daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:05 PM   #61
sugarboy
Talonggo gid ya!

Likes (Received): 0

somewhere along the way, the list missed out the name of rafe totengco, bag and fashion designer extraordinaire. click www.rafeny.com
sugarboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:11 PM   #62
Lili
The Original is The Best

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle@1008
no that's not her I'm talking about cecil sicangco-licad not cecille licad their two different people
Oh ok Kyle. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarboy
somewhere along the way, the list missed out the name of rafe totengco, bag and fashion designer extraordinaire. click www.rafeny.com
Yes! Rafe! Thanks for the mention and the link@sugarboy.
Lili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM   #63
Sinjin P.
Lingkod-Bayan

Likes (Received): 497

Who do you think are WORLD CLASS PINOY ARTISTS?
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM   #64
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 35

World class? Lots of them are. It's a pretty broad category. I mean what forms of art are you talking about?

Jessica Hagedorn, Lav Diaz, Lino Brocka, Mike De Leon, Fernando Zobel de Ayala, Ninotchka Rosca, Ang Kiukok, Bhen Cervantes--- these are all artists in different fields that can be considered "world class."

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:58 PM   #65
Lili
The Original is The Best

More on Mig Ayesa

Article by Ricky Lo
Philippine Star

First, the bad news: Filipino-Australian MiG Ayesa finished only third in the CBS reality show Rock Star: INXS (which is in search of a lead singer for the group). MiG’s loss came as a downer not only to his wife Simone but also, more so, to the fans he has attracted during the contest, many of whom religiously texted votes for MiG. I’m sure that my friend, topnotch lawyer Katrina Legarda (namesake of the hurricane that levelled New Orleans to the ground), who is a cousin of MiG’s, is also disappointed.

"I did the best that I could," said MiG in his first ever exclusive interview after Rock Star: INXS, with Funfare’s New York correspondent Edmund Silvestre (news editor of The Filipino Reporter), "and making it to the finals was more than I thought I would do."

Now, the good news: MiG is coming for a vacation in December and he’s more than willing to do a concert as a gesture of gratitude to his fans who rooted and prayed for him all the way.

Here’s Edmund’s full report:

With his warm, captivating charm and nearly flawless performance week after week, MiG Ayesa was a consistent favorite to become INXS’ new lead singer. But in the end, the 35-year-old Filipino-Australian settled for third place behind top winner JD Fortune of Canada, and second placer Marty Casey of the US in Tuesday’s finale of the CBS’ reality show, Rock Star: INXS.

But the guy’s not sweating it.

"I did the best that I could and making it to the finals was more than I thought I would do," he told The Filipino Reporter from his Los Angeles hotel. "I was kinda expecting it (not winning) to be honest, because Marty and JD had been performing very well the past three weeks and they’re really in the forefront. And I could feel that INXS was leaning more towards what they’re (Marty and JD) doing than what I was doing so I knew that the first person to go would be me, and I was right."

When asked about his wife Simone’s reaction, MiG burst into a hearty guffaw. "Thank God it’s over...she’s disappointed that I was eliminated, for sure, and she was surprised that Marty lost to JD. But my wife said I will always be her rock star and that’s what matters most."

So why did INXS pick JD over him and Marty? "I think INXS is looking for a bad boy image and I think I was just too nice for them," he laughed. People.com earlier noted that MiG "has a great voice," but his theatricality could work against him. "Some of the guys (in INXS) still feel he’s got a lot of (musical) theater in him," it stated.

Before returning to his wife and Maltese dog named "Powder" in London, and to his band called MiGnition, the Manila-born singer will be staying in Los Angeles "for a couple of weeks to meet with people in the industry."

He’s heading to Manila in December for Christmas and enjoy the famous white sand beaches of Boracay. "Boracay is among the best in the world," he said. "I’m so excited."

MiG says he’s open to staging a concert in Manila and meeting fans who followed the Rock Star reality series.

"I would love to meet President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo," says MiG, whose mestizo parents are Alfonso Ayesa and the former Carmen Legarda. "The President is cute and charming, and my aunt (Dr. Ching Legarda, whose husband Dr. Ramon Legarda is lawyer Katrina’s uncle) said she’s very smart and intelligent.

"I’m very proud of being a Filipino and I even wore ‘I Love Philippines’ T-shirt on the show at one time," he adds. "I want to thank the Filipinos again and again for their support because I could not have done this without them. I will always be a Filipino."

When asked to say something in Filipino, he uttered, "Mabuhay ang Pilipinas. Salamat po."

"My Tagalog is putik," he said, referring to his broken Filipino, "but I’m working on it."
Old September 25th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #66
sandrin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

I have yet to find out which competition they'd conquered.

Last edited by sandrin; September 25th, 2005 at 07:18 PM.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #67
Lili
The Original is The Best

^ I really like the colorful barongs and the ladies' ternos. Yes, the UP Singing Ambassadors have brought pride to the country. I always enjoy their performances whenever I get to watch them in their sojourn here in the US.
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #68
sandrin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

How Filipinos saved their Olympics for the arts

First posted 11:29pm (Mla time) Sept 27, 2005
By Vincent Cabreza
Inquirer News Service

CORDILLERA PHOTOGRAPHER TOMMY HAFALLA brought home the gold from the Olympics for the arts held early this month in Malaysia, but only after he wielded hammer and nails to help stage these games.

Hafalla won the world photography prize of the second Delphic Games held Sept. 1 to 7 at Kuching City in Sarawak, Malaysia, for his photographic documentation of “begnas” (rice ritual) in Sagada, Mt. Province.

Ifugao sculptor Gilbert Alberto won a gold in the stone sculpture competition for his “Spirit Cat,” while architect Rey Florentino topped the games’ architecture conservation category.

It was the Philippines’ first gold harvest from this largely underrated Olympics that was sponsored by the International Delphic Council (IDC), a world art movement that aims to redirect the artwork of 40 countries away from their elite commercial markets.

But like the birth pains of fledgling institutions, the games almost failed to proceed this month after the Malaysian government pulled out its sponsorship.

So Hafalla, a few Filipino craftsmen and the artisans of at least 23 participating countries pooled their resources, skills and time to co-produce the Delphic Games themselves.

Hafalla helped mount the artwork of various foreign artists. Baguio-based theater artist Raffy Kapuno, who won honorable mention for the games’ storytelling competition, volunteered to host some of the games’ evening programs.

Even the judging became the delegates’ chores. Each local Delphic council from participating countries selected its set of judges for the games, according to Divina “Debb” Bautista, the world council’s three-term president.

University of the Philippines Baguio art professor Liza Ann Ilagan, Hafalla and Bautista had to pinch-hit as judges for the music, film, and visual arts category to replace member jurists who withdrew.

No regrets

The artists did not regret helping produce the games. After all, almost all of the Filipinos who joined the Sept. 1 IDC Olympics had a hand in its inception.

Bautista said she helped found the movement in 1994, along with 62 diplomats and cultural workers of Argentina, Austria, China, Cyprus, Ecuador, France, Germany, Greece, Libya, Mexico, Nigeria, Poland, Russia, the United States, Slovakia and Lithuania.

The movement was the brainchild of J. Christian Kersch, a German finance adviser and graphic artist.

The IDC website said Kersch “pursued the idea of reviving the Delphic Games of the Modern Era (since 1989) to complement the Olympic Games and to serve as a forum for the culture of the intellect.”

Bautista said Kersch recruited her in 1989. In 1994, they installed a world guiding council for the movement.

Feuding members

IDC’s first high-profile venture was the first Delphic Games of 2000 in Moscow. But the pioneering games sparked a feud that led to the Malaysian crisis two weeks ago, Bautista said.

An IDC board member, who helped produce the games in Moscow, has been in a legal tussle with the IDC for the rights to produce future Delphic Games.

The IDC official has been blamed for a series of letters advising state leaders to veer away from the IDC-sponsored games, and may have been responsible for Malaysia’s withdrawal, Bautista said.

The IDC had taken legal action against the IDC member, but not before Sarawak had canceled most of the games’ activities.

“[However], like the Philippine delegation, many of the countries involved were already en route by plane to Malaysia and [200 of the expected 600 world artists] could not turn back. So what were we to do? We decided to buckle down to work and take over,” Bautista said.

She added: “We wanted the world’s artists to shine, to make their presence felt, and we wanted [the games] to be their showcase, so [the Philippine delegation] agreed to work and rebuild the games.

“Japan and China canceled their delegations, but we had 23 countries flying in. So we talked with them and we agreed to [proceed]. South Africa, which brought in the largest delegation, volunteered to handle administrative and technical work. The United States delegation offered to share the bills.”

Diplomacy

But Bautista said the Filipinos ended up with the more difficult chore—diplomacy.

“Artists need to be pampered sometimes, but no [other nationality] was willing to accept this burden, so it became [the Philippines’] job,” she said.

Their first job was to placate furious delegates whose hotel bookings were never arranged, she said, crediting IDC Philippine secretary Ruth Halili for doing the dirty work.

Hafalla said he and several foreign artists took time out from framing competing artworks to fashioning the Golden Delphic trophies, which were handed out on Sept. 7.

Bautista said they arrived to discover that the Sarawak team had not prepared the prizes.

“An Indian artist, who wanted a special work room for his exhibit, got our goat. He was making so many demands. So I prevailed upon [Narda Capuyan] to relocate her indigenous fabric display from her own room to a more public venue. The Indian artist was surprised and delighted. Soon, most of them appreciated the Filipino delegation,” Bautista said.

Days later, Capuyan got a standing ovation at a Sarawak fashion show, which displayed the world’s ecological fiber creations.
sandrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #69
Lili
The Original is The Best

^ I wish there were pictures of the winners' entries.

I'm hoping that despite their good intentions, they don't get involved in that IDC legal tussle for pushing through with the games.
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #70
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 246

Hey Lili!

Did you watch the season finale of So You Think You Can Dance? Nick won the competition (I knew he would) and second place belonged to Melody; I was happy with the results. Nick and Melody are close buds anyway and they both danced really well and are versatile in every dance style that got thrown on them, so choosing between the two is really hard. Third place went to Jamile and the fourth place to Ashle.

Auditions for season two are already in the making! So....you think you can dance?
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #71
bagel

^ Are you trying to get Lili to audition?

Old October 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #72
paulkrps
BANNED

hey guys, please read this:

http://www.goodnewsphilippines.com/b...cle_0055.shtml
paulkrps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #73
paulkrps
BANNED

the above link is about bienvenido bones banez, he's currently based in nyc.

here's a sample of his work on exhibit at williamsburg art & historical centre.

mywarlockdream666
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #74
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybaha
^ Are you trying to get Lili to audition?
Nothing wrong in trying, she might take the bait.
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #75
Lili
The Original is The Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiretoce
Hey Lili!

Did you watch the season finale of So You Think You Can Dance? Nick won the competition (I knew he would) and second place belonged to Melody; I was happy with the results. Nick and Melody are close buds anyway and they both danced really well and are versatile in every dance style that got thrown on them, so choosing between the two is really hard. Third place went to Jamile and the fourth place to Ashle.

Auditions for season two are already in the making! So....you think you can dance?
Hey Kimber,

I was just about to holler at ya about the So You Think You Can Dance finale. I was so excited watching it. I had a grand time seeing all of the prior contestants together and having the finalists dance their favorite numbers. But for me the most awesome performance was the Groovarama hip hop number. I was so stoked. During my younger years, perhaps I would have joined, although I got no formal training. Makikigulo lang.
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #76
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Yeah! Groovarama was off the hook! Some of their tricks were gravity-defying!
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:49 AM   #77
bagel

NEO-ANGONO ARTISTS COLLECTIVE

2nd NEO-ANGONO PUBLIC ART FESTIVAL

Proponent: Neo-Angono Artists Collective Inc.

