daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old March 28th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #121
JohnnyLeigh

Likes (Received): 8

Work is well underway for the latest stage of the Greenheart Project:
The Bickershaw South (west Leigh)

The area for the 650 homes has been cleared (though I personally miss the old very derelict hotel that stood on the corner of the Swing Bridge)
Putting in piping and roadwork seems to have started.

Tried to find a really good map of the project and can't.
Desperate to know what the outdoor events arena will be like and where the marina will be, and what it will look like.

I find it bizarre that Firs Lane isn't being extended to go into the Bickershaw North part of the project - the only vehicular access road into that part of the site appears to be from the north through Bickershaw!!

Greenheart Project:
http://www.wigan.gov.uk/pub/council/...port07-ap2.pdf
Bickershaw Element of the project:
http://www.englishpartnerships.co.uk...y%20Centre.pdf (open with adobe)
JohnnyLeigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 30th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #122
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 226

Good find, JohnnyLeigh

I'm not familiar with the Leigh side of the Burough so it's good to have some info on whats happening there, a big project no doubt and I'm always glad to see a bit of greenery thrown in

Just found this image, but can't find a bigger version! (Tried to blow this up without ruining it too much)

It also looks (although I can't be fully certain) that the pool now has a light grey/silver tile cladding rather than the dull, dark brown.. needs further investigating
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #123
WatcherZero

I thought they were ditching the Olympic, middle and training size pool and only having one. How come theirs now a second small pool?

Also hope they have a cafe overlooking the pool like they used too, had fond memories of it.
WatcherZero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #124
WatcherZero

Update on the dam, half of Douglas Valley has been deforested, the new bridge is installed, theyve excavated the valley sides almost down to river level and their presently pile driving in sheet piles to preserve the original course of the river.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #125
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
I thought they were ditching the Olympic, middle and training size pool and only having one. How come theirs now a second small pool?

Also hope they have a cafe overlooking the pool like they used too, had fond memories of it.
Well I was discussing this with a mate (not because he is into regeneration or architecture, but because he likes swimming, lol) and I think perhaps that the second, smaller pool is perhaps for Gym users only? Could be wrong, but what if it was a main public pool for everyone and a private pool within the gym section of the building, there is no way of telling how long it is with it being a sectional, it could be a decent size.
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #126
WatcherZero

I would imagine it would continue to be for Small children, pregnant mothers, etc type activities. It looks to small for adult lengths to me and yet too big for say a Turkish cold pool.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:17 PM   #127
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Just noticed the crane base is in place for the Library building, two big red cranes on the Wigan skyline.. those native cretins won't know what's hit em!

and the pool progression

Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:52 PM   #128
WatcherZero

Two planning applications have been made for the conversion of the Mesnes Park Lodge on 26th March.

A/10/74034
and
A/10/74036

Document viewer on planning website seems to be down however
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #129
JohnnyLeigh

We really need to invest more in the hospital, considering its the main hospital for 300K people its just not good enough.
Missed a trick letting Tescos - Tescos!! - having the Central park site, that would have been ideal for a new hospital - perfect space for it, road links from every direction and practically in the heart of town.
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #130
WatcherZero

Expensive site however, Tesco paid 10m for it and the existing Infirmary sites larger I believe. plus they did acquire the old Grammer school to make a decent sized central outpatient department.

What I would probably do is build a multistory car park for staff at the existing one just to the south on that former mill site (name escapes me) and ban staff from parking at the main building. Theres already an NHS staff shuttlebus that runs between the Infirmary and the outpatients building every 20 minutes or so they could easily make it stop at a central car park.
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #131
JohnnyLeigh

10million! Your a font of information watcher
Your parking idea is a good one, certainly feasible.

I had a quick google of the sites and I dont think the existing site is bigger, might check properly tomorrow if i remember.
*Building on that central park site would allow for a new integrated design instead of the inefficient step by step design of the existing one. Also the new site could be built up instead of just sprawled - cheaper to do that on a new site than the trauma of building up an existing site.*

** marks a slight foray into fantasyland where funding for this is forthcoming.

This was all precipitated by my getting lost in Wigan getting to and coming from the hospital, while the desire for improved facilities came from anger that a relative who urgently needed an MRI had to wait 3 weeks.

Last edited by JohnnyLeigh; April 4th, 2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #132
JohnnyLeigh

'New' Development (i only just learned of it last night!)

Terrific economic news for Leigh:
Derelict factory on 12.7 acre site in the centre of town between the main shopping centre and the canal, 100ft from the bus station, is to be redeveloped in a £50million investment project.

Quote:
Salmon Harvester has signed up Tesco Extra and Cineworld to operate the supermarket and multiplex cinema proposed for its £50m retail and leisure-led scheme on the former Quinn radiator factory site on Spinning Jenny Way in Leigh town centre in Lancashire

In a planning application submitted on 16 September to Wigan Council, Salmon proposes a 100,000 sq ft supermarket, seven-screen cinema and four restaurants.
from http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...#ixzz0kH6pR6Ju

This would be a 112,000 sq ft Tesco Extra, 7 screen Cinema, 4 restaurants and landscaping improvements to the canal waterside.
Should create between 500-780 jobs.

The most pleasing part of this development for me is the cinema, having a cinema in Leigh has been needed for years.
Finally getting one and it being right in the town centre? Brilliant.
Will reinforce Leigh as the centre for the wider leigh area, help stop people going further -and solely by car - to the cinemas miles away in Wigan, Bolton, Warrington and the Trafford Centre. Therefore good for the environment as well.
The restaurants are positive aswell, having a cinema situated by canal side eateries will hopefully prove quite attractive.
Any supermarket is normally a bit blah, but this is a great location - again to have a large supermarket in the town centre will help draw people into the actual centre and not just shop in the edge of centre retail parks.
Also means Leigh will have the 'full set':
Asda, Sainsburys, Morrisons (planned at Sports village*) & Tesco (planned at town centre), plus Aldi, Lidl & Netto. All within about a mile of each other!

* = http://www.leighreporter.co.uk/jobst...LSV.5524145.jp

Excellent development really, despite the lacking of a housing development to keep Leighs population climbing - a small but ambitious 10 storey apartment tower by the canal would have made this perfect.
But we have the Bickershaw development which should boost Leigh by about 2K so it balances out.

---

When I think of how much the town has improved over the last 10 years, with the Sports Village, new retail park, new supermarkets (which haven't killed off the indoor market)
its quite amazing.
Random example = 10 years ago we had zero swimming pools now we have 3.
Ok its not everything, but thousands of jobs, vastly improved leisure facilities...
Leigh still needs Kenyon Junction or a Metrolink but thats really the only major battle left.
Makes me more worried about the Conservatives getting in though

---

Information about the development:
http://www.salmondevelopments.com/news_detail.php?id=40
Shows the site now, aerially from the west.
Larger version of the picture can be found on this small pdf if you dont feel like squinting:
http://www.salmondevelopments.com/do...ter%202009.pdf

http://www.salmondevelopments.com/pr...tail.php?id=53
Shows a picture of what the development will look like, aerially from the east.

Timeline of development:
http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3146674 bought the site in August.
http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3150545 signed up Tesco and Cineworld in October.
http://www.leighreporter.co.uk/leigh...led.5793783.jp proposals went on public display in November, recieved very positive reaction.

Only hitch might - surprise, surprise - be Wigan council determined to keep Leigh down -
Found the demolition application here:
http://www2.wigantoday.net/publicnotices/wpr609998.pdf
Part of it says the application does not adhere to the 'development plan of the area,' says it would 'affect the character and appearance of the area' - yes from a rotting crumbling dump ruining the town centre to a shiny new cinema and free parking!

If Wigan Council reject this I will buy a pitchfork, gather a mob and burn Wigan Town Hall to the ground.
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #133
WatcherZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
Two planning applications have been made for the conversion of the Mesnes Park Lodge on 26th March.

A/10/74034
and
A/10/74036

Document viewer on planning website seems to be down however
Plans are up now and pretty cool, all the park gates are having their original flags (currently under Tarmac) exposed. Old bowling green store being changed into a toilet block with lockers and changing rooms. Period features being restored externally.

The lodge is getting major refurb, basement a groundkeepers store, canteen, offices. Ground floor a reception, police office, small meeting and exhibition rooms and first floor two more offices. All bricked windows to be reglazed. The Lodge entrance gate original stone paths re-exposed but in addition the pedestrian area outside of the park will be changed to stone flags from tarmac, road narrowed and a pelican crossing installed.
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #134
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Tower crane was assembled today on the Library (North) Site, so now two red cranes dominating Wigan's skyline I'll get some pictures on Monday now the pace is picking up.

Webcam shots

The pool

The library

Just get us a 60m+ apartment block to the side of it all on the Tower Grand site!!
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #135
JohnnyLeigh

According to the Leigh Journal the new Morrisons, Tescos and Cinema have all been approved!

http://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/8...res_for_Leigh/

- Not quite sure how accurate this is as the developer said, in a very recent press release, that the decision wasn't due till the 4th of May.
So either the Leigh Journal is wrong, or Wigan Council have bumped it up to make sure that everyone knows about this well before the election.
Hopefully there will be some better confirmation soon.
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #136
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Perhaps we should rename the thread (again!) now we've both Wigan and Leigh coverage in full swing.
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #137
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Two photies from the 'Wigan is Changing' website

Pool progress

Library site
Old April 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #138
JohnnyLeigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferge View Post
Perhaps we should rename the thread (again!) now we've both Wigan and Leigh coverage in full swing.
Ha yep if you want to! I think Wigan refers to Wigan borough already though

You should definitely add something for the Sports Village on that first post seen as how its pretty much completed!
Maybe something about the Greenheart project in the 'under development'

- nice to see work coming along on the baths.

- Also, about the 'approval' of the 2 supermarkets & Cinema in Leigh;
That approval was from the wigan council Planning Officer, so hopefully the actual meeting on the 4th *should* just be a formality and we can see the south of the borough with its own cinema by mid-2011 + the hundreds of jobs in the supermarkets
^Obviously the newspaper article was just labour jumping the gun to get some positive publicity pre-election. Not that they really need it here.
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #139
ferge
Like 'Berg'

the top two floors have started to be assembled on the pool, giving it a bit more (much needed) bulk

You can also get a 'before and after' sense with the council block in the background, the left side is how it was before and the right with the new white and blue render.. I am still undecided on this whole renovation scheme of the blocks..
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM   #140
WatcherZero

As my mum points out its always ongoing as long as weve lived here, as soon as they finish renovating the last one they start a new renovation program on the first again.