daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #3181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Guangdong

Almost 500 kilometers of new expressway will open to traffic tomorrow in Guangdong province.

http://www.kaixian.tv/gd/2016/1227/82654.html

* S8: Guangfuzhao Expressway (Guangzhou / G55 - Guangxi border): 173 km
* G15W3: Yongguan Expressway (Chaozhou - Huidong): 129 + 55 km
* G2518: Shencen Expressway (Jiangmen / G15 - Luoding): 51 + 58 km
* S6 Guangjiang Expressway (a 'T' structure northeast of Jiangmen): 27 km

S8 is a completely new expressway that will run 221 km from Guangzhou to the Guangxi border near Fengkai. It follows the Xi River and contains several tunnels. The new segment runs from G55 west of Guangzhou to the Guangxi border, which is 173 km according to Google Earth. It passes by the city of Zhaoqing. It could be a part of the G6511 expressway from Liuzhou to Wuzhou in Guangxi, which Baidu shows as open.

G15W3 is the new expressway that runs parallel to G15 all the way from Ningbo to Dongguan. It incorporates the S20 expressway between Huidong/Huizhou and Dongguan. The newly opened segment runs from Chaozhou (not far from the Fujian border) to Huidong. However a segment from S17 to near Luhe already opened last year.

G2518, also known as provincial expressway S26 is supposed to run from Shenzhen to Cenxi in Guangxi. The newly opened segment runs from G15 west of Jiangmen to Luoding (it is also known as the Shenluo Expressway). Again, a segment from S5 to Xinxing already opened last year. This completes G2518 in Guangdong, at least west of the Pearl River Delta. I'm not sure if they actually plan to build the 40 or so kilometers from Shenzhen to Zhongshan, which would require a long bridge south of the Humen Bridge.

S6 is a new expressway that runs from Guangzhou to Jiangmen, in the southern part of the Pearl River Delta metropolis. It has many bridges, in fact 83% of the route runs on bridges. It consists of a 49 kilometer east-west route and an 18 kilometer north-south route through Jiangmen. It appears that the north-south route as well as 9 kilometers of the east-west route opens to traffic, they are not too clear on that. It makes sense as the bridge across the Xi River was far from completion on this satellite image from a year ago. The east-west and north south routes meet here.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EasySeven, Transhumanista liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #3182
EasySeven

Likes (Received): 139

I was intrigued by Chris' comment and wanted to find a highway plan of guangdong province. With my incredible paint skills and with the help of google translate I modified the one I found to be in english:

I don't think it's all accurate - the HK-macau bridge will surely not open in the next week but it might also be that Google translate was inaccurate in translating. However it seems Guangdong is preparing for a lot of construction in 2017 namely two Pearl River crossings and a northern Pearl River delta metro bypass. Obviously ignore the red line in the bottom left corner its the original authors addition but the rest seems accurate. I've checked a lot of the 2016-2017 projects and they all seem to be u/c as are some of the >2017 ones. Guangdong currently has 7000km of highways and the plan calls for more than 11000km by 2020 If Guangdong was a country it would probably be only behind China, USA, Spain, Germany and France. And those 11k don't include a lot of fully grade-separated urban highways.

The original image can be found here and if someone can provide more accurate translation please share them

http://big5.southcn.com/gate/big5/bb...qfrutgq30e.jpg

Edit: I found the original http://zwgk.gd.gov.cn/006939748/2013...08_374211.html. It seems to come from the provincial government of Guangdong province so that removes any doubt I had about the authenticity of the map.

ChrisZwolle, Transhumanista liked this post

Last edited by EasySeven; December 27th, 2016 at 10:40 PM.
EasySeven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #3183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's an insane network of expressways. The Pearl River Delta already has by far the largest urban expressway network in the world, measuring over 3,000 kilometers and many more expressways are still being built.

Unlike say, Los Angeles, this area has very difficult topography, it's a giant river delta so almost all expressways require large bridges. Many expressways are elevated. But there are also mountains so there are quite a bit of tunnels as well, especially around Shenzhen and in the periphery.
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #3184
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yunnan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
27 December 2016

The 42 kilometer long 'Xiaolong Expressway' opened to traffic today in Yunnan province. It is a bypass of G56 Hangrui Expressway between Kunming and Songming. It is a 31 kilometer new eight lane alignment north of the old G56 and an 11 kilometer expansion of the existing G56. Media reports call it the 'Xiaolong Expressway'.

http://yn.yunnan.cn/html/2016-12/27/content_4671751.htm
What's interesting that they built this eight lane expressway in less than two years. February 2015 imagery in Google Earth shows no construction, and it's now open to traffic. It contains several bridges and two or three 4-tube tunnels. Apparently they couldn't build tubes large enough for four lanes in one direction.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, Transhumanista, dewlin07 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:37 AM   #3185
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Yunnan is crazy fast, they also built a metro line in two years .

About Guangdong's expressways, it's Guangfozhao expressway, as it is Foshan, not Fushan, much like Bengbu or Lu'an (both in Anhui) are not "Bangbu" or "Liu'an" respectively. But now it is clear it will go beyond Zhaoqing, so that invalidates its name, it should be the Guangfeng (Guangzhou-Fengkai) expressway. And yes, Chinese expressway plans are crazy, they are basically a "FritzOwling" of the whole country as they would be described over at AARoads forums, after a forumer named FritzOwl who has similarly crazy plans for the Western USA.

Oh, and I know Xi river as West river, as that is its literal meaning. And as a fact, the North Pan river, over which several high bridges have been built, flows into it through Hongshui, Qian and Xun rivers.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #3186
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe it's named after Zhaoqing prefecture, which continues past the city to the Guangxi border.
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #3187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
26 December 2016

The 61 kilometer Shangguan - Heqing (Shanghe) Expressway opened to traffic in Yunnan. It was built at break-neck speed, in just 1.5 years.

http://yn.yunnan.cn/html/2016-12/26/content_4669194.htm
Amazing how they built a 61 kilometer expressway from June 2015 to December 2016, especially considering this is not easy terrain with several tunnels and a large number of bridges.

Transhumanista, 8166UY, dewlin07 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #3188
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Apparently they couldn't build tubes large enough for four lanes in one direction.
They could do that but it would take more time and additional difficulties during construction with probably more cost.
Chinese expressway construction is actually quite simple as they use same elements all over country (it's the same with their railways). Most viaducts, retaining walls and tunnels look the same. This simplifies things and makes them much cheaper and faster to build. Just special objects like some large bridges are made differently
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #3189
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Taizhen Expressway

Quote:
28 December 2016

A 28 kilometer segment of the Taizhou - Zhenjiang Expressway opened to traffic in Jiangsu province. It runs between G2 and S28, east of the city of Taizhou.

http://www.kaixian.tv/gd/2016/1228/94003.html
Photos:
The G2/S35 interchange. It looks like they also expanded G2 to eight lanes (February 2016 imagery in Google Earth shows four lanes).

Signage. Exit numbering appears quite commonly signed in China, though Baidu, OSM and Google maps do not show it.
Old December 28th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #3190
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Amazing how they built a 61 kilometer expressway from June 2015 to December 2016, especially considering this is not easy terrain with several tunnels and a large number of bridges.
I know that in western democracies infrastructure planning and construction requires far more burocracy than in PRC but... even if they look twice that time (3 years) it would have been extremely fast.
In Europe a such project would easily require a decade of construction.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #3191
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

I do not have a deep understanding of the procedures required to start construction of infrastructure in China, but if there are two countries in the world notorious for their ubiquitous, infinite and overall insane bureaucracy, these are Germany and China.
Old December 28th, 2016, 10:05 PM   #3192
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
Maybe it's named after Zhaoqing prefecture, which continues past the city to the Guangxi border.
Well, I checked Baidu maps and it appears as the Guangzhou-Wuzhou (Guangwu) expressway (a route which G80 also does). And its number is S7 (although it doesn't have a number in the aforementioned map), S8 was the former number of the planned upgrade of G107, now part of G4W2.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old December 29th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #3193
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

A standard stretch of motorway under normal circumstances takes 3-4 years to physically construct in Canada.. 8-10 years in the full process from idea inception to completion, maybe. 3-4 years of initial Planning, 2-3 for detailed design and tendering, and 3-4 for construction.

My understanding is that the planning process in china is more like 1-2 years instead of 6-7, with construction being 2-3 instead of 3-4.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #3194
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2.5 - 3.5 years seems quite common for most Chinese expressway projects that do not require exceptional bridges or tunnels. A construction time of less than 2 years does occur (as is evidently the case in Yunnan), but doesn't seem like commonplace in all regions.

For example, today a 134 kilometer segment of G7 (Jingxin Expressway) was inaugurated in northern Gansu. It runs from the Inner Mongolia border to the Xinjiang border. It runs through fairly flat terrain, no major bridges or tunnels are required. Construction lasted from June 2014 to December 2016.
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #3195
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Beipanjiang Bridge

Quote:
29 December

A 28 kilometer segment of G56 Hangzhou - Ruili (Hangrui) Expressway opened to traffic on the border of Guizhou and Yunnan provinces. It runs from S77 (Shuipan Expressway) to Pulixiang.

This segment contains two of the world's highest bridges, the 565 meter high Beipanjiang Bridge and the 485 meter high Puli Bridge.

http://www.chinanews.com/sh/2016/12-29/8109172.shtml
The Beipanjiang Bridge:

Old December 30th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #3196
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
For example, today a 134 kilometer segment of G7 (Jingxin Expressway) was inaugurated in northern Gansu. It runs from the Inner Mongolia border to the Xinjiang border. It runs through fairly flat terrain, no major bridges or tunnels are required. Construction lasted from June 2014 to December 2016.
The "Middle of nowhere expressway" as I call it. The largest (and only) settlement along the route is the village (cun) of Gongpoquan, seat of the town (zhen) of Mazongshan, located in the autonomous county (zizhixian) of Subei Mongol in the city (shi) of Jiuquan. In the Subway and Urban Transport forums they ask where lesser known cities are located, I even know of villages like that one!
Old December 30th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #3197
Jiangwho

Likes (Received): 58

Beipanjiang Bridge opened to traffic on 29 dec

Old December 30th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #3198
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Chengdu

There is even a third ring expressway of Chengdu under construction. It will be a 438 km (Chinese Wikipedia) or 459 km (Baike) long ring road.

The southern half from G5 at Pujiang to the newly opened G5013 near Jianyang (127 km) could open by 1 January 2017 according to this report, which is a bit vague to me: http://meishan.scol.com.cn/sdxw/201612/55787597.html

Google Earth shows advanced construction on this segment. Baidu labels it as G4203. Chinese Wikipedia doesn't show a number for this portion, but notes that the northern half is numbered as G0511.

Chinese Wikipedia: https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%88...85%AC%E8%B7%AF

Baike Baidu: http://baike.baidu.com/view/7962052.htm

EasySeven, Transhumanista liked this post
Old December 31st, 2016, 02:11 PM   #3199
CNGL
Leudimin

I knew about that mega-ring for some time now. I've seen G4203 as a number for all of it, but actually only the Deyang-Dujiangyan section has an "official" number, that being G0511 (And of course, it's named Deyang-Dujiangyan, or Dedu, expressway). Baidu shows another G0511 North of Linfen in Shanxi, which I've also seen listed as S73 in the English Wikipedia.
Old December 31st, 2016, 02:43 PM   #3200
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are several mega ring roads in China. These typically have a more regional character than a functional bypass of a city.

* G93: Chengyu Ring Expressway in Sichuan & Chongqing. Planned length of 1057 kilometers.
* G95: Capital Area Expressway around Beijing. Planned length of 924 kilometers.
* G98: Ring Expressway (Hainan). 613 kilometers.
* G91: Liaozhong Ring Expressway around Shenyang. Length of 399 kilometers.
* G94: Zhusanjiao Ring Expressway around the Pearl River Delta. Planned length of 338 kilometers.
* G92: Hangzhouwan Ring Expressway around the Hangzhou Bay. Planned length of 229 kilometers.

Many city ring roads are numbered concurrent with other expressways. Some only have small segments that are not part of another route.

Luki_SL, Transhumanista liked this post