daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Spire or no Spire?
Spire 185 51.68%
No Spire 173 48.32%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #81
Dancer

Likes (Received): 253

It depends on the building to me. I like the spires on buildings when it looks good. Some buildings do it just for extra hight and look funny.

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM   #82
Liz L

Likes (Received): 0

I agree that spires shouldn't be counted for height unless they're a part of the structure, so the spires on Chrysler or the ESB, for instance, should count, while the antenna farm on top of the Sears tower shouldn't.

I also realize that many architects don't do spires well AT ALL, and seem to use up every shred of imagination, poor things, before they reach the last few stories. This is no doubt why so many spires on 'scrapers these days look like they were tacked on as hasty afterthoughts, thrown together to use some leftover material the contractor couldn't get a refund on, or went up as the money began to run out...

Still, all things considered, if the architects know what they're doing, I'll take a spire any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

I say this because I'm SICK TO DEATH of flat, bland, sawed-off roofs that kill height and ignore the sky. OTOH, a graceful spire is a final touch of majesty and drama that helps a tower use every inch of height to complete its leap from earth to clouds...simply joyous and (pardon a pun, please?) inspiring!

I think I can use the two breathtaking spires on my avatar to rest my case..

Last edited by Liz L; November 2nd, 2005 at 03:58 AM.
Liz L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:17 AM   #83
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I think Sears would looks very out of place without it's antennas though.

Its hard to say. Ive only been in the Sears once and i dont see it frequently (although i used to) and it seems that without the the antennas the building looks much more foreboding and ominous, most likely because there is no light red or white to constrast with the black. And then again, it may just be because im used to seeing the Sears with antennas
mr_storms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #84
Liz L

You have a point there, chad... , though I was referring to height bragging rights, not looks...

And that antenna farm DOES look impressive cutting thorugh a bank of swirling clouds...
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #85
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

depend on the design and how it will looks like

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #86
reignman
+90 TR - Eurasia

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
Is there any chance you can do the same imaging with the John Hancock building without spires? I would be very curious to see it.
Here it is:

I think it looks weird without spires(or antennas, whatever)

I voted for "spire"s. They add it for design not for their egos.
reignman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #87
kroteeni

There needs not to be classifications what is the highest building. Come on people that is for tabloids. Tallest building with antennas or spire , Highest upper flower

I would not have any problems with having two or three different classifications.

Spire or no spire it depends how nice it looks. It should be an artwork , even more so if more people have to see it because it is so tall. I don't care if the towers are necessarily the highest in the world or not. Canada trust tower looks like someone accidentally ordered a truck load too much of steel and they decided "pimp up" the stuff on the roof. Ugly. Rather a shorter nicer tower than an ugly tall one.
kroteeni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:02 AM   #88
Diode
Per Aspera ad Astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz L
I agree that spires shouldn't be counted for height unless they're a part of the structure, so the spires on Chrysler or the ESB, for instance, should count, while the antenna farm on top of the Sears tower shouldn't.

... I think I can use the two breathtaking spires on my avatar to rest my case..
Interesting that the two buildings you and others cite as examples of buildings with great spires, both were originally designed and built WITHOUT those same spires, at least in their current form.
Diode no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #89
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

spires/ antenna's shouldn't be counted for the total building height, look at petronas towers compared to the sears tower, the sears tower is obviously taller. but spires are necessary to complete the whole structure, like the chrysler building and the empire state building.
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #90
HoustonTexas
Nassau Bay

Likes (Received): 2

Only if its a Building ornament, but I don't like them.

Myspace
HoustonTexas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #91
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

This poll is pretty dumb because when your talking about a spire it depends 100% on the building. Like ya spires can be used as a cheap way to add height to a building but then again could you imagine the Chysler w/o its spire? Of course not because that building was born to have one.
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:27 PM   #92
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

i actually like john hancook without it's antenae. It lloks more modern and futuristic IMHO
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM   #93
ssjlkrillin

I think the concept of spires/antennae have been misconstrued. The Sears Tower is measured from ground level to the roof (1,454 ft). That is the official measurement. Antennae do not form an integral part of the structure, therefore, they cannot account for the total height of the building. Spires, on the other hand, are an aesthetic accessory (at least antennae are functional); I don't think they should be included in the height calculations either. I believe that it should be at the roof of the highest occupied floor and/or where the building's structural integrity remains constant (within 75-80%) of the rest of the structure at ground level. The spires on the Petronas Towers can snap off and it will have no effect whatsoever on the rest of the building. The Sears Tower's roofline clearly surpassed the last occupied floor of the Petronas Towers by a good deal. I say no spires in the height measurements (they cheat). If that's the case, antennae should be used; The Sears Tower could reclaim the title with 1,707 ft.
ssjlkrillin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 05:55 PM   #94
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

I like a mixture of buildings, some with spires, some without. BUT, I do not consider
antennaes to be a spire, as they are in some cities... it has to be a properly designed
tapering spire.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM   #95
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28165

Sears and John Hancock look a lot better to me without the spires. These spires are ugly.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #96
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Sears and John Hancock look a lot better to me without the spires. These spires are ugly.
Sears and John Hancock don't have spires.

Last edited by Jules; February 25th, 2006 at 10:12 PM.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #97
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Yes. And they would look horrible without them.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #98
weird
vagamundo

No spire, but some buildings deserve spire.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #99
RAPTOR X TYPE

Spyre is the Cherry on the cake, but of course not all cakes need cherries
RAPTOR X TYPE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:56 PM   #100
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjlkrillin
I think the concept of spires/antennae have been misconstrued. The Sears Tower is measured from ground level to the roof (1,454 ft). That is the official measurement. Antennae do not form an integral part of the structure, therefore, they cannot account for the total height of the building. Spires, on the other hand, are an aesthetic accessory (at least antennae are functional); I don't think they should be included in the height calculations either. I believe that it should be at the roof of the highest occupied floor and/or where the building's structural integrity remains constant (within 75-80%) of the rest of the structure at ground level. The spires on the Petronas Towers can snap off and it will have no effect whatsoever on the rest of the building. The Sears Tower's roofline clearly surpassed the last occupied floor of the Petronas Towers by a good deal. I say no spires in the height measurements (they cheat). If that's the case, antennae should be used; The Sears Tower could reclaim the title with 1,707 ft.

It's 1730 Ft up to top of the antennas
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote