daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #81
zivan56

Likes (Received): 2

In Vancouver, the 99-Bline stop at Commercial drive is also "honour fare" of some sorts, as the people watching the doors leave before noon (so a bunch of people get on for free from 11am~5pm when the drivers open all the doors at this stop)
zivan56 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #82
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

San Jose buses are checked, but trams are an honor system with random fare checks if there happens to be a guy onboard. Same with the commuter rail system. Bart(the metro) does have ticket gates though
Old April 2nd, 2006, 01:00 AM   #83
chico_pastor
A vida em movimento!MP :)

Likes (Received): 0

Porto's metro has a honour fare system.
We don't have any barriers at the station, and it's based on a RFID system."Andante" cards must be validated on the machines located at the stations. Sometimes there are inspections on-board the trains.I think that it's usual to find an inspecting team on Porto's metro.I have already found one team at 5 pm, when I was going home from S.Joao day. (on S.Joao, Porto's metro runs around the clock (24 hours)). The "Andante" system is also used at "Funicular dos Guindais" (with barriers) and at some buses and regional trains.

This is the validating machine: ((c) Metro do Porto))

Last edited by chico_pastor; April 2nd, 2006 at 03:00 PM.
chico_pastor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 04:11 AM   #84
dchengg
davidchengg

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico_pastor
Porto's metro has a honour fare system.
We don't have any barriers at the station, and it's based on a RFID system."Andante" acrds must be validated on the machines located at the stations. Sometimes there are inspections on-board the trains.I think that it's usual to find an inspecting team on Porto's metro.I have alredy found one tem at 5 pm, when I eas going home from S.Joao day. (on S.Joao, Porto's metro runs around the clock (24 hours)). The "Andante" system is also used at "Funicular dos Guindais" (with barriers) and at some buses and regional trains.

This is the validating machine: ((c) Metro do Porto))

Thats what type of validating machine i want! its like the octopus system
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:25 AM   #85
furrycanuck

Likes (Received): 15

Calgary's C-Train is honour system as per the Sky Train in Vancouver. I have not had my fare inspected in more than a year. Buses are not honour system.
furrycanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #86
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

trains in Perth Austie are complete honour system. Never ever got checked, not once.

same thing in Vancover, I'm starting to think that the Skytrain marshals doesn't really exist.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:41 AM   #87
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

I remember in Vancouver when I was a broke ass student and caught the skytrain to school I calculated the fine and the odds of getting caught and realized that I was better off not to buy tickets and just to pay the fines when I got them. Ended up paying $47 in fines about once every four months as opposed to $69 for a one zone pass every month. Now I do buy tickets when I catch the system, plus they have jacked up the fines to $150 and have alot more people checking the fares. I know that when I do catch the system I usualy get checked more often than not.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:18 AM   #88
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Boston always checks tickets. Underground stations have gates, and above ground stops require you to pay on entrance (or swipe the monthly pass), so only the front door of the train opens to allow people in and out.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:06 AM   #89
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Both the Los Angeles subway and Houston light rail use the honour system. Those are the only ones I have seen so far.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:23 AM   #90
CompleteSentence
Map Geek

Likes (Received): 0

San Francisco's MUNI system is a hybrid.

The buses still use the time-tested farebox, where the fare is paid at the door when you get on (or you flash your monthly pass, as most City residents seem to have). The drivers have been cracking down on the chronic problem of people sneaking in the rear doors -- I remember one time a guy snuck on, and the driver yelled out, so the whole bus but especially he could hear, "hey buster, we're not moving 'til you come up and pay the fare!" He snuck back out.

The light rail system is a bit different. In the underground Metro stations underneath Market Street, there are fare gates that prevent ingress, but out on the above-ground parts of the lines (MUNI Metro is kind of like a tree, with the trunk in a subway and the branches on the surface), it is Proof-of-Payment as they call it, or the honor system. There are a few actual stations have ticket machines, but they are the exception, usually you just get on at middle-of-the-street platforms and pay at the farebox.

BART, the regional heavy-rail system (which is in subway under most of the City) uses a complicated system which allows for a graduated fare scale. You buy a ticket for any amount up to $20 or something; when you enter the station, you run it through the machine, and whereever you exit the system, it deducts the apropriate amount. This means that no one gets on without paying the minimum fare, and you can travel anywhere on the system unimpeded, so long as you don't leave the fare area. It's kinda cool to ride the entire BART system for the cost of a one-stop ticket.
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #91
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

zagreb, croatia has got an honour fare system. you get your ticket punched in the tram by the machine and randomly a conducter may ask for your ticket or kick you at the next tram station.
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #92
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6393

^You will be kicked off the train/bus/metro in Copenhagen too ( at the next station )... with a 600DKK ( $100 ) fine!
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #93
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18218

Buses to operate like SkyTrain
15 June 2007
Vancouver Sun

GREATER VANCOUVER - Greater Vancouver buses will soon operate more like SkyTrains, with passengers required to carry proof of payment and the 99 B-Line on Broadway allowing boarding through all bus doors.

Beginning June 25, all buses and community shuttles will be clearly marked "fare paid zones" and anyone unable to prove they've paid may be removed by transit police or security and fined $173. The change means bus riders will need to hold onto their tickets even if they don't plan to transfer buses.

A big reason for the changes is to reduce conflicts between bus drivers and passengers who refuse to pay their fares, said TransLink media relations officer Drew Snider.

Snider said although drivers will continue to check passes and receive fare payments, if a dispute arises with a passenger about the fare, the driver will no longer be required to deal with it. Instead, he or she will have the option of calling transit police or security.

Jim Houlahan, vice-president of the bus drivers' union, said the initiative will make drivers safer. Houlahan said 220 physical assaults and serious verbal attacks were reported by drivers last year, a high percentage of them when drivers tried to collect fares.

The change on the 99 B-Line is a summer-long trial to see if three-door loading is more efficient and might reduce the need to buy more of the big articulated buses. The busy route runs from the Broadway SkyTrain station to the University of B.C. Three-door boarding was already allowed at the two starting points of the 99 B-Line.

Those who need to buy or validate tickets will still need to board at the front door of the articulated buses, but others will be able to pile on at the middle and rear entrances. Snider said he does not think the new boarding policy will increase fare evasion, because "people will think twice about it because of the size of the fine."

Sgt. Willie Merenick, of the Greater Vancouver Transit Authority police, said ticket enforcement on the 99 B-Line will be similar to that seen now on SkyTrains, with regular spot checks of tickets.

TransLink's Ken Hardie couldn't say if spot checks would happen regularly on other bus routes, but cautioned, "there can be an inspection at any place at any time."

Critics say the new policies don't address the root of the city's transit problems: high fares and a shortage of buses.

Yuli Chan, an organizer with the Vancouver Bus Riders Union, said three-door boarding will not help the problem of long waits and overcrowding on buses. Chan also said she thinks a fare-paid zone could exacerbate conflict between drivers and those who can't afford to pay, and said it's a part of the "criminalization that's [continuing] of bus riders."

"If they really want to reduce the conflict and they really want to make sure people are paying the fares, they should lower it instead of putting all this funding towards hiring and training more transit police and increasing cameras and surveillance," Chan said.

Hardie said TransLink is recruiting 40 transit police officers to add to the 110 current officers who focus mainly on SkyTrain.

Snider defended the need to issue large fines to people caught without a ticket, saying police have apprehended many wanted criminals through routine ticket checks on SkyTrain.

TransLink has proposed a 25-cent fare increase in 2008, bringing the cost of riding a bus to $2.50 for one-zone and $3.50 for two-zone.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #94
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Dallas has an honor system. You'll usually get asked once a day unlike Houston where I was never asked.
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:07 AM   #95
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Denver light rail is another US system that uses the honor system. I think most light rail and trolley systems go with the honor system, while the heavy rail metros have the ticket gates.
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:22 AM   #96
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

In South East Queensland, we just use paper tickets at the moment, so on the buses, the bus drivers won't let you through unless you have a valid ticket. On the trains however, there is an honour system, with inspectors coming on every now and then. However, on my line, the Gold Coast/Robina Line, you will NEVER see ticket inspectors anywhere near peak hour. They won't go on those trains because they tend to get abused about how packed the trains are. lol. Even in off-peak times, it's rare to find ticket inspectors on the Gold Coast line. I've only been asked twice, maybe three times. Although sometimes the security on the late-night trains will check tickets.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:37 PM   #97
phubben
Is it a bee?

Likes (Received): 1

In Lille, FR :
Transpole Subway/LRT/Bus/Coach : Only one fare zone within the Greater Lille limits, €1,25 (US$1,75), no gates, constables. Gates are projected in the subway stations though.
TER Regional/suburban rail : messy fare system, no gates.
phubben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM   #98
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Your City or Region's Public Transport Tickets

The idea for this thread came from one that is in the Railways section of the forum.

Post photographs and a little information about the different tickets or passes available for use on public transport in your area. Try to keep the photographs smaller so that the page will load properly.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM   #99
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn

Likes (Received): 5

Milwaukee County Transit System:

The fare system in Milwaukee has not changed significantly since the early 1900's. There are weekly passes, books of tickets and cash fares. Electronic fares and passes have yet to catch on here. What we do have is expensive, though.
milwaukee-kÝbenhavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #100
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

Ticket of Metro-Dan company wich operates bus service in Beer Sheva, Israel.
it coast 28.80 Shekels and have 10 perforatings.

Ticket of Nativey Express company. coast 37 Shekels with 15 perforatings. one ride coast 3.70 Shekels (wich is cheap)

also there are Month Free pass - Nativey Express

Nazereth Unbs

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote