daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #2301
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

G3012 Turpan-Khotan Expressway (XUAR)

Kucha 48 Km/ Toqsu 103 Km/ Aqsu 308 Km

Exit to Bugur

Toll Booth with Uyghur and Chinese on it near Korla

Achal Toll Booth

cfredo liked this post
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #2302
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Now those are interesting and exotic sights. I was always wondering how the expressways in Xinjiang look like.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #2303
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

How old is this expressway?
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #2304
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Relatively new between Korla and Kashghar. Last year it was openned
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2305
crimio
Romania

Likes (Received): 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This is the European list as of 01-01-2013

Great job! Do you have some statistics for all continents or only for Europe?
crimio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2306
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
How old is this expressway?
I can see where this question comes from.

Some expressways in Xinjiang have been created while incorporating the existing road into the expressway. Because Xinjiang is largely a flat plateau and roads are wide and straight with few if any towns for long distances, they decided to just build another carriageway next to it. Somewhat similar to the first generation of Spanish autovías.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2307
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:

I can see where this question comes from.

Some expressways in Xinjiang have been created while incorporating the existing road into the expressway. Because Xinjiang is largely a flat plateau and roads are wide and straight with few if any towns for long distances, they decided to just build another carriageway next to it. Somewhat similar to the first generation of Spanish autovías.
Thats what I was thinking too judging from some construction images on Google earth. But what about alternative roads for those who can't use it or are not willing to pay tolls?
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #2308
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Hi guys, can those who have travelled on China's highways say how good are the wayside facilities? I mean the gas stations, motels, eateries, restaurants, ambulance services in case of accidents, rescue services for vehicles which breakdown and so on? Does it vary a lot across provinces? Thanks.
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2309
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder about that as well. I've never seen photos from rest areas.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2310
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
I wonder about that as well. I've never seen photos from rest areas.
I have a few but they don't show much. I'll post em later.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2311
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

In eastern China restareas are large, well facilitated and crowded. I have a couple of photos too but take time to dig out.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2312
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
In eastern China restareas are large, well facilitated and crowded. I have a couple of photos too but take time to dig out.
Please dig them out. It's one thing we haven't seen much of in here.
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #2313
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Please dig them out. It's one thing we haven't seen much of in here.
Yeah its one thing I've been wondering. 20 years of highway building must have spawned a whole roadside industry of eateries, motels, gas stations, garages and ambulance services. I am especially interested in roadside places to eat. I guess such facilities are better on the busy roads. My
Old January 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2314
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

It would also be interesting to learn about the AADT on the Chinese expresways.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #2315
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-20998147

According to this article, levels of PM10/2.5 particles are as high as 400 µg/m³ in Beijing. This is 10 times the European limit. What is the cause of this? Beijing has a lot of traffic, construction, factories and power plants, but I assume the levels are not always this high. Is this a stagnant airmass against the mountains? That could include sources in the Tianjin area (20+ million people).
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #2316
changluo

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:

According to this article, levels of PM10/2.5 particles are as high as 400 µg/m³ in Beijing. This is 10 times the European limit. What is the cause of this? Beijing has a lot of traffic, construction, factories and power plants, but I assume the levels are not always this high. Is this a stagnant airmass against the mountains? That could include sources in the Tianjin area (20+ million people).
In northern China most buildings in cities have central heating relying on hot water that comes from big power plants which mostly use coal. This produces the major part of PM I think. When the weather is less windy, PM pollution gets more serious. In spring or autumn there might be sand storm coming from Gobi desert, that's another horrible story about this city.
changluo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2317
changluo

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
Yeah its one thing I've been wondering. 20 years of highway building must have spawned a whole roadside industry of eateries, motels, gas stations, garages and ambulance services. I am especially interested in roadside places to eat. I guess such facilities are better on the busy roads. My
Usually you would expect more service places along chinese motorways than those in france--especially in eastern china. a motor way service usually at least supplies fuel, food (fast food and/or restaurant) and hot water(not like westerners chinese like drinking water hot). many have shops, some have motel and garage. I haven't seen (or I haven't noticed maybe) any ambulance or rescue service in the service stations. i think such service usually is provided by local towns/cities nearby.

In western china services are fewer but food and fuel wouldn't be an issue normally.

one thing sometimes is very annoying for diesel vehicle owners: china is suffering in diesel shortage (roughly each year the diesel consumption is more than twice of petrol in this nation), sometimes it gets very bad and you can see very very long queues outside gas stations.

Last edited by changluo; January 13th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.
changluo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #2318
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:

This was escalated numerous times. Concentration of PM2.5 particles varies from day to day (or even time of day) and from location to location. We only get to hear of it when it reaches extremely high levels. There is a website that publishes the readings in Beijing: http://www.bjmemc.com.cn/

Another website with some charts: http://www.aqicn.info/?city=Beijing/...%A6%86&lang=cn

Last edited by Pansori; January 14th, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #2319
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by changluo View Post
Usually you would expect more service places along chinese motorways than those in france--especially in eastern china. a motor way service usually at least supplies fuel, food (fast food and/or restaurant) and hot water(not like westerners chinese like drinking water hot). many have shops, some have motel and garage. I haven't seen (or I haven't noticed maybe) any ambulance or rescue service in the service stations. i think such service usually is provided by local towns/cities nearby.

In western china services are fewer but food and fuel wouldn't be an issue normally.

one thing sometimes is very annoying for diesel vehicle owners: china is suffering in diesel shortage (roughly each year the diesel consumption is more than twice of petrol in this nation), sometimes it gets very bad and you can see very very long queues outside gas stations.
A good sum-up. unfortunately I only found one picture of rest area I took in 2012 near Zhoushan, Zhejiang Province. The other rest areas in the east may be bigger but mostly in the same style.

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #2320
Cosmicbliss

But this is an outside pic. It doesn't show anything inside, the hygiene, the quality of tables and chairs, allied facilities, shops or even food available or the cleanliness of toilets. Its only people standing. BTW, has the 'motel' concept popular in the US taken off along China's highways?