daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Skylines

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Rate the skyline
10 67 19.88%
9.5 14 4.15%
9 20 5.93%
8.5 11 3.26%
8 26 7.72%
7.5 14 4.15%
7 33 9.79%
6.5 21 6.23%
6 31 9.20%
5.5 7 2.08%
5 22 6.53%
4.5 10 2.97%
4 19 5.64%
3.5 6 1.78%
3 or less 36 10.68%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #261
FAAN

Likes (Received): 39662

[IMG]http://i46.************/fbjbbl.png[/IMG]

Águas Claras

image hosted on flickr

SAM 28000 ("Air Force One&quot em Brasília por FC Monteiro, no Flickr
FAAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #262
FAAN

image hosted on flickr
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #263
FAAN

Brasília's Suburbs

Old April 17th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #264
guanambiense roxo

Likes (Received): 10473

Brasília tem um skyline rico em prédios médios de uns 60,80 metros. Águas Claras é super densa!!!
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #265
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Please use English since you and me are on the World Forum
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #266
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I'll move my post to this new page so RPFiguerido can respond:

RPFigueiredo, let's look at these pictures one-by-one

Tell me what is beautiful about this landscape. I see a flat wasteland with two concrete monstrosities called 'modernist gems'. It looks like a picture taken in 1960 in any random Soviet city. You may hate opulence but when I look at the seat of the world's 7th largest economy like Brazil, I expect to see a building that exhibits opulence and dignity. What do we have instead? Two side-by-side commieblocks, a massive plaza that looks like an American-style surface parking lot, a barren terrain with no discernible landscape or terraforming to note and two buildings beside the parking lot that look like my elementary school. That's noteworthy to you? That's somehow beautiful to you? It looks like an old American office park.

Let's look at this one now:

Again, tell me how this showcases urbanity. It looks like a ghost town. Ugly old apartments and massive streets that destroy any chance of a vibrant pedestrian cityscape. Where are the sidewalks? Or is this car-dependant hellscape supposed to be beautiful as well. Just because a picture is black and white doesn't make it beautiful my friend

Again, what's so special here? You tell me Brasilia is supposed to be unique yet this is clearly a two-bit knockoff of the National Mall in Washington DC. The only problem is that unlike the mall there's no street-level vibrancy. Then you have six-lane highways next to this supposed pedestrian-friendly park near the Capital. How does this foster vibrancy? This picture could be Nairobi or Abuja or Maputo or any third world city. There's nothing particularly beautiful to look at here.

Here's Washington DC's National Mall by comparison:
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/hi...800/15872v.jpg
http://www.globaltimes.cn/Portals/0/...39e43cdcb.jpeg
Now Washington has many problems as well but all in all is a very beautiful city. Washington blends beautiful lush vegetation with a dignified and opulent building. It follows symmetry but also respects urbanity. There is a corridor (the National Mall) just like in Brasilia but there aren't massive highways sectioning off the National Mall. Unlike Brasilia where the corridor is full of ministries, the National Mall in the US is home to all of America's greatest treasures. From the National Gallery of Art to the Air and Space Museum, you could spend a week just looking at everything in the National Mall. DC also is a city with few highrises but has a lot more urbanity to it that is lacking in Brasilia. Brasilia has a density of 1,145 per square mile. Washington has a density of 10,000+ per square mile. Brasilia seems committed to making sure all parts of the city look the same. Washington DC has various different neighborhoods with different architecture (Chinatown, Georgetown, Atlas District, Adams-Morgan). So Washington has symmetry and all that formulaic nonsense but it also manages to blend an urban layout with a strong commitment to a vibrant street-level landscape. So it's definitely possible to blend both. I'm not against urban planning and I'm not against modernism. I'm against the way it was implemented in Brasilia where you now have a capitol that looks dead, bland, ugly, full of concrete, and empty. Brasilia has 2.6 million people but it looks like Tyson's Corner, Virginia an office park of 50,000. That's not something to be proud of

Tyson's Corner
http://therealestatedirt.com/files/2...onsskyline.jpg
http://thecityfix.com/files/2013/02/...7b_z_VaDOT.jpg
http://photorator.com/photos/images/...-va--10246.jpg

Tell me how Brasilia looks any different than this dry American city of 50,000?

No, Washington is probably one of the most boring big cities in America. Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, San Francisco are all funner. And when did I say Washington was innovative? I never said that. You guys keep dropping the word 'unique' when talking about Brasilia when all it is is a badly done copy of Washington! So neither Brasilia nor Washington are particularly innovative. Washington though is prettier and has a better cityscape. You would think that Brasilia, the capital of a BRICS nation, could at least look different than Nairobi or Tyson's Corner. Show someone a picture of Rio and they'll guess correctly in a snap. Show someone a picture of Brasilia and 99.999% chance they won't get it right.
(For me) atleast Brasília is better than [that f***** up] city of Jakarta or Manila or Karachi
and BTW, i like Brasília!

Last edited by bozenBDJ; April 17th, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #267
NewCrucks

Likes (Received): 428

fonte

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...levant_count=1

FAAN, bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by NewCrucks; April 17th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
NewCrucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #268
FAAN

[IMG]http://i37.************/2aa09wo.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:31 PM   #269
RPFigueiredo
The Modernist

Likes (Received): 622

Happy 53rd Anniversary!
RPFigueiredo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #270
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulistanus View Post
I already gave my vote and only have a few missing tallest buildings = 9,5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFigueiredo View Post
I was actually gonna write a bit more trying to explain the role Brazil played in the development of modern architecture during the past century and about the development of a light, democratic monumentality, but since 'you couldn't care less', I'll keep living and let live. Go enjoy the monstruosity that is Dubai. I'm am sure that you consider that to be more 'unique' and less 'suburban' than this:
My question was, what makes Brasilia any more special than any other city in the world. How has its architecture that you've stressed so much improved quality of life, reduced universal issues like traffic congestion, etc. You said the city was planned so it resembled a plane, exactly how has that in anyway gave the city a competitive edge by reducing commuter time, better utilizing resources, etc? If so, then perhaps I'd be more interested. If not, then really I could care less what role the city played in the development of modern architecture, or urban planning.

I'm aware architecture is important in how we view a skyline, but Brasilia's skyline is pretty much non-existent. That means yes even Dubai built in less than 13 years has a better skyline. FYI I'm not a fan of Dubai (since you assumed), but since you brought it up yes it beats Brasilia simply due to the fact it actually has a skyline.

Quote:
I know many of you consider this last example to be a boring, boxy building, but please remember that we're part of a diferent culture. We are simple people who prefer elegance over opulence.
I can respect that.
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:26 PM   #271
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAAN View Post
It could be any average American city, or well-planned, low-density city with great foliage in the world. Dude I understand your capital is so 'special' but Brasilia isn't the first planned city (capital or not).
Old April 21st, 2013, 10:33 PM   #272
FAAN

I know that Brasilia is not the only planned city. But its plan and its architecture are unique and innovative.
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:45 PM   #273
RPFigueiredo
The Modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post
My question was, what makes Brasilia any more special than any other city in the world. How has its architecture that you've stressed so much improved quality of life, reduced universal issues like traffic congestion, etc. You said the city was planned so it resembled a plane, exactly how has that in anyway gave the city a competitive edge by reducing commuter time, better utilizing resources, etc? If so, then perhaps I'd be more interested. If not, then really I could care less what role the city played in the development of modern architecture, or urban planning.

I'm aware architecture is important in how we view a skyline, but Brasilia's skyline is pretty much non-existent. That means yes even Dubai built in less than 13 years has a better skyline. FYI I'm not a fan of Dubai (since you assumed), but since you brought it up yes it beats Brasilia simply due to the fact it actually has a skyline.
Again, the city HAPPENED to resemble an airplane. The architecture is one of the very few succesful examples of state representation within the modernist movement. It is also a symbol of the technological advance in concrete construction (Brazil was world leader in concrete technology in the 50s and 60s).

The plan was based on modernist ideals of organizing the spaces according to ther functions - housing, work, leisure, culture - with independend circulation. There is no traffic jams in Brasília as there's no corners nor traffic lights.

The city is spetacular for those who own cars. The problem is that in the 60s architects thought that the car was the furutre and everyone would have one. What's the reality today? Cars are evil!
But that also shows Brasília's inovation: even in the 60's Costa planned very green and human residential sectors - made for pedestrians. So there you have - two futuristic concepts.

And finally, we don't want a skyline, we want the classical perspective of the beautiful silhouette of the national congress (see the picture I posted above). Dubai has a better skyline... but what does it mean? What does it say about the culture of that country and people?

bozenBDJ liked this post

Last edited by RPFigueiredo; April 23rd, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:37 AM   #274
èđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPFigueiredo View Post
Again, the city HAPPENED to resemble an airplane. The architecture is one of the very few succesful examples of state representation within the modernist movement. It is also a symbol of the technological advance in concrete construction (Brazil was world leader in concrete technology in the 50s and 60s).

The plan was based on modernist ideals of organizing the spaces according to ther functions - housing, work, leisure, culture - with independend circulation. There is no traffic jams in Brasília as there's no corners nor traffic lights.

The city is spetacular for those who own cars. The problem is that in the 60s architects thought that the car was the furutre and everyone would have one. What's the reality today? Cars are evil!

But that also shows Brasília's inovation: even in the 60's Costa planned very green and human residential sectors - made for pedestrians. So there you have - two futuristic concepts.
So original plan combined concepts for cars and pedestrians, and planned how the city functions in all areas to ensure any traffic flow from other outside spaces doesn't cause unnecessary congestion . Interesting and really no corners or traffic lights? I'll admit I've never heard of that. I learned something new today.

But did the original planning take into consideration the city's population growing to its current large size , or was the city planned to be just a small capital?

Quote:
And finally, we don't want a skyline, we want the classical perspective of the beautiful silhouette of the national congress (see the picture I posted above). Dubai has a better skyline... but what does it mean? What does it say about the culture of that country and people?
I've never been to either so I can't comment on their culture. But I was just talking skyscrapers. Numerically Dubai wins hands down but of course in the grand scheme of things that doesn't mean much.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:03 AM   #275
Bel Ami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

8/10
Bel Ami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:52 AM   #276
RPFigueiredo
The Modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by èđđeůx View Post
But did the original planning take into consideration the city's population growing to its current large size , or was the city planned to be just a small capital?
No, that was one of the criticisms from the jury. It was meant for 500,000 and that's it. The issue nowadays is thats there's more than 5x that...
The idea was that the capital would grown to its final size, then other towns would start to grown around it. But it's the capital, people want to live in it...
The result of this utopian ideal, coupled with horrendous administrations is the satellite cities around the actual 'plane' (the original plan). And this is the cause of most of Brasílias urban problems. The city is fine for those who live in the superquadras.
Old May 11th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #277
FAAN

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #278
Gutovsky

Likes (Received): 5944

A city with an amazing architecture and planning, but as most recent planned cities, it does not have a good skyline. 7/10
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:57 PM   #279
NewCrucks

Likes (Received): 428

fonte

fonte
NewCrucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #280
Carlos_Halliwell

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I don't know. This to me doesn't look like a thriving city. Where's the density? I see empty plots of grass but few parks. I see what looks to be like a developing skyline but all those highrises have ridiculous gaps between them. The architecture looks homogenous and monotonous and I'm actually shocked it has 3 million+. It looks like it has 500k at most. Rio de Janeiro on the other hand has the setting, the density, the history, the natural beauty, the vibrancy, the shopping, the arts, the brand, the culture, everything. It's the greatest city in South America so I think moving the capital to a glorified provincial town like Brasilia is a disservice to Brazil. It's like Canberra. Half the workers in Canberra flee to Sydney every weekend because Canberra's so boring! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21715754

And it's not even centralized. Centralized would be Northeast Mato Grosso (not that it matters). I think Brazil having a centralized capital is dumb since there's no aggressive nations and the population is centralized on the coast. Moving the capital to Brasilia has barely moved the population center inland. If anything, the capital being in Brasilia leads to deforestation because forests are being cut down to settle interior lands for no reason. Move it back to Rio! or Sao Paulo! Even Salvador! Belem, Manaus, i don't care. Just not Brasilia. Not a fan of Niemeyer at all...
And it's not even centralized. Centralized would be Northeast Mato Grosso (not that it matters). I think Brazil having a centralized capital is dumb since there's no aggressive nations and the population is centralized on the coast. Moving the capital to Brasilia has barely moved the population center inland. If anything, the capital being in Brasilia leads to deforestation because forests are being cut down to settle interior lands for no reason. Move it back to Rio! or Sao Paulo! Even Salvador! Belem, Manaus, i don't care. Just not Brasilia. Not a fan of Niemeyer at all...[/QUOTE]

1. Brasilia was planned for being a low-density city.
2. Most people live in the satellite cities.
3. Rio de Janeiro is way too far from Brazil's center. It clearly is not the right place for a capital. Besides, just because is one of Brazil's largest cities doesn't mean it has to be its capital.
4. Brasilia is not in the middle of a forest. It is in the "cerrado", a savannah-like climate.
5. Having 2.5 million people living in a previously empty place is much more than "barely moving population center inland". It sounds like a great change.

So, yes, like somebody else said, you're only exposing your ignorance in here.

Anyway, love Brasilia!!! I'd love to visit it someday
Carlos_Halliwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
brasilia, brazil, skyline