daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:55 PM   #21
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
NOTHING! Now its just an empty piece of reclaimed land, with some trees and grass, and 1 completed skyscraper, 2 skyscrapers under construction and 1 land parcel sold to a HK Singapore developer.
4 skyscrapers under construction right at the moment of this post.

1 Raffles Quay = 2
The Sail = 2

Also under construction now, is the Marina Barrage project.

Over the next few years the construction will intensify as the BFC project and Integrated Resort and new MRT extension get underway.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:19 PM   #22
drwho
slacker oui!

Likes (Received): 1

that looks awesome!
drwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM   #23
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary24
Im very skeptical of the trend to develop new extensions of CBDs by governments. Urban areas evolve over time, they cannot be created in a few years. What will be created is a concrete jungle without any soul. Docklands in Melbourne is another perfect example. Although Marina is a lot smaller than Docklands, Docklands clearly proved that governments are inefficient when managing large urban renewal developments.
London Docklands is a positive example. The first new docklands-type projects is a wonderful regeneration project.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:40 PM   #24
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Wow, that's going to look great. What was there before? I'm amazed by how much Singapore can grow being such a small space.
What was there before?

Sea.

The land is entirely reclaimed. The reclamation for the CBD started in the late 70s:

some more views

Singapore has continuously been reclaiming land right until today and it is still continuing.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 03:32 PM   #25
HD

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
London Docklands is a positive example. The first new docklands-type projects is a wonderful regeneration project.

london docklands is not a postive example. first it was struck by a real estate crisis in the 80s and became a symbol of failed planning. only many many years later the docklands became relatively popular. it surely is a nice regeneration project but not a very inspiring one I'm afraid. the architecture is boring. and it's not very livable either. that shopping center is a symbol of mediocracy - fits well into canary wharf though...

now, singapore's development looks fabulous. it will be integrated into the adjacent city center - unlike canary wharf.
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #26
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Very exciting, so many projects.....
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #27
redstone
Lurker

This is the Marina Barrage, now u/c.
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #28
Qatar4Ever

Likes (Received): 0

Singapore is an amazing country. I loved it on my last visit, and i remeber how amazed I was walking along boat quay. I would definitly go back once this project is completed.

I have a couple of nice shot of singapore and its skyline www.flickr.com/abdulla_qatar

You can see the skyline today and then think of it doubled in size to get an idea of how big this project is !!

Good Luck Singapore.
Qatar4Ever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #29
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

Wow............
i love u Singapore...........!!!!
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #30
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD
london docklands is not a postive example. first it was struck by a real estate crisis in the 80s and became a symbol of failed planning. only many many years later the docklands became relatively popular. it surely is a nice regeneration project but not a very inspiring one I'm afraid. the architecture is boring. and it's not very livable either. that shopping center is
I agree. Having been to the London Docklands, my impressions are of a desolate, unwelcoming, windswept 9-to-5 urban nightmare. Hopelessly uninspired architecture and nothing to attract anybody other than the workers. ((shudder)). Mediocrity is the keyword.
Old July 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #31
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Singapore is an amazing city. It beats Dubai by far, yet keeps a very low profile. I like its modesty, yet the city does not have to stand back to the likes of Hong Kong and Shangai. Well done!
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #32
Mauricio Canada
Mauricio Canada

What a beautiful project Singapore!
Hopefully it will all go as planned.

Keep us updated on the constructions
at the Marina Bay!
Mauricio Canada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #33
redstone
Lurker

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=174108
The Sail, 245m super luxury condominiums.

20 July 2005

[IMG]http://************/99nqmq.jpg[/IMG]
By RafflesCity
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #34
redstone
Lurker

One Raffles Quay, 245m office tower

^As at 9 July
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #35
Intoxication
Everythin bubble of water

Likes (Received): 20549

This project will make Singapore's skyline even more beautiful.
Intoxication no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #36
redstone
Lurker

Actually the Downtown project was announced in 2004....
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #37
redstone
Lurker

Site of New Downtown, pano by Hyacinthus from the terrace at Overseas Union House.

Last edited by redstone; August 7th, 2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #38
thryve

Likes (Received): 22

One Raffles Quay is cool!
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:59 AM   #39
RafflesCity
By Spirit

S'pore set to be 'sparkling jewel' in 10 years' time

Marina Bay, Orchard Road, heartland part of all-encompassing vision of nation at 50

22 Aug 05

By Li Xueying

IMAGINE in 10 years, when Singapore turns 50, that you are in Shenton Way surrounded by familiar tower blocks - but the scene as you gaze out to Marina Bay is totally different from now.

Instead of bumboats and a distant view of trees on reclaimed land, you see not one, not two, but three gardens, an integrated resort and a shimmering finance centre.

There's a cosmopolitan buzz as joggers, espresso-sipping office workers and sightseers both local and foreign throng the 'Bayfront' that makes up the gateway to one of Asia's most exciting cities - and what's more, there's good fengshui as well.

This is part of the vision of Singapore as a 'vibrant, global' city that was outlined by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong in his speech last night.

Armed with video slides and enthusiasm, Mr Lee described how Singapore can become a dynamic city, not just for attracting tourists, but 'also to create an outstanding living environment for all Singaporeans'.

To achieve this, Singapore should capitalise on its strengths - its multicultural heritage, clean and safe environment, disciplined and energetic people, and a cosmopolitan and open society, said Mr Lee.

Just as other cities such as New York and Dubai are reinventing themselves, so should Singapore.

'Our city must be full of life, energy and excitement,' said Mr Lee. 'It must be a place where people want to live, work and play, and where they are stimulated to achieve, be creative and enjoy life.'

From Orchard Road for shoppers, Bras Basah and Bugis for students, to heartland estates like Toa Payoh for residents, rejuvenation has begun. And 'in five to 10 years' it will be seen taking shape, he said.

The most exciting change - the 'centrepiece', as Mr Lee puts it - will take place in Marina Bay. 'The Bayfront will be the signature image of Singapore,' he said.

He showed a slide of the new downtown in 10 years, with three gardens, a lake - the new Marina Barrage reservoir - an integrated resort and a business and financial centre.

The largest garden will be next to the integrated resort at Marina South. The size of the current Botanic Gardens at 50ha, it will be ready by 2010. There will be a 30ha waterfront garden at Marina East and a 10ha beachfront garden at Marina Centre.

They will be linked by bridges, forming a waterfront loop 'so that you can walk, jog, or even run a marathon around the Bay', said Mr Lee. Other changes include the extension of One Fullerton to Collyer Quay, the redevelopment of Clifford Pier, and the new business and financial centre.

'We will have a Garden City by the Bay,' said Mr Lee, using a Chinese phrase - 'you shan, you shui' - meaning 'got mountains, got water'. He added: 'Very good fengshui!'

Over at Orchard Road, plans are brewing to make it 'one of the great streets of the world, a place to see and be seen'. The vacant site over Orchard MRT station will be transformed into a focal point with event space and an observation tower in a building up to 40 storeys high. A few MRT stops away, the Bras Basah and Bugis area is being revived as a student and artists' enclave.

As for HDB estates - in which more than 80 per cent of Singaporeans reside - more will be rejuvenated, the way Toa Payoh has been transformed, Mr Lee promised. Singapore's second-oldest housing estate now has modern 40-storey flats with 'million-dollar views', a new town centre, and new offices. Other towns that will follow in the upgrading plan include Ang Mo Kio, Bedok and Clementi, said Mr Lee.

This is all part of the vision of a city that is 'a sparkling jewel, a home for all of us to be proud of, a home that belongs to all of us'.

Industry players approved. Said architect John Ting: 'It's a very comprehensive vision, starting with the important base - the HDB estates where the people live.

'The transformations on the Marina Bay are connected with the civic district and the shopping areas. All the pieces are being pulled together into an all-embracing vision.'

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:31 AM   #40
gucci_london
BANNED

when the consturction work is finished and everythfing singapore will even have better skyline.
gucci_london no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
marina bay, marina bay sands, singapore