daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2005, 06:06 PM   #41
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

sorry i don't like it that much. it is almost too simple
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:12 PM   #42
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

7 WTC too simple ?

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:23 PM   #43
London
New York

Likes (Received): 0

You'd think in today's day and age, they'll make somethin other than an ordinary blue box....! And some new yorkers have the cheek to slate London's projects! huh!

Et cetera.....
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:04 PM   #44
Islander
SSP Native

Likes (Received): 1

^You're so right. after all, every building u/c and proposed in NY is a blue box.
Islander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:28 PM   #45
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3633

I think it's despite to the original square-shape of NY City "grid lines" and aall developers want to create more built-up area and office spaces as much as posssible. Thats the reason why they'r all boxes., but boxes are GOOD !!

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:07 PM   #46
TowersNYC
Carlos V

the London project is Impressive! is it gonna get build???

I Love NY
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #47
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 9

Hopefully.... its quite complicated the tower has planning permission though
Old August 1st, 2005, 02:03 AM   #48
sfenn1117

London Bridge Tower fails to compare to ESB. Besides, have you checked out 80 South Street which will be u/c soon in Lower Manhattan? One of the most unique/original designs ever conceived. Oh and soon a 75 story tower will be u/c in the same area by some guy named Frank Gehry. (No renderings yet)
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 03:29 AM   #49
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

when is it supposely to be finish?
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #50
TowersNYC
Carlos V

I Love NY
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #51
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.newyorkbusiness.com/artic...id=23570&arc=n
Chinese firm eyes big site for NY center

City pushes for downtown location such as 7 WTC, but midtown could win

By Julie Satow
Published on August 29, 2005

One of China's largest real estate companies is seeking up to 1 million square feet of office space in Manhattan to create a center for Chinese companies establishing operations in the United States.

Beijing Ventone Real Estate gave formal approval earlier this month to seek suitable office space in the city, according to New York businesspeople who have been working with the company. It would lease the space, and then sublease offices to Chinese companies that want a headquarters in the West. Ventone would provide those companies with support services such as conference facilities and translators.

Ventone is considering both midtown and downtown for the new venture, but city leaders are pushing hard for a downtown location.

"We are hopeful that they'll go to 7 World Trade Center," says Kathryn Wylde, president of the Partnership for New York City. A meager 20,000 square feet of the 1.7 million-square-foot World Trade Center tower is leased, not including an office for the developer and World Trade Center leaseholder, Larry Silverstein.

City officials agree that a downtown location is best. The plan "dovetails nicely with what we are trying to accomplish downtown," says Josh Sirefman, assistant to Deputy Mayor Daniel Doctoroff. "Ventone's preference is for lower Manhattan, from what I understand." A number of Chinese companies were located at the original World Trade Center.

Still, space abounds in midtown, which could pose competition for the site. Blocks include 1 million square feet at the Bank of America tower at 1 Bryant Park and 700,000 square feet up for grabs at The New York Times Building at West 41st Street and Eighth Avenue. But because it lacks the incentives available downtown and has higher rents, midtown would be far more expensive.

New government policy

Ventone could not be reached, and its broker, Peter Riguardi of Jones Lang LaSalle, didn't return calls for comment.

Last fall, China decided to encourage Chinese businesses to invest overseas. The most recent indication of the impact of this is Chinese computer giant Lenovo's acquisition of IBM Corp.'s personal computer division for $1.75 billion. Lenovo has since opened an office in New York.

68 Chinese firms in New York

According to Laura Aubuchon, a senior vice president at the city's Economic Development Corp., 68 China-based firms have offices in New York. Of China's 32 largest companies--with $500 million or more in annual sales revenue--13 have a presence in the city.

The Chinese government has agreed to allow Ventone to create an off-shore company, but the plan to establish a business center is still wending its way through the complicated governmental approval process, Ms. Wylde says.

One of China's largest private developers, Ventone earned $108 million last year. One of its most recent developments is the $300 million "Central Park" in Beijing. It boasts 1,800 residential units and 2,000 parking spaces within the 1 million-square-foot project.

©2005 Crain Communications Inc.
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #52
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/...l=nyc-swapbox1
7 WTC almost complete, awaits tenants

BY PRADNYA JOSHI
STAFF WRITER

August 29, 2005

Exterior photo of 7 World Trade Center in lower Manhattan
(Newsday photo / J. Conrad Williams Jr.)

Exit stairs of 7 World Trade Center are 20 percent wider. The tube under the hand rail is an emergency lighting system which runs throughout both staircases. Photo taken on August 25, 2005 in lower Manhattan.

Reinforced concrete walls inside 7 World Trade Center, protect the building core for the full height of the building, including exit stairs, elevators and building lobby. The fireproofing material used to protect the steel structure is more than 5 times as durable as required by building codes. Photo taken on August 25, 2005 lower Manhattan.

Frank Hussey of Tishman Construction, shows the width of the newly designed reinforced concrete walls of 7 World Trade Center in lower Manhattan. Photo taken on August 25, 2005.

Exterior photo of 7 World Trade Center in lower Manhattan on August 25, 2005.

Reinforced concrete walls inside 7 World Trade Center, protect the building core for the full height of the building, including exit stairs, elevators and building lobby. The fireproofing material used to protect the steel structure is more than 5 times as durable as required by building codes. Photo taken on August 25, 2005 lower Manhattan.

Men working in the lobby of 7 World Trade Center in lower Manhattan on August 25, 2005.

The beam that connects the core and the reinforced concrete walls inside 7 World Trade Center. Photo taken on August 25, 2005 lower Manhattan.

The sweeping view of the Manhattan skyline from the 52nd floor of 7 World Trade Center looking north could easily be a scene from a Ken Burns documentary.

With a breathtaking vantage point, tenants will hardly notice the reinforced core, the environmentally friendly water usage and cutting-edge art featured in the lobby.

Although many other plans for downtown development remain in flux, Silverstein Properties' 7 World Trade Center is just about done. The $700 million building is about 90 percent complete and will be ready for tenants to move in around March 2006.

At its peak, nearly 1,000 people worked on erecting the building and now about 400 people on any given day labor on the 741-foot tower.

"We get a little extra productivity on the job," said Jack Klein, vice president of construction at Silverstein. "It's more of a privilege to work here."

Already, the Consolidated Edison substation taking up the first four floors is up and running and feeding power to much of lower Manhattan. Currently, workers are installing the 29 elevators, commissioning the mechanical systems that will control the building and installing amenities for a park such as fountain and other greenery that will greet people entering on Greenwich Street.

President Larry Silverstein is aware that many naysayers still hound him about one critical issue: the lack of committed tenants for the building. But this building is being built "on spec," or without an anchor tenant. Such a move can be financially risky, but Silverstein built the original 7 WTC on spec in 1987 and was able to fill it up. In addition, new city and state incentives passed this summer have spurred interest, said Steve Siegel, chairman of global brokerage of CB Richard Ellis, the exclusive real-estate agency for the building.

So far, Ameriprise Financial, a subsidiary that is separating from American Express Co., is rumored to be close to signing a deal for about 20,000 square feet. That still leaves most of the 1.7 million square feet available. CBRE is slated to open a sales and marketing office next month at the base of the building, making it easier to show off the building to prospective tenants. Silverstein also hopes that with an address at 250 Greenwich St., the building's connection to trendy TriBeCa will attract tenants.

Copyright © 2005, Newsday, Inc.
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #53
firulais2005

WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE OPEN?
firulais2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #54
Jose Luis
Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 44

The lobby looks hot.
Jose Luis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #55
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31711

I'm very dissapointed at this box not worth of the site it stands.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:12 AM   #56
TalB
Refugee

I think it looks good, but the FT doesn't belong there.
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:58 AM   #57
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
I think it looks good, but the FT doesn't belong there.
Dude thats not the Freedom Tower. That is the site of one of the buildings that was destroyed when the World Trade Centre collapsed on top of it.

I think 7 WTC is a stunningly elegant tower, and in my opinion, a much more impressive tower than the new designs for the Freedom Tower.

Awesome.
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:18 AM   #58
Media

I don't get people saying it is great.
All it is a plain boring box. Nothing great about it. It is a unoriginal generic box, don't we not value original architecture anymore?

For one thing, if i was the design architect of this project i would be embaressed to have my name associated with a plain boring generic box with absolutely no originality.
Media no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:19 AM   #59
Media

[QUOTE=The Boy David]
I think 7 WTC is a stunningly elegant tower, and in my opinion, a much more impressive tower than the new designs for the Freedom Tower.

There is nothing impressive about a box, no matter how shiny it is. Maybe i will be impressed if it can float on water, but until then it is a plain boring generic box and nothing more.

Last edited by Media; August 31st, 2005 at 02:30 AM.
Media no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:17 AM   #60
firulais2005

i like it who ever says it ugly is jealous
firulais2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote