daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.88 average.
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #101
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

Likes (Received): 901

exactly, piccadilly circus is a joke, shaftesbury avenue is dark, dingy and looks like the poor relation to broadway, soho is stuffed full of taxis, cars and vans when it could be cafes, restaurants and al fresco living.

Sponsored Links

Old July 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #102
chrissyb
Lincoln - London - Greece

Likes (Received): 1

I feel very strongly about this area, from Leicester Sq through Piccadilly and up Shaftesbury avenue - Shaftesbury avenue is really very poor, despite being a key part of 'Theatre Land'.

Down the Haymarket..fine....Piccadilly itself (the road) fine, behind Piccadilly - Glass House Street..fine!

The rest as mentioned above, just isn't very good....and it is a predominant and therefore important tourist area. In needs a big slap round the face.

As mentioned before I was under the impression there was a masterpaln for the whole area.

But I like this building....and hopefully it is a step in the right direction...
chrissyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #103
maggie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
exactly, piccadilly circus is a joke, shaftesbury avenue is dark, dingy and looks like the poor relation to broadway, soho is stuffed full of taxis, cars and vans when it could be cafes, restaurants and al fresco living.
what is the joke with piccadily circus. id sooner choose the beautiful historic buildings over what is just a bunch of advertisements that could be relocated anywhere, and last time i checked soho was full of cafes, bars and restaurants
and shaftesbury avenue is an amzing vibrant place full of creativity and beautiful buildings.
maggie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #104
Munch

Thanks for the replies monkey. And although i was initially coming across critical... i do have to admit that there isnt anywhere in the world that i can think of as any better. I guess part of the problem right now is being a penniless student.. but that shouldnt last for long ( i hope).

I will have to give those bars a try the next time i pop in. I have some friends from the states to show off... if we have a good few drinks i am sure they will have a good time.

But about the cinemas.... i have found myself in leicester square on more than one occassion prepared to see a film... and none of the cinemas were showing anything after 11. It was most likely a weekday, probably a wednesday or a thursday - do your experiences relate to weekdays too? I even called the movie hotline thing and the only shows remaining were playing ni Notting Hill or some out of reach cinemas....

Here is another little complaint... where are the 24hr cafes? I know London isnt the place to be partying the night away in.. err.. a cafe.. but sometimes i have stacks of work to do and would love to be able to settle in a nice spacious late night coffee bar in order to take advantage of some spectacular london views on the way home... any suggestions here? Houston has a 24 hr starbucks... now we all know we dont want more starbucks, but are there laws preventing 24 hr coffee shops?
Munch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #105
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

bar italia, comptons cafe.... but blame Westminster council for not allowing more 24 hour places.

They hate people having fun.
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #106
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 61

Maggie, Piccadilly Circus wouldnt be anything without the signs, thats its history and what made it famous
Old July 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #107
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5257

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie
id sooner choose the beautiful historic buildings over what is just a bunch of advertisements
That's just crazy!

Piccadilly Circus just wouldn't BE Piccadilly Circus without those adverts, signs and video screens
(including the coca cola sign which is the largest display of its kind in the world).

It's up there with Big Ben, Tower Bridge, St Paul's, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square as one of
the most famous icons of London.

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #108
maggie

yes for the ones that are already there but the idea of having them spread over the other buildings in piccadilly circus i sickening
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #109
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2235

but maggie, they used to be spread all over piccadilly circus.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #110
maggie

but that doesnt make it right that that should be the case now. the buildings in piccadilly circus are stunning with immense detail. why should be hidden behind advetisments that could easily be placed on any number of architecturally bland buildings. i think the advertisments on the building thats there now are more than enough and any further expansion should be based around parts of leicester square ie the swiss centre, i would sooner see that building redisgned to give london some ad heaven, particularly as people would actually be able to stop and look at it without being crushed and shoved as happens with piccadily circus
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #111
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

I am not suggesting that billboards cover up all the buildings, but they could be added on the top of the existing signs, on the roofs of other buildings tereby preserving the buildings, or just general improvement in shop signage take the Virgin store and compare it to the Virgin store in Times Sq, simple measures would make a massive difference.

Hell, even imaginative lighting in the pavement would be a first step.

Westminster council have such a mental block when it comes to vision and improving the built realm of the west end and by doing nothing eventually the area will stagnate and is alreayd showing signs of it now.

While Soho does have lots of wonderful restaurants and bars most are severely restricted in opening hours and cannot have outside tables because of Westminsters councils refusal to pedestrianise sections of soho.
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #112
maggie

the problem westminster has is its large residential population, residents who pay more to live there and equally complain more what central london living isnt to there satisfaction, its because of the amount of resdients around soho and the west end that westminster council will never allow 24 hour opening for many places.. even general retail stores that wish to stay open later. as for soho its completely bizarre that its tiny streets are open to general traffic. surely it wouldnt cost them that much to install bollards that allow access only for deliveries
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #113
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

I live in Covent Garden and the main problem with noise is not from bars and shops its from lone individuals in the middle of the night screaming. But thats because we all have traditional windows because Westminster Council has designated soho and covent garden conservation areas which means we can't have double glazing.

You do not move to the West End and expect it to be quiet. I hate people like that, the whole reason for living in the west end is to nbe close to all the action, not to want a quiet suburban life.
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #114
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
I live in Covent Garden and the main problem with noise is not from bars and shops its from lone individuals in the middle of the night screaming. But thats because we all have traditional windows because Westminster Council has designated soho and covent garden conservation areas which means we can't have double glazing.
Too right.....there is nothing i hate more than seeing a beautiful old building destroyed by ugly looking double glazing. Even the most respectful and expensive double glazing looks terrible. I have lived in 2 conservation areas, but unfortunatly the rules dont seem to be adhered to and people have gone and stuffed cheap double glazing onto their houses.

Anyway, back to Picadilly circus........personally, i love the neon signs and advertising, and i think if they were extended to other places in the square it would look great. I do agree that the architecture is lovely, but i'm pretty certain that since the current buildings were constructed they have always had advertising on them, so its not nesicarily somthing that wasnt planned. Regents street is beautiful, but i think it really works well with the ever changing excitment of Picadilly Circus.
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #115
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)

I've always thought of screens on the floor and building the bill-boards and signs higher above the buildings and not covering over the facades.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #116
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1004

Quote:
Here is another little complaint... where are the 24hr cafes? I know London isnt the place to be partying the night away in.. err.. a cafe.. but sometimes i have stacks of work to do and would love to be able to settle in a nice spacious late night coffee bar in order to take advantage of some spectacular london views on the way home... any suggestions here? Houston has a 24 hr starbucks... now we all know we dont want more starbucks, but are there laws preventing 24 hr coffee shops?
I totally totally totally agree !!! But blame westminster boring council for this...bunch of werthers originals farts...
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #117
maggie

well london is actually a great place to party the night away in. just not in the west end, areas like camden, vauxhall, clapham and brixton is where londons real nightlife is at
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #118
elliott

Likes (Received): 7

am i just being thick, but can't you have double glazed windows in wooden frames which can perfectly match the originals. You don't have to have PVC frames, which i agree ruin buildings, even on some suburban housing estates from the 1930's where they've spent thousands and they look cheap but right next door they've got old wooden windows with much better quality stained glass etc. I know it can be done as my cousin and her husband, bought a 1930's semi and had new frames made and had the original stained glass placed between new glass protecting it and preserving the character of the house.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #119
JDRS
Against ID Cards

^ Yeah it can definetely be done. Just requires a bit more cash.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #120
chrissyb
Lincoln - London - Greece

Those pictures that WJFox2002 posted show the area in all it's stunning glory, and why would anyone have any complaints - You can't criticise those views toward Regent Street - it's the other way that's the problem!

Piccadilly circus has in actual fact improved with the inclusion of the upgraded signage - you can't beat that daytime at night effect for sheer excitement.

However...

Buggery King - Boots - Gap - begone - that's where you want your continental 24hr cafe - look how they lower the tone...

chrissyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: