daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #141
npinguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonwesley
Well if you can walk comfortably and in a short time, I guess it's fine.
<5 minutes for SURE is the longest you'd have to go
npinguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2005, 01:51 AM   #142
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

C21 and C23 are the community shuttles - I think here was a period without any bus service along the route.
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #143
addisonwesley

Likes (Received): 5

Wow - 5 minutes, that's REALLY good. Is there even any need for major inter-downtown public transit?
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #144
nname

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller
C21 and C23 are the community shuttles - I think here was a period without any bus service along the route.
It was used to serve by route #1, but last year they change it to community shuttles C21 and C23... I don't remember if there is a period without bus service though... although all weekend service was cancelled for #1 in the 2001 service reduction.
nname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:22 AM   #145
nname

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonwesley
Wow - 5 minutes, that's REALLY good. Is there even any need for major inter-downtown public transit?
The CBD in Vancouver downtown is only a few blocks long and a few blocks wide... people can usually walk across it from one end to the other in about 15-20 min.
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #146
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

The service reduction was what I was thinking about - so it could have been just the weekends then.
Old July 26th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #147
nname

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller
The service reduction was what I was thinking about - so it could have been just the weekends then.
Yes, this is what I found from an old news release
Quote:
#1 Beach/ Waterfront - Discontinue evening, Sunday and Holiday service due to very low ridership.
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #148
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Can we atleast agree that LRT means RAPID rail transit. Streetcars are LRT as well but for most in NA it refers to rapid transit like CTrain, DART etc.
It makes it a hell of a lot easier when making comparisons.

Yes, Toronto has a far superior system than Translink but as much as I disapprove of RAV {the technology, route, cost but the idea of rapid transit to Richmond/Airport itself} it looks like Toronto is going to be a copy-cat.
Why aren't Torontonians taking to the streets for the $1.5bil Spadina Ext.????
That is an outrageous amount for 6km. Plus this will NOT result in enough rider increase to warrant it. It is , unlike the rest of the system, for point to point travel.
Its only being done to get to YorkU so why is it being tunnelled. Why not elevated or atgrade? It doesn't even go under a main drag. The ridership increase will not be great. Yes YorkU is a huge bus terminal/station but most of those buses come from cross-town/ east/west or from York & Peel regions.
I think SpadinaExt will be worse than RAV.
If they can't get there for $500mil {which they could if it was elevated afteral YorkU is giving free land for subway ROW} then screw it and do something that really will help Torontonians and provide for a dense corridor........ie scrap Spadina and finish Sheppard!

What the hell is the TTC doing by tunnelling it??
Sheppard of course, but Spadina??? Hell half of it is thru the Downsview airport.

What's being done {if anything} to stop this and bring the price down to earth?
With that kinda money they could build LRT {like DART/CTrain} for litterally 50km and REALLY help Torontonians and get some real bang for the buck.
Next to Spadina, RAV is looking like a bargain.......and I never thought I'd hear myself say that.
ssiguy2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:33 AM   #149
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

I don't have a lot of knowledge of the system over there, but 1.5 billion does seem pretty hefty. I said earlier that construction costs have gone up quite a bit, but there must be other reasons for the high cost. Maybe the tunneling required is more difficult than normal? Anyone?
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:10 AM   #150
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
Can we atleast agree that LRT means RAPID rail transit. Streetcars are LRT as well but for most in NA it refers to rapid transit like CTrain, DART etc.
It makes it a hell of a lot easier when making comparisons.

Yes, Toronto has a far superior system than Translink but as much as I disapprove of RAV {the technology, route, cost but the idea of rapid transit to Richmond/Airport itself} it looks like Toronto is going to be a copy-cat.
Why aren't Torontonians taking to the streets for the $1.5bil Spadina Ext.????
That is an outrageous amount for 6km. Plus this will NOT result in enough rider increase to warrant it. It is , unlike the rest of the system, for point to point travel.
Its only being done to get to YorkU so why is it being tunnelled. Why not elevated or atgrade? It doesn't even go under a main drag. The ridership increase will not be great. Yes YorkU is a huge bus terminal/station but most of those buses come from cross-town/ east/west or from York & Peel regions.
I think SpadinaExt will be worse than RAV.
If they can't get there for $500mil {which they could if it was elevated afteral YorkU is giving free land for subway ROW} then screw it and do something that really will help Torontonians and provide for a dense corridor........ie scrap Spadina and finish Sheppard!

What the hell is the TTC doing by tunnelling it??
Sheppard of course, but Spadina??? Hell half of it is thru the Downsview airport.

What's being done {if anything} to stop this and bring the price down to earth?
With that kinda money they could build LRT {like DART/CTrain} for litterally 50km and REALLY help Torontonians and get some real bang for the buck.
Next to Spadina, RAV is looking like a bargain.......and I never thought I'd hear myself say that.
Like RAV, this is the only way the TTC can receive infrastructure funding from the province and the feds. In the end, it's all politics.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #151
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

They could just as easily get it for ther Sheppard line then.
As long as it would be some kind of rapid rail {subway/LRT} they would get the money. The feds wouldn't care if it was all underground.

Frightening waste of money.........Toronto seems like its finally getting some money for subway exp and they are ghoing to blow it. Also because ridership levels will not be very high it will make it that much harder to get money for other, more needed line ie Sheppard, Eglinton, Downtown Relief Line.
ssiguy2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #152
addisonwesley

Likes (Received): 5

They can't exactly finish the sheppard line until the SRT is transformed into a subway. Your right about the YorkU extension though. They should start on the Eglinton West subway, or perhaps finish the Queen St. West underground streetcar - heck, the people in the 40s already roughed in 2 stations.
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #153
rt_0891

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2

They could just as easily get it for ther Sheppard line then.
As long as it would be some kind of rapid rail {subway/LRT} they would get the money. The feds wouldn't care if it was all underground.

Frightening waste of money.........Toronto seems like its finally getting some money for subway exp and they are ghoing to blow it. Also because ridership levels will not be very high it will make it that much harder to get money for other, more needed line ie Sheppard, Eglinton, Downtown Relief Line.
You got to remember that the new line would run through the Finance Minister's riding. That means a lot in the world of politics.

In a perfect world, Toronto would have more subway lines in the inner city and a fully operational Eglinton line. I guess we'll just have to keep dreaming.
rt_0891 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #154
sukh
Khalistan!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
et's say there's some tiny town with 500 people and one main street, and ONE form of transit - a bus that runs back and forth. Let's call it Hicksville. If somebody was stupid enough to start a thread saying "Who has better transit - Hicksville or Toronto?", I'd be saying Hicksville. Not because the system is so much better but because in this case all that matters is relative to the city's needs.
The difference is this isnt hicksville vs, Toronto, its Vancouver vs. Toronto. The two can be compared head to head, but it all depends on the ridership. Calgary can probably beat out many cities in North America.
sukh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #155
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

"i'm not gonna go over the things i mentioned AGAIN. I stand by my claim that they're exaggerations and you haven't changed my mind."

I've asked you to come up with anything to back those claims up...and you haven't. You can stand by your unsubstantiated claims all you want...they're still unsubstantiated....and therefore...meaningless.

"-I've asked you for PROOF to backup some of your claims and you haven't done so - you've just thrown more statistics. 96% of Toronto residents live within 400 meters of transit? Okay. GREAT. Can you give me a link that says that? "

I've told you where to find all this info...you need me to give you a link to the TTC site??? Com'on...you know how to use the internet don't you? And at least I give actual facts and stats...all you give are unsubstantiated accusations you can't back up. Then you incinuate I'm making up stats.

"- In regards to your "history". This isn't the first time we've had an argument in a thread, and that is what i'm referring to."

Yea...and without anything to back that accusation up....if it's anything like this one, it would involve you making unsubstantiated claims....me asking you to back it up...and you not being able to do so. Mentioning that you and I have disagreed on a previous thread is hardly proof of anything.

"- I realize it was me that brought up the WORD landslide. But that doesn't change the fact that you and others have already had that attitude that i simply described with that word."

So...not only are you putting words in people's mouths, you haven't been able to even prove the "attitude" you ascribed to others is not true. Com'on...prove to me that your own "landslide" description is not appropriate.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #156
npinguy

Likes (Received): 0

KGB i have already supplied the backup to my claims.

just because you choose to ignore my explanations, doesn't make them nonexistent. You can repeat over and over and over again that I am wrong and you are right, but it doesn't make it so.

I have said you exaggerate, I have provided reasons for this. You have responded to them but not thoroughly enough to properly justify your exaggerations.

As for the TTC website - it's a big frigging site. Do you expect me to go through it and look for the numbers you provide? Furthermore. You provide these numbers with the natural assumption that they beat out vancouver's. Unless there is a number given as to what percentage of vancouver residents live within 400 meters of transit, numbers like that are irrelevant.

You and Wally both remind me of ostritches. You choose to pull your head out only to the things you want. Anything you don't like or don't agree with you simply ignore and pretend it isn't there
npinguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #157
nname

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
Unless there is a number given as to what percentage of vancouver residents live within 400 meters of transit, numbers like that are irrelevant.
The closest thing I can find is the population within 450m of route that runs at peak frequency of 10min or better (which excludes secondary route #25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 50, 100; express routes #32, 43, 44; part of route #49 in AM; and any other suburan routes# > 100 that serves the city)

That number is 88% at 2004 (which excludes #C21 and #C23... route #1 didn't run at every 10 min). This number will be improve to 99% by 2010 (which includes addition of route #33 and #46, and also improve the freq to at least 10min for some secondary local routes)

This data is from the draft of VUTP.

Last edited by nname; July 26th, 2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #158
KGB

"I have said you exaggerate, I have provided reasons for this. You have responded to them but not thoroughly enough to properly justify your exaggerations."

Actually, you refered to me as a "bullshitting exaggerator" (which I assume must be worse than your run-of-the-mill exaggerator).

I simply asked you to provide evidence of this or retract.

You have provided NO evidence of it at all.

So quit this dancing around and be a grown up and retract.

KGB
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #159
Plumber73
I need coffee.

Likes (Received): 57

MMMmmm yes... the daily dose of forum bickering.
Plumber73 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #160
KGB

Well, I would afford you the same courtesy of questioning accusations against you without calling it bickering.

KGB