daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #1141
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

hope the same for India

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #1142
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
well, the enviromental parties in the Netherlands are upset about every increase of traffic, while they add 27 times the entire Dutch car stock per year in emissions. Kinda hypocrite, but they know they stand a chance in Europe, and not in China.
The Dutch environmental parties can't do anything about China, but they can do something about the pollution in the Netherlands.

We need a new Kyoto that limits greenhouse gas emissions in China, India, and Russia in addition to the developed world.
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #1143
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Likes (Received): 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The Dutch environmental parties can't do anything about China, but they can do something about the pollution in the Netherlands.

We need a new Kyoto that limits greenhouse gas emissions in China, India, and Russia in addition to the developed world.
China emission per capita is far lower than any country western country, so if china need to reduce it, than any western country should reduce more
Kenwen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #1144
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

That's the problem with China: they have so much people, that calculating per capita doesn't really make sense because a big part of the population lives in the countryside, causing only minor pollution. In normal figures about pollution China is a major polluter.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #1145
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licit Mortal View Post
Dear friends,

I just had a look at all the pictures in the first part and I am absolutely amazed by the quality of the highways in China. They are so extensive and aesthetically brilliant.

Are all the highways and express ways in China concertized or asphalt concrete based? Also, how do they maintain the landscaping on the highways and on the side hills of such extensive highways? If they have dedicated people to travel along these highways and maintain these landscaping every week or once in a fortnight, then such a disciplined routine deserves a big salute.

Great job China!
All the expressways I've seen are asphalt. They have teams of workers maintain the landscaping, you can see them working every day with pruning bushes, sweeping the road, and planting trees. I think they get the workers from the local towns, most of the workers I've seen have peasant clothing instead of a company worker's official clothing.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #1146
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Construction to start on city's first green expressway

Quote:
By Chen Xingjie | 2008-10-15 |

SHANGHAI will start construction of its first ecologically friendly expressway by the year's end to link Chongming Island with Qidong, a coastal city in neighboring Jiangsu Province.

The proposal was approved yesterday by the Ministry of Transport and the highway is expected to be completed by 2012.

It marks the final phase of the Shanghai-Chongming-Jiangsu Connection Project which will link Shanghai and Xi'an, capital of Shaanxi Province.

Together with the Yangtze Tunnel and Bridge project, which is being built between Shanghai's Pudong New Area and Chongming Island via Changxing Island, the Chongming-Qidong Expressway will form a significant intercity fast track at the mouth of Yangtze River and greatly shorten transport time between Shanghai and east Jiangsu, according to the proposal.

A trip from downtown Shanghai to Qidong will be cut to 1.5 hours from 2.5 hours with the travel distance reduced to 110 kilometers from 200 kilometers.

The six-lane Chongming-Qidong Expressway, spanning 53 kilometers, will start from the Yangtze Tunnel and Bridge project in Chongming and stretches north to connect to the Nanjing-Nantong-Qidong Expressway in Qidong. It includes three parts: the Beizhi Bridge project, a road connection to Chongming and a road link to Qidong. Thirty-one kilometers of the road will be in Shanghai with the remainder in Jiangsu.

Since the expressway will go through ecologically sensitive forests and wetlands on Chongming Island, a series of environmental protection measures will be adopted to reduce its impact on the ecology, according to the proposal.

For example, the construction schedule will be arranged to minimize its affect on animal mating seasons and fish migration. Twenty to 40 percent less land will be used for road construction than normal. And the noise on the road will be reduced by two to three decibels.

Chongming Island, China's third largest, sits in the center of the mouth of the Yangtze River, which separates Shanghai and northern Jiangsu Province.
The city government has plans to develop the island into an ecology-based resort and residential area over the next few years.
(ShanghaiDaily.com)
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #1147
Peloso

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
That's the problem with China: they have so much people, that calculating per capita doesn't really make sense because a big part of the population lives in the countryside, causing only minor pollution. In normal figures about pollution China is a major polluter.
You're badly disinformed (and this doesn't surprise me given your place of origin). Even in absolute terms, the USA are by far the biggest polluters in the world, and the biggest burners of oil. If you also keep in mind that China produces commodities for all the world, whereas the USA are already a minor exporter, then you get an idea of who's wasting the most resources. So it's true, we need a new Kyoto, and guess who's always blocking the agreements towards a sustainable development? His surname starts by the letter "B"...
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...521153,00.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060701460.html

Last edited by Peloso; October 20th, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #1148
big-dog

1580km Shanghai-Shaanxi expressway to complete on Oct 31 2008

Running through Qinling mountains, it is one of the most difficult expressways ever built in China. pictures taken on 10.19

(http://news.sina.com.cn/c/p/2008-10-...16487204.shtml)
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #1149
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I believe China has overtaken the US in absolute terms recently. Per capita, the US is still worse ofcourse. But both countries are still a huge difference, the US is a nearly 100% modernized nation, while China still has a long way to go.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #1150
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

China's emissions are decreasing along with the modernization and the shift from a production based economy to a consumer based one. In fact, China has some of the most strict environmental policies in the world.
It will probably remain a smaller polluter (per capita of course, it's ridiculous to compare in other terms than that) than all Western nations forever.
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:09 AM   #1151
UMSHK

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post

Thats unacceptable. India is as rich as Nicaragua and China is as rich as Guatemala. There's no way that the severely obese US (20 tons CO2 per person) can demand China (4 tons) and India (1 ton) to lose weight.
UMSHK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #1152
big-dog

10.14.2008 Xi'an-Ankang expressway

Xi'an-Ankang expressway is about to finish after 5-year construction. photos taken 10.14 by xinhuanet.

Old October 24th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1153
UMSHK

Likes (Received): 1

Are there any plans of a freeway from Chongqing/Chengdu to Lhasa?
UMSHK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1154
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6894

There's plans from Xining to Lhasa, Chongqing/Chengdu to Lhasa may be added at a later stage, but it would recieve very little traffic, so I don't see it as necessary.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1155
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
These speed limits are so dumb. So if I wanna drive 111 km/h, I must drive on the leftmost lane and thus block all those who wanna drive 120 km/h.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #1156
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Or you just stay on the lane in which the limit is 110 km/h and violate the speed limit with 1 km/h. And why the hell would you wanna drive 111 km/h instead of 110 km/h Anyway, it's still insane
Old October 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1157
uwhuskies

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
These speed limits are so dumb. So if I wanna drive 111 km/h, I must drive on the leftmost lane and thus block all those who wanna drive 120 km/h.
I suspect that you can drive in either lane 1 or 2 (as measured from the jersey barrier) because 10 kph is probably within speed radar's margin of error. These posted speed limits are probably intended to do the opposite of what you are suggesting by limiting the far left lane to higher performance vehicles that can easily maintain 120 kph (which isn't that fast for most newer vehicles).
uwhuskies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #1158
big-dog

Jingdezheng-Wuyuan-Huangshan expressway

The whole project will complete by the end of 2008

Jiangxi section, photos by 婺源吴老师

rest area

a village

Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:55 AM   #1159
oliver999