SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Wiarton Photo Tour

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Victoria 
#1 ·
Here's the home of Canada's equivalent to PUNXSATAWNEY PHIL for Groundhog Day, Wiarton, Ontario, considered a gateway to Northern Ontario and Peninsula Country in Bruce County. Located between Tobermory and Owen Sound on Highway 6, Wiarton has a very vibrant downtown core, and is at the bottom of a huge hill in the rugged Niagara Peninsula. The town offers stunning views of Georgian Bay and scenery around. Wiarton is famous for being the home of WIARTON WILLIE, Canada's groundhog weather predictor in a tradition held every February 2 in this tiny community. Wiarton has a population of about 2,500.

One of the nicest Royal Bank buildings I have ever seen...

Very neat clock!

Like many towns up in this area, downtown Wiarton is at the bottom of a huge hill!

Boy, they don't make post offices like they used to...

It's Bluewater Park, look @ that animation of Willie!

An astounding view of Georgian Bay

Statue of Wiarton Willie, this town is CRAZY about him!

Tourism office, formerly a railroad station...

South Bruce Peninsula Library and Archives...

There it is, the home of Wiarton Willie...

and folks, you're gonna get RARE candid shots of Wiarton Wille out of his home, people here told me Willie rarely comes out of his hole!

Look at him sleeping there...

Three nice homes along Highway 6 going down the huge hill!

coming soon, OWEN SOUND, BARRIE, Aurora, Newmarket, and more...

See less See more
#5 ·
Wiarton is a nice town. I'm there every year. I'm heading up there next week, actually to a camp ground close to it called Mountain Lake. Boring place, but you'll always find something to do.

Nice pics of the bay too. Years ago I found a purse on the end of the big concrete dock and 'found' 20 bucks. It's a boring downtown but its nice. The surrounding area is nice too. The cliffs, caves etc.

Great pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.