daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #21
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Highrise
penta hotel...?? don't you mean hotel pennsylvania or is this a hotel next door to that?
Yes the Penta is the Pennsylvania Hotel...and the rendering shows is next to the FUSE building, NOT THE HOTEL... (the fuse and hotel look almost alike)

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #22
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

oh goody! i'd hate to see the Pennsylvania Hotel going down
brunob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:57 PM   #23
Patrick Highrise
visit the world

Likes (Received): 2912

no no!! not hotel pennsylvania going away.... Like i said it a big, reasonable cheap hotel with lots, lots of rooms (1000+ !!) with there own bathrooms, which is very popular with the tourist. Also why would they have just renovated like 200 rooms or so!! (which they did), so those rooms are more up to date then those very old ones.....

Anyway we will see what will hapen.

NYC don't get rid of Hotel Pennsylvania..it would be one of the biggest mistakes ever IMHO!

Oh and can we move this topic to the News and Development section!? Thanks!
2017: PatagoniŽ / Patagonia / Stockholm - India Ladakh (sept) - wandeldagen in de bergen van Ladakh - Boedapest (okt)
2018: Liverpool (mrt) - Wenen (mei) - Tanzania-Kilimanjaro (juni)
Patrick Highrise está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #24
sfenn1117

Likes (Received): 1

I'd be willing to bet the Penn. hotel will be gone within 10-15 years. It can hold a -huge- office tower.
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #25
Patrick Highrise
visit the world

they should be those huge officetowers in downtown manhattan....nyc is nowadays gladd with all those tourist! But those tourist must stay somewere. Looking at myself I am not going to pay top $$$$ for a big luxury hotel in a city...I just need a place to sleep and a pretty good OWN bathroom, because rest of the time I am enjoying evrything else NYC has to offer! And offcourse the hotel has to be in a good location.
Well my opinion
2017: PatagoniŽ / Patagonia / Stockholm - India Ladakh (sept) - wandeldagen in de bergen van Ladakh - Boedapest (okt)
Old July 14th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #26
TowersNYC
Carlos V

I don't think the Pennsylvania Hotel is a great architectural work.... it should be demolished! we need more towers in NYC !

I Love NY
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #27
TowersNYC
Carlos V

A typical tourist review... :

New York City: Hotel Pennsylvania: "The most awful place on earth"

I stayed at this hotel in:
July, 2005

My husband and I are just back from New York. We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. I can honestly say I got about 5 hours sleep during this time. This place is like something out of a horror movie. I feel ill even thinking of our room. I lay in bed each night imagining fleas and lice crawling all over the filthy bed spread. The smell of mould and dirt hits you the minute you walk into the room. The carpet is just disgusting and damp and smelly, we had to wear flip flops everytime we took off our shoes. The bathroom is mouldy and ancient. Its just dull, depressing, smelly and awful. It will ruin your holiday in NY if you stay there. We tried to get another hotel but failed so were stuck here for our trip. I was dying to get home........and that never ever happens when I go on holiday!

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; July 15th, 2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #28
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Has the Hotel Pennsylvania been slated for demolition yet?
Old July 15th, 2005, 01:02 AM   #29
Phobos

The hotel isn't a masterpiece but I don't think it should be demolished...
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #30
MikeHunt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC
^ my office is on 34th st...I know there's talk about demolishing the old Penta Hotel...this project is scheduled to go in it's place...
Is that the Hotel Pennsylvania or something else? If the former, it would really suck as that is a nice building that simply needs to be restored.
MikeHunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #31
MikeHunt
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC

A typical tourist review... :

New York City: Hotel Pennsylvania: "The most awful place on earth"

I stayed at this hotel in:
July, 2005

My husband and I are just back from New York. We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. I can honestly say I got about 5 hours sleep during this time. This place is like something out of a horror movie. I feel ill even thinking of our room. I lay in bed each night imagining fleas and lice crawling all over the filthy bed spread. The smell of mould and dirt hits you the minute you walk into the room. The carpet is just disgusting and damp and smelly, we had to wear flip flops everytime we took off our shoes. The bathroom is mouldy and ancient. Its just dull, depressing, smelly and awful. It will ruin your holiday in NY if you stay there. We tried to get another hotel but failed so were stuck here for our trip. I was dying to get home........and that never ever happens when I go on holiday!
That answers my question. Of course the hotel is crappy inside, bec. it's cheap by NYC standards. $200 per night gets one a very nice room anywhere in the US except for NY. $200 per night gets a disgusting room in NYC.
MikeHunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #32
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Everytime I enter MSG at 2 Penn Plaza for a Knicks or Liberty game, I notice the Hotel Pennsylvania when looking back, and see it as a place that was spared when the station house for Penn Station was demolished.
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #33
Phobos

Old July 20th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #34
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

Likes (Received): 2

^
i think that's actually a different project. the vornado tower should be behind that box tower that's behind the circular madison square garden.

they should leave the pennsylvania hotel alone and build this tower 1 block north. the block to the north of the pennsylvania hotel's just plain underdeveloped and filled with a bunch of lowrises. if they want a 60-floor tower, build it there instead, but don't touch that hotel.

just because the pennsylvania hotel is not that good doesn't mean it can't be renovated. it used to be a very classy hotel whose phone number was made famous by glenn milller. and if we can get a good developer to chip in some bucks, we can restore the hotel to its former glory.

interesting note: vornado is the current owner of the pennsylvania hotel (for proof, click here). so, it's a possibility they're purposely keeping the hotel rooms in a horrible condition to be able to generate the excuse that the hotel's low-quality, and that it should be demolished to make room for this tower. by making it a notorious place to stay, they can generate negative opinions that can make any effort to preserve it hard to do. it might not be true, but it's definitely a possibility.
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:21 PM   #35
Patrick Highrise
visit the world

yeah they can make it a shit place tos stay but since the hotel got sooooo much rooms and is affordable I think it would hurt nyc as a tourist place. Yeah I also know there are lots of hotels over there...but nyc is allready a $$$ city to saty in, so for a tourist the best part for getting some money to stay in our pocket is for a reasonable prices hotel...and btw those people should stop screaming about how bad the hotel room is....man you should be almost 24 on 24 in the city instead of in your room.
Last year the room was pterry ok, bed was good enough to sleep well and bathroom was clean an tidy so what do we need more?!?!
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:40 PM   #36
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
Yea, this is a different project, that was part of the plan that proposed to build a tower as part of the new Penn station.

Last edited by New Jack City; July 21st, 2005 at 10:31 PM.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM   #37
Phobos

^Thanks for the info savethewtc.When I saw this picture at pbase I thought it was Vornado Tower because it looks very simmilar to the renderings posted here.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:01 AM   #38
HT

Likes (Received): 32

Has anyone the exact high of the Tower?
HT no está en línea   Reply With Quote