about two-thirds of the way up the high-tech wall, which was created, with Ms. Holzer, by James Carpenter, a Manhattan designer.

Under the high slabs of glass, white light-emitting diodes are threaded on 14-foot-tall metal ribbons. The laminated, structurally fortified wall is also a security amenity, screening the public from the private precincts of the building, and acting as a blast shield in case of terrorist attack.

As with so much related to the World Trade Center site, the lobby art for Building 7 did not come into being without initial struggle. Mr. Silverstein thought a competition among glass artists might yield a grand centerpiece for the lobby, but David M. Childs of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the architects of 7 World Trade Center, had another idea.

He wanted Ms. Holzer, the 55-year-old art star whose enigmatic light projects — which often feature words that savage government and capitalism — have been displayed from the Guggenheim Museum in New York to the Reichstag in Berlin.

"The building is all about light and transparency," Mr. Childs said. "I thought the wall would be a prime opportunity to do something on a grand scale."

Mr. Silverstein was concerned that the location at ground zero imposed restraints. "Sometimes the message of artists is a downer," he said. "Down here, after 9/11, we need positive stuff. Good stuff, as opposed to the miseries of 9/11. I didn't know how we could work together." Mr. Silverstein added, "I decided not to do it because I felt that I'd have difficulties with her word program." He agreed only after prodding by Mr. Childs and an agreement from Ms. Holzer to remove text he found objectionable.

"I was taken aback at the gravity of the project," Ms. Holzer said. "I didn't want to make bad or insensitive art."

Mr. Silverstein asked his wife of 49 years, Klara, to work with Ms. Holzer. Theirs was an on-again, off-again collaboration for more than a year. Mrs. Silverstein reviewed Ms. Holzer's poetry selections and felt that several "were too graphic; I felt that they would bring back images that people might want to forget," she said. She worried that many of those who would pass through the lobby had personally experienced Sept. 11, 2001.

Among the rejected works was a poem, "Photographs of Sept. 11th," by the 1996 Nobel Laureate, Wislawa Szymborska; it focused on those who jumped from the World Trade Center. Ms. Holzer's texts became the poetry of compromise, and the project avoided the fate of famous disastrous collaborations like that of the artist Diego Rivera and John D. Rockefeller Jr. that resulted in the 1936 obliteration of the artist's anticapitalist mural in the lobby of the RCA Building.

"A lot of artists would have huffed and gone off," Mr. Childs said. "But Jenny didn't."

The Holzer-Silverstein collaboration was an odd fit. "He is very energetic and positive," she said, "and I'm energetic and always think the sky is falling."

There was little desk-pounding, but Mr. Silverstein said, "Conflict is part of the creative endeavor." Ms. Holzer has by no means finished with Mr. Silverstein's wall, and friction between artist and patron could resurface. After a while, she would like to refresh it with new text. "I hope to feed it again," Ms. Holzer said. "It would be nice to keep it alive."

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #222
skyclimber
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Has anybody got latest pics of ground zero. I went up the twin towers 15 years ago and went back 2 1/2 years ago to look at the afterrmath.

UK forums
skyclimber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #223
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Um, the last I checked. the core of this tower was made of reinforced concrete AND steel.... much earlier in this thread, there are pics on the lower floors showing some areas of the core and some of the beams which you can see are encased in concrete, along with the very thick shear walls, and main core walls.. The main core walls that go around the lift shafts, are at least a foot thick of concrete!!
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #224
Jose Luis
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 44

I like the idea of the wall of words, its pretty cool.
Jose Luis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #225
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

Stunning!

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #226
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #227
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

the sidewalks of this building will be lifeless...no store fronts!!! what a waste

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #228
Phobos

^And it seems FT will follow the same model
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #229
TalB
Refugee

While the base looks fitting for 7 WTC, it looks ugly for the FT.
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:57 AM   #230
fish

Likes (Received):

If the Port Authority were to just give up and surrender control to Larry Silverstein, he could develop it much quicker.

Look, #7 WTC is almost done because Larry did it his way (and he made it taller).

I believe if Larry had the choice, he would rebuild the Twin Towers - stronger and taller.
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #231
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The new Seven World Trade Center is a sharp skyscraper; she just won a gold LEED rating. I hope that the other World Trade Center skyscrapers will look as good.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #232
KansasCityMO

Likes (Received): 2

What is the news on One World Trade Center? I haven't heard anything about it.
KansasCityMO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #233
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCityMO
What is the news on One World Trade Center? I haven't heard anything about it.

Construction starts on Monday. Construction on the Freedom Tower, One World Trade Center, itself will start in April.
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #234
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
Construction starts on Monday. Construction on the Freedom Tower, One World Trade Center, itself will start in April.
April 2008 or 2009?

Its not even going to be the tallest in the US. Spire is 1600 to roof and 2000 to the spire. FT will be 1200 to roof 1776 to spire.

It should be 1776 to roof 2001 for the spire, the year the attacks happened and you beat the Spire by a FT.
TroyBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #235
Ebola
BANNED

April of 2006, in a few weeks.

It will be the tallest in the US becaue the spire is considered part of the this skyscraper.
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #236
TalB
Refugee

I wouldn't be breaking out any champaign bottles for the FT just yet.
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #237
fish

Likes (Received):

Did someone say the Freedom Tower will be the tallest?
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #238
TowersNYC
Carlos V

OH LORD here we go again....

I Love NY
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #239
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 192

I wish they would scrape the Freedom Tower Design. And have Adrian Smith design something that would be a real Supertall. Instead of a 1776 foot tall Tower with only 70 floors that you can actually use.

CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #240
TowersNYC
Carlos V

^ WORD !

I Love NY