daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #361
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

I agree it needs a spire....But I'm just not sure about the one in the renders :S. But overall I like the tower and hope it gets built.

Any rough idea when a decision will be made?
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #362
Us3

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron

It's very Calatrava!! I saw this building on Discovery Channel (program about skyscrapers in future) and there where great animations with this building. SUPERB PROJECT!!!!
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #363
Iron
Somewhere Back In Time

Likes (Received): 759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us3
when did u see that i would love to see that
I saw that few month ago in polish version Discovery Channel. But it was 2005.
If building will be built it'll be really showy!!

Last edited by Iron; August 27th, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
Iron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #364
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

From CHICAGO SHAWN (who was present at the meeting)

"-Tower roof height now 1465'

-The floor plates of the tower range from 1400 square feet at the base to 7000 sqaure feet at the top

-The sites (two are being combined) lie within the Original Chicago Dock and Canal Planned Development, which was created roughly 10 years ago when the Ogden Family began selling all the dockland sites (about 40 acres) in Streeterville.

-The Original Planned development allows for a 35 story tower and a 55 story tower with a combined 616 units. This is higher density than the proposed Fordham Spire.

-The 5 star hotel will contain 150 rooms, with limited meeting space to reduce the traffic load in the neighborhood. (250 rooms were originally planned).

-Ingress and egress is proposed and seeking approval from the city from Lower Lake Shore Drive, which has in the past been set up for a future signalized intersection with North Water Street and never happened. The LSD access would further reduce conjestion in the neighborhood and should simmer down NIMBY complaints.

-Even without the LSD access, peak hour conjestion from the tower with full occupancy and no hotel vaccancy is projected at 60 cars per hour, so 1 extra car per minute.

-Riverwalks will be extended under lakeshore drive on both the Chicago River and Ogden Slip, providing full prominade access to DuSable Park.

-There are 800+ names on the waiting list, with some people wanting to put down money now, even though full marketing has not begun.

-The Tower will front the river and lie dirrectly east of River View tower 1. A park will be placed on top of the parking podium, which will be about level with upper LSD.

-The possiblity of townhouses tucked into the base along Ogden slip and on the west side of the base is being explored.

-According to the group running the bird hospital at Miegs Field, a slender tall tower is less harmful to the birds than two squat towers.

$104 million Mezzanine Loan is already backed by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (I believe thats the right organization)

There was no opposition present at the meeting, and the tower was praised by quite a few people."

"Preliminary funding I guess is already covered, I was shocked at hearing about the mezzanine loan. Corus Bank has also expressed intrest in investing in this project as well, that is who required the 40% factor for pre-sales.

The Riverwalk extension is being done by the Fordham Company. They are throwing $500,000 towards DuSable Park development.

Carley and his gang are meeting all the time with nieghborhood groups, in fact they wrapped up the Grant Park Meeting at 7:15 and headed off to Lake Point Tower for another meeting at 7:30. Basically they are arguing that by combining the two development sites into one slender tower, they are reducing the density and improving the appearence of the development, as opposed to building two bulky towers and maxing out what the current zoning allows as of right. Therefore all complaints about conjestion are invalid due to the simple fact that they are planning less than half of what they could build as many units as of right.

-Naturas is holding a Neutral opinon as of now, all though he has said in the past that he loves the design. He wasn't present at the meeting.

-No mention of when marketing will begin, the sales center told me October two weeks ago."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #365
spyguy
Expert

Much thanks goes to Chicago Shawn for attending them meeting and then reposting and explaining the information.
Old September 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #366
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

With all this good news it seems almost certain this tower won't get the axe. And a little increase in height is always welcome
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 04:54 PM   #367
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

looks like it is really going to be build.
great news.
no date of construction start mentioned though?!
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #368
Khanabadosh

Likes (Received): 14

Design is absolutely beautiful. This will be landmark in the history of skyscrapers.
Khanabadosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #369
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
looks like it is really going to be build.
great news.
no date of construction start mentioned though?!
Actually, the units havent even hit the market yet. They will officially in October. I believe they are looking for breaking ground in April/May 2006.

This is great news.
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #370
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

It's great to hear more and more news like this coming out. I'm surprised there hasn't been some major opposition or nimby attack yet. It seems to have really created a buzz and with so many people interested the financing shouldn't be that difficult but time will tell. It has a far better chance of getting built than other towers of a similar height but still, that's not saying much.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #371
spyguy
Expert

Yeah, I think the chances have been boosted significantly because of this news.
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #372
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

The Fordham has been built! The model that is
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #373
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

The spire is way too tall, they need to raise the floorage.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #374
spyguy
Expert

More exciting news from the meeting

Info by BVictor:

Quote:
On another matter, I was able to attend a meeting on Fordham Spire, presented by the condo association of the River View Condominiums, which are directly west of the site. I wasn't able to stay for the whole thing, but I did learn quite a few things, and I'm sure that Shawn will add more to this when he can. The developer, Chris Carley was present at this meeting.

Carley said thathe and Calatrava agreed upon for elements for the structure: It had to be tall, slender, elegent and spectacular.

Currently the sites are zoned for about 912,000 FAR for the square footage, and the building doesn't exceed this, but instead of building 2 seperate towers, one of 35 floors and the other of 50, he's combining them. Currently the land is zoned for upto about 600 units. The tower will have 200-250 units and about 150-160 hotel rooms, down from 250.

The 2 parcels combined are about 96,000 sq. ft. or about 2.2 acres.

Carley also said the they haven't been scouting hotels, but hotel companies have been seeking them out. He said that they've been speaking with a hotel operator and that there might be an announcement within the next couple of months.

The building will be 100% glass curtain wall. There will be some balconies, but the balconies will be apart of the floorplate and apart of the unit. A type of sliding glass screen will be involved that you can slide open.

There will be 1 level of underground parking and the base will rise to the same level of upper Lake Shore Drive. They are also looking to have building access from lower Lake Shore Drive as to minimalize the impact of traffic on North Water Street.

They expect a 32-36 month construction schedule. There will be 90-something caissons (I believe that this number is just for the tower)

There are also intities interested in putting antennas atop the tower for broadcast and HDTV
Oh, and my revised 'shopped version:
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #375
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 19

brilliant,futuristic design

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #376
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Looks a lot better. It used to looks smaller than Sears but seems to be about right now.
Old September 18th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #377
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Floor plates are 1400 at the base ..and 7000 at the top?
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:45 AM   #378
Spearman
NWO Henchman

Likes (Received): 638

It drives me mad that this actually stands a chance at getting built. I love it even more than the skyneedle! I would perhaps say that they should trade a few meters of spire for a few more meters of building, but, frankly, if I was in charge of this, I'd be too nervous to touch it at all
Spearman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 01:16 AM   #379
Darius

Very impressive. I hope it gets built, after all those super-spectacular proposals that were never realized in the Windy City. The spire does look a bit oversized indeed but on the whole, it's a great building and IMHO, an awesome addition to the skyline.

I'm asking myself if and when it gets approved.
Darius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #380
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 3

Hope it's built!
ChiLooper no está en línea   Reply With Quote