daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #121
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

I have a cousin in Vancouver. She is staying with her boyfriend (she's an Asian born in Australia). Which is te nearest Skytrain station to Stanley Park? I'm thinking of visiting her sometime in the future. I love the Skytrain you guys have although I've only seen it from pictures, but it was the pioneering netwrok for LIM trains. Rock on Canada (sorry, I'm pro-Canada although I'm in Asia and would like to migrate there one day)!
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #122
addisonwesley

Likes (Received): 5

99% between two consecutive stations. Gee, that's great. Pftt.
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #123
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname
I think I saw somewhere saying that they used about 94% of all available trains during peak hours... and the maximum value stated for the system is 88%. (which means that there is not enough trains to improve the frequency to 90s, unless all the 4-cars MKII trains are reconfigured into 2-cars MKII trains.)

I'm sure that the frequency will be improved to probably 90s or better when 34 new MKII trains arrived in 2007-08 or earlier.

The system is running at 99% capacity between Main and Broadway... I guess there IS demand...
Interesting bit of info. Well, the line from Broadway into downtown is a bit of a bottle-neck with the M Line stopping at Commercial, so I guess that makes sense.
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:39 AM   #124
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak
I have a cousin in Vancouver. She is staying with her boyfriend (she's an Asian born in Australia). Which is te nearest Skytrain station to Stanley Park? I'm thinking of visiting her sometime in the future. I love the Skytrain you guys have although I've only seen it from pictures, but it was the pioneering netwrok for LIM trains. Rock on Canada (sorry, I'm pro-Canada although I'm in Asia and would like to migrate there one day)!
I'd say the nearest station would be Burrard. Still some distance from Stanely Park, but walkable.
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #125
nname

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber73
Interesting bit of info. Well, the line from Broadway into downtown is a bit of a bottle-neck with the M Line stopping at Commercial, so I guess that makes sense.
I wonder if there will be some slight decrease in frequency once the VCC station opened next Jan... Seems like it requires 1 more train (ie. 2 or 4 cars), but the system doesn't have any extra...

And this is what I have found:
Quote:
The transfer of passengers onto Expo Line trains contributes to busier periods within the AM peak hour at Broadway Station where average observed train passenger volumes could exceed capacity by up to about 13%. During these busy times, passengers on the platform sometimes have to wait for one or more trains before being able to board.
Looks like it is at 113% capacity right now?
nname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #126
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber73
I'd say the nearest station would be Burrard. Still some distance from Stanely Park, but walkable.
Burrard eh? Thanks for the info. Hmmm. But she'll be moving out soon, to goodness where.

I'm interested to know, are property prices higher along the stretch that has both Expo and Millenium lines?
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #127
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

"First of all, the many examples to choose from include your history. "

Such as? I have been around here years before you...most of my "history" of posts have been purged long before you ever showed up. No matter...more accusations without back-up. Like I said...pony up some evidence or retract.

"here are the bullshit exaggerations by YOU:

-A- that Toronto's system wins "by a landslide". When the situation is not that simple."

Well, YOU were the one who brought out the "landslide" word, not me....and you did it AFTER the accusation, so you can't use it as a justification after the fact.

But let's address that one anyway...what excactly is a "landslide" ? Is it a precise number or percentage? It isn't...it's a highly vague term. But I think we would probably agree it represents a "significant" number yea? And when you look at any actual figures, there is a significant difference...so "landslide" may be a vague term, but certainly doesn't sound out of place.

Two bullshit exaggerations here: 1) calling the streetcar an LRT"

LRT stands for "light rail", which streetcars certainly are....where it's located or how often it stops doesn't change that.

2) Focusing ONLY on the subway.

HUH??? I'm the one discussing subway, streetcar, buses, route placements, frequencies, TOD developments, cost-efficiencies, ridership, walking distances, interconnectivity, etc, etc....where you get this "ONLY subways" crap is beyond me.

Vancouver's downtown is much smaller in area than toronto's and doesn't NEED subway coverage. "

The area of downtown Toronto that the subway stations and streetcar lines are located is no bigger than the penninsula downtown Van is located on (it might even be smaller). The subways and streetcars in downtown Toronto are not for just getting "around" downtown...it's mostly for getting to and from various parts of downtown from the rest of the city.

" -C- Your whole post about streetcars. Buddy I was born in a city that has the most streetcar routes and distances than any other city in the world (St. petersburg, russia). "

Again...a vague statement....give me an example of how everything I've said about streetcars is bullshit...give me an actual example (the ones you have already given have been refuted as incorrect).

And Toronto is not Russia...I don't see how any experience with it has any bearing on Toronto's streetcars, especially seeing how you know nothing about it.

And I have multi-generational streetcar drivers in my immidiate family, and use them every day...I hardly think you have more insight on Toronto's streetcars than I do.

"And you're exaggerating many things:

- how much of a superior ride they are. What makes them a more superior ride than a bus? "

I thought you were the big Russian streetcar expert? Perhaps the Russian ones are terrible? Otherwise yea...of course streetcars are superior...both in terms of physical and psychological aspects...physically, it's a very smooth ride....you ride higher and have more space. And people just love being on a train...would you rather travel somewhere on a train or a bus? Tourists ride them for the sheer enjoyment...I see this all the time....nobody gets on a bus for a joy ride....everybody has already been on a bus...no novelty.

"- how more environmentally friendly they are. What makes them more environmentally friendly than a trolley? "

I never said they were more environmentally friendly than an electric bus....both run on overhead electric wires.

"- How long it takes to clear an accident. It can take hours."

Who's exaggerating here?????

I've been riding the streetcar for decades....in the not-so-often situation where an accident blocks the tracks, it is cleared in 10 or 15 minutes or less....this is a priority for police, and they have special contingencies for doing so. If it actually involves a streetcar, it can take longer, as inspectors have to come to the scene (you are essentially fired on the spot when you are in an accident as a streetcar opperator, so it's rather important).

There's no such thing as taking "hours" to clear an accident on streetcar tracks...that's just a bizarre statement. If something other than a collision takes place (such as a police emergency, fire, etc), the streetcars are temporarily diverted using the many short-turn tracks all along the line...or shuttle buses. If an accident happens, it usually closes the entire street anyway, which means buses would be at any more of an advantage anyway.

"- How much cheaper they are. What makes them cheaper? "

Streetcars are more cost-efficient at moving passengers....they move more people faster than a bus...are cheaper to run...and the equipment and infastructure for streetcars have a longer lifespan. Why do you think they use them???

"Don't get me wrong. I love streetcars and am looking forward to the streetcar project in Vancouver. But you're still bullshitly exaggerating"

You keep saying it...but proof is what will make it true...not continuously saying it with nothing to back it up.

"And of course: Quote: everyone loves a streetcar...and everybody generally hates a bus.

Spoken like a man who never takes transit. I would agree that Many people would prefer a streetcar over a bus. But Everybody hating buses? What is that crap? Lies."

So know you are saying I never take transit??? I have never owned a car, and have always taken transit....the streetcar is at my door, and I use it every day.

Who's lieing? You are just making up lies.

And as a person who takes TTC every day for decades, who do you think has more insight into the buses vs streetcars thing? me or you? I think me. And yes...ask anybody what their least favorite form of transit is...they will tell you a bus....they are slow, crowded, have an inferior comfort level, and don't come as often. But they are a necessity, so you don't have a choice...if we did, there would be no buses in Toronto.

"Okay? Satisfied, KGB? "

What do you think?

"Ummm........WHAT? By that logic if you're establishing a new town, you should start by building a subway system with 5 lines and 70 stations. And then design the city and build it around the subway? WHAT???? No...."

No...that is not what I said at all. Is this what happened in Toronto? No...so what gives you that idea? What I was generally refering to was post-war city planning which allows for development that can support public transit. All old cities have this built in, as there were no cars at the time, and public transit or walking was the only options for getting around (or horses and buggies of course).

"Interesting. Could you provide some source for this "frequency of service is better" claim? As well as the average walking distance thing? "

Well, you can check it out for yourself...on the TTC's site...it clearly shows the frequncy of service for all transit vehicles for both peak and off-peak hours.

And 96% of the residents of the City of Toronto live within 400 metres of transit...a lot of which is even closer.

Just take a look (if you can) at how many people actually live or work within walking distance of just the subway...it's huge...Toronto is the king of TOD development.

It's also a matter of inter-connectivity...all Toronto's serface routes connect with the subway...getting around is extremely direct, and these feeder routes are why the TTC's subway has such good ridership numbers.

Within the city proper, the TTC has almost 7000 kms of round-trip route coverage of bus and streetcar on top of subway coverage. TTC vehicles travel almost 200 million kms in a one year period ( 2004 city proper only).

Bring on the Vancouver numbers.

"Finally please provide a little more detail about just how "extensiv" this 24hr service is. Vancouver has ~10 routes that are 24 hours as well."

Again, this can be found at the TTC site. The number or routes is not what is important, but how well it serves the city...and how frequent the service is.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #128
Plumber73
I need coffee.

^ What's with all the giant spaces between paragraphs? Your posts are long enough already.
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #129
addisonwesley

Easier on the eyes.
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #130
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Hey...I guess I have quirky forum habits...just like i hate using the quote feature...or emoticons. Kinda like your quirky idea of actually wasting a post to complain about something so petty.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #131
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB
Hey...I guess I have quirky forum habits...just like i hate using the quote feature...or emoticons. Kinda like your quirky idea of actually wasting a post to complain about something so petty.

KGB
Just Asking.
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #132
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

well...Toronto won this.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #133
addisonwesley

I think we established that quite clearly in the beginning.
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:10 AM   #134
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonwesley
I think we established that quite clearly in the beginning.
Just rubbing it in thier "Using Toronto's money to build thier subways," faces.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #135
addisonwesley

lol, I don't think they really care, actually, they're probably quite happy doing so.
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #136
npinguy

Likes (Received): 0

KGB:

exaggerations are just that - exaggerations. They're not lies, they're just things that are made out to be much better (or much worse) than they actualy are to prove your point.

i'm not gonna go over the things i mentioned AGAIN. I stand by my claim that they're exaggerations and you haven't changed my mind.

Now as to a couple other things:

-I've asked you for PROOF to backup some of your claims and you haven't done so - you've just thrown more statistics. 96% of Toronto residents live within 400 meters of transit? Okay. GREAT. Can you give me a link that says that?

I mean let's be fair. If Mr. X's statistics are called into question, I have to call yours as well.

- In regards to your "history". This isn't the first time we've had an argument in a thread, and that is what i'm referring to.

- I realize it was me that brought up the WORD landslide. But that doesn't change the fact that you and others have already had that attitude that i simply described with that word.

--------------------------
Jaystheonly - your credibility went out the window when you had to ask what the RAV line was.
--------------------------
addison. I think it was you that asked why on the map of city center, the western part of the city has no bus coverage. Mr. X responded by talking about vancouver west. I realize you're actually talking about downtown.

The reason why there's no back-and-forth coverage on streets west of burard is because that's West end - a quiet residential neighborhood. However, even if you live smack in the middle between Davie and Robson, it's still about a 300-400 meter walk to get to one of those buses. So there's no need for as much bus coverage as the rest of downtown has.
npinguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM   #137
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

Yeah, there wouldn't be much demand to go from one end of downtown to the other end of downtown. Esp. since since the CBD is pretty much in the middle of the penninsula, that's walking distance.
The biggest demand would be this week for the Celebration of Light.

Translink is, however, I think starting up a "community shuttle" - using mini-buses - from the West End to the Roundhouse Community Centre on the Concord Lands, and the City's Downtown Transportation Plan plans for a donwtown loop bus, but there's no firm implementation date for that service.

I think that the West End - Yaletown bus that was instituted a few years ago was discontinued as well.
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #138
nname

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller
I think that the West End - Yaletown bus that was instituted a few years ago was discontinued as well.
Hmm... I think that route is now C21 and C23?
nname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #139
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Greater Toronto Transit
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #140
addisonwesley

Well if you can walk comfortably and in a short time, I guess it's fine.