daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #3281
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Well, I think the G30 was enough. I don't see why they need an expressway through a desert. It's not a big difference in distance for such a long journey.
It shaves off 550 kilometers for traffic from Inner Mongolia to Xinjiang. I don't know how they came up with the 1300 km figure, even if you would travel G6+G30 via Lanzhou it's not that much shorter via G7.

A 550 kilometer shorting is a substantial contributor to lowering transport cost and connecting various regions of the country. However in this case it runs through extremely remote terrain with virtually no settlements or any kind of infrastructure, except for some railways. I wonder what kind of traffic volume they have forecast there. The G7 is akin to building a motorway through the Australian Outback.

In China, the reasoning for building expressways in remote or extremely rugged terrain is not traffic volume but connecting the country. The U.S. had a similar approach in the 1950s when they decided that all Interstate Highways would be constructed with four lanes even with traffic volumes clearly not requiring it at that time (and in some cases, even today). Earlier plans of the Interstate Highway System included two-lane corridors in the High Plains.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Verso, Zaz965 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #3282
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

In China, the reasoning for building expressways in remote or extremely rugged terrain is not traffic volume but connecting the country. The U.S. had a similar approach in the 1950s when they decided that all Interstate Highways would be constructed with four lanes even with traffic volumes clearly not requiring it at that time (and in some cases, even today).
The US network is formally called the National Interstate AND DEFENCE Highways if that is any help.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #3283
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The G7 is akin to building a motorway through the Australian Outback.
If, instead of Perth and the 2.6 million in Western Australia, at the remote end away there is not only the over 20 million people in the Xinjiang Region, but access to the -stans and beyond.

Sure, it's an insanely long drive, but it's much more strategic than merely crossing the desert for the relatively small population the other side.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #3284
mingrady
齐天大&

Likes (Received): 53

Does anyone have China's expressway traffic stats?

I would assume most expressways don't have much traffic because pretty much all of them are toll charging and in fact quite expensive; And because of low traffic volume, they are losing money. So we have a vicious cycle.

I think at this point, the government doesn't even care about profitability. The overriding priority seems to be build, build, and build; more bridges, more tunnels and expressway everywhere.

I am sure there is a reason behind all these rush to build. Has Chinese government spelled it out for the public?
mingrady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #3285
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingrady View Post
Does anyone have China's expressway traffic stats?

I would assume most expressways don't have much traffic because pretty much all of them are toll charging and in fact quite expensive; And because of low traffic volume, they are losing money. So we have a vicious cycle.

I think at this point, the government doesn't even care about profitability. The overriding priority seems to be build, build, and build; more bridges, more tunnels and expressway everywhere.

I am sure there is a reason behind all these rush to build. Has Chinese government spelled it out for the public?
Low traffic in China? You must be joking. Maybe in the Western part where nobody lives besides Urumqi and a few other towns but look at the population density in the East. There's like 1+ billion people living in the area half the size of the United States. They have to get from place to place somehow. Only problem is that they might not be building fast enough to match the demand.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #3286
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18137

July 17, 2017
New road brings Xinjiang closer
China Daily Excerpt

The Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region in far northwestern China has just become a bit closer to the capital, as three sections of a new expressway along risky terrain opened to traffic on Saturday.

The new sections have a combined length of more than 1,200 kilometers. The 930-km Linhe-Baigeda section is in the Inner Mongolia autonomous region; the 134-km Baigeda-Mingshui section is in Gansu province; and the 178-km Mingshui-Hami section is in Xinjiang.

The sections run through the Gobi Desert, which is characterized by drought and other poor natural conditions. The more than 500 km running through desolate and uninhabited areas of Inner Mongolia, which posed a challenge to construction workers.

The Beijing-Xinjiang Expressway, or G7, is one of seven expressways connecting Beijing with other major cities under a national expressway plan.

"The expressway is a new passage ... and the most convenient road to link Beijing with the northwestern region of Inner Mongolia, northern Gansu and Xinjiang, which will enhance communication between northern China's eastern, central and western areas," said Ren Jinxiong, an inspector in the Ministry of Transport's planning division.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #3287
lawdefender

Likes (Received): 1381

Chinese Expressway Map

http://www.9lvyou.com/photo/uploadph...1717011132.jpg

Luki_SL, Zaz965, Vladivostok2012 liked this post
lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #3288
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What does this sign say?

Mongolia border 107 km
Hohhot 1442 km
Beijing 2113 km

?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 19th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #3289
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

The first row ends in "erquan", I don't know the pinyin for the first character. But definitely not Mongolia border. The other two are definitely Hohhot (written as Huhehaote) and Beijing.

Edit: A quick look to Wiktionary, and I got the pinyin for that character. So, the first row reads Jing'erquan, which is located here. There's not much there, just some ruins.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

mingrady liked this post

Last edited by CNGL; July 19th, 2017 at 01:00 AM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 10:00 AM   #3290
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe it's meant to represent the Gansu border? G7 is not on default mapping of Google Earth, but passes within 400 meters of those ruins. It is 38 kilometers from the Gansu border, perhaps that is the last exit in Xinjiang.
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:23 AM   #3291
lawdefender

Expressways of China

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressways_of_China

The expressway network of China is an integrated system of national and provincial-level expressways in China. By the end of 2016, the total length of China's expressway network reached 131,000 kilometers, the world's largest expressway system by length, having surpassed the overall length of the American Interstate Highway System in 2011。

History[edit]
Length of National Trunk Highway System by year[5][6]
[show]Year[note 2] Length
Prior to the 1980s, freight and passenger transport activities were predominantly achieved by rail transport rather than by road. The 1980s and 1990s saw a growing trend toward roads as a method of transportation and a shift away from rail transport. In 1978, rail transport accounted for 54.4% of the total freight movement in China, while road transport only accounted for 2.8%. By 1997, road transport's share of freight movement had increased to 13.8% while the railway's share decreased to 34.3%. Similarly, road's share of passenger transport increased from 29.9% to 53.3% within the same time period, with railway's share decreasing from 62.7% to 35.4%. The shift from rail to road can be attributed to the rapid development of the expressway network in China.[2]
On 7 June 1984, China's expressway ambitions began when construction of the Shenyang–Dalian Expressway began between the cities of Shenyang and Dalian. The expressway is now part of the longer G15 Shenyang–Haikou Expressway. Later that year, construction began on the Shanghai–Jiading Expressway in the city of Shanghai. The Shanghai–Jiading Expressway opened on 31 October 1988, becoming the first completed expressway in China.[4]
On 13 January 2005, Zhang Chunxian, China's Minister of Transport announced that China would build a network of 85,000 kilometres (53,000 mi) expressways over the next three decades, connecting all provincial capitals and cities with a population of over 200,000 residents. The announcement introduced the 7918 network (simplified Chinese: 7918网; traditional Chinese: 7918網; pinyin: 7918 wǎng), a grid of 7 radial expressways from Beijing, 9 north-south expressways, and 18 east-west expressways that would form the backbone of the national expressway system.[3] This replaced the earlier proposal for five north-south and seven east-west core routes, proposed in 1992.[2]
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:43 AM   #3292
lawdefender

List of countries by expressway network size

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_network_size

Rank Country Expressway length (km) Date of information

1 China 131,000 2017

2 United States 77,017 2017

3 Canada 17,000 2013

4 Spain 16,583 2013

5 Mexico 15,283 2014

6 Germany 12,917 2013

7 France 11,882 2013

8 Brazil 11,000 2013

9 Japan 8,050 2012

10 Italy 6,758 2013

Last edited by lawdefender; July 21st, 2017 at 05:39 PM.
lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 10:05 PM   #3293
ChrisZwolle
Road user

G0613 Xili Expressway

It has been reported that the construction of G0613 Xining - Lijiang Expressway has been completed in Qinghai province. It is a 636 kilometer section of high-altitude expressway from Hainan to Yushu.

The expressway already opened to traffic on 18 December 2014, but evidently the construction was not completed. The official opening occurred today, 1 August 2017.

It's an expressway of superlatives;

* it is the worlds highest controlled-access highway. It reaches 4824 meters at Bayan Har Pass
* 36% of the route is over 4100 meters in altitude
* 250 kilometers was built on permafrost
* there are several mountain passes between 4300 and 4800 m high, some of these are tunneled, but the highest - Bayan Har Pass - is not.
* the climate is so extreme that they could only work on it 5 months per year.

It is mostly a twinning of the existing G214 national road. Some sections were built on a completely new alignment.

Government press release: http://www.qhjt.gov.cn/companynews/e...-28-98258.html
Old August 1st, 2017, 10:15 PM   #3294
ChrisZwolle
Road user

G0613 Xili Expressway photos

I found some photos of G0613.

Bayan Har Pass:

Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:10 AM   #3295
CNGL
Leudimin

I've run out of expressways to eager for in China. After the completion of G45 between Longnan and Conghua and the "Middle of Nowhere expressway" (G7 between Linhe and Hami), I can now die peacefully. Oh, wait, there's still G6 to Lhasa.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 03:15 AM   #3296
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Those recent pictures kinda look like Interstate highways in the western US to me, yet with more green. Nice.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 02:54 PM   #3297
CNGL
Leudimin

I forgot the bridge I'm waiting for, the G59 Yellow River bridge which I nicknamed the Shaanxi bridge not after the province (it will link Shanxi, with only one A; with Henan) but rather after its location West of Shaanzhou (even though it's the only Shanzhou in China I spell it with two A as its first character is the same one in Shaanxi, 陕). I had forgotten about it as it is already shown in Baidu maps, but imagery on Google ones shows it U/C.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 05:18 PM   #3298
tjrgx

Likes (Received): 2799

Tibet Completes Fourth Highway to Become Region with 3-Hour Transportation System

The Tibet Autonomous Region of southwest China is one step closer to becoming a region with a 3-hour transportation system centered around its capital city Lhasa, with the completion of its fourth highway between two of its major cities, Lhasa and Nyingchi.

Tibet has a land area of about 1.2 million square kilometers and a population of about three million. This mountainous region has an average elevation of above 4,000 meters.

Its special geographic conditions have made it very difficult to build roads on. The highway system remained underdeveloped until the central government initiated a series of plans to encourage development in the western part of the country, including Tibet.

Since then, great efforts have been put into the building of highways in this area.

The first three highways completed earlier are the highways from Lhasa to Lhasa Gonggar Airport, to Shigatse City, and to Shigatse Pace Airport.

The fourth highway will shorten the commute between Lhasa and Nyingchi by five hours.

The fifth highway from Lhasa to Nagqu has just started construction.

Tibet's economy mainly relies on its agriculture, but in recent decades tourism has become a growing industry.

Zaz965, Transhumanista liked this post
tjrgx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #3299
CNGL
Leudimin

I've found G7 under construction between Xuanhua and the Shanxi border. Meanwhile no construction is in sight across the mountains between Changping and Yanqing, northwest of Beijing. It's a sore gap on the Middle of Nowhere expressway (yup, I also call the new Beijing-Hohhot expressway this way as it shares its number with the actual Middle of Nowhere expressway between Bayannur and Hami), and IIRC a few years ago there was a traffic jam on G110 that lasted for a few days. It would also be a better alternate to the old Tibet expressway (G6). I've also found G22 (Qingdao-Lanzhou expressway) U/C between Tunliu (Changzhi) and Xiangfen (Linfen), and obviously they have demolished part of Cuishao village (which sits right next to the G22/G55 interchange) to make way for the expressway.
Old August 11th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #3300
tjrgx

Likes (Received): 2799

Aerial photos show scenery along sightseeing road in Yan'an

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20..._136515699.htm

A tourist views scenery along a sightseeing road from an observation deck, in Weinan of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, Aug. 8, 2017. The 828.5km-long road, from Fugu County of Yulin City to the foot of Huashan Mountain in Weinan City, covers an area of numerous scenic spots, including Hukou Waterfall, Huashan Mountain and etc.. (Xinhua/Shao Rui)

Photo taken on Aug. 9, 2017 shows the bird's-eye view along a sightseeing road, in Yan'an of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, Aug. 8, 2017.

Photo taken on Aug. 8, 2017 shows the bird's-eye view along a sightseeing road, in Weinan of northwest China's Shaanxi Province

Cyclists take photos on a sightseeing road, in Yan'an of northwest China's Shaanxi Province, Aug. 9, 2017.

Photo taken on Aug. 8, 2017 shows the bird's-eye view along a sightseeing road, in Weinan of northwest China's Shaanxi Province

Photo taken on Aug. 9, 2017 shows the bird's-eye view along a sightseeing road, in Yan'an of northwest China's Shaanxi Province