daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:25 AM   #701
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Well, nevertheless, you couldn't get away from them last year, sorry.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2007, 02:40 AM   #702
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Those works were probably the main reason why I didn't pass by Ljubljana, taking the norther route through Austria instead, avoiding possible traffic jams arriving at Ljubljana because of those tunnel works, as you warned me.
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #703
smartlake

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
American highways?
I don't know for sure, but I think that although concrete is predominant, there are freeways made of asphast in the US too, aren't there?

Here in Portugal (the same goes for Spain, France and Italy, for example) almost all of the freeways have an asphalt pavement, which is much smoother than concrete.

There are some concrete freeway in here too, but their pavement is generally much worst. The big advantage of concrete is that it needs less maintenance, but even so, alphast is preferred in most cases, and I'm glad for that!

Oh, certainly there are asphalt highways. In fact, most rural hws are. Concrete is only the cities where, the consistent and costly repairs are more difficult to do. And, concrete highways can be decent, too.
smartlake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #704
theworldshallcry
BAMMED

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
How the hell would they build an expressway through the Karakorum to Tajikistan and Pakistan? :O
Don't ask. They built the Great Wall -- I'm sure they'll figure out a way.
theworldshallcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #705
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
I dont like these freeways,, i dont know, they look ugly..
Err. . . you sure you live in Cali? Have you seen our freeways its bad. Its so poorly maintained that I can crack my rims on the 5 freeway(LA area). Debris and Trash are also a common sight like at the central divider or emergency lanes. Chinese freeways are similar in style like those in Europe and Japan and I can say those two places both have better looking freeways than USA.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #706
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

double post
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #707
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
How the hell would they build an expressway through the Karakorum to Tajikistan and Pakistan? :O
It will be like the Greek Highway System. I guess there is going to be a lot of bridges and tunnels. Maybe they will find some archeological treasures like the long lost mausoleums of many emperors

Greek Highway System Thread
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #708
Prodigist
High-derabaD

Likes (Received): 219

These are some really impressive highways...... And fact that they were all built in a very quik time makes it even more impressive....
But i jus dont like them cos they lack the human touch and that they dont blend with their surroundings
Prodigist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #709
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

there is already a "highway" through the karakorum....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakorum_highway

in the wiki article, they state that they want to widen the highway from 10 m to 30 m (2 to 4 lanes)

"On June 30, 2006, a memorandum of understanding was signed between the Pakistani Highway Administration and China's State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission (SASAC) to rebuild and upgrade the KKH. According to SASAC, the width of the highway will be expanded from 10 meters to 30 meters, and its transport capacity will be increased three times. As well, the upgraded road will be constructed to particularly accommodate heavy-laden vehicles and extreme weather conditions"

Last edited by pflo777; June 7th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #710
asfar
-----

Likes (Received): 43

by far the BEST highways ive EVER SEEN!!!
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #711
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18203

China Fujian Expressway plans $1.85 bln expansion

SHANGHAI, June 27 (Reuters) - Chinese highway operator Fujian Expressway Development Co. said on Wednesday it would expand a highway in the southeastern province of Fujian at a total cost of 14.1 billion yuan ($1.85 billion).

Fujian Expressway will invest roughly 2 billion yuan of its own money in the project, with the remainder coming from other sources, it said without elaborating.

The project would add 229 kilometres (143 miles) to the existing highway, linking three major cities in the province -- Fuzhou, Quanzhou and Xiamen -- by completion in 2010.

Construction, which is subject to shareholders' approval, is due to start before the end of the year, the company added. ($1=7.615 Yuan)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #712
oriental_horizon

Likes (Received): 3

Its good the Fj government is thinking about infrastructure. If and when the transport links are open with Taiwan, it will ensure that infrastructure is capable for a massive influx of goods and services.
oriental_horizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #713
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Most Chinese expressways between cities are only 2x2 lanes. With a population of 1300 mln that is gonna give problems when China will be mass-motorized.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #714
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ Chris1491

The difference between American and Chinese travel patterns is that Americans love to travel long distances on their car but the Chinese are the opposite. Those videos or pics illustrating China's exploding car-market where one can see clogged highways, roads and streets are true only in the cities. Rural Chinese roads are still largely under-used. But, sooner or later that would change and, eventually, Chinese "car-culture" would become more similar to their American counterparts. However, China's advantage is that it has aggressively expanded its high-speed railway network alongside its expressway network expansion. Therefore, there is a dualism in the modes of transportation that its more than 1.3 billion people can use.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; June 27th, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #715
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

they look very impressive, very good, but thatīs mainyl because the asphalt and when it gets older they wonīt look that impressive anymore. I donīt like that much that there is grass and plants in the middledivider, i only have seen motorways without plants in the middle divider in bulgaria and Serbia, i am not talking about concrete middle dividers though.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #716
Jiangwho

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzkiller View Post

Last edited by Jiangwho; August 9th, 2007 at 02:49 AM.
Jiangwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #717
badguy2000

Likes (Received): 5

[CN] China's ambitious plan of expressway

Chinese expressway includes two parts: urban ringroad/expressway and intercity expressway. Urban ringway/expressway usually has better quality than intercity expressway. But "expressway" in China usually only means "intercity expressway".

No data of Chinese urban ringroad/expressway is available,although the length of those urban ringroad/expressway is also quite considerable.

urban ringroad/expressway

intercity expressway

Urban ringroad/expressway are ususally invested by local urban administrations

Intercity expressway-net are invested by center government or co-invested by center government and local administrations.

Excluding urban ringroad/expressway ,Chinese intercity expressway-net is about 45000 KM long in 2006,only behind USA.But every year ,5000 KM intercity expressway is finished.

USA's interstate expressway-net is about 85000 KM long. So, Chinese intercity expressway-net may exceed USA's interstate expressway-net in a decade.

the third longest expressway-net belongs to German. It is only about 15000 KM long,far far behind USA and China.but its quality is the best.
badguy2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #718
badguy2000

Below are some pictures of the highway in Chinese country side. I am not saying the whole China is developed(In fact, it is not practical), but the country side is not that backward as you thought..

intercity expressway

Ringroad/urban expressway in Chinese cities

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 856x571 and weights 77KB.

World's longest highway (550km) inside world 2nd largest mobile desert Talimu in Xinjiang. And China is building another longer one (maybe it's already built.)

Service centers along the highway

Chinese highway development plan
5,000 km new highway is added this map every year

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1000x678 and weights 153KB.
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #719
badguy2000

when travelling in a long distance, Chinese would take trains or jets rather than take autos in expressway. So you find that it is usually quite empty in intercity expressway while crowded in ringroad/urban expressway in cities.
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #720
Occit
Non-Westerner White @.cn

Likes (Received): 2893

Wonderful highways!