daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #3301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

G56 Dongting Lake Bridge

The new suspension bridge across Dongting Lake in Hunan was constructively closed this week. The Dongting Lake Bridge is a top 10 suspension bridge with a 1480 meter main span. It is located near the city of Yueyang and carries the G56 Hangrui Expressway across it. It will likely open to traffic in December.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, Orion602, Transhumanista liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #3302
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

As you may know, I've nicknamed several expressways. The most outstanding one is that of G7 Beijing-Xinjiang expressway, or as it call it the "Middle of Nowhere expressway" (and for all of it, not just the Linhe-Hami section, despite the fact the new Beijing-Hohhot expressway runs through far more populated areas). There's also G30 Lianyungang-Khorgas, or Lianyungang-"Faraway" expressway, ending so far away from the coast at the Kazakh border. And the most subtle of all, the G2512 Fuxin-Jinzhou, or Fujin, expressway. The Pinyin spelling is unaffected, but the pronounciation is (I say the "jin", which is a third tone, as a first), as well as the name in Chinese characters (hanzi): Officially it is 阜锦高速公路, but I refer to it as 富金高速公路 (富金 is the Chinese name for a certain Austrian village , so it would be Fu**ing expressway).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

mingrady liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 04:56 AM   #3303
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingrady View Post
Does anyone have China's expressway traffic stats?

I would assume most expressways don't have much traffic because pretty much all of them are toll charging and in fact quite expensive; And because of low traffic volume, they are losing money. So we have a vicious cycle.

I think at this point, the government doesn't even care about profitability. The overriding priority seems to be build, build, and build; more bridges, more tunnels and expressway everywhere.

I am sure there is a reason behind all these rush to build. Has Chinese government spelled it out for the public?
I have traveled throughout China on the expressways and I can tell you it's always a lot of traffic on them. One time it was jam packed late at night up in the mountains between Chengdu and Chongqing!

Lots of traffic on China's expressways I can tell you.

Transhumanista liked this post
VECTROTALENZIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #3304
tjrgx

Likes (Received): 2812

Highway to prosperity: 130,000 km of highways in China

China now has the world's largest highway system, with more than 130,000 kilometers of roads, according to an official census on the country's expressways. That is long enough to take you on a road trip around the globe more than three times. The highways contribute a lot to the regional economy.

kdpy, Transhumanista liked this post
tjrgx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #3305
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
I have traveled throughout China on the expressways and I can tell you it's always a lot of traffic on them. One time it was jam packed late at night up in the mountains between Chengdu and Chongqing!

Lots of traffic on China's expressways I can tell you.
Every time I see a photo of a Chinese expressway it's always deserted

belerophon liked this post
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #3306
tjrgx

828 km-long highway along Yellow River opens to traffic in Shaanxi, China

XI'AN, Aug. 28 (Xinhua) -- A new highway along the Yellow River in northwest China's Shaanxi Province opened to traffic on Monday.

The north-south highway which starts in the city of Yulin and ends in Weinan travels 828.5 km along the west bank of the Yellow River.

At cost of 6.9 billion yuan (1 billion U.S. dollars), the highway across 12 districts and counties will benefit more than 2 million people.

The highway links several tourist destinations in Shaanxi including the Hukou Waterfall and Mount Huashan, one of China's five sacred mountains.

The highway also links nine expressways, 13 major highways and 80 country roads, said Feng Xining, director of the Shaanxi provincial transport department.

Last edited by tjrgx; August 29th, 2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old September 14th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #3307
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

So I was taking a look at the Middle of Nowhere expressway proper (G7 Beijing-Xinjiang expressway, or "Middle of Nowhere expressway" as I know all of it, between Linhe/Bayannur and Hami) and found quite extreme gaps between exits. There are at least two 100+ km gaps: 145 km just East of Ejin banner, and 114 km between the Westernmost exit in Inner Mongolia and Mazongshan in Gansu. At first I thought there were no exits between Wuliji Sumu (the S312/S218 junction) and Ejin banner (If true it would have been 316 km without exits), but then I found two other exits.

BTW, I though Chrome would be unable to load Chinese pages since Google is blocked there, but this is not the case.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #3308
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3505

I wish Chinese could speak better Englisch so i would make a road trip though that country. The scenery looks more interesting than in the USA.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #3309
tjrgx

Expressway in Guizhou Province

Luki_SL, Transhumanista liked this post
Old September 16th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #3310
tjrgx

Highway connecting all counties in S. China's Xiangxi Prefecture officially opens to traffic

The highway from Yongshun County to Jishou County was open to traffic on Sept 15, 2017, meaning that all counties in the Xiangxi Tujia and Miao Autonomous Prefecture in south China’s Hunan province have been connected by highway. The construction section from Yongshun to Jishou is the hardest project in the province. The section is 84.5 kilometers in length.

Highway89, AlexisMD, Transhumanista liked this post
Old September 16th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #3311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

S99 Yongji Expressway

Photos:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Pansori, tjrgx, Arnorian, dugiPL, dewlin07 and 12 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #3312
tjrgx

China Expressway:Beijing to Ürümqi(G7)

Old September 22nd, 2017, 02:27 PM   #3313
tjrgx

4,000 meters above sea level! Highway construction starts in Tibet

A six-lane highway, linking Lhasa and Nagqu, started construction in SW China's Tibet. With an elevation of 4,000 meters above sea level, the first grade highway is expected to complete by the end of 2019.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 05:40 PM   #3314
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1141

huha expressway

tjrgx, Technasia, Arnorian, Highway89, 8166UY and 4 others liked this post
oliver999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #3315
Hidden Dragon

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Every time I see a photo of a Chinese expressway it's always deserted
Even if they are empty, it's still much better than spending trillions of dollars on destroying other countries.
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:06 AM   #3316
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidden Dragon View Post
Even if they are empty, it's still much better than spending trillions of dollars on destroying other countries.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #3317
lawdefender

Likes (Received): 1383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I have not yet found any official / unofficial data of the 31/12/2016 length of the Chinese expressway network, other than 'around 130,000 km'.

However several provinces posted their end-of-year expressway totals;

* Guangdong: 7673 km
* Guanxi: 4656 km
* Guizhou: 5433 km
* Jiangxi: 5908 km
* Shaanxi: 5279 km
* Shandong: 5710 km
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B9...85%AC%E8%B7%AF

Guangdong Expressway is an important transportation network system in southern China. Guangdong Province, the first highway is built in 1989, the opening of the Guangfo Expressway, the province's highway in 2009 opened 4100 km mileage, in 2010 reached 5,000 km in 2012 opening mileage reached 5500 km [1], 2013 Traffic mileage of 5700 km [2]. Guangdong since 2013 to carry out the construction of the General Assembly since the highway, the highway mileage in 2014 exceeded 6,000 km, ranking first in the country; 2015, the highway mileage reached 7018 km, continue to maintain the country first, as soon as possible to achieve county Through the highway target. In 2016, Guangdong Province, highway construction plans to complete the investment of 85 billion yuan, new projects 15 782 km, to promote the construction of 3583 km project, built nine projects opened 716 km. [3]. November 23, 2015, the Guangdong Provincial People 's Government on the issuance of Guangdong Province Expressway 2015 to 2017 construction plans and long - term planning notice. According to the plan, by 2020, Guangdong Province, the highway mileage to reach 11,000 km。

lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #3318
lawdefender

Guangdong Province first Expressway Guang-Fo Expressway ( 15.7km)

Opened in 1989

Old September 25th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #3319
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdefender View Post
Guangdong Province first Expressway Guang-Fo Expressway ( 15.7km)

Opened in 1989

http://www.gdwh.com.cn/uploadfile/ol...2043509579.jpg
Would love to see more photos from the early days (up until late 90s) of Chinese expressways.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #3320
lawdefender

http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2..._129440197.htm

According to the Traffic Management Bureau statistics, by the end of 2016, the total number of national motor vehicle reached 290 million, in which there are 194 million passenger cars; drivers with motor vehicle license reached 310 million.

Orion602 liked this post
lawdefender no está en línea   Reply With Quote