daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #121
ASupertall4SD

Likes (Received): 2

LAX is certainly not right next to downtown LA. TRUST YOU ME. It is quite a distance. There is hope though for SD. There was discussion that perhaps we may be lifting that restriction as it is a result of an outdated and unused approach path. we shall see.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ASupertall4SD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #122
sandiego_bound
Big luv 4 higher buildins

Likes (Received): 9

ok I just mapquested it and it is pretty far (18.6 miles), but the way CNN made it seem with the airplane flying so close to Downtown LA it made it seem like it was like right downtown. My bad!

sandiego_bound no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #123
sandiego_bound

I can not wait to see all of the projects in the East Village finished.

Last edited by sandiego_bound; February 11th, 2006 at 06:58 AM.
Old February 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #124
sandiego_bound

Aye people good news! San Diego's very own Library Tower is going to jump in height 20 feet, from 480 to 500 feet!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!!

Old February 12th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #125
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

I know isn't that great? (if true). Its going to be a great addition to that side of the city, we're at the moment the Omni dominates.

SDfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #126
sandiego_bound

I know it is true, that is the good thing! At Library Tower's sales office it listed it!

Old February 13th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #127
SDfan

Well I hope it is. At least 500ft is better then anything lower then that.

Old February 13th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #128
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_bound
Aye people good news! San Diego's very own Library Tower is going to jump in height 20 feet, from 480 to 500 feet!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!.!!
ohh wow that's really cool.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #129
sandiego_bound

Date: January 30, 2006
619-533-7103
danziger @ ccdc.com

CCDC Purchases Future Fire Station Site
CCDC PURCHASES FUTURE FIRE STATION SITE
Bayside Station part of overall downtown life-safety improvement program

SAN DIEGO, CA—Centre City Development Corporation (CCDC) completed a $2.5 million purchase of the 10,000 square-foot site at the southeast corner of Cedar and Pacific Highway for the first of two new downtown fire stations. Known as the Bayside Station, the purchase is part of a $253 million development impact fee program to improve the public realm downtown with seven new parks and two new fire stations.

“This is a very important step in our overall goal to create a better quality of life downtown,” said Mayor Jerry Sanders. “It is important to match the intensity of new development with an appropriate level of life safety infrastructure.”

The Bayside Station will house 12 Fire-Rescue personnel, provide underground parking, and feature three bays including space for an emergency medical service vehicle. CCDC is currently working with the City to purchase a site for another new fire station at 13th and 14th streets and Broadway. No construction timeline has been set for either project. Financing for the two stations will come from tax increment and Development Impact Fees.

CCDC President Nancy Graham, who brought a renewed focus on public safety to downtown from her time as mayor in West Palm Beach, Florida, commented on the collaboration with San Diego’s Fire-Rescue Department in selecting the sites. “We’re committed to the safety of downtown’s residents, businesses and visitors,” Graham said. “We worked closely with Fire-Rescue staff to pick locations that would ensure the fastest response times. We’re not only looking at our current needs, but also the City’s anticipated future growth.” Graham said downtown’s exemplary response times, coupled with stringent sprinkler requirements in all new highrises, makes it a very well-protected community.

In addition to the Bayside Station, East Village Station #4 may get a brand new look as part of the Cosmopolitan Square mixed-use project on the block bounded by J Street, Seventh, Eighth and Island avenues. The replacement station would feature three bays and room for 12 Fire-Rescue personnel, and could begin construction in late 2006.

Old February 14th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #130
sbaumberger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_bound
OK, I just posted this in the West Coast forum, and it seems that this thread gets a little more traffic:

What you're probably reading is 500'-0" above mean sea level. I think the elevation of that site is about 15-20 feet so the original true height of Library Tower at 480'-485' is probably still correct. FWIW, Mondrian is also 500'-0" tall (above mean sea level) - but the highest grade on the site is about 80', so the height of the building above the sidewalk is 420'-0", and that is the dimension that most people use to measure the height of a building. The FAA's height limit is based on height above mean sea level.

sbaumberger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #131
sandiego_bound

09-26-2005, 08:08 PM
J Church
Super Moderator Join Date: Jan 2002

San Diego Floating Airport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Floating airport idea is promoted
UNION-TRIBUNE
September 23, 2005

ESCONDIDO – What appeared to be the beginning of a public-relations campaign by a group advocating a $5 billion to $10 billion floating airport off the San Diego coast kicked off yesterday with a demonstration at a business here.

A group that calls itself Euphlotea – the middle syllable is pronounced "float" – maintains that a floating airport is the most economical and best option for replacing Lindbergh Field. Such a concept was rejected two years ago by the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority.

Yesterday's demonstration featured a small model, made from $173 worth of material, floating in a research pool at Offshore Model Basin, an Escondido company that does research on ship and oil platform designs. The demonstration was intended primarily to increase awareness of the possibility of an offshore airport, Euphlotea spokesman Adam Englund said.

Englund, an attorney from Encinitas, said his group wants to circulate a petition for a ballot initiative to compete against the November 2006 measure the airport board is working on. Euphlotea's plans can be found at www.floatingairport.org

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #132
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 3

Lookin good

ChiLooper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #133
sandiego_bound

Sweet...three weeks until I move to San Diego!!!! Can not wait!!!

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #134
SDfan

You should go to the SD development page in the West Coast section. Their is a full post with all the major projects 20 stories+ on page 13, and news on a UTC project with two 32 story towers.

Old March 14th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #135
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

I forget this thread exists.

hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #136
sd_urban

Likes (Received): 11

It's time to update this thread -

MONDRIAN - Mixed-use/825+ Units/39 Floors
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaumberger
Finally, here are the seven views of the proposed Mondrian project located on the full block bounded by 8th & 9th, A & B Sts.:

Overall view from northwest (Vantage Pointe in background left):

Overall view from southeast:

Blowup view of southeast corner 1:

Blowup view of southeast corner 2:

Blowup view of southwest corner:

Blowup view of northwest corner:

Blowup view of northeast corner:
Conversion of Maryland Hotel (circa 1900)

SB Architects is leading the effort to convert this historic hotel property in the heart of San Diego's Gaslamp District into a chic, four-star boutique hotel. The six-story structure is being completely redesigned, with the goal of creating not only a hip downtown hotel, but a social destination for local visitors as well.

An indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar will define the property's prominent corner location on the ground floor, while a more private bar and lounge at the other end of this floor will lead, via a circular stair, to a basement-level nightclub. A more private roof deck will house a pool, bar, cabanas and indoor/outdoor function area.

All of the rooms and suites are arranged to overlook either the street life below, or two interior atrium spaces -- one with an operable skylight, and one open to the sky. Most of the rooms opening onto the atriums will have balconies overlooking these private outdoor spaces.

The project is currently under construction with a projected opening in late 2006.

FRONT & ASH - Mixed-use/177 units/12 floors

16TH & MARKET - Mixed-use/136 units/12 floors/

16TH & ISLAND - Mixed-use/240 units/10 floors

LA JOLLA COMMONS (UTC Area) - Three towers
Mandarin Oriental Condotel/32 Floors/350'
Residential Tower/32 Floors/348'
Office Tower/15 Floors/220'

Last edited by sd_urban; March 16th, 2006 at 08:58 AM.
sd_urban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #137
sd_urban

Likes (Received): 11

Another webcam update courtesy of bushman61988-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988
Smart Corner

THere are much more realistic renderings, but this was all i could find...

Now that the garage is completed, this project is shooting up real fast and construction is already on the 6th floor with the resedential tower, while the office building construction seems to be going a bit slower with work barely on the 3rd floor. Hopefully this building won't have too much of that ugly exposed concrete look.

Park Terrace

Building work is on the 15th floor (if there is one) and should be topped off real soon. This project will definitely be ready by 2007, and hopefully paintwork will begin soon.

Nexus

Construction is on the 8th or 9th floor and should be ready to be topped off in less than a month.

Market Street Village

Very Simple Rendering

Building are already topped out and need exterior work and everything.

Legend

Judging by how fast the garage went up, the tower should be movin along too, and should be finished in late 2006 or early 2007.

Icon

Like someone said earlier, this project sprung up overnight and work is already up to the 16th floor of the main tower. a great addition to the ballpark district.

Hard Rock Hotel

Garage work is complete, and now work is beginning on the first floors. Looks on schedule.

Element
[/URL]

Horrible Rendering

IMO, I really thought that this building was gonna be another hideous, gray block just like Fahrenheit, but the rendering does no justice on the reality of how this building really does look. I love how creative they were with the paint, and i really love this tower.

Electra

It really seems like the work is slow, but maybe because it's so hard to work around the preserved historic power plant. the garage seems like it's gradually making its way to the top and when work on the actual tower begins, it should emerge quickly.

Alta

Old, 17 story rendering.

I think the plans for raising the number of floors from 17 to 21 was approved, and that means the tower height should go up from 200-230 feet easy. Works going real fast, too.

Diamondview Tower

I thought the relatively slow office market downtown would slow down constrcution, but not a chance. The garage looks completed and the tower is set to be finished late 2006 to early 2007. Seems everything in the new Ballpark District is going up quickly.

Aria

The garage was built in a good amount of time, and slowly but surely it'll rise up and shoot up again w/ work on the tower (based on other buildings downtown).

Vantage Point

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz....no new work yet...i think that hole in the ground has been there for the last 6 months.

TR Produce

UGLY UGLY UGLY

Let's hope the reality of the office-condos will be better than the renderings.

The Mark

Tower's going up real fast and looks real nice so far.

sd_urban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #138
_zner_
Optional Information

Likes (Received): 78

wow.. i miss SD..

_zner_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #139
Robert Stark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Can someone please find and update the SF thread?

Robert Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #140
SDfan

Updated Project List (Third Quater 2006):

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:

Ivy Hotel

Smart Corner

Aperture

Park Terrace

Vantage Pointe

Nexus

Icon

Hilton Hotel

Residence Inn (?)

Hard Rock Hotel

Diegan Hotel

Breeza

Aria

Alta

Marriott Renaissance

The Mark

The Legend

Diamond View

Electra

Cosmopalitian

Pier

Sappire Tower

Market Street Village

Current (Hanover Apartments)

Courthouse Expansion

PROPOSED AND/OR APPROVED:

Triangle

Main Library

Bayside

Pacific Hwy & E

Embassy1414

Pinnacle Project

Strata

Library Tower

Mondrian

MetroLive

Front & Ash

16th & Market

16th and Island

Echelon

17th & G (Avion)

Pacific Gateway

17th & G (intercorp)

India & Beech

UNKNOWN:

Bosa Project

SDCC

Citi Point

11th & B

Two America Plaza

Ballpark Village

Pacific Pointe

Spinnaker Hotel

Laudry Lofts

OUTSIDE DOWNTOWN:

La Jolla Commons (University City)

Qualcomm Tower (Sorrento Mesa)

Park Village (National City)

Sunroad Centrum 12 Floors (U/C Now in Kearny Mesa)