daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #2341
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
No english or any minority language in the middle sign. akward...
I don't think English/Pinyin is a standart on Chinese expressways.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2342
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Currently there is globally enough oil for 40 years. Given that average life time of a cars is around 10 years we can all think about how long would it take at current tempo to change into oil fuel independent cars... This puzzle doesn't have nice and simple solution. And thats only about the automobiles, don't forget all the other industries.
right Oil shortage is not a new issue and it's not having impact to automobile only. Concerns and argument exist in China as well around road expansion. I guess the justification is based on the fact that oil is an substitutable energy and the hope that in three decades technology will advance to enable cars less dependable on oil supply conveniently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicbliss View Post
it raises the pertinent question, how big a highway network does the PRC need? Should it focus henceforth more on railway expansion? Or rural roads?
Its hard to figure out how big a network is fairely enough for now and for the future. When I was diving around (mostly in Jiangsu, Zhejiang provinces near my home) I always cry for more highways because it's so crowded every day. If population is taken as main factor China may need 3 times of current highway length using US as a benchmark. But China's population is more centralized compared to US and will move more towards that directin in the future. By car sales China sold 19.3 mln vehicles in 2012 (US sold 14.5 mln) and there's no sign to stagnate, whic implies China will need more highways for at least a couple of years. So I GUESS China may need 150k~200k km expressway (more are required in the east and less in the west), IF oil denpendency could be eased.

Rural roads are being expanded as fast as highways. 2012 has seen an increase of 11k km expressways and 194k km of new/renovated rural roads.

Quote:
Good point. Honestly, it hadn't struck me. My point was three fold: one , will expansion of highways reduce agricultural land and hence at some point threaten food security, second, how does China ensure that those who cannot afford cars still get benefitted, third, China should ensure that the mistake USA did, to build everything around the automobile is not repeated.
yes farming land shortage has been an issue for years when cities/infras are expanding.

actually most people have got benefited by highway expansion, even for people who cannot afford cars. i.e. more long distance bus routes were opened, travel becames quicker, cheaper and more convenient since last decade.

Highways have its positive push on economy. Apart from the projects spendings the highway network nourishes tourism, auto manufacturing and services, i.e. Car rental business is booming now in China. I'm renting cars for travel most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
The exit is quite different to exits elsewhere in that it only has a very short time period for leaving the motorway. I am not sure how convenient this is in practice, I guess it's OK with good signage, and the signage does appear to be good in the picture. However, I normally prefer when the exit lane separates earlier.
I kept missing exits for short signate notice. The signage does need to improved when compared to developed countries, i.e. problems of less sign boards, poor language support etc. I guess cost is an issue and management level is still lagged behind.

Last edited by big-dog; January 16th, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2343
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
No english or any minority language in the middle sign. akward...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I don't think English/Pinyin is a standart on Chinese expressways.
They ran out of space on the sign .
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #2344
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
But this is an outside pic. It doesn't show anything inside, the hygiene, the quality of tables and chairs, allied facilities, shops or even food available or the cleanliness of toilets. Its only people standing. BTW, has the 'motel' concept popular in the US taken off along China's highways?
There aren't that many pictures, I guess because few people have a interest in seeing them. I dug up some from the web and they show the inside of various rest areas across the country. Having experienced quite bit of them I'd say they represent the average condition of rest areas you will encounter along a G (national) expressway, with the ones in Yunnan better than average. The restrooms are generally clean, but the toilets are mostly squat down ones, and very few of them have liquid soap or paper towel so you better bring your own.

Regarding motels (or express hotels in Chinese terminology) it has really become popular in the last five years. The difference between the Chinese model and the American one is that Chinese motels are normally located inside towns along the freeway, not close to rest areas or close to exits. They serve as both motels for passing motorists as well as budget travelers visiting the city. Large chains including Motel 168, Jinjiang Inn, Hanting Hotel, Home Inn, 7 Days Inn, and Super 8 Hotel.

Suining, Sichuan

Ziyang, Sichuan

Tonglu, Zhejiang

Guantang, Anhui

Wenji, Anhui

Liaocheng, Shandong

Pingjiang, Hunan

Chuxiong, Yunnan

Yuejin, Yunnan

Dushupu, Yunnan

Niluojiang, Yunnan

Yanhe, Yunnan

Pansori, big-dog, CEVEP liked this post

Last edited by hmmwv; January 16th, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #2345
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Tonglu, Zhejiang

I think I have been stopping at this one in Zhejiang.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #2346
big-dog

12.27 Opening of Qinhuangdao section of Chengde-Qinhuangdao expressway 承秦高速秦皇島段, Hebei Province
99.207km

--china-highway.com

cfredo liked this post
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #2347
big-dog

1.5 Opening of Linglu section of Sanmenxia-Xichuan expressway 三淅高速灵卢段, Henan Province
80.881km, 6.451 bln yuan

--www.china-highway.com

Pansori liked this post
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #2348
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Can you post the numbers (G-?? / S-??) too? Thanks
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #2349
Heludin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
There aren't that many pictures, I guess because few people have a interest in seeing them. I dug up some from the web and they show the inside of various rest areas across the country. Having experienced quite bit of them I'd say they represent the average condition of rest areas you will encounter along a G (national) expressway, with the ones in Yunnan better than average. The restrooms are generally clean, but the toilets are mostly squat down ones, and very few of them have liquid soap or paper towel so you better bring your own.

Regarding motels (or express hotels in Chinese terminology) it has really become popular in the last five years. The difference between the Chinese model and the American one is that Chinese motels are normally located inside towns along the freeway, not close to rest areas or close to exits. They serve as both motels for passing motorists as well as budget travelers visiting the city. Large chains including Motel 168, Jinjiang Inn, Hanting Hotel, Home Inn, 7 Days Inn, and Super 8 Hotel.
Nice copilation thanks for sharing.
Heludin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #2350
Hidden Dragon

Likes (Received): 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
2012 has once again been a very active year in Chinese expressway construction. About 11 000 kilometers of new expressway was opened.

According to my data, China currently has 91 157 kilometers of expressways.

Note that I have filtered my data for concurrencies, something I feel the official statistics have not, which mean some routes are counted twice if two (or even three) numbers run across the same expressway. I also excluded Taiwan for practical reasons.

The largest network is in Henan province, with 5 696 kilometers of expressway. Hebei is second with 4 929 kilometers and Guangdong is third with 4 700 kilometers of expressway.

Most expressway construction in 2012 has been in inland China. In fact, Shanghai, Beijing and Tianjin opened no new expressways. Chongqing opened only a few. Most expressway construction has been in provinces like Hunan, Henan, Jiangxi, Liaoning, Shanxi, Sichuan and Xinjiang.

Most national expressways, indicated with a 1, 2 or 4-digit G-number, have been completed, except in south central and southwestern China. G30, the Kazakhstan to Chinese Sea Expressway, has also been completed this year, enabling the first border-to-border expressway. The focus is now increasingly going to provincial expressway construction. Most provincial expressways are between 50 and 200 kilometers long, occasionally longer.

China has currently the second-largest expressway network in the world, just shy of the American 97 042 kilometer freeway network, however the United States opened only 400 kilometers of new freeway this year, and China will pass the United States in 2013. It will also pass the European motorway network around January 2013 which currently stands at 91 500 kilometers. The Asian continental expressway system became the largest in the world in 2010, largely thanks to the Chinese expressway construction effort.

Thanks a lot for the research. It seems that China exceeded it's planned 87,600 km as seen from earlier big-dog's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
There's no specific info for that but by 2011-2015 China Transportation Planning, the expressway length for 2015 is targeted at 108,000km. So by average, the construction projection would be like this,

YEAR LENGTH
2010 74,000km (current length)
2011 80,800km
2012 87,600km
2013 94,400km
2014 101,200km
2015 108,000km

Hope it can keep this speed
Hidden Dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2351
big-dog

China sets highway toll-free dates during Chinese New Year

Updated: 2013-01-12 04:12
( Xinhua)

Quote:
BEIJING - Chinese drivers rushing home for family reunions during the upcoming Spring Festival will find it a pleasant journey this year as the country's highways will operate toll-free during the holiday.

The Ministry of Transport announced on Friday that the country's highways will be toll-free for passenger cars from 0:00 on February 9 to 24:00 on February 15 when most Chinese will go home for the Spring Festival and return to work.

... ...
Source
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2352
big-dog

City highways of Shanghai

image hosted on flickr

Jump from Concrete to Concrete/纵身一跃,粉身碎骨

image hosted on flickr
by Brady Fang (Shanghai), on Flickr

photo by Wei fang, Courtesy Yellow Fever and Oliver99

NFZANMNIM, crimio, keokiracer liked this post
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:42 AM   #2353
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Incroyable!!!
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2354
wildthing121675

Likes (Received): 5

My God... I can't believe how fast they are building impressive highways! Some of the pics are just incredible. It makes me wish the US would reinvest in it's infrastructure but we all know that will never happen.

Wow.... just wow!

wildthing
wildthing121675 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2355
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Dragon View Post
Thanks a lot for the research. It seems that China exceeded it's planned 87,600 km as seen from earlier big-dog's post:
So as of now the US inter state highway system is bigger or China Highway System?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2356
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing121675 View Post
My God... I can't believe how fast they are building impressive highways! Some of the pics are just incredible. It makes me wish the US would reinvest in it's infrastructure but we all know that will never happen.

Wow.... just wow!

wildthing
I guess India and the USA need to invite China to invest. USA at least I can't say for sure, but seeing these roads, India should definitely take a leaf or 1000 leaves out of China's book. I am curious: who builds expressways in china, how are they financed? Through government or tolls or what? Also, in 1988 china started building, so at that time, who provided the expertise in technology to build these roads? I guess at that time China would not have had too many big road companies, so who provided the know how as to build good roads?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #2357
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
So as of now the US inter state highway system is bigger or China Highway System?
No, US System is still bigger. Probably not for long though.
See this post.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM   #2358
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post

No, US System is still bigger. Probably not for long though.
See this post.
I think he was only referring to the interstate system. In that case China's system is already far bigger and been so for at least a year. However total US expressway network still seems to be marginally larger than that of China.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM   #2359
Cosmicbliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I think he was only referring to the interstate system. In that case China's system is already far bigger and been so for at least a year. However total US expressway network still seems to be marginally larger than that of China.
How have these highways been financed? Who builds them? Through tolls, bonds or government spending? Also, since China in 1988 would I guess not have had many big road development companies, who provided the expertise and know how as to build these roads? Was it foreign companies?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #2360
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
How have these highways been financed?
People give lots of reasons, but the fundamental one is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...hange_reserves