Target Beneficiary: People of Angono, Rizal and the National Art Community

Number of participating artists: Around 80 Angono and Manila-based artists

Project/Festival Duration: November 20-22, 2005 (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday)

Short profile of NEO-ANGONO ARTISTS COLLECTIVE

Established in November 2004, NEO-ANGONO ARTISTS COLLECTIVE is both a movement and organization founded by visual artists, writers and poets, musicians, theater people and cultural workers.
NEO-ANGONO has participated in art festivals such as the 2nd Tupada International Action Art Event held in Febuary 2005, the UGNAYAN 2005 (4th Philippine International Performance Art Festival) held last September, and art forum initiated by people behind Mag:net gallery. Under its educational program, the group has given free workshop and seminar on art (painting, sculpture, glass etching and silkscreen printing), poetry, drama and theater, and music to scouters from all over the country in the 2004 National Jamboree held in Mt. Makiling Los Banos, Laguna as well as to more than 600 college students of University of Rizal System in Pililla and Morong in Rizal province.

Mission

As an organization, NEO-ANGONO is non-profit, artist-centered, committed to experimentation, recognizes the need to contribute to art research and education, and welcomes support and advice from colleagues and critics.
We are committed to bring art close to the public, particularly to marginalized people living in disadvantaged communities.
We also believe that artists can make a difference in society by teaching people how to be creative, which in turn, aids him/her to transform our world and environment into a better place to live.
This creativity likewise is a valuable tool in life not only for assuring one's survival but also for achieving his/her fullest potential as a productive human being.

Vision

As a movement, NEO-ANGONO strives to render modernist visual and artistic language responsive to the times by articulating and invigorating contemporary Angono experience, sensibility and consciousness. It is also a movement because it observes the intricate engagement and interplay of various creative art forms (the seven disciplines of Art) wedded in the local community and people.

2nd NEO-ANGONO PUBLIC ART FESTIVAL

Initiated independently by young Angono artists, the 2nd Public Art Festival is NEO-ANGONO's niche in the local and national art scene. It is held every November 20-22 alongside the atmosphere and celebration of the town fiesta, which is held on November 23.
The public art festival presents new possibility and relationship through programs that are not restricted by specific type or genre. It highlights the richness and diversity of Angono's contemporary art through public art presentation and events situated in satellite areas/venues that include site-specific installations, public art performances, in-transit or moving graphic/poetry works, studio exhibitions, music-poetry fusion, and art lectures and symposium.
The public art is also a celebration in exploring the possibilities of art and in infusing new life and blood into Angono art scene by welcoming and distilling ideas from Manila and local artists.

Objectives

NEO-ANGONO's Public Art Festival hopes to create new perception, which is the essential spirit of art.
By inspiring young artists to explore the limits of art, the Public Art Festival brings art closer to the people by dilluting or constricting the space between the artwork/performer and audience/reader.
The Public Art Festival also hopes to free the artists' either irrepressible genius or imaginative eccentricities as well as intertwine the intellect with emotion and soul.

Strategy

"Ampunan" or adoption will play a key role in the three-day art festival.
Homegrown and local artists of Angono will serve as host and adopt the invited artists and performers from Manila. They will be responsible for ensuring the invited artists' food and lodging, security, essential art materials and equipment to be used, transportation allowance and, if the festival budget allows it, modest honorarium.

Tentative and Partial List/Schedule of Art Performances and Activities

Sunday, November 20

AM

In-transit and
Site-Specific Installation

TODA (Tricycle and Operators and Drivers' Association) POETRY PROJECT by Linangan sa Imahe Retorika at Anyo (LIRA), KM64, Abet Umil, Tata Raul Funilas, Richard Gappi, Philip Anorico

Wire Rommel Tuazon's "Relocating Immortality" at the Municipal Cemetery

Chitoy Zapata's "Higante" installation at the School Overpass

Brian Sergio's Art Installation

Michael de Guzman's sign intervention of ANGONO PUBLIC MARKET building as ANGONO PUBLIC ART

Marte Miranda's "Windmill Installation" on the riverbank of Angono River

Kaktus' "Sunset Cinema" installation art on Laguna Lak

"Komiks Distribution" of the life and art of Angono's two great artists during the Spanish period - Tandang Juancho Senson and Tandang Pedro Piñon - by Owen Saguinsin, Marlon "Nunong" Olinares and Philip Anorico
PM

6:00-7:00

Film showing of Cultural Center of the Philippines' "Botong" at Carlos "Botong" Francisco's studio on Doña Aurora St., Brgy. Poblacion Itaas

Film Showing of Rembrandt Vocalan's short film titled "Botong"

7:00-8:00

"ENCOUNTER TERROR," a one-minute video performance by New World Disorder shown on TV stores of sidewalk vendors near the town's "Perya"

Showing of short films by Sig Sanchez, Mes de Guzman and other short filmmakers also on TV of sidewalk vendors

Monday, 21 November

AM

On-going In-transit and

TODA (Tricycle and Operators and Drivers' Association) POETRY PROJECT by Linangan sa Imahe Retorika at Anyo (LIRA), KM64, Tata Raul Funilas, Richard Gappi, Philip Anorico

Michael de Guzman's sign intervention of ANGONO PUBLIC MARKET building as ANGONO PUBLIC ART

Kaktus' "Sunset Cinema" installation art on Laguna Lake

"Komiks Distribution" of the life and art of Angono's two great artists during the Spanish period - Tandang Juancho Senson and Tandang Pedro Piñon - by Owen Saguinsin, Marlon "Nunong" Olinares and Philip Anorico

PM

1:00-3:00

Artists' Talk by Prof. Alice Guillermo, Jose Tence Ruiz and Owen Saguinsin

4:00-5:00

Street play by Sinagbayan

7:00-9:00

Viewing of SINEKALYE's short film

9:00

Banana Hemp Republic's Open Microphone and Performances (featuring Ronnie Lazaro, Vim Nadera, Jevijoe Vitug, Johnny Manahan Friends Forever, KM 64, LIRA, Bandoleros, Abet Umil, Richard Gappi, Tata Raul Funilas, Philip Anorico and other poets and musicians)

Tuesday, 22 November

AM

On-going In-transit and

TODA (Tricycle and Operators and Drivers' Association) POETRY PROJECT by Linangan sa Imahe Retorika at Anyo (LIRA), KM64, Tata Raul Funilas, Richard Gappi, Philip Anorico

Kaktus' "Sunset Cinema" installation art on Laguna Lake

Viewing of Japanese and other foreign films

PM

4:00-5:00

Streetplay by Ian Lomongo's theater students

7:00-8:30

Ferris Wheel Art Performance by New World Disorder

8:30-9:00

Elemento's sound art and performance at the riverbank of Angono River

9:00-9:30

Burning of UGAT-LAHI's effigy on Angono Hi-way and poetry and performance of Abet Umil, KM64, and Bandoleros

9:30-onwards

Closing Party that features poetry reading, music and band performances Dayuhan, Volume Control, Milagros Dance Hall, Edru Abraham, Brownbeat All Stars, Neighbors (with Side Project Band) and other band performers

HAPPY FIESTA! VIVA SAN CLEMENTE! (NEO-ANGONO joins in the town parade and "Pagoda" (fluvial parade)

Old October 16th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #78
Lili
The Original is The Best

^ Wow, what a great project and activity by the Neo Angono artists. Hopefully, they will be able to present an exhibit in international fora in the future. Perhaps, do also an auction of some artwork as a fundraising activity to finance some of these activities. Angono is really getting to be the haven of Luzon artists. I remember buying two watercolors from an Angono artist named Jovito when I visited years ago.
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #79
paulkrps
BANNED

my works:

dayalogo (dialogue)

hinaut (hope)

samok (noisy)

Last edited by paulkrps; October 17th, 2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #80
Lili
The Original is The Best

Nice! The first one Paul, is that a self-portrait? Even the designs in your portfolio are great. I'm glad to be in the midst of talented and artistic people.