daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #441
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtj
I'm sure Chitown will build it....

I wonder what it'll look like when the Fordham is built.
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #442
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Awesome update from BVictor, so I thought I'd share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I was able to visit the sales center for Fordham Spire last weekend and there isn't too much information to report. They still want to begin sales sometime in January. I was able to view a few renderings of the proposed sales center for Fordham Spire. The sales center is going to be in the base of The Pinnacle. I believe that it will open is several months.

I was able to see some interesting shadow diagrams. Thankfully I had my camera with me.

This first set of diagrams is for 10:30 a.m

The next set of diagrams are from 12:30 p.m

The final set of diagrams are from 2:30 p.m

There was also a diagram of the 33rd floor.

Finally, there was also a skyline black&white perspective. It doesn't include Fordham Spire, but you'll notice Trump Tower, and in the distance you'll see the Waterview Tower was included, **FINALLY**!!!
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #443
spyguy
Expert

Holiday Card, probably with the most accurate height:

Old December 17th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #444
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

Thank you, Spyguy. It looks nice.

Dear Father Nick, I am really a good boy. I mean, really. What I want for Xmas is to have FS to become a reality.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #445
3tmk
Rusty Robot

^lol
I should wish for that too
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:36 AM   #446
spyguy
Expert

Just a little update if you care:

One Chicago forumer went to the sales center a few days ago and reports that the sales manager claimed that this tower would be approved sometime in February.
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #447
jeremy stephens
rogerick1970

Likes (Received): 2

So when is this tower supposed to start construction. And how high is the highest occupied floor in this building
jeremy stephens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #448
blucloud
Photog

This is one of the most exciting projects for me right now, I hope that it moves forward. There is so much going on in ChiTown (Trump, Waterview, et al), and I cannot wait to visit there next week!
blucloud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #449
spyguy
Expert

You may even witness the beginning of some prep work for Waterview next week.
Old December 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #450
blucloud
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
You may even witness the beginning of some prep work for Waterview next week.
That would be nice! I'm definitely going to be walking by there, among many other spots (Trump construction, Millenium Park, etc.).
blucloud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 12:22 PM   #451
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

when is it going to start being built?
Audiomuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 02:09 PM   #452
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 83

still can't beat supertall in dubai..

the undefeated burj.
pedang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2005, 08:45 PM   #453
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

That would be true if Fordham were trying to compete with Burj. The height on this building is in direct correlation with its design. Not to say mine is bigger than yours.

As far as start of construction, it was reported from the the developer that he wanted to start in late spring/summer of 2006. Unlikely but wierder things have happened. I think they have started pre sales for the building. There are strigent guidelines that are in place before anything can be be built in Chicago. We cant just throw things up because we're backed by tons of cash. Im pretty sure we'll hear more from this project in 2006. Things have to be done properly and as of now we sit and wait. And thats okay.
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #454
spyguy
Expert

Nice update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
They are once again advertising this building. There was a full one-page add for it today in the Real Estate section of the Tribune. I called the number, and they said that a sales center will be opening sometime in February.

I was also able to visit DeStefano + Partners with Shawn and things are progressing on this project. Remember that no floor is alike, so that means that no unit is alike. We were also told that some alterations to the base have been made, and it's possible that the tower will meet the ground unobstructed. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #455
spyguy
Expert

Old January 16th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #456
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

That is one sexy building. Can we have it?

DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #457
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000
At 1465 ft it still doesn't reach Taipei101 to the roof (1469 ft)

At 1588 ft you get US7.
At 1614 ft you get SWFC.

Not to ruin the weather in Chi-town but this building is only 11 ft higher than Sears (to roof that is). Still looks nice and all but they need to raise the height while keeping the spire up to 2k.

Since they are going to have the tallest in Chicago, why not make it look like it is the tallest.

Huh? Unless you get stuck up on 20 feet here or 100 feet there (which is stupid) what does it matter when you get into the height category of 1000-1600ft? The Bank of China for instance will be nowhere near the top ten in a few years (I think) yet I can't imagine that it will fall off from one of my top two or three scrapers in the world. The same goes with buildings like Chrysler (which will not be top 25) or Petrons (not one of my very favorites but highly regarded).
If one is to go with height=best then why even talk about design, location, and visual appeal? If they wanted to they could push this building up past the 2,000 ft. mark if they really cared to but they are not going for a WTB here. And frankly a +2,000 ft. building runs the risk of dimishing the rest of the skyline (its at least something to consider). Some people say the Sears dominates the Chicago skyline too much from the western angle and that is not even 1,500ft. It would be like putting Mt.Everest in the middle of a 16,000 ft. mountain range and making the rest of the range look small and insignificant.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM   #458
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

Wow what a scraper!!! Calatrava's design is wonderfull

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #459
ChgoLvr83

Likes (Received): 1

http://www.suntimes.com/output/busin...-carley23.html

Progress and changes reported in TV spire plan
January 23, 2006

BY DAVID ROEDER Business Reporter Advertisement

The developer of a planned 2,000-foot-tall building near Navy Pier has modified its design while claiming substantial progress in his campaign to finance the $500 million venture.

Christopher Carley, chairman of Fordham Co., said interest from prospective investors and residents has been "beyond my wildest imagination." He said he hopes to nail down financing arrangements for the combined condominium and hotel building by the end of next month.

Carley submitted an application to City Hall on Jan. 13 seeking zoning authority for the building, which will contend for the title of "world's tallest,'' depending on the final height of its spire. The application starts an official review process that culminates in a City Council vote.

It shows that Carley and his celebrity architect, Santiago Calatrava, have altered the design of the building's top and its base. The spire -- the central design feature of the building's unique, twisting profile -- would be altered to hide two antenna masts.

Santiago Calatrava unvieled this model of the 2,000-foot Fordham Spire in July. He has since eliminated the base and modified the spire to better hide huge TV antenna masts.
Carley said the masts could accommodate digital TV broadcasts for Chicago stations, or be employed for some other use.

The other alteration is to the base. When the project was announced last July, the design called for the 115-story building to flow into a large pedestal.

Instead, the pedestal is gone along with the building's formerly underground parking garage. Instead, Carley and Calatrava plan an adjacent parking garage four or five stories tall just north of the building.

The garage is still being designed and will include a landscaped roof that will be roughly alongside the elevated Lake Shore Drive, said Betty Eaton, a volunteer at Streeterville Organization of Active Residents, a civic group monitoring Carley's plans.

Carley said the changes were made in response to community reaction from more than 13 meetings about the building. It would arise at 462 E. North Water on land zoned for two buildings of about 50 stories each.

Streeterville neighbors have praised the architecture and embrace his arguments that a tall, slender building will block fewer views and less sunlight than two shorter but wider high-rises, Carley said. His plan calls for up to 300 dwellings and 150 hotel rooms.

Eaton said SOAR, the community's leading civic group, has yet to take a position on the project, preferring to wait on final details.

[email protected]
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:14 PM   #460
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

The spire looks a lot better, but I'm not too happy about this parking garage non-sense.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote