daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.88 average.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1461
cnapan

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldss@hotmail.co.u View Post
If they extended the roof a little and kept ALL the original features, they could make a real land mark.

I like it!

P.S. I can hereby announce that the rubbish ice cream parlour with the plastic ice cream in the window seems to be officially dead now.

There's a 'to let' sign in the window. Who's going to let this property for 4-5 months though? Pop-up tourist tat shop maybe?
cnapan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:09 AM   #1462
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 121

Great photomontage Mouldss!
Black Cat está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1463
sk327

Likes (Received): 127

Are there any plans for the building on the left of the empire cinema?
sk327 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #1464
SkyScraperRaper

Likes (Received): 80

Went to Leicester Square for the 1st time the other day. I felt that it needed to be opened up. It needed to be a open space, felt too claustrophobic. No1 was really using the central grassy area. How does it work when there is a Premier, looks like there isn't much room for fans.
SkyScraperRaper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1465
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1009

Opened up? Disagree. I just want there to be more encouragement for people to use the central area. There also needs to be some more screens. Okay it's Piccadilly Circus but the main neon area could be added to by building it higher, but perhaps that would be ungainly.
'The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.'
- Heraclitus
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1466
Bowater

Likes (Received): 61

Leicester Square Hotel Plan

I'm surprised no thread has been created on this article today or bumped to the top. It's on a new mega development on Leicester Square, I had been searching for some pictures...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...t-8894168.html

Quote:
Leicester Square hotel plan would destroy historic Tommy Cooper pub… just like that

The Mayor’s officials have raised “serious concerns“ about plans to demolish the Leicester Square block that hosts an Odeon cinema and the historic Hand & Racquet pub, frequented by Britain’s most famous comedians.

Radisson Edwardian has applied for permission to demolish six buildings and build a 360-bedroom hotel and leisure complex. It would mean the destruction of the Odeon West End, built in the Thirties, which hosts the BFI London Film Festival, and the Victorian pub whose regulars included Tommy Cooper, Tony Hancock and Sid James.

The nine-storey hotel would have a spa with swimming pool, and there would be a new Odeon cinema and banqueting suite below ground.

Westminster council has referred the planning application to the Greater London Authority for guidance because of its scale. In their report GLA planners say they are concerned about the “loss of key heritage assets”, although none of the buildings is listed. They state: “Complete demolition of all buildings … is not in accordance with planning policy, and would cause harm to Leicester Square conservation area”.

They say the cinema façade, the Hand and Racquet pub, and Broadmead House are all “strong positive contributions to the character of the area, and should be retained and restored as part of any redevelopment proposals”. The report raises concerns over “the impact of the proposed building on the setting of Grade I-listed Trafalgar Square, and the Grade II-listed National Gallery”.

Conservation groups opposed to the development wrote to Westminster urging it to reject the application, saying: “The destruction of so many high-quality Victorian, Edwardian and 20th-century buildings will cause great harm.” The Hand & Racquet, built in 1865, once bore a blue plaque, removed after the pub closed four years ago.

It read: “The upstairs became a mecca for comedy, artists such as Tony Hancock, Sid James and Tommy Cooper were often seen quaffing ale.” Cooper would peer through the windows to see who was in, as he tried to avoid buying drinks for people. But everyone would see his fez and follow him in. Hancock scriptwriters Ray Galton and Alan Simpson were regulars and the pub features in his shows.

James Hughes, of the Victorian Society, said: “This is a magnet for tourists.” Radisson is believed to have paid about £100 million last year for the site, between the south side of Leicester Square, Panton Street, St Martin’s Street, Orange Street, and Whitcomb Street.
Bowater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:40 AM   #1467
sk327

I had a hope that it would be the building on the left of empire cinema when I read the thread title. Why don't they just build it there? Its so awful that absolutely nobody would complain about it.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1468
delores

Likes (Received): 150

Is this not Make architects scheme?. I hope it's reconsidered to keep the art deco cinema and some sense of history in this square.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1469
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1525

The curvy MAKE scheme was ditched a few years back.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1470
.Adam

Likes (Received): 126

The new design is a much lumpier, dull, watered down, 2013 proposal.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:00 PM   #1471
provocative
mouldss

Likes (Received): 117

All being demolished? Wish there was a guardian for this city and country.

Loathing liked this post
provocative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #1472
jack_jones

Likes (Received): 60

Any pics of what is replacing it? The original buildings look nice and perfectly suitable to the area.
jack_jones no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1473
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1525

jake-potato, jamiefearon liked this post
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1474
sk327

I don't know what to say about that. The new design it not bad at all, but I wouldn't like the old buildings get demolished for others that can be found in any other city. But then again this picture doesn't look really good either:
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1475
Loathing
BANNED

Likes (Received): 369

They could so easily keep and incorporate the main Art Deco facade. It would even add some glamour and class to the development. They're making a serious mistake here.
And I'm surprised a rare Art Deco cinema-building of that size and significance is not listed.

jake-potato, DodgyEye liked this post
Loathing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:46 PM   #1476
Tellvis

Likes (Received): 45

The new proposal is simply not good enough IMO. If all the Vic & Ed buildings in this block were thoroughly cleaned and renovated they would look fantastic and much more suited to LS. So frustrating that since next door there are a couple of 60's 70's shite blocks that need demo. I hope the planners reject this scheme, but sadly I suspect that 'brown envelopes' may win the day..............and another slice of London heritage will bite the dust, alas.

jake-potato, the spliff fairy liked this post
Tellvis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1477
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Looks like tacky mid 80s-90s crap you would find in a town centre like Bromley.
Core Rising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:20 PM   #1478
delores

Likes (Received): 150

Not really a worthy replacement. The cinema and adjacent building just need to be refurbished as opposed to complete demolition.

Langur, the spliff fairy liked this post
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1479
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 11892

The redevelopment of the Odeon Leicester Square was item 1 of the planning committee meeting tonight at Westminster.

We should know the decision imminently.

-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:19 PM   #1480
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 11892

Approved.

-
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: