daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:23 AM   #2361
longbow111

Likes (Received): 1

Hi everyone, my first post here. I've been here for a while as a lurker and thank everyone for your informative posts. I really learned a lot.

There's one thing I think many posters here seem confusing very often (at least through my limited observation), i.e., the difference between Guodao(national trunk highway) and Gaosugonglu(Expressway). They're concepts belong to two very different aspects. The term Guodao describes the position or importance of this very highway in the national highway network. Similar terms include Shengdao(provincial) ,Xiandao(county level) and Xiangdao(township level). While the term Gaosugonglu describes the technical standard(building/running) of the highway, together with terms like grade1 highway, grade2 highway, grade3 highway, etc.

So basically, Guodao doesn't have to be Expressway, it can also be grade1 or grade2 highway. In some remote areas, it can even be a grade3 or 4 highway. And Gaosugonglu isn't always Guodao, it can be Shengdao, Xiandao, even Xiangdao(possible but not likely).

Hope these helps to clarify some misunderstandings. By the way, I'm Chinese and from mainland China, glad to see so many discussions about my country's development, thanks!

Hidden Dragon liked this post
longbow111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #2362
Hanno1983

Likes (Received): 2

Are delineators in German design standard in China?
Hanno1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #2363
Cosmicbliss

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
No, US System is still bigger. Probably not for long though.
See this post.
By what time this year will expressway network of China overtake USA? Are there any specific expressways that will see the PRC network overtake USA?
Cosmicbliss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:09 PM   #2364
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Truck loaded with fireworks exploded and took a motorway viaduct down in Che-nan.

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:12 PM   #2365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

It looks like there was a traffic jam when the bridge collapsed. Far too many vehicles crashed down to have been free-flow traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM   #2366
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Anything in China comes at a big-scale.

makaveli6 liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2367
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

What's the purpose of just-in-build viaduct at far right side of this accident picture? Is this unfinished viaduct an attempt of widening this expressway?
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2368
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The accident happened on G30 Lianhuo Expressway near Sanmenxia in Henan. Google Earth shows a railway under construction next to it. It may have happened here

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #2369
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

Thanks. That makes sense.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2370
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Truck loaded with fireworks exploded and took a motorway viaduct down in Henan.
FTFY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The accident happened on G30 Lianhuo Expressway near Sanmenxia in Henan. Google Earth shows a railway under construction next to it. It may have happened here
The photo is from 2007 and the railway (Presumably Zhengzhou-Xi'an HSR) has been completed for some years now.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2371
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Bare pillars on that photo are not for high speed railway. HSRs in China have different and more massive pillars (until now I found three major types).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:17 PM   #2372
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
FTFY.

The photo is from 2007 and the railway (Presumably Zhengzhou-Xi'an HSR) has been completed for some years now.
Which foto? That one I posted? Did that accident happen in 2007?

I don't get what did you FTFM... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/02/wo...hina.html?_r=0
Old February 2nd, 2013, 02:24 PM   #2373
ChrisZwolle
Road user

nytimes calls it the Yichang Bridge, but that is quite a different bridge in Hubei. However names get duplicated a lot in China.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:00 PM   #2374
Surel

Now I got it.

Che-nan is a Czech exonym equvalent with Henan as English exonym and 河南 in Chinese.

In Pinyin it would then be Hénán.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:11 PM   #2375
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

It looks like that weight control and danger goods control is still something that China authorities needs to adopt.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2376
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Which foto? That one I posted? Did that accident happen in 2007?
The photo in Google Earth, on the area Chris pointed out.

Quote:
nytimes calls it the Yichang Bridge, but that is quite a different bridge in Hubei. However names get duplicated a lot in China.
But not in hanzi. That is due the tone modifiers not rendered in English. I once confused two cities both named Taizhou, but one is 台州 in Zhejiang and the other is 泰州 in Jiangsu.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2377
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow111 View Post
Hi everyone, my first post here. I've been here for a while as a lurker and thank everyone for your informative posts. I really learned a lot.

There's one thing I think many posters here seem confusing very often (at least through my limited observation), i.e., the difference between Guodao(national trunk highway) and Gaosugonglu(Expressway). They're concepts belong to two very different aspects. The term Guodao describes the position or importance of this very highway in the national highway network. Similar terms include Shengdao(provincial) ,Xiandao(county level) and Xiangdao(township level). While the term Gaosugonglu describes the technical standard(building/running) of the highway, together with terms like grade1 highway, grade2 highway, grade3 highway, etc.

So basically, Guodao doesn't have to be Expressway, it can also be grade1 or grade2 highway. In some remote areas, it can even be a grade3 or 4 highway. And Gaosugonglu isn't always Guodao, it can be Shengdao, Xiandao, even Xiangdao(possible but not likely).

Hope these helps to clarify some misunderstandings. By the way, I'm Chinese and from mainland China, glad to see so many discussions about my country's development, thanks!
gaosugonglu is real express way,fensed all the way,no cross. guodao is just ordinary road, but very important to the nation,normally very long.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2378
changluo

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
It's not a duplication. The character "Yi" in these two "yi chang" are different: 宜 for the one in Hubei; 义 for that in Henan. The pronunciation is also slightly different but most foreign chinese speakers can't tell the difference.

Last edited by changluo; February 3rd, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
changluo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:57 PM   #2379
feisibuke

Likes (Received): 191

Quote:
It looks like there was a traffic jam when the bridge collapsed. Far too many vehicles crashed down to have been free-flow traffic.
One of the vehicle crashed down was a car carrier truck.
feisibuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #2380
squirrelq

Likes (Received): 4

If you look at the photos published here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pict...?frame=2468592

and google earth you can see that parts of G30 in Shaanxi
and Henan are being widened at the moment to 8 lanes.

Last edited by squirrelq; February 4th, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
squirrelq no está en línea   Reply With Quote