daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 124 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2681
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by legslikeaspider

Interesting figures there, I'd love to see a source so we could look at airports in Canada and the rest of the USA. Certainly, it looks like there is scope for a daily Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt. Passengers could then connect there, rather than at LHR for destinations such as Milan, Munich, Zurich. On those figures, there's only just enough for a weekly Airbus 319 sized plane to each destination. Vegas might work with a weekly 250 seat airplane but I would imagine a lot of Glasgow travellers include Vegas as a stop on a tour of other parts of USA e.g. San Fran, Los Angeles, Vegas.
Legs, that's not how the figures are worked out exactly. If I recall it basically means that these are for actual recorded indirect passengers. However, a direct route would attract many many more people.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 14th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2682
legslikeaspider

Likes (Received): 68

I'm not disputing you. That's why I asked GlasgowMan for a source so I could find out more. But, I'd be surprised if my point doesn't still stand that for many cities, especially long-haul the local demand isn't quite there.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #2683
RapidTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by legslikeaspider
I'm not disputing you. That's why I asked GlasgowMan for a source so I could find out more. But, I'd be surprised if my point doesn't still stand that for many cities, especially long-haul the local demand isn't quite there.
Aye I'd say you're right. Long haul is pretty well covered from Glasgow, it's the Euro city routes we need to beef up. Hopefully now that Edi is being offloaded we might see some more euro routes appearing at Gla.
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #2684
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTaco View Post
Legs, that's not how the figures are worked out exactly. If I recall it basically means that these are for actual recorded indirect passengers. However, a direct route would attract many many more people.
Yes, that’s exactly how these figures are worked out. For example, the 10,431 passengers flying Glasgow-Boston are flying Glasgow-NYC-Boston or Glasgow-Reykjavik-Boston etc on through booked connections. It does not take into account people driving to other airports or people booking separate flights, ie easyjet to Amsterdam and then on a separate booking, Amsterdam to Boston.

It is purely single-ticket connections.

There will be significantly more travelling to Manchester and other airports, rather than using Glasgow’s hub feeding flights. As I’ve said, we’re losing 2 million passengers each year to other airports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legslikeaspider View Post
Glasgow is very well served with long haul flights, 18 long haul routes at present. However there is still room for more. New routes to Boston, Chicago Halifax, Lahore and Ottawa alongside more flights to Calgary, New York, Orlando and Vancouver would be very well supported. These are the long haul markets Glasgow International Airport are targeting.

This is a link to the source of the figures, Glasgow International Airports page on the Route Shop. http://www.therouteshop.com/glasgow-airport/

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2685
craig lindsay

Likes (Received): 7

Loganair launches new Glasgow to Newquay service.

Quote:
Five flights a week planned for peak June to August period

Loganair has launched a new direct service between Glasgow and Newquay in Corwall.

A Loganair Saab 340 aircraft will operate up to five times per week between Glasgow Airport and the seaside town with the flight taking just under two hours.

The new route has launched with flights Thursday through Sunday with an additional Monday flight being added from June 25 to August 27 to meet peak demand.

Loganair’s chief operating officer Jonathan Hinkles said: “We are extremely pleased to launch today what is an entirely new route for Loganair.

“The Glasgow to Newquay flights offer our passengers frequent, convenient and cost-effective services to one of the most popular visitor destinations in the UK.

“We have already taken a significant number of advance bookings since tickets went on sale last September.

“It is clear that people looking to travel between Glasgow and Newquay see competitively-priced air services as a hugely-convenient alternative to long and arduous rail and road journeys between the two destinations.

“Today’s launch again underlines Loganair’s commitment to further develop services outwith our traditional Highlands and Islands network, and it’s one which will be of huge benefit to our customers.”

Last September the long-standing Glasgow to Newquay route was stopped following the closure of Plymouth-based Air Southwest, which previously operated the service.

Loganair confirmed in August last year that it would step in to continue the popular service from April 2012.
http://www.business7.co.uk/business-...6408-23814322/
craig lindsay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2686
RapidTaco

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17673909

BAA airport traffic in March boosted by early Easter

The number of passengers travelling through BAA's airports in March rose by 4% on the previous year, thanks largely to Easter falling earlier in 2012.

The airport operator said 8.6 million passengers used its six UK airports in the month.

BAA said "a substantial proportion" of pre-Easter traffic fell in March whereas it fell in April last year.

BAA operates Heathrow, Stansted, Southampton, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports.

