daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #41
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

It's awesome that the city I live in is getting a windfall all of so many great projects, but I'm not terribly happy about this tower, in fact, I hate it, for a couple reasons:

1. I'm a big fan of the Sears

2. I don't like Calatrava

4. From that microscopic rendering, it looks like one tall spire, instead of a building.

5. While it may be a masterpiece by itself, (hard to tell from that rendering), it is totally and completely sticks out like a sore friggin thumb in the Chicago skyline. Not only is the design totally at odds with Chicago's rich balance of styles of skyscraper, but the bright white lighting and color totally upstages the rest of the skyline in a gaudy, crappy way.

And did I mention that it's a terrible, terrible location that totally detracts from the balance of the Chicago skyline, by far the best planned and best looking skyline in the world

......buuut I'll try to keep my mind open till wed
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #42
NWside

Likes (Received): 2

^ We can't rush into judgments until the official unveiling on Wednesday. The towers focal point right by the mouth of the Chicago river is the perfect location.... Until Wednesday the Calatrava Tower looks great from a distance, I'm just hoping it does the same up close.
NWside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #43
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #44
Blabbyboy
Melbourne Zealot

Great news and Calatrava is a truly awesome architect - finally a DECENT NEW supertall proposal! But I have a question: has Calatrava ever designed a skyscraper before?
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #45
NWside

^ Come on... How can that be a sore thumb? Even though this is all in the preliminary process, and could make the list as another scrapped super tall for Chicago, the optimist in me hopes all these 1000'+ towers will ensure the cities skyline to remain a powerhouse for decades to come.
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #46
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^From that perspective, the skyline still looks well-balanced. But my concern is that with Trump and (possibly) the Waterview in the same corridor along the river, these three super-talls might be competing for space and attention, sort of the way Aon and 2 Prudential compete. That's not to say that I don't want this tower built, of course... Just a thought.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #47
NWside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen
^From that perspective, the skyline still looks well-balanced. But my concern is that with Trump and (possibly) the Waterview in the same corridor along the river, these three super-talls might be competing for space and attention, sort of the way Aon and 2 Prudential compete. That's not to say that I don't want this tower built, of course... Just a thought.
Are you implying a "jumble" of super tall skyscrapers from other vantage points? All I can imagine is traveling down the Chicago river in 6 years.....
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:51 AM   #48
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^True, from the river, these buildings will look unbelievable. Assuming Waterview and Fordham are built, it will be perhaps the best skyscraper canyon in terms of density, height and architectural integrity. But from the east, these three buildings might "cancel each other out." It's not that big of a deal for me, just an observation. I'm completely humbled and excited that this building might end up as a part of our skyline.
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #49
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

Something tells me a better placement for this tower would be Wolf Point. Then it could be a focus point from downriver at least two directions.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #50
NWside

Even though Wolf Point is an excellent site for a super tall, it's more fitting for a Commercial building rather then residential.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #51
dewback

Likes (Received): 1

I hope this one doesn't endure a premature death, its very promising.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #52
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWside
^ Come on... How can that be a sore thumb? Even though this is all in the preliminary process, and could make the list as another scrapped super tall for Chicago, the optimist in me hopes all these 1000'+ towers will ensure the cities skyline to remain a powerhouse for decades to come.
Dont get me wrong, so do I, but I just don't think its being on a lakefront location adds more to the skyline than it takes away.

Perhaps if it weren't so glaringly bright compared to the rest of the skyline it wouldn't be so distracting... and the shape and color from the thumbnail/description of the building doesn't scream 'chicago' to me Architecture more complementary to the city's existing skyline would be much better balanced
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #53
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^That's a fair point. Chicago's buildings are very massive and thick, so the Fordham Tower seems like a strange contrast. But this is the new era of ultra-modern architecture in Chicago. This is our chance to rejuvenate our skyline with something outside the box in terms of what the status quo has been in Chicago. 80 South Street doesn't necessarily conform with the prevailing style of buildings in New York, but it's a welcome change from the norm nonetheless.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #54
oshkeoto

"5. While it may be a masterpiece by itself, (hard to tell from that rendering), it is totally and completely sticks out like a sore friggin thumb in the Chicago skyline. Not only is the design totally at odds with Chicago's rich balance of styles of skyscraper, but the bright white lighting and color totally upstages the rest of the skyline in a gaudy, crappy way."

I completely disagree.

This is wonderful not only for the obvious fact of having the tallest building in the country built by one of the most famous architects in the world on our lakefront, but because with TTC and Waterview, this is really going to transform the feeling of the Chicago skyline. We're not going to be dominated by International Style obelisks anymore--we've got TTC, an unmistakeably modern, if conservative, tower; Waterview, an intimate, feminine counterpart to Chicago's broad-shouldered existing supertalls; and the Calatrava, whose ultra-modernism will hopefully plot the course for other towers that will once again make Chicago an architectural trailblazer.

Not to mention that the Chicago River will now be undeniably the coolest urban corridor that has ever existed.
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #55
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Oshkeoto -

It's amazing that you put your post from SSP here, because I was looking for that exact post over there only seconds ago so that I could bolster the point I was just trying make. I really like what you said.
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #56
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3632

I'm quite doubting over the approval from the City Council since even the shorter Trump couldnt surpasses JHC due to the approval process.

But The design is way unique and the height is even more sunning.....I just really wishing for it

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #57
yoyoniner

I think if anything, Chicago's skyline needs something like this---tall and THIN, not just a box.
yoyoniner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #58
yoyoniner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I'm quite doubting over the approval from the City Council since even the shorter Trump couldnt surpasses JHC due to the approval process.
I don't think the City Council was the barrier for Trump's height. The barrier was Trump himself. Remember he changed it from 2000 to 1360 feet based on worries. The City Council would have approved it either way.
yoyoniner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #59
dancethingy

Likes (Received): 6

Chicago has always been in the front lines of innovative design, its in our history. For the city to remain monotonous and stagnant on its design would be a wreckless departure on our status as the first American city of architecture. Although the design is not VERY Chicago, the fact that it is on a massive scale makes it Chicago. Remember, in Chicago, one must dream big and Calatrava has done just that.

The only reason its glaringly bright is because illustrators want to set the building apart from the rest of the skyline. It's their way of punctuating where the tower is going to be and how it fits with the rest of the skyline.

I like the tower where it is. As was posted earlier, it is Chicago's version of Alexandria's famous light house. I think the tower compliments the Skyline by setting itself apart from a linear row of towers. From a distance, the Sears, Aon, and Hancock look like they arranged in a linear fashion. This new tower creates a dimension in the skyline that makes it more dramatic in my opinion.

Overall, i think it adds immensly to Chicago's "Heroic Skyline" (a great Calatrava quote). Let's see what the critics come up with tomorrow, specificly Mr. Blair Kamin.
dancethingy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #60
oshkeoto

^ I also disagree that this tower is a complete rejection of Chicago-style architecture.

We've seen some light and glassy buildings go up in this city over the last decade.

Not to mention that this is does not appear to be a radical design. It's twisty, alright, it's light-hearted compared to the dark monoliths that have dominated our skyline for 30 years, but that appears to be it. It's not gaudy (that white light is obviously exaggerated in the renderings), it's not a bizarre sculpture a la Taipei 101, nor ultra-futuristic, like Calatrava's 80 South Street in NYC. In a very preliminary way, I'm filing this with Marina City as a unique design that still fits well in Chicago's architectural tapestry.

(My only reservation is that this isn't in an area that gets a lot of foot traffic. The ideal location for this, I think, is on Randolph on the northern border of Grant Park. But then, of course, it wouldn't be on the river. So who knows. Nothing is absolutely perfect, I guess.)
oshkeoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote