daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2561
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
The same is true for metros and railways in last 10 days
Is there a list of those openings somewhere on SSC as well?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2013, 06:36 PM   #2562
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
For construction or for the total coverage? Or did you mean quality? Western part of EU is already densely covered with motorways and in some countries been that way for decades. There are some serious gaps in the East hence Poland has more motorways under construction than any other country in EU at the moment.
I meant quality, I feel it is superb, great road quality and amenities, only small problem I see is that 2x2 motorways can have a rather narrow profile.

Coverage is getting there, and exceeds EU/US levels in some places. Most of the openings were in less developed provinces this year so the whole country is getting a dense motorway network.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 06:38 PM   #2563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19387

Yes, most openings were indeed in the interior south and central parts of China, especially Fujian, Guangxi, Hunan and Sichuan.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:07 PM   #2564
Hidden Dragon

Likes (Received): 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I have never seen such a high volume of new expressways open in basically 10 days.
Total: 2278 km
Hidden Dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 02:37 AM   #2565
strandeed

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorum View Post
If China motorway standards will be near EU standards,
No, Chinese motorways are not built to western standards...

I believe they are mostly built to Japanese specifications which means the lanes and shoulders are quite narrow.

Here is a picture of the M6 toll in the UK... note the wide inner and outer shoulders/median and wider lanes.

strandeed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 02:41 AM   #2566
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is no such thing as "western standards". Italy, Switzerland and Sweden build motorways that have little or no shoulder at all. Standards vary by country. One man's full-standard motorway is another man's substandard motorway.

Most Chinese expressways with 2x2 lanes are 24.5 - 26.0 meters wide.
Old January 1st, 2014, 02:43 AM   #2567
strandeed

yes I probably worded that wrong.

The UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand tend to follow similar standards (signage notwithstanding) and these are the countries i'm typically referring to.

Mainland Europe is a bit mix n match.
Old January 1st, 2014, 02:52 AM   #2568
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandeed View Post

I believe they are mostly built to Japanese specifications which means the lanes and shoulders are quite narrow.
What is the standard for lane width in China and other countires (UK, Germany, US, Poland)? I always thought they are pretty much in the area of 3.5 to 3.75m in all cases. Are you saying lanes are narrower than 3.5m in China?

And why post a picture of the M6 toll? This is a short stretch of a great road which is by no means a standard in the UK.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:16 AM   #2569
strandeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
What is the standard for lane width in China and other countires (UK, Germany, US, Poland)? I always thought they are pretty much in the area of 3.5 to 3.75m in all cases. Are you saying lanes are narrower than 3.5m in China?

And why post a picture of the M6 toll? This is a short stretch of a great road which is by no means a standard in the UK.
I can't find much information on lane width's... i'm simply going off my admittedly uneducated mk1 eyeball.

Japanese expressway's are built in some areas to 3.25m whereas the USA for example uses a minimum of 3.66m

It may be the shallow median, or the narrow shoulder which gives an overall claustrophobic impression.
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:19 AM   #2570
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Netherlands also uses a lane width of 3.20 meters in urban areas and 3.5 m in other areas. From what I've seen 3.75 m is a fairly common lane width in Europe, but as stated before, it varies from country to country. There are no pan-European design standards such as the Vienna convention on traffic signs.
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM   #2571
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Dragon View Post
Total: 2278 km
I count about 4000km opened in December
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:53 AM   #2572
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Is there a list of those openings somewhere on SSC as well?
Here the links,

Metro openings
Railway openings

keokiracer liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 03:19 PM   #2573
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2013 openings

I logged 103 individual expressway openings in 2013, with a combined length of 8018 kilometers. The average new expressway opening was 78 km long. The largest single opening was the Xingba Expressway (S24) in Inner Mongolia, where 265 kilometers opened at one time at 21/11/2013.

This would put the Chinese expressway length at 31/12/2013 at 99,175 kilometers (corrected for concurrencies). Considering some openings have not been recorded, there is likely now more than 100,000 kilometers of expressway in China.

In 2013, China overtook the United States in expressway length. The 31/12/2013 freeway length in the United States was 97,384 km (preliminary figure, but unlikely to change substantially).
Old January 2nd, 2014, 02:36 PM   #2574
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
1 January 2014

The first 41 kilometer segment of the G4216 Lipan Chengli Expressway opened to traffic in Yunnan and Sichuan provinces. It runs from Huaping to G5 at Panzhihua. It will eventually connect Lijiang and Panzhihua Chengdu.
FTFY.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 02:52 PM   #2575
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't see how this would connect to Chengdu. It starts more than 500 kilometers south of Chengdu, unless they plan to build it next to G5 (which was only recently finished in this area).
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM   #2576
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
There is no such thing as "western standards". Italy, Switzerland and Sweden build motorways that have little or no shoulder at all. Standards vary by country. One man's full-standard motorway is another man's substandard motorway.

Most Chinese expressways with 2x2 lanes are 24.5 - 26.0 meters wide.
Not much different from Europe. In Italy, for example, the minimum width for a new autostrada is 25m.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2577
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
I don't see how this would connect to Chengdu. It starts more than 500 kilometers south of Chengdu, unless they plan to build it next to G5 (which was only recently finished in this area).
Apparently the G4216 will follow the Yangtze river and then the G213 highway. The last few kilometers into Chengdu will be concurrent with the G4215 Chengzun expressway.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #2578
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorum View Post
Congratulations China!!!...
We opened 80km now in December in RO, they opened above 900!
If China motorway standards will be near EU standards, i think that this 900km will be reduced at 200-300km...or maybe i'm wrong?
Hope that i'm not offtopic...if yes, sorry!
Quote:

I think that dorum wasn't referring to the lanes width standard, but was thinking more at "construction standards", such as engineering stress calculations, concrete&asphalt receipts, embankment works compaction and other such things. "Quality" was the main thing in his mind.

-----------------------

Speaking about the other standard, with the road width, in my country (Romania), motorway lanes are 3.75 m wide with a hard shoulder of 2.50 m wide (3.50 + 2.00 m for motorways in the mountains).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #2579
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Not much different from Europe. In Italy, for example, the minimum width for a new autostrada is 25m.
Italy isn't Europe. A rural 4-lane motorway in Europe is in fact at least 29,0 metres wide.
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:50 AM   #2580
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
yes I probably worded that wrong.

The UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand tend to follow similar standards (signage notwithstanding) and these are the countries i'm typically referring to.

Mainland Europe is a bit mix n match.
There is no such thing as western standards. Any highway in any country is built according to the restraint of the local environment.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote