daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #2621
hhzz

Likes (Received): 1274

List top 10 of provinces by length of expressway by the end of 2013.

Henan 5873
Guangdong 5724
Hebei 5587
Shandong 5239
Shanxi 5190
Hunan 5084
Sichuan 5044
Jiangsu 4500
Heilongjiang 4378
Shaanxi 4363
hhzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #2622
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Why are they constructing giant freeways in the middle of mountains and deserts, but at the same time f.e. Beijing expressways are in the city completely sub-standard?! Just like in Spain...
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #2623
hhzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Why are they constructing giant freeways in the middle of mountains and deserts, but at the same time f.e. Beijing expressways are in the city completely sub-standard?! Just like in Spain...
China is very mountainous and it's common that the roads are constructed in the middle of mountains.
Maybe because the heavy traffic overloaded the expressways in Beijing.
Old February 7th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #2624
hhzz

Ya'an-Xichang Expressway

Ya'an-Xichang Expressway in Sichuan province,Western China.

By 一路快步
------------------
A driving video on this expressway.

begleca, SLASH_2, verreme, XSJV5, foxmulder and 7 others liked this post
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #2625
RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhzz View Post
China is very mountainous and it's common that the roads are constructed in the middle of mountains.
Maybe because the heavy traffic overloaded the expressways in Beijing.
Well many of Beijings ringroads even cant be called expressways with traffic light and very poor engineering, while I've seen tons of pics of totally empty superhighways in the middle of deserts and mountainois areas with _no_ populations.
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #2626
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Well many of Beijings ringroads even cant be called expressways with traffic light and very poor engineering, while I've seen tons of pics of totally empty superhighways in the middle of deserts and mountainois areas with _no_ populations.
In areas with no population, land is free to government, in Beijing, more political trouble for them to demolish buildings, etc.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #2627
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Well many of Beijings ringroads even cant be called expressways with traffic light and very poor engineering,
Are you kidding? I live in Beijing for 5 years and never seen a ring road with "traffic light and very poor engineering". Point out ONE if you don't mind.

Quote:
while I've seen tons of pics of totally empty superhighways in the middle of deserts and mountainois areas with _no_ populations.
Again except for the opening period tell me which expressway is totally empty? I just came back from the west for Chinese New Year and what I saw is heavy traffic for most of the expressways.

Pansori liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #2628
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Are you kidding? I live in Beijing for 5 years and never seen a ring road with "traffic light and very poor engineering". Point out ONE if you don't mind.
Either the other guy is talking crap or he just assumed that Google Maps was right by showing the inner ring roads yellow instead of orange, but they're all still grade-seperated.

Quote:
Again except for the opening period tell me which expressway is totally empty? I just came back from the west for Chinese New Year and what I saw is heavy traffic for most of the expressways.
G3012 through the desert in the far west maybe? I dunno... But what also should be noted is that not all highways are built because it is too busy for a regular road, but also for safety reasons. With building a highway you basically eliminate head-on crashes (besides of course some nutjob every now and then that will use the wrong carriageway...) whilst it's quite easy to have them on roads where traffic in both directions is only seperated by a simple white line. Also the average speed. You can go faster on a highway than over regular roads. Which, with the huge distances in for example the west of China would give great time gains against relatively low cost. And those are just 2 examples of the advantages that highways have over regular roads.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:19 AM   #2629
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:

I imagine the inner ring roads (2 and 3) might be more challenging for keeping typical expressway standards but 'traffic lights' and 'poor engineering' made me think wtf is this guy talking about.

Anyway, it's all covered by Tencent or Baidu Maps Streetview so we can actually have a look and have a virtual tour.

Last edited by Pansori; February 10th, 2014 at 05:24 AM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #2630
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1664

Quote:

If you are reduced to drawing inferences from images instead of first hand experience draws attention to your judgement of lack thereof.

Obviously 1.384 billion people crammed along the eastern seaboard manily wouldn't impress you enough . I heard people say many things about China but you are the first to infer that it seems under populated.

By way of comparision exactly how many billions of people live in your crowded part of the World?
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #2631
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1664

Quote:
This is a case of "the pot calling the kettle black"
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #2632
ramakrishna1984

Likes (Received): 788

Shocked to see this China being the third largest country in the world is at number 6 in the list of World Longest Highways.. and when compared to United states it too less, United States is next to China in the list of biggest countries

United States Pan American Highway : 48,000km.
China National Highway 010 : 5,700km

See the difference its more than 42000 KM...

China - Worlds third biggest in terms of Area and first in population has a much need of Highways
ramakrishna1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #2633
Traceparts

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramakrishna1984 View Post
Shocked to see this China being the third largest country in the world is at number 6 in the list of World Longest Highways.. and when compared to United states it too less, United States is next to China in the list of biggest countries

China - Worlds third biggest in terms of Area and first in population has a much need of Highways
a single longest highway means nothing, only matters is total length
Year Length(china)

