daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #101
tomo90

Likes (Received): 189

Manchester official boundary = 498,000
Manchester unofficial boundary = 2 million

Liverpool official boundary = 445,000
Liverpool unofficial boundary = 1.15 million
tomo90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 9th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #102
myunus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo90 View Post
Manchester official boundary = 498,000
Manchester unofficial boundary = 2 million

Liverpool official boundary = 445,000
Liverpool unofficial boundary = 1.15 million
Manchester urban area 2,240,230
Manchester city pop 458,100
Liverpool city pop 436,100
Liverpool urban area 816,000

Greater Manchester pop 2,553,800
Liverpool/Merseyside pop 1,353,600
myunus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #103
tomo90

Coolio
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #104
aek-94

Likes (Received): 3

What does the population of Liverpool and Manchester have to do with the waterfront?
aek-94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #105
tomo90

God knows, I was bored so I commented.
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #106
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aek-94 View Post
What does the population of Liverpool and Manchester have to do with the waterfront?
He/she/it has done the same in one of Manchesters photo threads, starting rambling on about Preston. All very odd.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #107
wickets
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
He/she/it has done the same in one of Manchesters photo threads, starting rambling on about Preston. All very odd.

Do you Northerners dont know how to treat a Lady ?

Population of Lancashire Towns

Blackpool 142,000
Blackburn 140,000
Preston 130,000
Burnley 75,000

These Dingles up North dont know how to treat a lady move down South we are too smart for them.
wickets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #108
wickets
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura4Matalan View Post
What's this Dingle from Preston putting all this Graffitis about Preston on
Liverpool Waterfont ? Promote your Town on your own Preston's threads,
Dont encroach on somebody else's Threads.
wickets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #109
Karl1587
~~UrbanAddiction~~

Likes (Received): 1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by myunus View Post
Greater Manchester population 2,240,23036,

Largest cities in England

London 7,172,091
Birmingham 970,892
Manchester 458,100
Liverpool 436,00
Erm.. what about Leeds??? Population of over 700,000
Karl1587 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #110
cambrian

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl1587 View Post
Erm.. what about Leeds??? Population of over 700,000
Dont expect a reply, they were banned over a year ago !
cambrian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #111
kopboy

reply re:population

Manchester's population is exaggerated beyond belief! the city's population proper is around 440.000. As for Greater Manchester, places like Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Wigan, Rochdale, Stockport etc. have nothing to do with Manchester except for the fact that they're nearby. They're all towns in their own right and should have their proper identities i.e being part of Lancashire and cheshire respectively. Manchester has always tried to act much bigger than it actually is and it's time to drop this fictional 'Greater Manchester' term. Liverpool's population on the other hand is much bigger than people think. Knowsley and the majority Sefton are very much part of the city of Liverpool. Sefton is basically north Liverpool and Knowsley is east Liverpool. So when the proper boundries are included, Liverpool's population is around 850.000 making it the the 3rd largest city in the UK. If you were to include Wirral, which many people believe is very much part of Liverpool then you have a population of around 1.2million people. Liverpool City Region is also much bigger than people think. there's around 2million people in Liverpool City Region. In reality Liverpool is much bigger than Manchester. No matter what anyone says, THIS IS A FACT. Sorry guys! I know this has nothing to do with this thread but it really pisses me off how when I hear people talking nonsense about how big Manchester is and trying to belittle Liverpool. Liverpool is the largest city in the north of England and that's a fact!
kopboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #112
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Interesting. I'm surprised no one has raised that topic before.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #113
Damon

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Interesting. I'm surprised no one has raised that topic before.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #114
tomo90

Im just waiting for a Manc poster to see kopboys post lol.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #115
VDB

Likes (Received): 2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopboy View Post
Manchester's population is exaggerated beyond belief! the city's population proper is around 440.000. As for Greater Manchester, places like Bolton, Bury, Oldham, Wigan, Rochdale, Stockport etc. have nothing to do with Manchester except for the fact that they're nearby. They're all towns in their own right and should have their proper identities i.e being part of Lancashire and cheshire respectively. Manchester has always tried to act much bigger than it actually is and it's time to drop this fictional 'Greater Manchester' term. Liverpool's population on the other hand is much bigger than people think. Knowsley and the majority Sefton are very much part of the city of Liverpool. Sefton is basically north Liverpool and Knowsley is east Liverpool. So when the proper boundries are included, Liverpool's population is around 850.000 making it the the 3rd largest city in the UK. If you were to include Wirral, which many people believe is very much part of Liverpool then you have a population of around 1.2million people. Liverpool City Region is also much bigger than people think. there's around 2million people in Liverpool City Region. In reality Liverpool is much bigger than Manchester. No matter what anyone says, THIS IS A FACT. Sorry guys! I know this has nothing to do with this thread but it really pisses me off how when I hear people talking nonsense about how big Manchester is and trying to belittle Liverpool. Liverpool is the largest city in the north of England and that's a fact!
Must....fight.... temptation!
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #116
golden66

Likes (Received): 83

Kopboy, Manchester's poulation is 503,000 compared to Liverpool's 466,000. I do agree though that Liverpool's boundaries have been unnecessarily restricted by the powers that be and should at least include South Sefton and Knowsley.

Clearly Manchester is an airport town with more reach than the city warrants. It's recent rise in population certainly testifies to that. It benefits hugely by the branding, ownership and closeness to the airport and has a local advantage compared to say Bolton,Wigan,Blackburn and even Liverpool.

This advantage will be short lived as the HS2 link to its airport will turn Manchester into a contracting London dormitory town as it serves London's need to increase its air capacity and its pull economy and also with Manchester playing second fiddle to Liverpool in the Atlantic Gateway Development.

Going back to the thread, the one thing that Manchester would love to have even more than its airport is the Liverpool Waterfront. The development of the Superport,tourism and the Atlantic Gateway will mean that Liverpool will eventually benefit more from Manchester airport than Manchester. It may well have to be rebranded the London and Liverpool International Airport. The indications are that Liverpool will become a two airport city.
golden66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #117
Rollingstone Gather

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden66 View Post
The development of the Superport,tourism and the Atlantic Gateway will mean that Liverpool will eventually benefit more from Manchester airport than Manchester. It may well have to be rebranded the London and Liverpool International Airport. The indications are that Liverpool will become a two airport city.
Liverpool East
“If the decision is going to be made by the facts, then everyone’s facts, as long as they are relevant, are equal. If the decision is going to be made on the basis of people’s opinions, then mine count for a lot more". James Barksdale

Is this the right room for an argument?....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
Rollingstone Gather no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #118
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 61

Yes, London Liverpool East Paul McCartney Airport.

This is the most sensible, realistic and sane set of posts I've seen on this forum in a long time.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #119
design_man

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopboy View Post
Welcome Kopboy.

This sort of discussion has been had here before.

The size of cities is contested, because there is no hard-and-fast definition of what a city is. Some people like to count the population of the local authority area that bears the city name, eg City of Liverpool, City of Leeds, but as you correctly observe, that is misleading. Others prefer to look at the urban region, conurbation, city region...and the problem with all of this is that there is no rigid geography.

Generally, it's accepted that Manchester and Leeds are the largest urban / city regions in the North - as, like the Birmingham/Coventry and Glasgow regions, they have a population of somewhere between 2.5m and 3.0m people depending on where the boundaries are drawn. People can argue until the cows come home on the boundaries (and yes, Leeds does contain an awful lot of green space), but that is where most geographers and urbanists would put them.

Liverpool comes next in terms of size, but in Liverpool's case the geography is more complicated and so harder to reach agreement on. No-one worth listening to would claim it has less than around 1.7m, and few claim it has more than 2.2m. For what it's worth, companies that invest on the basis of city catchment areas tend to categorise Liverpool as having a population of around or somewhat over 2m, for example that is the type of data a retailer will consider when considering whether to open a branch in Liverpool One, or to place an advert on local radio in Liverpool). Personally I'd share your view that Liverpool has about 2m people, but that does make it slightly smaller than Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds, whose real size is in the 2.5 - 3m range.

Sheffield and Newcastle are smaller.

If you accept these types of figures, then Liverpool is smaller on any sensible count than Manchester - it's probably about two thirds the size of Manchester (not half as big, as some mistakenly believe).

But numbers of people don't mean that much in reality. There are dozens of far bigger cities in China that most people have never heard of and can't pronounce properly. The difference between a city region of 2m and one of 3m might seem a lot, but in reality it doesn't make much difference.

Far more important than number of people is their standard of living and quality of life, as that is what makes it a good thing to be a part of a city. For example, if you are born in Mexico City you might one day grow up and say "yay, I live in one of the biggest cities in the world", but your chances of actually growing up healthily and prospering are significantly lower than if you were born in Liverpool or Manchester, which are far far smaller cities than Mexico City. And your chances of living a long time and being wealthy are higher if you live in small cities like Cambridge rather than big cities like Birmingham. So size of population is one measure of the value and importance and significance of a city, but it's not he only one.

So while I don't agree with you that Liverpool is the north's largest city (I think there is a tie between Manchester and Leeds on that), I do think that it is the greatest northern city, and the best one.

Last edited by design_man; November 16th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
design_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #120
VDB

Likes (Received): 2826

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden66 View Post
Kopboy, Manchester's poulation is 503,000 compared to Liverpool's 466,000. I do agree though that Liverpool's boundaries have been unnecessarily restricted by the powers that be and should at least include South Sefton and Knowsley.

Clearly Manchester is an airport town with more reach than the city warrants. It's recent rise in population certainly testifies to that. It benefits hugely by the branding, ownership and closeness to the airport and has a local advantage compared to say Bolton,Wigan,Blackburn and even Liverpool.

This advantage will be short lived as the HS2 link to its airport will turn Manchester into a contracting London dormitory town as it serves London's need to increase its air capacity and its pull economy and also with Manchester playing second fiddle to Liverpool in the Atlantic Gateway Development.

Going back to the thread, the one thing that Manchester would love to have even more than its airport is the Liverpool Waterfront. The development of the Superport,tourism and the Atlantic Gateway will mean that Liverpool will eventually benefit more from Manchester airport than Manchester. It may well have to be rebranded the London and Liverpool International Airport. The indications are that Liverpool will become a two airport city.

Ah the shitbag strikes again.

Golden, half of your points above have been proved wrong time and time again.

High Speed Rail has worked in other countries and has seriously benefitted the cities they connect.

It would be a very different story if Liverpool was connected to HSR, wouldn't it?

What "indications" are there that Liverpool will become a two-airport city? LJL is tiny at the moment, what makes you think you'll need another? In terms of 'major UK airports', Liverpool is seen as the holiday-makers one. The only flights from Liverpool are those to holiday resorts. It's not a business airport, it's not a business city.

Getting really sick of your talking crap now, Golden. You just spout shit and then don't pay attention when people use statistics and fact to prove you wrong. Seriously.

I love Liverpool, I thought it was fab when I visited. But christ, people like you do it a right disfavour and make the whole city seem like "Chip-on-Shoulderville".

Oh and by the way, it's seriously obvious that you have a massive complex with Manchester. The fact that you mention in 2/3rds of your posts and are CONSTANTLY complaining or comparing to it is really disturbing.
VDB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote