daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2321
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-20998147

According to this article, levels of PM10/2.5 particles are as high as 400 µg/m³ in Beijing. This is 10 times the European limit. What is the cause of this? Beijing has a lot of traffic, construction, factories and power plants, but I assume the levels are not always this high. Is this a stagnant airmass against the mountains? That could include sources in the Tianjin area (20+ million people).

The common cause is coal burning as a heating source.

Changchun, Jinan, Zhengzhou, Chengdu, Xi'an and Urumqi are just as bad ( see http://www.aqicn.info/?map ).

Interestingly, Tianjin and Chongqing's readings are similar to Hong Kong.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #2322
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

unfortunately i haven't developed much interest on rest areas before, i'll take some pics when i have a chance. yes there are many chain motels providing clean room and internet with cheap prices. i like to book them on ctrip.com or elong.com for my driving trips.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #2323
syst3m

Likes (Received): 214

As far as I can remember there was no-cars-allowed restrictions for the Olympics period in 2008 so the heavy smog over Beijing can clear out. And yes ... the main reason for the dust over-dosages in the atmosphere is because china's economy is very dependent on coal as an energy resource...
syst3m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2324
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3m View Post
As far as I can remember there was no-cars-allowed restrictions for the Olympics period in 2008 so the heavy smog over Beijing can clear out. And yes ... the main reason for the dust over-dosages in the atmosphere is because china's economy is very dependent on coal as an energy resource...

Pipeline plans could also damp imports: a big Chinese-funded gas pipeline between Burma and China is due to be completed in 2013; the pipeline from Turkmenistan is set to expand; and Beijing and Moscow are locked in negotiations over a new Russia-China gas pipeline as well.

- By Leslie Hook, ft.com, December 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West%E2...t_Gas_Pipeline
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #2325
Nyuszi
#1 Bunny

Likes (Received): 19

edit

Last edited by Nyuszi; January 14th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Nyuszi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #2326
big-dog

There are over 2500km expressways opened in December 2012. Here're some new expressway pictures.

12.19 Opening of Zigong section of Chengdu-Zigong-Luzhu-Chishui expressway 成自泸赤高速公路自贡段, Sichuan Province
BOT project, 54km

12.20 Opening of Jiangdu-Liuhe expressway 江六高速, Jiangsu Province
76.1km, 6.819 bln yuan

--china-highway.com
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2327
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Is the first one this one?
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2328
big-dog

Yes it should be part of S4 shown on the left board.
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2329
wildthing121675

Likes (Received): 5

It amazes me that China has grown as it has and the highways in this thread impress me. I am just in sheer, utter awe over these roads. BTW, I just joined so I can comment on the pics and participate here amongst other fans of roadways from around the world!

China really has built itself up from the ground in a way that kind of scares me. I mean- even the US Interstates didn't go up this fast! WOW.

wildthing
wildthing121675 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2330
NFZANMNIM

Quote:
No english or any minority language in the middle sign. akward...
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #2331
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

When looking at especially China always convert to per capita numbers when comparing totals. There is lots to be impressed about but when you look at say 2,500km of motorways being built that is around the same as 19km being built in Czech republic as a example. (1/130th the population).

So its actually right around the mark that you would expect a developing country to be (could be higher actually although the risks of major system failures would increase further), only difference being that China holds 20% of the planets population and has a government that controls the flow of information and has reasons to help propagate a positive global perception regarding China even further.

I do love the pics and updates though, people just have to put things in perspective and not fall for the hype train when checking it all out.

Last edited by alesmarv; January 15th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2332
Traceparts

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
When looking at especially China always convert to per capita numbers when comparing totals. There is lots to be impressed about but when you look at say 2,500km of motorways being built that is around the same as 19km being built in Czech republic as a example. (1/130th the population).

So its actually right around the mark that you would expect a developing country to be (could be higher actually although the risks of major system failures would increase further), only difference being that China holds 20% of the planets population and has a government that controls the flow of information and has reasons to help propagate a positive global perception regarding China even further.

I do love the pics and updates though, people just have to put things in perspective and not fall for the hype train when checking it all out.
i think per square meter make more sense than per capita numbers, you build 1 highway to link one town with 1000 people, you still just need to build 1 highway to link a town with 10 000 people not 10 highways
Traceparts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #2333
NFZANMNIM

Depends on the population density too. and the strategic natural and geopolitical situation of the area...
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2334
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

I like the standards seen in this picture: http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/x...836_223223.jpg
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2335
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceparts View Post
i think per square meter make more sense than per capita numbers, you build 1 highway to link one town with 1000 people, you still just need to build 1 highway to link a town with 10 000 people not 10 highways
So how big a highway network does China need? Also, given rising fossil fuel prices, pollution, the shrinking agricultural land area, should China keep on building highways? Isn't it time to look beyond the automobile as a means of transport? And if so, what would take its place?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2336
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
So how big a highway network does China need? Also, given rising fossil fuel prices, pollution, the shrinking agricultural land area, should China keep on building highways? Isn't it time to look beyond the automobile as a means of transport? And if so, what would take its place?
Are highways not suitable for electric or hydrogen powered cars?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2337
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post

I agree fully with you. But it raises the pertinent question, how big a highway network does the PRC need? Should it focus henceforth more on railway expansion? Or rural roads?
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2338
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Are highways not suitable for electric or hydrogen powered cars?
Good point. Honestly, it hadn't struck me. My point was three fold: one , will expansion of highways reduce agricultural land and hence at some point threaten food security, second, how does China ensure that those who cannot afford cars still get benefitted, third, China should ensure that the mistake USA did, to build everything around the automobile is not repeated.

But as an Indian and lover of infrastructure, I have to say: China's infra development, be it rail or road makes me
Old January 15th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2339
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Currently there is globally enough oil for 40 years. Given that average life time of a cars is around 10 years we can all think about how long would it take at current tempo to change into oil fuel independent cars... This puzzle doesn't have nice and simple solution. And thats only about the automobiles, don't forget all the other industries.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #2340
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
The exit is quite different to exits elsewhere in that it only has a very short time period for leaving the motorway. I am not sure how convenient this is in practice, I guess it's OK with good signage, and the signage does appear to be good in the picture. However, I normally prefer when the exit lane separates earlier.

Love the fact that the exit has a hard shoulder by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
There are over 2500km expressways opened in December 2012.

Fantastic.