1988 0 km (0 mi)
1989 147 km (91 mi)
1990 271 km (168 mi)
1991 522 km (324 mi)
1992 574 km (357 mi)
1993 652 km (405 mi)
1994 1,145 km (711 mi)
1995 1,603 km (996 mi)
1996 2,141 km (1,330 mi)
1997 3,422 km (2,126 mi)
1998 4,771 km (2,965 mi)
1999 8,733 km (5,426 mi)
2000 11,605 km (7,211 mi)
2001 16,314 km (10,137 mi)
2002 19,453 km (12,088 mi)
2003 25,200 km (15,700 mi)
2004 29,800 km (18,500 mi)
2005 34,300 km (21,300 mi)
2006 41,005 km (25,479 mi)
2007 45,339 km (28,172 mi)
2008 53,913 km (33,500 mi)
2009 60,436 km (37,553 mi)
2010 65,055 km (40,423 mi)
2011 74,113 km (46,052 mi)
2012 84,946 km (52,783 mi)
2013 96,200 km (59,800 mi)
2014 104,500 km (64,900 mi)

and Pan-America highway travels through 23 countries

The Northern Pan-American Highway travels through 9 countries:
Canada
United States
Mexico
Guatemala
El Salvador
Honduras
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Panama
The Southern Pan-American Highway travels through 14 countries:
Suriname
Guyana
Brazil
Venezuela
Colombia
Ecuador
Peru
Chile
Argentina

null, geometarkv, Effer liked this post

Last edited by Traceparts; February 11th, 2014 at 07:43 AM.
Traceparts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #2634
ForteTwo
Quadragintaduologist

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:

Your figure for the Pan-American Highway seems far too high, even including spurs and branches in all 23 countries. For comparison, the longitudinal distance across the earth's surface from pole to pole is about 20,000 km.

The G-000 series of National Highways (five vertical and seven horizontal expressways) has been replaced in favor of the so-called 7918 system (7 radial expressways from Beijing, 9 north-south and 18 east-west) with G numbers of one, two or four digits. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Express...List_by_number
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #2635
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceparts View Post
a single longest highway means nothing, only matters is total length
Agree, it's only a game of numbering. And it's worth to mention that in US and China, highway = expressway, where in some countries highway could be lower grade roads, i.e. without proper access control.
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #2636
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
G3012 through the desert in the far west maybe? I dunno...
Even G3012 being a desert expressway is far from being called "totally empty" after the opening period.

--baidu picture search
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #2637
RV

Wait wait wait, I'm not dissing China in any way and don't have anything against the chinese?! I just remember seeing pictures on Beijings inner ringroads with stops, straight accesses to little streets and really badly built interchanges, and a few pages ago there is an nearly totally empty desert highway with not a house in hundreds of kilometres. I just think now that there still is money China should focus on it's cities highway network. The bridges on the mountains are awesome, but also really expensive compared to their cost (AADT like 1000-3000?); the job they are doing is really great, but priorities should go first - China has still the opportunity to built proper urban motorways as people think about progress and not their backyards like in Europe. For example, what is the AADT of the G638 Lianhuo Expwy in the middle of the desert, 100?

Last edited by RV; February 11th, 2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #2638
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:

There is no G010 anymore. That has been replaced mostly by G15. There is a G10, though, which is nowhere near that lenght.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForteTwo View Post
Your figure for the Pan-American Highway seems far too high, even including spurs and branches in all 23 countries. For comparison, the longitudinal distance across the earth's surface from pole to pole is about 20,000 km.

The G-000 series of National Highways (five vertical and seven horizontal expressways) has been replaced in favor of the so-called 7918 system (7 radial expressways from Beijing, 9 north-south and 18 east-west) with G numbers of one, two or four digits. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Express...List_by_number
Actually the system is now being called 71118, with 11 north-south expressways after the addition of G59 and G69. Anyway, I think I can come up with a new grid.

Quote:
For example, what is the AADT of the G30 Lianhuo Expwy in the middle of the desert, 100?
FTFY. Anyway, I believe it is not less than 1000.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #2639
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Chris sometimes complained about some names that despite being written differently in hanzi (Chinese characters) got rendered the same in Hanyu Pinyin, the most notable case being Shanxi and Shaanxi (The latter is from Gwoyeu Romatzyh, in Hanyu Pinyin is... Shanxi!). But I've found the real nightmare, two expressways sharing number and name even in hanzi: S48 沪宜高速 Huyi expressway, found in both Hubei and Jiangsu. The Hubei expressway is more like a branch of G50 Huyu expressway into Yichang, and continues to the Three Gorges dam as S58 Sanxia expressway, while the one in Jiangsu runs from Taicang (With a probable extension into Northern Shanghai still missing) to Yixing, but it has a gap North of Suzhou and Wuxi.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #2640
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Wait wait wait, I'm not dissing China in any way and don't have anything against the chinese?! I just remember seeing pictures on Beijings inner ringroads with stops, straight accesses to little streets and really badly built interchanges, and a few pages ago there is an nearly totally empty desert highway with not a house in hundreds of kilometres. I just think now that there still is money China should focus on it's cities highway network. The bridges on the mountains are awesome, but also really expensive compared to their cost (AADT like 1000-3000?); the job they are doing is really great, but priorities should go first - China has still the opportunity to built proper urban motorways as people think about progress and not their backyards like in Europe. For example, what is the AADT of the G638 Lianhuo Expwy in the middle of the desert, 100?
It seems, on my far away view, China has some big problems with traffic during holidays though when everything goes crazy, so some "oversize" highways are necessary in rural places... plus, the old roads are often clearly useless for even that traffic (too narrow, no pavement, between houses...), and if you are going to blow up a mountain to pass a new road, or you are building a road through desert, 4 lanes is as much work as 2 lanes The political system is such also that priorities are not set necessarily in a logical way (insufficient opposition)...

That said we see in this thread pictures of a lot of urban infrastructure not adapted to traffic, like insane traffic jams on an interchange, or interchange with super-elevated loops (why not just a stack interchange if already spending money to put loops on viaducts?!)
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote