daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old July 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #101
Doctor Robot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Crikey!

Crime-hit Adelphi told: Sort it out - or get out

Jul 27 2006

By Adrian Butler Daily Post Staff

LIVERPOOL'S most famous hotel could be thrown out of Merseyside's Tourism Board if it does not clamp down on thieves.

The warning comes after it emerged four in five city centre hotel burglaries are taking place at the Adelphi.

But managers last night defended the hotel's record, saying its size meant the ratio of thefts to guests was still low.
Doctor Robot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #102
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Robot
Crime-hit Adelphi told: Sort it out - or get out

Jul 27 2006

By Adrian Butler Daily Post Staff

LIVERPOOL'S most famous hotel could be thrown out of Merseyside's Tourism Board if it does not clamp down on thieves.

The warning comes after it emerged four in five city centre hotel burglaries are taking place at the Adelphi.

But managers last night defended the hotel's record, saying its size meant the ratio of thefts to guests was still low.
I feel sorry for it, the poor old tart. Only been in it during the Yoko, 'My mother was beautiful, too' exhibition a couple of years ago but it was clearly past its prime. You could tell it had been an empress, used to the finest and best of everything but now reduced to buying its beauty products from Park Road market near closing time to be sure of getting the best buys. What looked like marble was often plastic, and the carpets in the public areas looked as though they had witnessed one too many piss-ups. It's a beautiful space, and with a great deal of money spent on it could easily compete with the best in the world but its current owners seem content to pimp out its reputation, and the reality is usually disapointment characterised by the reports from that American golf sado last week.
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #103
Wormella

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL
You can see this building through the coverings, and the stonework has been cleaned to reveal the golden colour of the sandstone. It's a great old building with a modern extension on top, yet more activity for the city centre, can't wait for it's completion.
I walked past it today (No camera, sorry) and it's looking very nice.
Wormella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #104
liverpolitan

Look it up on Tripadvisor.com http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...l_England.html

There are horrific reviews by people who have stayed there. As for journalists, I think only those who want to attack the city will choose to stay there, and they probably have a nice room at the Hope Street hotel or somewhere that they sneak back to once they've witnessed the horror of the Adelphi.

It is a terrible liability to Liverpool - I hope it can be closed before 2008.
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #105
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan
Look it up on Tripadvisor.com http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...l_England.html

There are horrific reviews by people who have stayed there. As for journalists, I think only those who want to attack the city will choose to stay there, and they probably have a nice room at the Hope Street hotel or somewhere that they sneak back to once they've witnessed the horror of the Adelphi.

It is a terrible liability to Liverpool - I hope it can be closed before 2008.
The Adelphi like Liverpool is an easy target and often gets bad press.

Sometimes it can be quite poor standards wise and other times really quite surprising.

I wouldn`t say that the Britannia Group are excellent but the Adephi Hotel - potentially is.

And it remains the single biggest hotel in the city, with what, over 350 rooms?

And isn`t there a £30m makeover planned before `ECoC 2008?`

Leave the Adelphi alone .....
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #106
Pietari
Just something

Talking Rooftop bathtubs and tea with a twist at The Alex .....

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/t...name_page.html

Rooftop bathtubs and tea with a twist at The Alex Jul 27 2006

By Sophie Freeman Daily Post Business Staff

A LUXURY boutique hotel is to be created at the former headquarters of Liverpool shipping firm Blue Star Line.

Union House, opposite the newly-opened Metquarter shopping centre, on Victoria Street, will be converted into The Alexander Hotel by summer 2007, if planning permission is granted.

The hotel will have 31 bedrooms and Liverpool-based development firm Property Regeneration hopes to start on site this autumn.

The building has a host of features, including a specially-commissioned mural showing scenes from the company's tea plantations in China and these will be retained in the new hotel.

Property Regeneration managing director, Gavin Raw, said: "It's a lovely building with a fabulous location opposite the Metquarter and on the border between the city's business district and retail area. That gives us a real advantage in attracting business people seeking a relaxed and unique venue and cultured leisure travellers who want a taste of modern Liverpool."

Union House was the base of Sir William (later Baron) Vestey's meat and shipping empire, founded in Liverpool. The company built its fortune in farming and livestock production in South America and to ship their produce back to the UK, the Vestey family created the legendary Blue Star Line in 1911.

The Alexander Hotel will include a cocktail lounge and a new restaurant on the lower ground floor, occupying the former Don Pepe's tapas bar, together with meeting rooms and a residents' lounge.

"Our aim is for a genuinely sophisticated hotel with a relaxed feel and a great cocktail lounge has to be a must in that regard," said Mr Raw. "We'll also be reinstating the tradition of afternoon tea, but with a twist, of course."

Top-floor penthouse suites will include rooftop hot tubs and giant telescopes.

The £3m project will create 20 new jobs and is being designed by the architects who have been behind the boutique Hope Street Hotel, Falconer Chester Hall.

Architect Adam Hall said: "The building is a delight and a challenge. It has beautiful glazing, which will be restored, and rare English marble panelling.

"The original owners believed in showing off their status as ship-owners and merchants and this will give The Alex a real twist as a place to be."
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #107
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietari
The Adelphi like Liverpool is an easy target and often gets bad press.

Sometimes it can be quite poor standards wise and other times really quite surprising.

I wouldn`t say that the Britannia Group are excellent but the Adephi Hotel - potentially is.

And it remains the single biggest hotel in the city, with what, over 350 rooms?

And isn`t there a £30m makeover planned before `ECoC 2008?`

Leave the Adelphi alone .....
The problem is the lack of elan demonstrated by the Brittania Group of hotels. £30 million spent by people with no taste is £30 million wasted. If the Adelphi is going to survive in a meaningul way it needs to be taken over by the Rocco Forte group of hotels - they know how to dress up a boss tart. I looked in the tea leaves this morning and I saw a kitchen fire getting out of hand, closure, an insurance claim, and (this will break your heart, Pie) a conversion to one and two bedroom apartments.
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #108
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool8
The problem is the lack of elan demonstrated by the Brittania Group of hotels. £30 million spent by people with no taste is £30 million wasted. If the Adelphi is going to survive in a meaningul way it needs to be taken over by the Rocco Forte group of hotels - they know how to dress up a boss tart. I looked in the tea leaves this morning and I saw a kitchen fire getting out of hand, closure, an insurance claim, and (this will break your heart, Pie) a conversion to one and two bedroom apartments.
The Adelphi does Liverpool's reputation harm. There are plenty of good or decent hotels in Liverpool nowadays. A look at the reviews of these hotels on tripadvisor is evidence of this.

Unfortunately, the Adelphi's historical fame and the 90s "lets make fun at the Scousers in the zoo" tv programme infamy are such that people have heard of it and for some journalists (yes, the often the ones who want to slag off the city), the hotel is a natural choice. Not necessarily is it chosen out of spite, but because it's so well known they think its Liverpool's premier hotel, rather than just about its worst.

Also, because the place has more beds than Walton they'll get a room nae probs.

Hence, a quite a few "My God, so this is Liverpool (the Lime Street stn to Adelphi horror zone)! And this is its best hotel!" have appeared in the past from dimwitted journalists who haven't done their basic research. Didn't a book come out written by some snooty superannuated foody knobend a few years back when he travelled around the UK and slagged off Liverpool mercilessly for having no appreciation for food whatsoever?

Why, he dined in what he thought was the city's premier establishment, the Adelphi's restaurant and unsurpisingly was fed lukewarm slop. Ha! That proves it! At the time, the nationally noted 60 Hope Street, and what was then Becher's Brook had opened and there was plenty of other decent small restaurants already open.

Also we get dozy old Formby Beryl, whom the national press seem determined to contact whenever they want the "voice of Liverpool" popping up now and then to say what a terrible place Liverpool is nowadays because when, in her infrequent visits to the place, Ms Bainbridge stays at the Adelphi, she finds it's "not what it was." Stay in the sodding Hope Street Hotel you daft old bat!

And when will the London press realise that a septegenarian women from Formby, who has lived in Primrose Hill for fifty years, is one of the last people you'd go to if you wanted to know about contemporary Liverpool.

So, yeah, it's laziness on the part of outsiders to some extent, but the Adelphi needs tens of millions spent on it by a different hotel group to its owner or it would be best closed down, the damage it is causing the city's image.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #109
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
And when will the London press realise that a septegenarian women from Formby, who has lived in Primrose Hill for fifty years, is one of the last people you'd go to if you wanted to know about contemporary Liverpool.
They won't because they don't want to, all they are looking for is a headline, screw the truth!!

As the reporter at last weeks' Open said they were hoping for a disaster but it just turned out to be great!! says it all really.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #110
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

It's got to be only a matter of time now before a serious player comes in and does something proper with this hotel. This could be the classiest hotel in the city, what says ye a big makeover before 2008 kicks in....! No chance unless a new buyer is found, and the current owners will be a big blot on Liverpool's image.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #111
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 871

Personally, I wouldn't mind it becoming a Liverpool branch of the Hyatt chain.
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #112
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze

The arse end of Dale St

This brought back disturbing memories of Feb 2000 when I walked past it a few weeks ago. Looks like the lazy pigs didn't bother changing the phone number, even though they were still there years after the area code changed.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/rob*******1/DSCF2311.jpg[/IMG]

Hard to imagine this is on Dale St. Although you can see all the demolition and new build construction creeping up behind it. The blight is being wiped clean.

EDIT: is General Zod still around. I'm sure he'll sppreciate this pic.
Blabbernsmoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #113
liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool8
We might disagree a lot, but we are quite like-minded. That is my own private thinking on this, but I didn't want to write it here in case the hotel burned down in the night and some Inspector Einstein decided I was the prime suspect. But it is the obvious solution to this problem for everyone. And I agree that flats rather than a hotel are the most likely, it's probably not suitable for economic conversion into a modern hotel. High quality serviced apartments / short-lets: it's a big market, and I think that is a function the Adelphi could fulfill well.
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #114
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Location: Beside the lake, Beneath the trees, Fluttering and dancing, In the Breeze

This cretinous shower of imbeciles who are running the Adelphi really need to be bought out urgently. They are a disgrace and an embarrassment. And that beautiful old building, described by Charles Dickens in the nineteenth century as "the finest hotel in the world", deserves better. I know various people who have stayed there and enjoyed themselves, but they all seem to mention the impressive, but nonetheless DATED, nature of the insides. And we all know from that awful old documentary how it is run.

All of this nonsense about crime happening there. It is just embarrassing and shit. I am certain that some rich hotel chain would love to take this building on. Buying out the Britannia group must be cheaper than building a whole new hotel.

Mind you, the Britannia group do entirely suit the area of town that they are in. In fact, the Adelphi building stands out like a sore thumb there. The area is a fucking dive, and is full of grizzily, scary types of a night time.- No wonder though really- in parts it is effectively a back street. I hate it round there. Some of the retail buildings in that area are pealing and rotting and look like they are trapped in the 1980s. It is bizarre that that area is in the condition it is in. Tired, dated and faded.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/rob*******1/DSCF2316.jpg[/IMG]

The Vines pub looks beautiful, but is basically a fancy shell containing drop outs and crap beer (Robert Cain would be summersaulting in his grave!)
Lewises is a beautiful old building, but is struggling.
Adelphi is a beautiful building but is a bit... well we've all heard about the way it is run.
Plus numerous retail units that look like they are located in hell.

Mind you, Central Stn and the improved access between Renshaw and Bold St, not to mention Chieftain if it gets the go ahead, could help to lift this area. And maybe a decent company will buy the old best hotel in the world.

Old July 28th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #115
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Oh my god. Just noticed the sign in that pic i posted. Is that the same Kumar Bros who own Cains. Or am I getting my Indian names mixed up??
Old July 29th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #116
Blabbernsmoke
BANNED

Oh, just remembered. I think they're called Dusanj or something. Never mind. Kumar is that weird programme that was on. I wonder if the Grandma owns those shops?
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM   #117
Pietari
Just something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyman
Personally, I wouldn't mind it becoming a Liverpool branch of the Hyatt chain.
It would be great if the `Hyatt` chain bought out the Adephi although I`m not sure where they would be able to put their atrium!

Ah, I know they could finally complete the building and stick the atrium at the rear and build a nice extension as originally propossed.

Sorted.
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #118
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

According to the NW Enquirer an American journalist who was covering the Open had the misfortune to stay at The Adelphi. It left him so scarred that he left calling your city 'Cesspool'!
As a museum piece the Aldephi is fine, as a 'first impression' for visitors to 21st century Liverpool it is, i'm afraid, an embarrassment and even worse (judging by the Yank jorno's reaction) a liability.
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #119
Pietari
Just something

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
According to the NW Enquirer an American journalist who was covering the Open had the misfortune to stay at The Adelphi. It left him so scarred that he left calling your city 'Cesspool'!
As a museum piece the Aldephi is fine, as a 'first impression' for visitors to 21st century Liverpool it is, i'm afraid, an embarrassment and even worse (judging by the Yank jorno's reaction) a liability.
No not really, just an over reactionary `Yank` and let`s not forget that the `Liverpool Adelphi` is run by a `Manchester based Hotel Group`..... go figure.

The `Adelphi` is a proper hotel - just run badly.
Old July 29th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #120
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietari
No not really, just an over reactionary `Yank` and let`s not forget that the `Liverpool Adelphi` is run by a `Manchester based Hotel Group`..... go figure.

The `Adelphi` is a proper hotel - just run badly.
Put your hand on your heart and tell me you would be glad to part with hard earned to stay there?
I dont think the yank over reacted - he just stayed in an shit hotel and i get pretty pissed off aswell when i shell out lots of money to stay in a horrible hotel.
The 'Cesspool' comment makes him a **** though but thats not a first for a) a yank and b) a journalist is it?
If its any consolation the Britannia in Manchester is shit aswell and smells of stale piss and the whole organisation is run by fools.
The Adelphi isnt a 'proper' hotel and it is disingenuous to claim otherwise. Just to claim its run badly doesnt reprieve it - a hotel is only as good as the people who run it.
Ergo - its a shit hotel.