daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #3261
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Yeah but what about traffic jams? Or is that highway not officially open for traffic yet? Or perhaps it has low traffic to allow for such road use?
Instead of compensating the locals for the lands the road is now on, the officials there likely offered to "share" the land/road .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
Or California city...

They don't have footpaths though .

The overpass is now under construction, with other parts such as greening work and footpaths still to be built ( http://www.scmp.com/news/china/socie...p-too-far-some ).

They should throw in a bike path or two as well .
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #3262
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
Do they built the houses before than infrastructure in your country?
They pretty much do in the UK! OK, they make sure there's road access and connections to water and power supply, but they only upgrade the infrastructure to deal with the new housing after the fact when the existing networks begin to feel the strain.

This is like Cities:Skylines on god-mode - just draw a grid of excessively high capacity roads assuming that the traffic signals will create horrible congestion exacerbated by the permanent peak time. Then zone the area within.
Quote:
Or California city...
Those roads are nowhere near as excessive as these. Mostly two-lane and pretty much dirt roads vs 6-8 lane asphalt for the key grid. California City was lay it out cheaply then upgrade when people start building.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #3263
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
Do they built the houses before than infrastructure in your country?
True. Although China puts SimCity into the shadow. Take this one for instance. They are literally building ANOTHER city the same size of Nanning right next to the existing city of Nanning. Roads and infrastructure go first.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #3264
lampsakos21

Likes (Received): 21

After watching the latest posts , I really wanna cry why in Greece we don't make similar stuff by inviting Chinese companies... and before telling me that Greece is poor , I must tell you that we still have money that we prefer to use in very simple solutions in a very inappropriate way in terms of cost ! I really admire serbia that brought the Chinese corporations in Serbia in order to build in a faster way the most important corridors , while in Greece we claim victory for just doing some very simple roads ! ..........
lampsakos21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #3265
hhzz

Likes (Received): 1274

Beijing-Xinjiang Expressway G7

The Beijing-Xinjiang expressway (G7), which links Beijing and Urumqi of Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, is expected to open to traffic by June 30.

The new expressway has a length of 2,582 kilometers and crosses Inner Mongolia autonomous region. After put into use, the expressway will shorten the existing route by 1,300 km.

It will become the fastest and most convenient access to the sea for the northwestern inland region, connecting Xinjiang Khorgas Port and Tianjin Port in the east. It is designed to be an important component of the New Asian-European Land Bridge.

run through the Gobi Desert in Inner Mongolia

a service station in Inner Mongolia

-----------
xinhuanet
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #3266
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampsakos21 View Post
After watching the latest posts , I really wanna cry why in Greece we don't make similar stuff by inviting Chinese companies... and before telling me that Greece is poor , I must tell you that we still have money that we prefer to use in very simple solutions in a very inappropriate way in terms of cost ! I really admire serbia that brought the Chinese corporations in Serbia in order to build in a faster way the most important corridors , while in Greece we claim victory for just doing some very simple roads ! ..........
Well, Greece, unlikely Serbia, is part of EU, so it must respect EU laws about public contracts. I don't think EU bids can be open to non-EU companies.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #3267
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Well, Greece, unlikely Serbia, is part of EU, so it must respect EU laws about public contracts. I don't think EU bids can be open to non-EU companies.
I didn't think that Macron's 'EU'-first Trump-esque nationalistic policies were yet part of EU law (though it wouldn't surprise me that they had this sort of anti-foreigner rule).

As far as I'm aware it's more the case that the bids don't have to be open to non-EU firms, rather than that they must be EU. Serbia, unlike Greece doesn't see Russia and China as being part of rival blocks to be in a Cold War with. I doubt Greece does either, but the debt it owes drives the issue.
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #3268
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhzz View Post
l2.
That service station looks like it belongs in the Mojave, not the Gobi. Is there some sort of architectural Euro-mania going on in China?
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:30 AM   #3269
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1204

This image looks photoshopped.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #3270
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
This image looks photoshopped.
I think the problem is if you build it people might not come... Which is a problem with China planning...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #3271
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:
The Beijing-Xinjiang expressway (G7), which links Beijing and Urumqi of Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, is expected to open to traffic by June 30.

The new expressway has a length of 2,582 kilometers and crosses Inner Mongolia autonomous region. After put into use, the expressway will shorten the existing route by 1,300 km.

It will become the fastest and most convenient access to the sea for the northwestern inland region, connecting Xinjiang Khorgas Port and Tianjin Port in the east. It is designed to be an important component of the New Asian-European Land Bridge.
The Middle of Nowhere expressway as I nicknamed it. The Bayannur to Hami (or more precisely Wulatai) section is the only independent one that was originally planned, although they now plan to separate it from the Beijing-Tibet (G6) and Lianyungang-Khorgas (G30) expressways. Namely new Beijing-Hohhot and Wutongdaquan-Urumqi expressways are at least planned (leaving Hohhot-Bayannur as a concurrency, and Wutongdaquan-Wulatai behind). As for the new expressway, at least it is paralleled by a regular road (S312), except for a section across a ridge where it parallels the Linhe-Ceke railway and then going directly to the S312/S218 junction via Zhongcun, to West of Dalaihubu (labelled as Ejin banner on Google Maps), but then it's a real trek through nowhere to Wulatai, the only settlement along the route being Gongpoquan (labelled as Mazongshan) in Gansu province, where the expressway intersects G215 (still marked as Gansu S216).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #3272
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1216

Quote:

-----------
xinhuanet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
That service station looks like it belongs in the Mojave, not the Gobi. Is there some sort of architectural Euro-mania going on in China?
Influences from Central Asia over hundreds of years.

Quote:
I think the problem is if you build it people might not come... Which is a problem with China planning...
http://ceenews.info/en/renewable-ene...sion-in-china/

http://www.inquisitr.com/1925377/chi...er-generation/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RMGRNEHJF9...lar-CSP-01.jpg

devo liked this post
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 04:03 AM   #3273
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That is not correct at all.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #3274
Jiangwho

Likes (Received): 58

China completes Beijing-Xinjiang desert freeway sections

BEIJING, July 15 (Xinhua) -- Three new sections of freeway, mostly in desert areas, were put into use on Saturday, marking the completion of a freeway between Beijing and northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
The three sections in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Gansu Province and Xinjiang have a combined length of more than 1,200 km, bringing the total length of the Beijing-Xinjiang freeway to about 2,768 km.
"The Beijing-Xinjiang freeway is the most convenient road passage connecting Beijing with northwest Inner Mongolia, northern Gansu, and Xinjiang," said Ren Jinxiong, an official with the Ministry of Transport.
With a length of 930 km, the Inner Mongolia section is the longest freeway project in China. The Gansu section is 134 km long and the Xinjiang section is 178 km long.
The three sections are mostly located in deserts with poor natural conditions and little water, posing a challenge to the road builders.
The Beijing-Xinjiang freeway is one of seven freeways connecting the national capital with other major cities, according to a national freeway plan.
By the end of 2016, China had 131,000 km of freeways in operation, more than any other country.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/

Pansori, sponge_bob liked this post
Jiangwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:54 AM   #3275
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Is it really necessary to have two desert expressways between Beijing and Ürümqi? And it doesn't look 1,300 km shorter.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #3276
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Is it really necessary to have two desert expressways between Beijing and Ürümqi? And it doesn't look 1,300 km shorter.
Only one goes to Urumqi across the Gobi. There are two routes much further east, direct and indirect.

And the difference seems less than 1300km to me too.

None of which detracts from the awesomeness of the Chinese Expressway network which is heading for 150% of the US Interstate network in size now.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #3277
sotonsi

there's only one Beijing-Ürümqi highway: the G30 heads to more southerly places.

I too can't see how it is 1300km shorter. Google maps has 3176km for G5-G20-G2012-G30 (it's shortest route), so that's more like 600km shorter going by the length figure of 2582km that the article making the claim gives (rather than the 2768km the one about it opening gives). Even going G5-G30 (ie via Xian) is 'only' 3614km, so barely over 1000km more.

It's still a very impressive opening, and a massive reduction on road journeys between NE China, and Central Asia.
Old July 16th, 2017, 04:42 AM   #3278
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Well, I think the G30 was enough. I don't see why they need an expressway through a desert. It's not a big difference in distance for such a long journey.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #3279
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Aparently China wants to connect all its region by motorway-grade roads, doesn't matter how remote and low-travelled they are.
The USA did something similar in the 1950s and 1960s, with the Interstate program that included a freeway network to connect all 48 mainland states, including many remote sections through deserts, mountains and prairies (like the famous I-70 in Colorado).
It's the opposite of what happens in Europe or Canada, where motorways are usually built only where traffic volumes justify them, thus creating a discontinue network.
By Chinese or American standards, the Trans-Canadian highway would be a motorway all the way between the Atlantic and the Pacific, and northern Europe would have motorways till remote cities such as Tromso, Rovaniemi or Kiruna.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:15 PM   #3280
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Also by Spanish standards. I think Chinese standards would be only matched by FritzOwl, a well-known guy over at AARoads forum who upgrades every road to Interstate status.

Anyway, I was eagerly expecting this section for quite some time now (I think since I discovered the plans to build it), and almost immediately nicknamed all of G7 as the "Middle of Nowhere" expressway. There are several villages in the Eastern half (especially near Bayannur), but West of Ejin banner there's exactly one settlement: Gongpoquan or Mazongshan.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote