daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #1
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

WIGAN | Full Summary of Developments

-The Wigan Development Thread-

Last edited by ferge; June 6th, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM   #2
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Starting this week, apparently..

Quote:
Urban Renaissance — Millions For Wigan’s Heritage and Regeneration
Tuesday 16th August, 2005

On The Way: The magnificent Trencherfield Mill at the heart of the Wigan Pier Quarter.
Exciting plans for the future of the Wigan Pier Quarter are one step closer to becoming reality today with the announcement that the project has received a massive £6m boost in the form of grant aid.

The funding success will now kick-start a wider multi-million pound regeneration project that will transform the quarter (the area surrounding the basin of the Leeds-Liverpool canal) into a cultural, heritage, tourism, business and leisure location of regional importance.

The cash comes from a number of sources, including the European Regional Development Fund, the Heritage Lottery, the North West Development Agency and the Regeneration Fund.

It will be used on five schemes, the largest of which involves the complete redevelopment of the magnificent Grade 2 listed Trencherfield Mill for commercial and social use, including the creation of stylish loft apartments and space for cultural and creative industries.

There will be a new heritage-themed attraction to sit alongside the world-famous Trencherfield Mill Steam Engine.

The grant aid will also contribute to the plans for a new performance venue, destined to become home to the Wigan International Jazz Festival and many more events.

Leader of Wigan Council Lord Smith described the announcement as ‘great news for the borough’. He said:

“The original redevelopment of Wigan Pier was a great boost to the regeneration of the borough. This latest redevelopment — The Wigan Pier Quarter — will add to the area bringing in more investment and more jobs to use our past to build for the future.”

Wigan Council Cabinet Member for Planning and Regeneration Cllr John O’Neill added:

“The council is working alongside Wigan Leisure & Culture Trust (WLCT), Salford-based developers Nuttalls, the local residents and other partners to establish a mixed-use quarter, delivering business opportunities, loft living and waterside leisure facilities for everyone in our borough and beyond to enjoy.”

As well as the redevelopment of Trencherfield Mill, grant aid will be directed at Eckersley Mills; the old Vulcanite site at the bottom of Pottery Road; two small sites owned by British Waterways and The Way We Were visitor attraction.

The partners hope to create an environment that follows in the footsteps of other successful North West regeneration projects such as Salford Quays and Liverpool’s Albert Dock.

Council regeneration experts believe 570 new jobs will be created as a result of the redevelopment and at least 13, often very large, buildings will be repaired.

Wigan Council’s Cabinet Member for Culture and chair of the Regeneration Board Cllr Brian Baldwin said:

“The plans for the regeneration of the Wigan Pier Quarter are exciting and ambitious and the allocation of this funding means they will now begin to take shape.”

“This redevelopment will add to the prosperity of our borough in many ways through inward investment and new jobs through to top quality leisure and cultural experiences.”

Cllr Baldwin added:

“Wigan is shedding the outdated, stereotyped image that has persisted for generations and it’s thanks to exciting regeneration projects such as this one.”

“We must congratulate the regeneration team and the hard work of all the partners for making a successful bid for the money.”

“We are confident that very significant amounts of additional investment will follow in the years to come, ensuring that all the dereliction in the Pier Quarter disappears.”
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 396

Didnt realise that the Wigan thread had been ressurected.
I'm not too keen on the look of that Grand Arcade. It has a very smalltown provincial look to it and looks like its something out of the 70's.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:34 PM   #4
ferge
Like 'Berg'

its not, i had to redo it >
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:55 PM   #5
oscar9

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura_Preston
Didnt realise that the Wigan thread had been ressurected.
I'm not too keen on the look of that Grand Arcade. It has a very smalltown provincial look to it and looks like its something out of the 70's.
Thats becuase Wigan is a small provincial town and stuck in the 70's Anything to daring here would have the locals up in arms. The grande arcade sucks.
oscar9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:36 PM   #6
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Even this had the locals up in arms, lol!!

Yes, I hate it too.. but I don't care as its something new and well who cares what it looks like when its bringin a HMV to town! woo.. I just hope (and by the sounds of the council it may just happen) that Wigan starts investing in redevelopment and gets itself out of its rut..

Here is a very crap pic by a crap photographer (me) with my stupid camera in the back of a car, lol.. all in all adds up to goodness, not. This is what has replaced the old Vulcanite (some old disused ...dangerous site, lol).. Its some showroom or somet, try and get a more stationary shot soon..

Old August 24th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #7
ferge
Like 'Berg'

The Arcade seems to be stepping up a gear now that all the land has been cleared..

From the webcam (updates per 5 seconds, (compare that to 51limestreets 10mins ))

Old August 29th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #8
Bim
Music is my lover.

Likes (Received): 1

Was in Wigan on Saturday changing trains for Southport...walked round the town for half an hour.
I must say it had a very inward feel to the place...a very northern town backwards atmosphere...felt kind of glad to get on the train out of there...although it's not as bad as Leigh...so it's got something going for it!
Bim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:54 PM   #9
oscar9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim
Was in Wigan on Saturday changing trains for Southport...walked round the town for half an hour.
I must say it had a very inward feel to the place...a very northern town backwards atmosphere...felt kind of glad to get on the train out of there...although it's not as bad as Leigh...so it's got something going for it!
A lot of the people mostly older generation are quite inward as well. Give them game of rugby league and shove a tata pie in their gob and they're happy.
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #10
vertigosufferer

Likes (Received): 1

Hey! - I like sausage rolls!!!
vertigosufferer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #11
ferge
Like 'Berg'

I totally understand what you're saying.. And I think the council are now realising that too.. heres more to show why

Quote:
New pool and library at heart of multi-million pound service centre
Thursday 25th August 2005 (ref: 324/2005)

Wigan is set to get a new swimming complex to replace the ageing International Pool Wigan is on track to get a state of the art new library and swimming pool as part of an ambitious £64 million plan to revitalise the civic heart of the town and create a unique public service 'hub'.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell has announced that Wigan is one of six councils chosen to go forward for a share of public funding for new libraries and sports projects under the Private Finance Initiative (PFI).

The plans include a new 25m x 21m pool to replace the existing International Pool, and a new central library to replace the current premises in the basement of the Town Hall.

A new central library will replace the current premises in the basement of Wigan Town Hall (pictured) The council now has to submit a 'business case' to the government by June 2006 to qualify for the funding. Once the final go-ahead is given work could start in 2007 and be completed a couple of years later.

Wigan Council Leader, Lord Smith, said: "This is very welcome news, and I'm delighted that the government is able to support our vision for transforming Wigan's leisure and culture services.

"We have recognised for some time that both the existing town centre swimming pool and central library do not offer the quality of facilities that the public of Wigan expect and deserve.

"This ambitious project will create a first class library and modern pool fit for the 21st century, along with improved customer access to a range of public services. This news marks the first stage in being able to realise our vision.

"The council has an excellent track record of effective partnership working, and I am confident we will now be able to deliver the business case that will bring this funding to Wigan."

The overall project is being described as a Joint Service Centre, and while the new pool and library are the centrepiece, the plans go well beyond this, heralding a stunning new civic heart for the town centre.

The aim is to link all public services within a complex of buildings connected by bridges. According to the council's submission: "It will result in the conversion of the traditional administrative centre in Wigan into a vibrant accessible hub for the majority of local public services that will become the natural focus of the Wigan community."

As well as the Council and the Leisure and Culture Trust, other partners may include the Primary Care Trust, Greater Manchester Police, the Citizens Advice Bureau, Victim Support, Wigan and Leigh Housing.

There will be four 'zones' - for information and learning, community safety, democracy and healthy living. The swimming pool, along with a smaller children's pool and a hydrotherapy pool, will be at the heart of the Healthy Living Zone, while the new library will lie at the heart of the Information Zone as the first port of call for all community advice and information about public services.

Rodney Hill, chief executive of Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust, said: "This is very exciting news. When we announced our plans last year to transform the borough's leisure and culture services under the banner of Getting Wigan Active, we knew that a new pool and library were integral to their success.

"The international pool has long passed its sell-by date and is completely uneconomic to renovate, while Wigan library is far from ideal as a major town centre facility. We now have the chance to build two state of the art new facilities that will transform public services in the town centre.

"Coming on top of the plans for Leigh Sports Village, this is a very exciting time for the Trust and the Council. This is still the first stage but it is clear that Tessa Jowell has been impressed with our vision for the future. We can now put together a detailed plan that will turn the dream into reality."

The new library will be built on the site of the current Municipal Buildings on Hewlett Street and Millgate, although the building's red terracotta facade would remain. The pool will be built on the site of the existing pool - news which should please those who have been campaigning for it to be retained in the town centre.

PFI funding involves a partnership between public bodies, like councils, and the private sector. A private company designs, builds and finances an asset such as a school or library, and the public body agrees a long-term operating contract for the services. The total amount of PFI 'credits' on offer to Wigan by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport and the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister amounts to £64.6 million.
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #12
oscar9

Wigan,to be honest, isn't really that bad. Its town centre is more attractive than its surrounding towns like St Helens Leigh Chorley etc . for its many tudor style buildings. Many arn't actually tudor but were built in the late 1800's and it has been commonly refered to as little Chester. The galleries shopping centre exploited this.Comming into the town centre from the north through the village of Standish you could be forgiven you are entering Wigan . The wide road is tree lined with huge 1950's detached houses set in huge grounds. This road is about 4 miles long and takes you almost to the town centre with occassional glimpes of Haigh Hall through the trees, a large once stately home set in its own country park, again which stretches almost to the town centre. All very pleasant really. Good news about the olympic size pool staying in the town centre.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:56 PM   #13
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Just an Update on the Grand Arcade.. Seems like a bit of progress has been made with the building beginning to form..

-Webcam Capture-

Also the mills are a hive of activity, with their conversion to appartments, may take a camera with me to work tomorrow and see If I can get a few home snaps (depends on how tired and brave I am) lol
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:39 PM   #14
kebabmonster

Likes (Received): 0

I like Wigan's town centre, though it could do with a few more big name stores for a town it's size.

It certainly feels a lot safer than town/precinct at any rate, somewhere I'd prefer my mam to go shopping. I've always found the locals alright, never come across an outside-hating one yet, though I bet this isn't the case at kicking out time on King Street.
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #15
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Frontpage of our Wigan 'Reporter' reads:

'Grand Ambitions'
Developer plans for skyscraper half the size of Blackpool Tower to dominate Wigan Skyline.

A 200ft skyscraper could soon dominate the ambitious new shopping centre, developers [Modus] confirmed today. The 18 storey addition to the Grand Arcade will give Wigan the landmark it deserves according to the Developers. The tower block, which is currently the subject of a planning application, is set to house a variety of new restaurants, ofice space and 156 appartments.

The director of Modus said 'It was clear that Wigan needed a striking structure to say we are here, we are a successful and improving town and one that can support having such a landmark building.

Then it blabs on about NIMBY opposition from the people in the nasty Tennements.. Exepected as usual, alas.. Finally Wigan is aiming high..
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #16
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

I hope they build it ferge. It'll probably be visible from as far away as Ince
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:11 AM   #17
ferge
Like 'Berg'

It would make a great foreground for some long distant shots of Manc from the Beacons.. :P I too hope it gets built, its an impressive size for such a ... narrow minded town Considering places of a similair size and importance aren't aiming as high as such..
Old December 9th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #18
ferge
Like 'Berg'

The Modus Residential tower (19 storeys) has been APPROVED?! Total shocker there..
Wahey, Wigan is getting in on the high-life!

http://kinnear.wiganmbc.gov.uk/plann...pNo=A/05/65182
Old December 9th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #19
Sir Miles Platting

Likes (Received): 4

Ah towd thee dinta.....
Sir Miles Platting no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #20
oscar9

Good news.I wonder if you will be able see the Manc Beetham from the top