daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #1001
oliver999
starwar

Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
ELEPHANTS IN CHINA!?!? How did they got there? They better place a new sign called "Elephants Crossing"

I wonder if these highways are also accessible to the wildlife especially to a family or a herd of animals such as these ones?
china has wild elephant in xishuangbaina natural protection zone yunnan province. 在我国云南西双版纳的的原始森林里面就有野生的亚洲象!为我国Ⅰ级保护动物
by the way i wanna a riding on his back.

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #1002
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Pictures are incredible and the elephents are so cute
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM   #1003
marki
Moon Transit

Likes (Received): 700

Driving in China

Many reading this thread, especially me, would be really happy to know what the current stance on driving in China. Theres conflicting/outdated accounts but the trend is likely to allow foreigners to drive. The expressways and scenery is wonderful and many of us have driven in other countries with traffic conditions like China. There are some people here who are may happen to pass by a PSB, Chinese traffic bureau office or facilitation company. It's much harder for non-Chinese to find out. The following information would really be appreciated:
1. Chinese drivers license, without residency requirement (or IDP acceptance or not)
2. Driving a foreign car into/through China from the Russian, Lao or Vietnam border (Carnet de passage, insurance etc)
Let us know which particular office it is too, so we can either use/avoid it depending on their local policy.

I have found several companies with websites offering to facilitate Chinese Drivers Licences (claiming they are not fakes), anyone had experiences with these?

I'll be visiting again (hopefully driving) in China this year so I'll also post anything I find out.

Thanks,
Mark
marki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:56 AM   #1004
oliver999
starwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Many reading this thread, especially me, would be really happy to know what the current stance on driving in China. Theres conflicting/outdated accounts but the trend is likely to allow foreigners to drive. The expressways and scenery is wonderful and many of us have driven in other countries with traffic conditions like China. There are some people here who are may happen to pass by a PSB, Chinese traffic bureau office or facilitation company. It's much harder for non-Chinese to find out. The following information would really be appreciated:
1. Chinese drivers license, without residency requirement (or IDP acceptance or not)
2. Driving a foreign car into/through China from the Russian, Lao or Vietnam border (Carnet de passage, insurance etc)
Let us know which particular office it is too, so we can either use/avoid it depending on their local policy.

I have found several companies with websites offering to facilitate Chinese Drivers Licences (claiming they are not fakes), anyone had experiences with these?

I'll be visiting again (hopefully driving) in China this year so I'll also post anything I find out.

Thanks,
Mark
i wish i could borrow my licence to you,lol. anyway wish you a nice car trip in china with a GPS
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:05 PM   #1005
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

As much as you may wish to rend a car and drive across China, don't. Unless you're a metropolitian cab driver.

The Third Ring makes the 401 look like a stroller party.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #1006
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Facts & figures: Transport in China

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_7776528.htm

Quote:
www.chinaview.cn 2008-03-12 21:17:49

BEIJING, March 12 (Xinhua) -- China has announced a plan to organize a bigger transport ministry, expected to improve efficiency and avoid traffic chaos like that caused by the snow havoc before this year's Spring Festival.

The following are basic information about the means of transport the new ministry will cover, including road, air and water transit. It is not that strong to incorporate railways.

ROADS

China has 3.57 million kilometers of roads. As of the end of 2007, there were 53,600 km of expressways, the second largest amount in the world after the United States, which has 89,000 km.

There were 21 provincial regions with expressway networks exceeding 1,000 km. Henan and Shandong had more than 4,000 km of expressway each, while Jiangsu and Guangdong each had 3,000 to 4,000 km.

From 2002 to 2007, China built 28,000 km of expressways. Last year alone, the length built and opened stood at 8,300 km, more than the total length of expressways in Japan (7,000 km). China plans to build at least 5,000 km more this year and aims for a total length of 85,000 km by 2020.

Rural roads have reached 88 percent of all administrative villages and 98.5 percent of rural towns. Last year, 423,000 km of rural roads were built or upgraded.

Medog in the southeastern part of the Tibet Autonomous Region is the last county in China without a highway; construction of one is scheduled this year.

AVAITION

In 2002, the government merged the nine largest airlines into three regional groups based in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, respectively: Air China, China Eastern Airlines and China Southern Airlines.

Air China and Hong Kong's leading carrier, Cathay Pacific Airways, hold stakes of about 17.5 percent in each other to improve efficiency and international route coverage.

Last year, 148 mainland airports handled 387.59 million passengers and 8.61 million tons of cargo and mail, up 16.8 percent and 14.3 percent year-on-year, respectively, according to the General Administration of Civil Aviation.

Beijing Capital International Airport, the country's largest and busiest, handled 53.47 million passengers last year, putting it among the world's 10 busiest.

Its new Terminal 3, a major expansion project undertaken in preparation for an anticipated surge in passengers during the Olympics, had its first commercial flight after opening on Feb. 29.

With a floor space of 986,000 square meters -- more than double the total area of the first two terminals -- the new building could be the largest of its kind in the world, said construction manager Fan Jun.

The airport is expected to receive about 5.56 million people during the Olympic Games in August.

China is also upgrading several standby airports near Beijing for the Olympics by renovating terminals, enlarging tarmacs, lengthening runways and improving services.

PORTS

China has more than 1,400 ports with 35,000 berths, including 1,200 berths that accommodate 10,000-deadweight ton ships. It has 14 ports with an annual throughput of 100 million tons each. No other country has more such ports.

The cargo throughput of Shanghai, China's largest harbor, reached 560 million tons in 2007, ranking first in the world for the third straight year. It now has 42 20-foot-equivalent unit piers and routes to more than 300 ports worldwide.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1007
big-dog

some newly built or U/C expressways

connection between Beijing Aiport T2 and T3

to be continued...
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #1008
big-dog

Zhongdian expressway construction pics

忠垫高速
Located in Sichuan province
Length: 75.186km
Construction started: 2004
4 large bridges and 11 tunnels, 4 lanes, 120km limit

UPDATE: it's been finished on 12.28.2007, 1 year ahead of schedule.
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #1009
big-dog

Fuyan Expressway U/C

富砚高速, Located in Yunnan province, 142.532km

The_Knight_rider, Peloso liked this post
Old March 18th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #1010
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #1011
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Definatly the expressway mecca.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #1012
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

What does it say at the tops of those tunnel portals?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #1013
big-dog

name of the tunnel
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #1014
big-dog

Xihan expressway aerial pics

Built: Sep 2007
Length: 255km (66% bridges/tunnels)

Laogu Kou

Tunnel No.1

Old March 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #1015
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

wow...cool great picture and big-dog was good job
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1016
oliver999
starwar

Old March 31st, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1017
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Is that haze a smog?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM   #1018
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Is that haze a smog?
Most likely. My friend worked in China last summer, and he visited several cities. In the bigger ones (like Beijing, Shanghai) he said it often gets as dark during the day as late evening in many other places because of the air pollution
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:52 AM   #1019
big-dog

Beijing is getting much better now you can see from the WTC III and CCTV HQ thread. Shanghai and Guanzhou are still under heavy pollution.

The major reason is electricity generation by coal and factory emissions. I assume this situation can only change when China becomes more developed.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1020
big-dog

more aerial photos