daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #681
nemasen

Likes (Received): 0

Beijing Traffic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNG4q...ng%5Fjam%2Ephp

some look at the traffic in beijing right now ><
I really hope it gets better before the 2008 olympics
nemasen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #682
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Beijing has a massive expressway network, but it's build like a grid, making it sensitive for grid-locks. I recently made a map with google earth.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #683
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

i know that beijing's freeway network was not around 20 years ago...so was all the land reserved, or did they just demolish everythign in the path of the freeway?
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #684
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I heard they demolished entire neighborhoods to build these expressways. But i don't think there was another solution, since the area is densely build.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #685
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3708

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemasen View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNG4q...ng%5Fjam%2Ephp

some look at the traffic in beijing right now ><
I really hope it gets better before the 2008 olympics
Doubt it since more people are going to get cars easily, thanks to almost non existance driver's ed.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #686
hp500hp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
I heard they demolished entire neighborhoods to build these expressways. But i don't think there was another solution, since the area is densely build.
With poor recompensation and use of duress
hp500hp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #687
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

China plans 12 highways to Central Asia

BEIJING, April 6 (Reuters) - China will build 12 highways by 2010 linking its remote northwest to Central Asia, state media reported, targeting a key source for energy and commodities to fuel its rapid economic growth.

The longest will stretch 1,680 km (1.045 miles) from Urumqi, capital of Xinjiang region, to Istanbul, Xinhua news agency reported late on Thursday quoting the local transport administration.

The planned highways would connect China with Russia, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Pakistan.

The report did not say where the funding would come from. And it was not clear if this was part of a rail and highway plan discussed in a ministerial meeting in October.

Xinjiang shares a border with eight countries to the north and west of China.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How the hell would they build an expressway through the Karakorum to Tajikistan and Pakistan? :O
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #689
smartlake

They only look nice because they are ashpalt. Concrete highways last much longer and resist the ruts better than asphalt. I will give you the fact that asphalt looks nice, but they are not durable. Most heavily travelled HWs in the US are concrete or in the process of becoming concrete. Oh, and also, a lot of the entrance ramps look fine now, but once China gets more traffic on theses highways these ramps will become impossible--that is to say that the entering traffic lanes won't be long enough to allow the cars to merge in safely. I'm sorry, but these HWs are accidents waiting to happen.
smartlake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #690
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, you should see on-ramps on most of European motorways. They are of equal length and some are even shorter, but they seem to work ok.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #691
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

I think longer on ramps are important for highway safety, and Chinese ramps are a lot shorter than US ones. Especially considering the fact that Chinese highway's speed limit is 120km/h (75mph) and most drivers won't move to the left lane to allow people to merge.
However, this highway (Shanghai-Nanjing Expressway) has been there for 10 or 15 years and I've never heard any serious on ramp accidents. Trust me this is a BUSY freeway.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #692
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The longer onramps are, the better. You can safely accelerate to the max. speed, and merge.

Offramps could be shorter. In The Netherlands, offramps are quite long, i don't see the advantage, unless there is so much traffic that has to exit that the ramp jams.
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #693
smartlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Well, you should see on-ramps on most of European motorways. They are of equal length and some are even shorter, but they seem to work ok.
There are ramps that are very short in the US, too. In fact there are ones on I-90 30km from my house. But longer ramps tend to be safer. And the short ramps in the US are only there because making longer ramps isn't feasible (because cities). If they can build longer ramps, they [the Chinese transportation people] should.
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #694
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartlake View Post
There are ramps that are very short in the US, too. In fact there are ones on I-90 30km from my house. But longer ramps tend to be safer. And the short ramps in the US are only there because making longer ramps isn't feasible (because cities). If they can build longer ramps, they [the Chinese transportation people] should.
Yea, there are some very short ramps in the area I live, (around 5 miles) and everywhere around the Bay Area. Longer ramps are indeed safer.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #695
Geokioy

Likes (Received): 1

Nice highways
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #696
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
They only look nice because they are ashpalt. Concrete highways last much longer and resist the ruts better than asphalt. I will give you the fact that asphalt looks nice, but they are not durable. Most heavily travelled HWs in the US are concrete or in the process of becoming concrete. Oh, and also, a lot of the entrance ramps look fine now, but once China gets more traffic on theses highways these ramps will become impossible--that is to say that the entering traffic lanes won't be long enough to allow the cars to merge in safely. I'm sorry, but these HWs are accidents waiting to happen.
Asphalt roads are much more comfortable to drive and it's easier to repair them. Concrete doesn't last forever and when you need to repair it, it's a pain in the ass. And you are overreacting. Accidents waiting to happen?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #697
smartlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Asphalt roads are much more comfortable to drive and it's easier to repair them. Concrete doesn't last forever and when you need to repair it, it's a pain in the ass. And you are overreacting. Accidents waiting to happen?
Well China is growing very fast (economically/financially) so this'll bring a lot more traffic, I am guessing. The short ramps are fine now, but considering how much people China has to put on to these roads, they IMO should have planned for longer entrance ramps....this is where (for me at least) most of the troubles with freeways arise (as in short, confusing or otherwise odd entrance ramps).
And about the aphalt/concrete issue, you are certainly right about asphalt being more comfortable (and also cheaper) but I believe that concrete must be more durable (or else highways wouldn't be converted to them). I think its reasonable to say that the Chinese will have some infastructure issues in the future.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:13 AM   #698
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
(or else highways wouldn't be converted to them).

American highways?
I don't know for sure, but I think that although concrete is predominant, there are freeways made of asphast in the US too, aren't there?

Here in Portugal (the same goes for Spain, France and Italy, for example) almost all of the freeways have an asphalt pavement, which is much smoother than concrete.

There are some concrete freeway in here too, but their pavement is generally much worst. The big advantage of concrete is that it needs less maintenance, but even so, alphast is preferred in most cases, and I'm glad for that!
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:06 AM   #699
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

We only have concrete in tunnels. I dunno why, btw.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:23 AM   #700
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Probably to avoid doing works inside the tunnels, as concrete needs less maintenance.