daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #21
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Likes (Received): 1

And the angry dominatrix Eileen who should have been cast as one of Ma Boswells adversaries in Bread.

Sponsored Links

Old September 5th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #22
General Zod
General Zod

Likes (Received): 0

If you think Eileen can pass for a Dominatrix then you are sick and need to find a new dungeon.

www.generalzod.net/
General Zod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #23
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

U r sick thinking of her in that way - I meant she likes to dominate every customer and is a ridiculous power freak. I'm sure Wayne Rooney wouldnt say no though.
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #24
General Zod
General Zod

You should use the word 'Domineering' then. Dominatrix suggests something different.

I'm sure she wears peep hole bras and shouts at the chef 'Just cook will yeh !'.

www.generalzod.net/
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #25
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Maybe this is what is putting people off the hotel, it defo needs a makeover, building and staff wise, whenever i have gon in i always feel like i have gone back in time to 1982
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #26
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!

LOL!
Brings back memories of "Just Cook Will Yer"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/local...i/series.shtml
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #27
General Zod
General Zod

Just read that webpage thanks. I can't believe bookings went up after that docusoap. The people running the place made it look un-professional and gave Liverpool's reputation a kick in the balls.

Would you apoint Eileen Downey as a manager ? Maybe to a branch of Sayers but not a large hotel.

www.generalzod.net/
Old September 5th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #28
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

It was a nightmare, the whole staff in there were useless, I can remember one episode where some bellboy fell asleep and never got sacked. He was just a waste of space and had to be told every day how to do his job. I wouldnt pay 120 quid a night for a novelty factor of staying in a run down hotel populated by staff who could **** up a cup of tea. You do that when you pay 20 quid a night in a B & B in Blackpool cos you want to spend the rest of your cash on ale.

Eileen reminds me of a woman who should work in Sayers actually Zod, either that or Greggs. I can just imagine her giving the hairdryer treatment to a dim scally umpa lumpa faced girl who puts the beef pasties on gas mark 8 instead of 6.
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #29
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

Zod, what is the site for the Layla hotel? - went past this morning on teh bus and there was a lot of restoration work & scaffolding on the go round Sir Thomas Street
Old September 5th, 2005, 07:57 PM   #30
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 23

I remember reading that `Eileen` was promoted to one of Manchesters top Britannia Hotels............never mind.
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #31
General Zod
General Zod

There isn't a website for the Layla hotel. I did start a thread a few months back. I suggest you flick back a few pages and see peoples comments there along with the original Echo article. The Layla hotel just seems to be going through a bit of restoration work at the moment. No obvious hotel action at the moment.

www.generalzod.net/
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #32
John Matrix 1985
Get to the Chopper

when i said site - what i meant was what actual building
Old September 6th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #33
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 997

The municipal annexe, next to the municipal building.
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #34
Pietari
Just something

Question Church Street - Lord Street - Whitechapel Hotel(s)

Given that the PSDA will pull a lot of retail in it`s direction and we have Matthew Street / Met Quarter and Queens Square / Bold Street / Ropewalks in the other direction towards the `Cultural Quarter` and the `Lime Street Gateway` .......

It would be appropriate to open a hotel or two or more in the Church Street / Lord Street / Whitechapel areas.

The big benefits would be pavements and convertable buildings and street day time and night time movement between the various areas making hotel bars / cafes and resturants the place to be....in between `Quiggins` and the various others quirky outlets.
Old October 4th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #35
Pietari
Just something

Arrow Merseyside attractions get the green light.....

Merseyside attractions get the green light

Merseyside Tourism Businesses are country's most environmentally friendly

Twelve Merseyside visitor attractions and hotels have been singled out as the country's most environmentally friendly in a unique pilot scheme.

The twelve have received accreditation through the Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS), which examines the overall performance of a business against more than 100 criteria. Issues looked at include Waste, Transport, Wildlife, Energy, Culture, Communication and Marketing.

'Green tourism' is a term used to describe best environmental practice within the tourism sector, which includes providing a clean environment for visitors and minimising the negative impact on surrounding areas. The scheme has successfully operated in Scotland for the last five years and has now been piloted on Merseyside, as well as three other regions in England (Blackpool, Brecks and South Hams).

The accredited attractions are...

Aachen Hotel, Liverpool
At Peel Hey Guest House, Wirral
De Vere Daresbury Park, Warrington
Gladstone Hotel, Liverpool
Goose Meadow B&B, Liverpool
Holiday Inn Liverpool city centre
International Inn, Liverpool
National Wildflower Centre, Knowsley
Radisson SAS, Liverpool
Regent Maritime Hotel, Liverpool
Speke Hall, Liverpool
Tate Liverpool

Martin King, Director of Tourism at The Mersey Partnership, said: "We are committed to providing tourists with a visitor experience of the highest quality and encouraging local tourism businesses to be aware of their environmental impact on our destination. As one of only four regions in England pioneering this scheme we hope others will sit up and take notice for the good of the industry UK-wide."

John Proctor, Technical Director of the Green Tourism Business Scheme, said: "We are delighted that Merseyside's tourism industry is addressing its environmental performance through the Green Tourism Business Scheme and the significant benefits that this can have, not only for the businesses themselves but for the destination as a whole. I look forward to working with Merseyside and building on our success so far as the city-region builds towards Liverpool's 2008 Capital of Culture showcase. As a destination the number and range of businesses involved in the scheme is a good foundation particularly as many have achieved the SILVER award."

The National Wildflower Centre was the only venue to attain a 'Gold' grading, which GTBS describe as providing "excellence in environmental practice."

Grant Luscombe, Chief Executive of the National Wildflower Centre said: "We are delighted to be the first recipient on Merseyside of a gold award under the scheme. This reflects both the hard work and dedication of our staff and the ethos at NWC as a whole in seeking to minimise our environmental impact. The award gives us a great platform to build from in the future and has energised staff to seek further ways of improving our performance."

The Green Tourism scheme is being developed on Merseyside as part of The Mersey Partnership's wider commitment to the promotion of sustainable development in all of its activities and within all of its partnerships. For more information on Merseyside's 'green' attractions see www.visitliverpool.com/green <http://www.visitliverpool.com/green>
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #36
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!

Pietari,
"Holiday Inn Liverpool city centre"!
They must mean the one in the Albert Dock, surely?
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #37
pjmulholland

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix 1985
It was a nightmare, the whole staff in there were useless.
They still are.

I booked a night there for my nan who was visiting. She got ill and I had to cancel. My credit card was charged anyway even though I gave enough notice. They're still refusing to give the money back as of this moment as I don't have a "cancellation number" Needless to say they never gave me one.
pjmulholland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #38
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix 1985
It was a nightmare, the whole staff in there were useless, I can remember one episode where some bellboy fell asleep and never got sacked. He was just a waste of space and had to be told every day how to do his job. I wouldnt pay 120 quid a night for a novelty factor of staying in a run down hotel populated by staff who could **** up a cup of tea. You do that when you pay 20 quid a night in a B & B in Blackpool cos you want to spend the rest of your cash on ale.

Eileen reminds me of a woman who should work in Sayers actually Zod, either that or Greggs. I can just imagine her giving the hairdryer treatment to a dim scally umpa lumpa faced girl who puts the beef pasties on gas mark 8 instead of 6.
Ha ha ha. "umpa lumpa", spot on mate.
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #39
Pietari
Just something

Exclamation The one above St John`s Precinct.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouserdave
Pietari,
"Holiday Inn Liverpool city centre"!
They must mean the one in the Albert Dock, surely?
Dave,

"Holiday Inn - Liverpool city centre" is I think the one above St Johns Precinct.

What used to be the "St Georges" (Trust House Forte)

There are several `Holiday Inns` , Express etc.

The more hotels - the more you gotta advertise to fill `em.

And hopefully better service as you can vote with your wallet.

Old November 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #40
Red scouser
European Champion

Hotel buys police station Nov 9 2005
By Bill Gleeson, Daily Post

THE Hope Street Hotel is to expand after its owners paid £1.4m to buy the building next door.

The hotel company has taken possession of what was the Merseyside Police headquarters on Hope Street. The last remaining staff of the Merseyside Police Authority vacated the former station last week.

Hope Street Hotel owner David Brewitt said he expected to submit a planning application for the conversion of the building's existing 10,000 sq ft into a hotel together with another 5,000 sq ft of new space to be added as an extension to the premises. The building currently has permission for residential use.

The acquisition of the former police headquarters is part of an expansion strategy that could see the hotel group open new venues in Manchester and Chester. It follows the success of the 48-room boutique hotel since it was opened two years ago. Mr Brewitt said it currently enjoys an 80% occupancy rate.

Hope Street Hotel is currently marketed as part of the Design Hotels Consortium.

The conversion will be masterminded by Liverpool architectural practice Falconer Chester.

"We would like to do something very interesting with it. It will be a modern version of the existing hotel," said Mr Brewitt.

He added: "The new building is an ugly 60s design, but we will turn it into a sparkling hotel."

It is hoped that an upmarket spa operator can be attracted to use part of the extended premises. There will also be conferencing facilities.

"I think we will spend about £1.5m redeveloping the building.

"I think we may have paid a bit over the odds for it, but it is more valuable to us than anybody else. I'm sure we can make it work.

"There are lots of developers out there who keep chasing us because of the success of the hotel.

"I would like to have five hotels in say five years' time..

"There are 700 people a night staying in four star hotels in Liverpool. We would like to offer something approaching five star standard," said Mr Brewitt.

Red scouser no está en línea   Reply With Quote