However, it plans to sell Edinburgh after the Competition Commission told it to sell one of its Scottish hubs.

The UK's busiest airport, Heathrow, saw 5.7 million passengers pass through its terminals in March, a rise of 6.9% on the year.

That meant that the London airport saw more than 70 million passengers over a 12-month period for the first time, which BAA called a "major milestone".

Aberdeen saw a 10.2% rise in passenger numbers, while Glasgow saw a 4.6% rise.

However, numbers fell at Stansted (-4.7%), Southampton (-1.7%) and Edinburgh (-2.8%).
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #2687
RapidTaco

http://www.jet2.com/News/Jet2_com_Ce...asgow_Airport/

Jet2.com Celebrates First Year of Flying from Glasgow Airport

On Friday 16th March the airline’s first flight to Rome jetted off with Six Nations fans on board.

It has been a very successful first year for the leading leisure airline at Glasgow Airport. The past twelve months have seen it double its destinations to 16 and carry over 250,000 passengers to popular leisure destinations. It also increased the frequency of its flights to the European hotspots of Dalaman, Faro and Tenerife, adding 40,000 more seats to these popular destinations to meet customer demand – a 17 per cent increase on 2011.

Jet2.com has a programme of inbound marketing and promotion, generating awareness and encouraging overseas visitors into Glasgow. In the coming weeks Jet2.com will be holding press conferences in the new destinations of Barcelona and Rome, in collaboration withVisit Scotland and Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, to inform the Spanish and Italian media of the many reasons to visit Glasgow and West of Scotland. In June a group of Italian journalists will fly in to experience the city and the highlights of the area, to inspire their readers to visit Scotland. This activity will continue to swell the many inbound visitors Jet2.com is bringing to Glasgow which provides increasing revenue to the local economy. Over 1000 Italian visitors are already booked with Jet2.com for this summer.

The success looks set to continue, as Jet2.com today announced plans to further increase capacity in the next year. This Easter will also see the 60 new Glasgow based recruits joining the vibrant and expanding company and the arrival of the eagerly anticipated third aircraft.

Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director of Jet2.com, commented: “We are really pleased with our first year at Glasgow Airport and what better way to celebrate, than with our inaugural flights jetting off to the popular Spanish destinations of Barcelona, Malaga and Lanzarote. It is a growing base.

“It’s a very exciting time for us at the airport. Our third aircraft arrives on Friday and our 60 new staff can’t wait to get started and give our customers the friendly service they have come to expect. We are dedicated to further growing our operations at Glasgow Airport, giving holidaymakers an unrivalled choice of popular European hotspots at great value prices, direct from their local airport.”

Amanda McMillan, Managing Director at Glasgow Airport, said: “Since arriving at Glasgow Airport in March 2011, Jet2.com has more than doubled its route network and has established itself as a firm favourite among passengers.

“The airline’s decision to add three new Spanish routes including Barcelona, which is a new destination for Glasgow, is yet another example of Jet2.com responding to passenger demand and all three will undoubtedly prove popular. I would like to congratulate the team at Jet2.com on a tremendous first year at Glasgow Airport and wish the airline continued success.”

Visit Scotland’s Head of International Marketing, Denise Hill, said: “Barcelona is the single biggest market when it comes to Spanish travellers flying outbound to the rest of Europe, so the new Jet2.com flight into Glasgow presents fantastic opportunities both for building citybreak tourism as well as providing a gateway for lucrative longer stay touring holidays throughout Scotland. The low-fares, direct-access message we are working together with Jet2.com to promote is certain to stimulate further growth from the Spanish market”.

Scott Taylor, Chief Executive of Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said: “Jet2.com has enjoyed an extremely successful year since the airline started flying from Glasgow. They have more than doubled their route network to 16 destinations over the past 12 months, which has provided a welcome boost for the city in terms of driving in-bound tourism.

“The commencement of new Spanish routes to Lanzarote, Malaga and, in particular, Barcelona presents us with even greater opportunities to attract visitors and promote Glasgow as a short break destination in Spain. It also demonstrates the continued importance of the city’s Air Route Development activity.

“Spain currently represents the fifth largest international market for Glasgow with 44,000 trips made annually to the city by Spanish visitors who generate £23 million in local economic benefit. We will be working closely with Jet2.com and Glasgow Airport to implement joint marketing communications activity, which will maximise growth opportunities from this key market.

“I would like to congratulate the team at Jet2.com for its commitment to Glasgow over the past year and wish the airline continued success for the future.”
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2688
RapidTaco

Some woes at Edinburgh from the usual suspect, Michael O'Leary.

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/3...burgh-airport/

Budget airline Ryanair expected to make more cuts at Edinburgh Airport

Budget airline Ryanair is due to announce more cuts at Edinburgh just two months after axing five routes from the airport.

In February the airline said they were reducing the number of planes from seven to six. The move meant the end of flights to and from Berlin in Germany, Malmo in Sweden, Murcia and Ibiza in Spain, and Tallinn in Estonia.

On Thursday, the deputy CEO, Michael Cawley, will announce "additional cuts" at the base. It is not clear how many flights will be axed.

The last round of cuts in February is expected to take 300,000 passengers away from the airport and the company claimed it would lead to 300 jobs losses, a figure the airport "did not understand".

The flights stopped this month, although just one of the routes was operating from the airport. Flights to Malmo, Murcia and Ibiza were due to launch in the summer and planes to Tallinn have not left the airport since November last year.

Ryanair blamed a "breakdown of negotiations" about costs with airport operator BAA and warned of further cuts if the five-year competitive cost agreement is not extended.

Edinburgh Airport is on the market after the competition commission ordered BAA to sell one of their Scottish bases.

http://local.stv.tv/edinburgh/news/b...enger-numbers/

Edinburgh airport sees drop in passenger numbers

Edinburgh Airport saw a drop in the number of passengers passing through its terminal, despite boosts in travellers in both Aberdeen and Glasgow Airports.

While the capital’s international airport saw a drop of 2.8% in comparison to March last year, Aberdeen’s passengers skyrocketed 10.2%, and Glasgow was up 4.6% from the same time last year.

However, Edinburgh Airport still handled the most number of passengers, roughly 700,000 passengers versus 507,600 in Glasgow.

The capital's airport said it was expecting the drop, which it attributed to a drop in domestic traffic.

A spokesman said: "Passenger numbers are on forecast. That drop in passenger numbers is mainly based around the fact that Ryanair's winter schedule took some passenger numbers away from us.

That has been constant over the past three or four months.

"We are hopeful as we move to summer schedules that our figures will pick up."

.... not if MOL has his way it seems
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #2689
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 162

Smacks of BAA trying to keep fees high as a formula for the value of the airport when they sell it, perhaps with a bit of a scorched earth policy too, sending passengers their way while they're at it! Glad they soon won't have their hands on both!
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2690
RapidTaco

Confirmation of the axed routes at Edinburgh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-17675604

Ryanair has announced further cuts in its operations at Edinburgh Airport.

The budget airline said it would close eight routes and 60 weekly flights from October 2012.

Winter routes affected include Bratislava, Bremen, Frankfurt, Fuerteventura, Gothenburg, Kaunas, Lodz and Poznan.

In February, Ryanair cut five routes from its summer schedule, after a breakdown in talks with operator BAA over airport charges.

The airline claimed the latest cuts would see Edinburgh Airport traffic fall by 500,000 passengers a year and lead to the loss of up to 500 "on-site" jobs.

Ryanair warned that deeper cuts to its winter schedule "may be inevitable" if BAA Edinburgh failed to agree an extension to a five-year base agreement, which expires in October 2012, on more competitive terms.
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #2691
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

I do love the Scottish Media’s ability to just copy and paste a press-release without questioning any of the detail it holds.

Michael O’Leary and Ryanair are not causing the woes at Edinburgh Airport. They are entirely self-inflicted!

BAA Edinburgh agreed to a contract with Ryanair. When BAA Edinburgh signed the contract they knew it was a 5 year deal for Ryanair to use the airport for “next to nothing”. After that period, Ryanair would not be interested in paying to use Edinburgh. That’s the airlines business model for its small and temporary bases. BAA Edinburgh knew this but still agreed to the deal, knowing in 5 years time (now) it would be a case of give Ryanair the same deal with little to no financial return or lose the artificially inflated passenger figures. Now BAA has been forced to see the airport, they have chosen the latter.

Ryanare are not the only airline cutting back at Edinburgh; easyJet, FlyBe, Thomson and others have all slashed capacity from the airport this year.

Many, including MAG firmly believe the Edinburgh market is beyond saturated, with thousands of seats on offer than cannot be filled, and millions of seats on offer that cannot be sold at a profitable yield. This is backed-up with the large number of investors running a mile and the deadline date for official bids being pushed back. MAG ruled themselves out for this very reason. This is also backed-up by the retailers in Edinburgh Airport who are struggling because of the low yielding passengers passing through the terminal. If passengers are paying £10 for a flight, they are unlikely to spend that or more in the airports shops.

Edinburgh, like other airports completely reliant on low cost airlines such as Bournemouth and Belfast has introduced an expensive passenger drop-off charge. This is something you will not find at major airports such as Glasgow International, Manchester, Birmingham, London Gatwick and London Heathrow.

Edinburgh Airport whored itself out to generate artificial growth and inflated passenger numbers and now it’s coming back to haunt them as airlines slash capacity, passenger numbers plummet, profits are low and nobody seems interesting in buying the airport.

As I said earlier, Ryanair are not the only airline cutting back in Edinburgh. Look at these massive declines in passenger numbers. Its also interesting to note the biggest losses at Edinburgh are being recorded on routes that have recently been upgraded or launched for Glasgow. This would suggest these routes from EDI have been bankrolled by West Coast passengers in recent years.

Alicante is down by 21%.
Cardiff is down by 47%.
Cologne is down by 52%.
Cork is down by 9%.
Dublin is down by 10%.
Faro is down by 31%.
Fuerteventura is down by 40%.
Galway is down by 34%.
Gran Canaria is down by 48%.
Lyon is down by 35%.
Madrid is down by 22%.
Malaga is down by 38%.
Milan is down by 7%.
Munich is down by 10%.
Rome is down by 49%.
Shannon is down by 46%.
Sharm el Sheikh is down 62%.
Zurich is down by 27%.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2692
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Sticking with Glasgow's Airports, you just need to look at the headlines since January.

Ryanair launch four new routes from Glasgow Prestwick
12 April 2012

New FlyBe route from Glasgow to Newquay takes-off
11 April 2012

British Airways increase flights from Glasgow to London City
05 April 2012

Double delight for FlyBe passengers flying between Glasgow and Donegal
03 April 2012

Glasgow International Airport records one of its busiest weekends
02 April 2012

Jet2 celebrates its first birthday at Glasgow International with the launch of four new routes
30 March 2012

easyJet announce winter expansion from Glasgow International
27 March 2012

Thomas Cook add direct flights from Glasgow to Venice
23 March 2012

Passengers numbers up in February as new international flights take-off
15 March 2012

Sunwing Airlines increase flights from Glasgow to Toronto
07 March 2012

FlyBe increase capacity at Glasgow International Airport
05 March 2012

Strong growth in international passenger numbers for January
15 February 2012

Meet and Greet Airport parking comes to Glasgow International
14 February 2012

Aer Lingus increase flights from Glasgow to Dublin
26 January 2012

PIA Pakistan International Airlines could return to Glasgow
25 January 2012

First and Citylink join up journeys between Glasgow International Airport and Edinburgh
24 January 2012

Glasgow International Airport wins new direct flights to Lyon, Nantes and Paris
20 January 2012

2011 is a year of strong and consistent growth at Glasgow International Airport
19 January 2012

Emirates add second daily flight from Glasgow to Dubai
10 January 2012

http://www.flyglasgow.net/news.html

Old April 12th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #2693
david_gla

Likes (Received): 567

British Airways raises hopes over Glasgow jobs

More good news for Glasgow....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-17692547

Quote:
British Airways has said it will look to create jobs at its engineering facility in Glasgow, after owner IAG announced its purchase of airline BMI could lead to 1,200 UK redundancies.

The news came as BA began consulting with unions on plans to integrate BMI into its operations.

The proposed UK redundancies will mainly affect BMI's head office at Castle Donington and regional airports.

BA said it would look to create jobs in Glasgow from January 2014.

An unspecified number of jobs may become available then, as a contract for BMI aircraft heavy maintenance work outside the UK expires.

The sale of BMI by Lufthansa to AIG was announced in December and regulatory approval was granted by the European Commission on 30 March.

The deal is expected to take effect on 20 April, IAG said.

BMI employs more than 3,600 staff, but reported a £153m loss in the year to 2010.

There is still uncertainty over the future of BMI's regional division, based in Aberdeen, which has attracted interest from private investors.

IAG said discussions with potential buyers of the division were continuing.
david_gla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2694
djmaxliving

Likes (Received): 141

Loganair to operate Glasgow to Leeds-Bradford service

The Flybe franchise carrier will launch services between Glasgow and Leeds-Bradford Airports with two flights each weekday from Tuesday May 8. It will also introduce a Sunday evening service in each direction from September 2, marking the return of weekend schedules after a gap of several years.
The new service will safeguard business links between Glasgow and West Yorkshire and will also open up excellent connections from Leeds Bradford, via Loganair’s hub at Glasgow, to destinations throughout the Scottish Islands.

The new flight timings facilitate connections via Glasgow to points including Stornoway, Kirkwall, Sumburgh, Tiree, Barra and Benbecula.

Fares on the route start from £59.99 one-way, including all taxes. Importantly, Loganair has made a pro-active decision to set the price of its fully flexible business-type tickets some 10% below the fares previously charged by bmi British Midland on the route, which it believes will be welcome news for cost-conscious business travellers in the current economic environment. All fares include a checked bag of up to 20kgs and free in-flight refreshments.

Loganair’s chief operating officer Jonathan Hinkles said: “We are delighted to be announcing the launch of services between these two airports. Loganair has every confidence that its successful formula will re-vitalise this crucial air service between Scotland and West Yorkshire and help to ensure that business links between these regions are maintained and developed.”
Francois Bourienne, commercial director at Glasgow Airport, said: “Loganair’s swift decision to step in and operate the Glasgow to Leeds-Bradford service is excellent news for the airport and for passengers. This is a popular business route and we are delighted Loganair has guaranteed its future.”
Loganair will use 34-seat Saab 340B aircraft on the route. There will be flight departures from Glasgow at 07:10 and 17:15 hrs and return flights from Leeds Bradford at 08:45 and 18:50 hrs on weekdays. Sunday evening services from September 2 will operate at the same time as weekday flights and the airline has indicated its willingness to increase the frequency of service on weekdays if demand warrants more flights.

Loganair operates its scheduled services under a franchise agreement with Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline, and flies over 500 flights every week within, to and from Scotland.
Bookings on the new route can be made from tomorrow (18 April) at www.Flybe.com. Passengers booking to travel between Glasgow and Leeds Bradford before August 31 can also benefit from double Rewards4All points, and more details of Flybe’s Rewards4All programme can be found at www.flybe.com/rewards4all.

http://www.glasgowairport.com/about-...route-to-leeds
djmaxliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2695
djmaxliving

Likes (Received): 141

Wow .

Jet-lag busting flight set to take off from Glasgow to Mexico

SCOTTISH passengers will be able to fly on the revolutionary new Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft from Glasgow to Florida and Mexico from May next year, Thomson Airways has announced.

The plane, which will make its Scottish debut, has been touted as helping to banish jetlag and making long-haul routes from Scotland more viable because of its fuel economy.

Thomson will operate the aircraft on weekly flights between Glasgow and Sanford in Florida and Cancun in Mexico from 1 May 2013 - although this will be four years later than expected because of production problems.

The firm has hailed the Dreamliner as “the greatest advance in air travel for passengers since the development of Concorde in the early 1970s”.

Boeing has said the plane could fly further and 20 per cent more efficiently than other aircraft.

It said passengers would suffer less jetlag thanks to novel features such as lower cabin pressure and higher humidity to reduce dehydration, while windows are three times the size of those on current planes.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transpo...cookieSet=true
djmaxliving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #2696
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxliving View Post
windows are three times the size of those on current planes.
I'll take the trip just for that!
Old April 20th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #2697
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Also, not yet picked up by the media, Jet2 have added Gran Canaria as a new destination from Glasgow International Airport and Ryanair have added Warsaw from Glasgow Prestwick. Great news all round!

Glasgow International to be home to the world's newest aircraft; the Boeing 787 Dreamliner
20 April 2012

Glasgow International Airport is the be home to one of the World’s newest aircraft as Thomson Airways confirm it will base one of its Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft at the airport.

Thomson Airways will be Britain’s first airline to fly the Boeing 787 and the airline has confirmed it will base one its Boeing 787s at Glasgow International Airport, making it the first and only airport in Scotland to handle the £62million brand-new long-haul jet.

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner has capacity for up to 228 passengers and is 20% more fuel-efficient than any other aircraft currently in operation. The 787 is also the first aircraft to be built almost entirely from composite materials.

The aircrafts composite fuselage structure enables a lower altitude cabin pressure of 6,000ft as opposed to the standard 8,000ft, which will lead to less travel related headaches, sickness and fatigue. Its use of advanced materials also means a higher cabin humidity which will reduce the symptoms of dryness and dehydration, which in turn will lead to a reduction in jet-lag.

The 787 Dreamliner also has the benefits of wider cabin aisles, higher ceilings, bigger windows and significantly quieter engines.

Thomson Airways will begin using its Glasgow based Boeing 787 to operate direct flights to Cancun, Mexico and Olrando, Florida from May 2013. Currently the airline uses its fleet of Boeing 767s to operate these flights.

The Glasgow to Cancun route, which is Scotland’s only direct route to Mexico, is one of the country’s fastest growing air-routes with the latest figures showing that the number of passenger travelling between the destinations grew by an impressive 21% in March. It is hoped the launch of the 787 from Glasgow could lead to more flights on existing popular routes, such as Cancun and see the introduction of other new long-haul routes.

Chris Browne, managing director of Thomson Airways, said: "We are thrilled to be flying the aircraft in our summer 2013 flying schedule from Glasgow International Airport, giving Scottish passengers the chance to travel on this amazing new aircraft."

Amanda McMillan, managing director of Glasgow International Airport, said: "To be the first airport in Scotland to welcome Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner will be a huge honour and we are delighted Thomson Airways has decided to base one of its new aircraft at Glasgow International.

"The Dreamliner is at the cutting edge of aircraft design and with regards to comfort, it will provide Scottish passengers with a unique flying experience. The Dreamliner will undoubtedly prove a huge draw for Thomson Airways and we are looking forward to its arrival in May next year."

Third consecutive month of strong growth at Glasgow International Airport
17 April 2012

Glasgow International Airport has recorded its third consecutive month of strong growth in 2012, with international passenger numbers soaring.

Overall, the number of passenger using Glasgow International Airport in March rose by 4.6%, while the number of international passengers grew by an impressive 13.8%.

Much of the growth has been generated by a surge in the number of international flights on offer from the airport. Since the turn of the year, 11 new routes have been launched from Glasgow to destinations including Amsterdam, Barcelona, Geneva, Madrid, Stavanger and Rome.

Alongside new routes contributing to the growth of the airport, a number of establish routes also seen a dramatic rise in passenger numbers, with the ever-popular Glasgow to Palma route proving to be Scotland’s fastest growing route, with an incredible 335% rise in passenger numbers. Other routes to record significant growth were Amsterdam; which was up 51%, Reykjavik; which was up 37%, Berlin; which was up 35%; Copenhagen, which was up 25%, Paris; which was up 18% and Geneva, which was up 13%.

The growth was not just confined to European destinations. A number of the airports long haul routes also recorded impressive growth, with Las Vegas leading the way. Figures show the number of passengers flying direct from Glasgow to Las Vegas increasing by an incredible 127%, compared with the same period last year. Other long haul routes to record significant growth were Cancun; which was up 21%, and Dubai; which was up 7%.

The growth in passenger numbers was also not just confined to international flights as figures rose on many of the airports domestic routes. The biggest winner in Glasgow’s domestic market was Exeter; which saw passenger figures rocket by 84%. Other domestic routes to record growth were Southampton; which was up 26%, London City; which was up 18% and London Gatwick; which was up 11%.

The strong start to 2012 is expected to continue throughout the year with a further eight new routes still to take-off to destinations including to Lyon, Nantes, Paris, Toronto and Venice. There will also be increased capacity on existing routes with Emirates Airlines doubling the number of flights it operates between Glasgow and Dubai, while Aer Lingus and FlyBe will both increase the number of flights on offer between Glasgow and Ireland.

Amanda McMillan, managing director of Glasgow International Airport, said: "We have been working extremely hard to expand our route network and the addition of a number of new destinations such as Madrid and Rome, are undoubtedly a factor in attracting more passengers to the airport.

"The Easter getaway ensured we had a busy start to April and with a number of major conferences taking place in Glasgow in the coming weeks, we hope this trend can continue."

http://www.flyglasgow.net/news.html

Old April 20th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #2698
chromaticsauce

Likes (Received): 6

BMI sale to IAG completed

Quote:
International Airlines Group (IAG) has completed the purchase of bmi from Lufthansa...... bmibaby and bmi regional have not been sold prior to completion. Under the terms of the purchase agreement, IAG will also acquire these businesses and receive a significant price reduction.
http://www.iairgroup.com/phoenix.zht...377&highlight=
chromaticsauce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 03:14 AM   #2699
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

Be good to see the 787 Dreamliner fly in and out of the city, what a fantastic piece of engineering by Rolls Royce.

Old April 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM   #2700
Targer

Likes (Received): 4

An excellent video on the construction/manufdacturing of Rolls Royce aero engines but no mention of Rolls Royce hillington?
Targer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: