daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM   #641
jongbasco
ridiculously awesome!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by demented_pigeon View Post
wtf? So cartoonists can't be artists? Let me see, isn't Neil Gaiman considered a sentinel in the graphic novel industry but he doesn't make the panels himself?
screw those critics. Just because Carlo J. Caparas doesn't cater to some snobby hip and elite market doesn't mean he isn't an artists. The huge contribution his work has done for Pinoy masa pop culture should have been given recognition a looong time ago. As far as I'm concerned, graphic artists should be recognized for what they are, artists.

I doubt that the criticism was for the reason that Caparas isn't deserving. It is more of the fact that the mainstream in the art scene has never recognized cartoonists as artists.
Don't even go there. Please don't make this about classes.
jongbasco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #642
Wonderboy
a.k.a Escolta Kid

Likes (Received): 2

Carlo Caparas isn't not even a cartoonist. He lets someone draw/illustrate his ideas. Apart from this, huge bulk of his work especially on the later part of his career was devoted to making massacre films.

Cartoonists like Larry Alcala should be on the list. Other "masa" or "artists accessible to Pinoy mainstream" like Dolphy or Nora Aunor should be nominated as National Artist.

Lino Brocka and Ishmael Bernal's films (who are also National Artists) are accessible to everyone, "masa" included. Even the themes of their movies specifically reflects the dilemma of a lowly blue collared Pinoy worker or a hopeless Pinoy living in a slum.

Last edited by Wonderboy; August 4th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Wonderboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #643
Pinoy_ako

Nagdedefend pa nga na may karapatan daw siyang maging National Artist. Dagdag pa, pinagpawisan daw niya iyong mga peliculang ginawa niya at wag daw puro elitista lamang ang inominate. Ginawa pang issue ang estado sa buhay gayong hindi naman itong mga sinasabi niya ang batayan sa pagpili sa pagiging National Artist kundi ang kanilang craft.

Alang-alang sa mga National Artist na magbibigay sa ating mga Pilipino ng karangalan dahil sa kanilang mga akda na maaaring itapat sa mga akda ng mga dayuhan, alang-alang sa mga National Artist na may katangi-tanging mga obra, di ko kayang matawag na National Artist si Caparas dahil maraming mga direktor, buhay man o patay na may mas magagaling na obra kaysa sa kaniya.

The award may be conferred upon him, but not the honor that goes with it.
Pinoy_ako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #644
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Carlo Caparas isn't not even a cartoonist. He lets someone draw/illustrate his ideas. Apart from this, huge bulk of his work especially on the later part of his career was devoted to making massacre films.

Cartoonists like Larry Alcala should be on the list. Other "masa" or "artists accessible to Pinoy mainstream" like Dolphy or Nora Aunor should be nominated as National Artist.

Lino Brocka and Ishmael Bernal's films (who are also National Artists) are accessible to everyone, "masa" included. Even the themes of their movies specifically reflects the dilemma of a lowly blue collared Pinoy worker or a hopeless Pinoy living in a slum.
I like Larry Alcala's cartoon especially where you have to look for him. Its much better than those Waldo books.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #645
dvbaicrviser
dwtc keeper

Likes (Received): 12

http://www.spot.ph/2009/08/01/carlo-j-all-the-way/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzMNhAT5fI

"But I must reserve a special place in my heart for The Cory Quirino Kidnap (2003), which is so transcendentally bad it approaches the territory of genius. Ara Mina plays the famous socialite. Here the supposed North Forbes diction smokes like hell: “Yes, I wuz keeeednap!” Memorable scenes: slow motion shot of Ara a la shampoo commercial, and when she turns her head to face the camera she becomes…. the real Cory Quirino. Plus, the ending: the rescue sequence where the heavens part to the grandiose rhythms of Handel’s Messiah. With special effects that seemed to have been made with laundry chemicals and discount-store crayola."

By Lourd Ernest de Veyra | Published: August 1, 2009

Last edited by dvbaicrviser; August 6th, 2009 at 12:05 PM.
dvbaicrviser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #646
eonynx
BÄNNËD

Location: iloilo City: where old charm meets renewed vibrancy; malate; paranaque; quezon city
Likes (Received): 2532

at best, caparas is an astute and prolific film maker who knows the pulse of the masa. but to consider his cinematic oeuvre as art, i'm sorry but i really have my doubts with that! the vandalized portrayal and endorsement by pres. arroyo says it all. his works are popcorn movies.

again, at best, he can be recognized in other levels in relation to his work. but bestowing to him the national artist award would surely create protests-as they are right now-from people who are true artists and from people who support genuine art.

Last edited by eonynx; August 7th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
eonynx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #647
Ang_Bantayanon
Taga-isla ini!

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy_ako View Post

Nagdedefend pa nga na may karapatan daw siyang maging National Artist. Dagdag pa, pinagpawisan daw niya iyong mga peliculang ginawa niya at wag daw puro elitista lamang ang inominate. Ginawa pang issue ang estado sa buhay gayong hindi naman itong mga sinasabi niya ang batayan sa pagpili sa pagiging National Artist kundi ang kanilang craft.

Alang-alang sa mga National Artist na magbibigay sa ating mga Pilipino ng karangalan dahil sa kanilang mga akda na maaaring itapat sa mga akda ng mga dayuhan, alang-alang sa mga National Artist na may katangi-tanging mga obra, di ko kayang matawag na National Artist si Caparas dahil maraming mga direktor, buhay man o patay na may mas magagaling na obra kaysa sa kaniya.

The award may be conferred upon him, but not the honor that goes with it.
I agree with you. He doesn't deserve the award. The films he made are worthless. He may receive the award but would never get the respect from other national artists and the Filipino people.
Ang_Bantayanon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #648
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Likes (Received): 5

pati ba naman "Gawad Pambansang Alagad Ng Sining" ay pinatay na rin ng pinoy

R.I.P.

Why Carlo Caparas shouldn’t be a National Artist
Maxxclip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #649
Wonderboy
a.k.a Escolta Kid

May protest rally ngayong hapon sa CCP ramp ng 2 P.M. Sana makahabol yung mga nais ipaglaban ang sagrado at nirerespeto na Parangal para sa Pambansang alagad ng Sining.
Wonderboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #650
eonynx
BÄNNËD

Location: iloilo City: where old charm meets renewed vibrancy; malate; paranaque; quezon city

Palace to angry artists: Bring it on
(The Philippine Star) Updated August 10, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang urged yesterday protesting artists to question President Arroyo’s appointment of this year’s National Artists before the Supreme Court.

Press Secretary Cerge Remonde said the Palace respects the protests as long as they are done within the law.

“It appears that every time there are (National Artist) awards, those not chosen create noise,” he said.

“Now if they want to bring that issue to the SC, that is also well and good. It is definitely their right to bring the case to court and we welcome that.

“We welcome if they bring the case to court so that once and for all this issue will be settled legally.”

However, Remonde said the protesting artists must not question the process of selecting the awardees and their qualifications.

“Maybe these people (critics) have friends who they want to be given the title so they malign the latest awardees,” he said.

Executive Order 436 that established the Honors Code of the Philippines empowers the President to decide whom to bestow various state awards, Remonde said.

A group led by National Artist for Literature Bienvenido Lumbera reportedly plans to ask the SC to stop the conferment of the title National Artist to seven awardees.

‘Alvarez appointment illegal’

Sen. Francis Pangilinan said the appointment of Cecile Guidote-Alvarez as National Artist is illegal and must be recalled.

“She is prohibited by express provision of law from competing for awards considering that she is an incumbent commissioner,” he said.

“They cite an executive order to defend the appointment, but an EO can never amend a specific provision of the law. There is clearly a conflict of interest in this case—a wrong that a specific provision of the law precisely seeks to prevent.”

Pangilinan said the artists have a valid case.

“If Malacañang insists on this illegal act, then the artist community should bring the matter to court on a petition for prohibition,” he said,

On the other hand, Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago said Alvarez and film director-writer Carlo J. Caparas, whose appointment has also been opposed, should just decline the National Artist award out of delicadeza.

“It seems there are valid reasons to the objections, not just that maybe they are jealous or so,” she said.

“But the President has announced it. It’s a slap on their faces if these are recalled. So it is up to them, if they will accept or decline it. (I think) They should just decline it on their own.” — Paolo Romero, Christina Mendez

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=63

--------------------------------

the black colored highlighted portion of the news article just shows how out of touch the perceptions of the palace regarding this matter. it's not that the artists-critics have friends that they want to include in this year's national artist awards. the point being, conferring the title of national artist to the concerned persons is really questionalble in terms of being deserving or not!
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #651
bitoy
The Great Northwest

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Palace to angry artists: Bring it on
Naghamon na naman ang palasyo.

The appointee(s) in question by the critics can decline the awards, but that would be a slap in the face of GMA and the Awards Committee.
bitoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #652
newgabskii
Redifining Life

i believe all the awarded artists deserve their respective titles its just that people ("critics") are too objective to inclued their personal bets for national artist awards.
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #653
eonynx
BÄNNËD

or rather you mean to say, too subjective. these critics that you are alluding too are the very same "true" artists whose lives are dedicated to the propagation of art.
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #654
newgabskii
Redifining Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxclip View Post
pati ba naman "Gawad Pambansang Alagad Ng Sining" ay pinatay na rin ng pinoy

R.I.P.

Why Carlo Caparas shouldn’t be a National Artist
i dont agree with all these...
every artist's masterpiece is a unique work of art and is the product of the mind. i vote for carlo caparas.
if you compare the king of comedy to the king of comics they are obviously different in terms of "spelling" and genre. i pity abs-cbn for influencing people the wrong way.
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #655
eonynx
BÄNNËD

if you call caparas an artist, i respect you opinion no matter how i disagree with it. but i doubt if he will be considered one by our so-called "true" artists.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #656
Planning Democracy

Likes (Received): 129

What about Cecille Guidotti Alvarez' achievements? What has she done? She along with Caparas was one of those who were "inserted" as National Artists.

Hmm, I wonder if the selection committee even knew that Caparas wasn't the one who drew his comics? Maybe Mother Lily should be included in the list next year. Wow, you can be a national artist just because you are famous...
Planning Democracy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #657
manila_eye
Idiot Killer

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgabskii View Post
i dont agree with all these...
every artist's masterpiece is a unique work of art and is the product of the mind. i vote for carlo caparas.
if you compare the king of comedy to the king of comics they are obviously different in terms of "spelling" and genre. i pity abs-cbn for influencing people the wrong way.
Art is subjective but the thing is there are more people deserving than he is. Of course, ones work could be good or not depending on one's perspective. Caparas was given the award based on his films and it was done not following the proper procedure. His name was inserted. If it was done in accordance to the process then no one should protesting by now.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #658
Maxxclip
Maximus Expelliarmus

Likes (Received): 5

sa isang lugar sa Divisoria

"Hayaan na natin sa kanya ang damit na yan! Maano ba't ibabalik din niya iyan."

"E bakit ba?"

"E kung hindi ba sya marunong magbasa, paano ba magkakasya yung damit sa kanya gayung small sya e XL yung kinuha nya."
Maxxclip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #659
jcombalicer

Larry Alcala is the King of Comics. not Carlo Caparas

The old glory was gone long time ago, change is inevitable. It's now up to us to make change work for us. - jcombalicer

Please sign in as followers in my blog
http://jcombalicer.blogspot.com
jcombalicer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #660
bukid
Fishful

Delusions

By Conrado de Quiros
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 00:54:00 08/12/2009

This one got swept aside by events this last couple of weeks but is too important to let pass. That is the elevation of Carlo Caparas and Cecile Guidote to national artists, a thing that has the other national artists up in arms.

My take on it is this: I don’t buy the distinction between “artist” and “entertainer.” Nothing prevents the artist from being an entertainer and nothing prevents the entertainer from being an artist. Preferably, the two should go together. Art that is disdainful of audience ends up being more hoity-toity than artistic, or ends up being more a pain in the ass than a joy to the soul.

I myself have never thought of entertainment as something that “whiles the time away” or “diverts.” I’ve always thought of entertainment as something that uses time well or gets to the point. Or gets the point. From an artistic point of view, that’s entertainment.

I do buy however the distinction between commercial and artistic. The artistic adds to the sum of human wisdom, or our understanding of the human predicament. The commercial panders to the lowest common denominator, and adds nothing to, or even subtracts from, the sum of human knowledge. That is my answer to Caparas’s supporters’ charge that his detractors are merely being elitist. I myself have no problems with Caparas being an entertainer. But I have problems with him being a commercial entertainer and not an artistic one.

As accomplishment goes, he will have to fall in line behind Mars Ravelo, Nestor Redondo and the other komiks greats. And their own claims to being national artists will be in serious dispute.

The distinction between an artistic entertainer and a commercial one is easily seen by comparing Lino Brocka and Carlo Caparas. I still remember something Brocka told a group of us sometime before he died. His first line of defense, he said, were his maids. If his maids didn’t like what he did, he would change it. Only when they were satisfied would he be satisfied. You can’t get more masa than that.

But he didn’t stop there. He made sure too that his maids got something they hadn’t seen before. Something new, something different, something better. He made sure his maids went away not just delighted about what they saw but asking questions about what they saw.

Brocka did melodramas, but he sculpted full-blooded characters out of them. Caparas did komiks, and made komiks out of characters. Artistry has nothing to do with whether your material is “hi-class” or “wa-class.” It has everything to do with what you do with it.

Guidote’s case is easier. Of course she helped build the Philippine Educational Theater Association (PETA), of course she, in the words of her defenders, “showed lifetime dedication . . . in leading the movement for national theater and its development to forge our cultural identity and preserve our heritage.” That is a reason only for theater to be grateful to her, that is not a reason for her to become a national artist. The National Artist Award is given to artistry, not to patronage. If it weren’t so, then Imelda Marcos should be proclaimed National Artist, having built the CCP and been a great benefactor to Cecile Licad. Organizing, however it is done indefatigably, resolutely and even heroically as in times of death and fascist rule, is admirable and deserving of honor. That honor is not the National Artist Award.

Now, for the more extrinsic issues, which are in fact the more important issues here.

At the very least, the way Caparas and Guidote have been named national artists is tasteless. Guidote says that though she is the executive director of the National Council on Culture and the Arts, the body that oversees the grant of the award, she had nothing to do with the selection process. What can one say? The GMA virus must be more contagious than A-(H1N1). Guidote’s patron has nothing to do with the Ombudsman either, or shouldn’t, but see if Merceditas Gutierrez will not nominate her saint. As to Caparas, his legend lies only in the way he helped GMA pull down the house Ang Panday built during the last elections.

That brings us to the heart of the matter, which is Malacañang fiddling with art. I have a special fondness for art and artists, and that I truly mind. If there’s an urgent and compelling need for Malacañang to have nothing to do with the appointment of the justices of the Supreme Court, there’s an even more urgent and compelling need for Malacañang to have nothing to do with the appointment of national artists. I don’t know that the appointment of justices should be left to lawyers alone. But I do know that the appointment of national artists should be left to artists alone.

Malacañang has no business decreeing artists. The spectacle I see is that of Josef Stalin and Nikita Khrushchev visiting art museums in the former Soviet Union and proclaiming which things there are art and which are not, a presumption as vast as the Urals. Given in particular that they were as much a gift to art as FDR was to the marathon. The notion of Arroyo doing the same, when her palate is limited only to wine and caviar and steak costing $20,000, leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Expense is not a sign of art, or of taste.

I don’t know which is worse, Imelda explicitly claiming to be the handmaiden of the true, good and beautiful, which are the hallmarks of art, or Arroyo implicitly doing so. Imelda at least had the external trappings of beauty, even if her and her husband’s rule was uglier than the portrait of Dorian Gray. Arroyo doesn’t even have that. Her own rule has become only, well, the artistic representation of all that is not true, good and beautiful. For her to decree who should be national artists is for her to decree who should be national heroes.

That’s not just a Carlo Caparas fantasy, that’s a delusion.